• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Vortex Fury HD LRF Binos

So what’s the verdict on the glass quality? Same as the original Fury...with that blue-ish hue? Or did Vortex upgrade a bit?

I have been running the Vortex Fury 5000 for about a month. I am really impressed with the product. The glass clarity is better than their Viper RT's, but obviously not as good as a pair of 5-year-old Swarovski. (just bino's no LRF). I didn't notice a blue tint, but I am not the best at colors. I have ranged trees out 4328 yards on an overcast day with snow on the ground. (using a fence post for stability). I was able to get constant readings at the Nabours black Angus cows at 1143 yards resting on the truck window. They did struggle to range a grove of trees at 600 yards in very heavy wet snow. It would read the correct range but it would switch between 12 yards every range in between. If i did not know the range I would not have been able to know the correct range when I got it. I did not bring another range finder with me to compare, but it would have been tuff for any range finder under those conditions.

Reactions: Stevo3556
I know they can adjust for angles if you want but if you use the true distance do they show the angle so you can input that into your ballistic app?

Chad,

I just set mine up like you are describing, LOS I believe, and then they give you the angle to input in your ballistic computer.

Steve

Last edited:
Chad,

I just set mine up like you are describing, LOS I believe, and then they give you the angle to input in your ballistic computer.

Steve
Ok thanks,
I looked at a pair briefly today in store and they look pretty nice. I didn't see an angle in the display, just the yardage so not sure how they were set up. I would like the Los and angle so that my app gives the proper wind.

So i looked at a pair today in the store. We put a brand new battery in it.

a) it only worked some of tbe time. And by that I meant that pushing the laser button didn’t light up the display. frequently.

b). If I held the button down eventually it would fire in scan mode only.

c). Glass was VERY good at this price range.

d). Made in China.

c). Had a difficult time ranging with them as the button was sort of inop. Got to 800m and that was it.

Still haven't purchased a set of Fury 5000's, but thinking about it. Glad to hear it on c). I should probably go check out a local shop and see if they have a demo pair in the case that I can look through.

I'm not totally happy about d) either on principal, even if they meet all Vortex's specs... sometime in the last couple of years it appears Vortex has moved all their binocular and spotting scope production to China. Used to be the higher end lines were Japanese produced while the mid and lower end lines were Chinese produced. My Gen 1 Razor HD 20-60 85mm spotter is made in Japan while the newer Gen 2 Razor HD 27-60 85mm spotter is made in China. Same goes for their higher end binoculars... older production ones were Japan, newer ones China.

So i looked at a pair today in the store. We put a brand new battery in it.

a) it only worked some of tbe time. And by that I meant that pushing the laser button didn’t light up the display. frequently.

b). If I held the button down eventually it would fire in scan mode only.

c). Glass was VERY good at this price range.

d). Made in China.

c). Had a difficult time ranging with them as the button was sort of inop. Got to 800m and that was it.

The laser reading is in the right eye piece so if you are not looking directly through both then it will appear it's not showing up but it's there. Also there are two buttons up top, the mode and laser button so if you press the mode you won't get anything unless you hold it down to set the features.

The laser is strong and fast. Played with it at Frontline and the farthest I could get a straight shot on was about 1600 yards on a tree limb and hit no issue. Hitting closer targets had a fast refresh as you moved targets.

I do agree the glass is very good. It was so easy on the eyes to just scan through them compared to an old set of binos I had.

I’ll give the eyepiece straightness another look.

The laser reading is in the right eye piece so if you are not looking directly through both then it will appear it's not showing up but it's there. Also there are two buttons up top, the mode and laser button so if you press the mode you won't get anything unless you hold it down to set the features.

The laser is strong and fast. Played with it at Frontline and the farthest I could get a straight shot on was about 1600 yards on a tree limb and hit no issue. Hitting closer targets had a fast refresh as you moved targets.

I do agree the glass is very good. It was so easy on the eyes to just scan through them compared to an old set of binos I had.

Reactions: Rob01
I squadded with someone who had the sig kilo BDX's so we got to do some side by side. I think the glass on them was almost identical, either one not being perfectly focused was a much bigger gaff than the any optical quality between them.

I didn't use the LRF on his but we spotted on both pairs throughout the day out to 650 with no issues.
I'm a satisfied user of my fury's at this point but also wouldn't hesitate on the Sig's either if you can find them and/or the computer stuff if a feature for you.

Reactions: triatleta
Initially I wanted to go on the terrapin-X, then were launched Kilo 3000 and fury5000 that would seem to have better performance than the X, look to see them side by side to decide on which to go....

It's good to hear the glass is good.

I want to ~replace my Vanguard binoculars which have a generic ED glass. They have just barely a hint of CA on bright objects near the edge of the FOV which I have to intentionally look for to notice. If the Vortex is near that image quality and the Sig Kilo 3000 (which I'm getting) it's equal, I'm losing nothing except one item in my load out.

So i got my chance to go back to Sportsman’s Warehouse and hit up the 5000 again.

It was still not working right, but me and the counter guy were able to figure out it was because of something wrong with the battery housing. It was loose or something and as such when you pushed hard on it the laser worked fine and when you let go it immediately shut down.

The battery cap was on tight, so that wasn’t it.

They are sending it back to vortex.

My LGS just posted a weekend Vortex sale and listed the Fury 5000 for $899! Safe to say I’ll have a pair tomorrow to test.

Areeves08, does your LGS sell online or by mail?

False Alarm. Reading comprehension almost did me in. Turns out, they were blowing out the original Fury. I swear the ad said 5000, but I read it again and I was incorrect. I guess I’ll order from EV.

I would love for it to not do compensation and still show the angle in the display, when using ballistic apps you do NOT want a compensated distance from the LRF, you want to plug the actual distance along with the angle so the ballistics app can not only compensate for vertical drop but also for wind and if you use a compensated number in your ballistics app your wind values will be off.
Yea buddy! That's exactly my thoughts as well. All the ballistic Solutions need to happen in one place. Line of sight and angle is key.

Reactions: Boondocks_80