• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Vortex Fury w/ AB?

Didn't mean to suggest it was, my bad. Wicked excited for these to arrive... :coffee:

Reactions: seansmd
I have a pair sitting on my desk here, so if you have any questions please feel free to direct them to me.

The Binos can use the firing solution directly off the Garmin Tactix Delta Solar with AB if a user wishes. It can also use the Firing Solution directly off a Kestrel. Or they can use the built in solution. With the setting set to "Kestrel Solution in Fury" it will also function the same way with the Garmin Tactix Delta.

I have a set of Fury 5000 and Fury 5000 AB for side by side comparison. A good amount of effort was put in the new Fury 5000 AB Binos to improve ergonomics. For instance they have improved buttons, and the button design allows for steadier handling when depressing the range button so you get less to no push off the target when activating the laser.

Reactions: RS14
Is there good fit room for the RRS strap tripod mount?
What style objective covers are included?
How about a through-glass view of the reticle? :cool: :coffee:

Is there good fit room for the RRS strap tripod mount?
What style objective covers are included?
How about a through-glass view of the reticle? :cool: :coffee:
1) Yes it will work with the RRS, however I use and really really like this one: https://vortexoptics.com/sport-binocular-adapter.html

2) It comes with front and rear covers. The Obj covers are independent rubber pop on/off covers. The same as you get with the other Vortex binos.

3) For the best reticle view, I would actually suggest watching the Vortex videos. They do a good job of showing it off.

Reactions: StrayDog
EuroOptic has the pre-order at $1,500, which is kind of an odd place for these binos unless they've received a substantial upgrade in "glass". It's not too hard to find the previous model of Leica Geovid HD-Bs for about $2k during certain times of year, not to mention demo/refurb units. The Sig 3000's could be had for about $800 around the holidays, and were ~$900(ish) normally when I was checking.

Is there some functionality that these Vortex units have that the Sigs don't? And/Or, did the Vortex get a substantial upgrade in coatings or something? The last couple Fury's that I looked at were pretty bad with the blue-ish tint in one barrel, but maybe these are better?

The AB solver is definitely better that the Leica solver. But to me, the vortex either needs to compete with the Sigs at the ~$850 price point, or they need to have made a big jump in the "glass" department to get closer to the Leica's to warrant a ~$1,500 price.
I think a lot of the price is the AB license. Think about what it costs to buy a single bullet profile in the AB app, now imagine paying for access to all of them. There's a few hundred bucks in bullet profiles you'll never use.

eff all that noise about what ballistic solution is better..

how good is the glass?. straight up, what class are these things in.

FOV, depth of field, pin cushion distortion, how do they control CA and veiling glare

how good is the range finder? is it fast? will it still give 1000 plus ranges into a setting sun? etc etc.

and lastly what's battery life below say 20 degrees? if this thing won't bang out ranges on a 14 day hunt where the high is 34 and the lows hit -5 this thing is an ez pass. been there done that. i can at least stuff a small rf inside my puffy until i need to use it. bino's are in the harness or on the tripod for hours. the battery is getting cold.

eff all that noise about what ballistic solution is better..

how good is the glass?. straight up, what class are these things in.

FOV, depth of field, pin cushion distortion, how do they control CA and veiling glare

how good is the range finder? is it fast? will it still give 1000 plus ranges into a setting sun? etc etc.

and lastly what's battery life below say 20 degrees? if this thing won't bang out ranges on a 14 day hunt where the high is 34 and the lows hit -5 this thing is an ez pass. been there done that. i can at least stuff a small rf inside my puffy until i need to use it. bino's are in the harness or on the tripod for hours. the battery is getting cold.
Glass is good, on a tripod looking at the same object from my razor HD gen ii at 10x, the image is comprable. No noticable CA but at lower magnifications it's not really an issue. No pinching or 3d distortion that is noticable to be but I have done most of my glassing on it at ranges past 1k where if it was there, it would be hard to spot. I haven't spent much time looking anywhere near the sun where veiling glare would be super noticable, but I can say based on the contrast of the image I see that veiling glare shouldn't be a concern.

The rangefinder is very fast, but at farther distances with higher magnifications. You need to have a steady hand to get quick readings right the first time. Either way, I find it faster than the terrapin X I just sold. The first day I got it I was able to range mountains out to 2300 yards with the setting sun to my 2 o'clock. I didn't give much scrutiny to the image quality at the time though.

Sunday I went out shooting and had the binos with me. It was snowing lightly and about 25 degrees. Both myself and my buddies were playing around with them most of the day and I still have battery to spare though I don't know how much.

Not trying to give a glowing review to make myself feel better about dropping 1500 on a set of binos but I am seriously impressed at where these things come in at, just like a lot of other vortex products.

Cold and heat are the nemesis of batteries. The general rule of thumb I learned is that expected battery life below freezing is about half as compared to around 70 degrees with certain types. If you are going to be in extreme hot or cold it is always best to have a spare battery with you. The Vortex come with a really nice pouch that has a zippered pocket on the back. Great place to keep a spare battery.

These binos are also Bluetooth as well. Which is known to not be kind to batteries.

Roger that: range only or hunt from truck setup for the hunting season.

frustrating because the feature set looks good on paper.

8D2F5786-94DC-4CE0-8244-A4BC69304EFB.jpeg

Last edited:
got it, range only, hunt from truck setup for the hunting season.

frustrating because it all looks so good on paper.

View attachment 7539325
Please elaborate....
Got it, range only?
Frustrating? Good on paper?

So I interpret what you posted as they only look good on paper and don’t perform in real use?

Curious as to what you meant to say or a more in depth review.

Yeah, none of that made sense.

I pulled the trigger on a pair the other day. They should be in next week and I'm going to test them thoroughly. I don't really have any top shelf glass to compare them to, just some razors. Will be able to put them up against a terrapin X as far as ranging.

the Idea of having a world class ballistic solver, that spits out wind holds, built in weather station etc etc.. man that’s sweet. Range finder that’s fast. Glass that’s fairly good for doing what we hunters need bino’s to do. Observe.. aka It all sounds good on paper.

But, the battery situation is the same as all other rangefinding bino’s.. range toys or day hunts.

Pretty hard to keep temps up on bino’s when they sit on the tripod for hours at a time.

Have owned (edited for correct models) the fury gen 1 with 1600 yard capability, sig 3000’s, the bushnell fusion arc 1 mile, Leica HD-b (first gen with the big barrels, and I believe they were 2400’s.. the first gen ballistic solvers)

My mate had the el Range.

They all suck once they get cold. I don’t think adding the ballistic solver and internal weather station is going to improve battery life. Jus sayin.

Last edited:
the Idea of having a world class ballistic solver, that spits out wind holds, built in weather station etc etc.. man that’s sweet. Range finder that’s fast. Glass that’s fairly good for doing what we hunters need bino’s to do. Observe.. aka It all sounds good on paper.

But, the battery situation is the same as all other rangefinding bino’s.. range toys or day hunts.

Pretty hard to keep temps up on bino’s when they sit on the tripod for hours at a time.

Have owned (edited for correct models) the fury gen 1 with 1600 yard capability, sig 3000’s, the bushnell fusion arc 1 mile, Leica HD-b (first gen with the big barrels, and I believe they were 2400’s.. the first gen ballistic solvers)

My mate had the el Range.

They all suck once they get cold. I don’t think adding the ballistic solver and internal weather station is going to improve battery life. Jus sayin.
Oh I see. you're just talking about battery life. Well you do have a point, these and the non AB Fury use the same cr2 battery. Add in all the new features and bluetooth and the battery life will be shorter for sure. Luckily for me I'll be operating in much higher temps 99% of the time, if I do go on a hunt in sub freezing temperature, I'll be sure to bring spare batteries.

I’d assume then you’re using for what it’s stated purpose is:

Range use and truck based hunts.

Same bin as pump pillows and 18lb rifles.

Nothing wrong with that.

Not at all. I live in Texas so I rarely see freezing temps. If I'm up in the mountains in Colorado it's early archery season. Even then I won't be constantly using laser or bluetooth. Sure, there will be lots of range use and truck based hunts but not entirely. I'm definitely going to put them through their paces before I completely rely on them for a pack-in hunt.

I've been using my ABs for a few months now, and used them in a match for the first time this past weekend, taking home a 2nd place trophy from the Vortex Optics Team Sniper Challenge at Coleman's Creek. We used these binoculars a TON during the match, and they never let us down once. Many other top teams were using them as well. The ranging was flawless, even in some challenging fog and light conditions, and the data was spot on. I'm super impressed with them, and we'll be using them more and more in team matches for sure.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    125.2 KB · Views: 85
I've been using my ABs for a few months now, and used them in a match for the first time this past weekend, taking home a 2nd place trophy from the Vortex Optics Team Sniper Challenge at Coleman's Creek. We used these binoculars a TON during the match, and they never let us down once. Many other top teams were using them as well. The ranging was flawless, even in some challenging fog and light conditions, and the data was spot on. I'm super impressed with them, and we'll be using them more and more in team matches for sure.
Scott, how is the glass? I looked through a pair briefly at the match, but was really playing more with the ranging and ballistics. How does it compare to the older Fury’s?

Scott, how is the glass? I looked through a pair briefly at the match, but was really playing more with the ranging and ballistics. How does it compare to the older Fury’s?
I've found it to be very good. It's not the UHD glass you're going to find in the Top-Line Razor UHD binoculars, but it's still very good. I never had a set of the Fury's before the "5000" came out, so I can't compare to that.

I wonder what the cost would be if they did a Razor UHD w/ AB.
You could easily figure that it would add $1k. Still would be cheaper than Swarovski EL Range and closer to the Lecia 3200.com. The current glass is good enough for average hunter that the Fury AB is designed for.

Reactions: littlepod
You could easily figure that it would add $1k. Still would be cheaper than Swarovski EL Range and closer to the Lecia 3200.com. The current glass is good enough for average hunter that the Fury AB is designed for.

I was looking at the 3200.com, but the 5yr warranty only was a little worrisome for electronics so pricey. And I heard bad bluetooth issues with it. So far just sticking with my sig kilo 3000bdx

I was looking at the 3200.com, but the 5yr warranty only was a little worrisome for electronics so pricey. And I heard bad bluetooth issues with it. So far just sticking with my sig kilo 3000bdx
Warranty is also not transferrable with Leica which is another downside, they have one of the worst warranty's in the business but they sure do make great optics

I would buy it at $1k more than the current Fury AB, but I don't think it would be $1k more, I think it would be slightly less.

Reactions: littlepod
Hey all, trying to use the Vortex Fury HD app on iOS and it just keeps crashing. I’ve uninstalled, reinstalled, checked that my iOS up to date. Turned my phone off then back on.
Not sure if there’s anything left to try or if the binos are pretty much useless until they fix the app. @DocUSMCRetired would this be anything you might be able to help out with or is it strictly a vortex issue? Thanks!

You can just run em in HCD mode for a nice LRF bino until the Apple app is squared away?
My Pixel is getting along well for setup, can't wait to shoot a match with these things.

Do these have the same issue as the razor 4000 in low light? After sunset before actual dark the image is washed out with red when you try to range to the point I can't see the target or animal to range.

Hey all, trying to use the Vortex Fury HD app on iOS and it just keeps crashing. I’ve uninstalled, reinstalled, checked that my iOS up to date. Turned my phone off then back on.
Not sure if there’s anything left to try or if the binos are pretty much useless until they fix the app. @DocUSMCRetired would this be anything you might be able to help out with or is it strictly a vortex issue? Thanks!
Mine work great on my iPhone with Software Version 14.4.

Have you tried to take the battery out of your Furys to do a soft reset?

Failing that, call the Vortex guys in the AM, they'll walk you through set up.

You can just run em in HCD mode for a nice LRF bino until the Apple app is squared away?
My Pixel is getting along well for setup, can't wait to shoot a match with these things.
I suppose, but then I’d just use my Leica RF binos. I was hoping to get practice in using these as a more expedient solution for the NRL hunter match coming up in a couple weeks. If the app isn’t fixed by then it’ll be really annoying to have just purchased them and can’t get them to work.

Mine work great on my iPhone with Software Version 14.4.

Have you tried to take the battery out of your Furys to do a soft reset?

Failing that, call the Vortex guys in the AM, they'll walk you through set up.
I’m also on 14.4 iPhone 12 Pro Max. Just tried pulling the battery but no dice. It’s not the binos, it’s the app. I can’t even get the app to stay opened long enough to do an initial pairing.
These are brand new just opened the box today, so it’s still default settings like moa, default profile, etc.

We're you able to choose"keep devices on" in the app?

Turn off bluetooth on the phone and try starting the app?
Ok so I tried turning off the Bluetooth access for the individual app and that allows me to use it and it doesn’t crash. I just can’t do anything because to access the bullet library you’ve got to be connected to a fury device it says and obviously can’t Bluetooth any settings to the binos since the app doesn’t have Bluetooth access anymore. Very strange.

Ok so I tried turning off the Bluetooth access for the individual app and that allows me to use it and it doesn’t crash. I just can’t do anything because to access the bullet library you’ve got to be connected to a fury device it says and obviously can’t Bluetooth any settings to the binos since the app doesn’t have Bluetooth access anymore. Very strange.
Yeh I was thinking toggle it off to get it to start. And then turn blue tooth back on

I'm using an iPhone 12 mini, ios 14.3 and am having no issue with the vortex app or bt connectivity.....

So just to update, the app randomly started working, but I didn’t change a single thing on my phone or binos from yesterday lol gotta love electronics. Not sure how that’s possible, but I’ll take it.

Reactions: DocUSMCRetired
Finally took a day off and got to play with the Fury ABs a little bit. Much prefer them on a bag and plate than mounted.
Started playing around with the far treetops, saw a hawk, and was able to repeatedly range it broadside while circling at 948 yards against the sky on scan mode.
PXL_20210312_155445013.MP.jpg

Reactions: Defender3 and RS14
Is anybody getting the opposite wind hold than what it should be with these sometimes using the fury solution blue toothed to the kestrel. Kestrel displays correct, but in the furys it seems like the closer you get to a head or tailwind the more it tends to give the hold in the wrong direction as the degree value in the other screen seems to be off.

Is anybody getting the opposite wind hold than what it should be with these sometimes using the fury solution blue toothed to the kestrel. Kestrel displays correct, but in the furys it seems like the closer you get to a head or tailwind the more it tends to give the hold in the wrong direction as the degree value in the other screen seems to be off.
I've seen the same issue, wind holds in the Fury are wrong when paired with the Kestrel and "Kestrel solution displayed in Fury" is set to "off". I spent quite a bit of time on the phone with Vortex yesterday afternoon trying to figure it out. They gave me a few ideas to try and want me to call back next week. I suspect it may be a software/firmware glitch because when the Fury is paired with my Garmin, the Garmin is sending my entered winds and environmental data to the Fury which according to the manual (and Vortex) shouldn't be happening (although it would be cool if it worked right). Also the displayed wind holds are wrong unless I set the wind direction to 9:00 on the Garmin in which case the solutions on the two devices is about the same.

I'm sure they'll get this sorted out, but in the meantime using the Furys unpaired is probably going to be my main use for them anyway. I'm getting rid of my Kilo3000s. In case anyone cares, between the Sig and the Vortex they seem identical in optical quality and ranging ability. I suspect they are made in the same factory to each companies respective specs, but my eyes can't distinguish between the two, they are optically sufficient for what I use them for and the rangefinder/environmentals/AB elite combo is fantastic.

I just ordered the standard Fury 5000. After reading this I’m kinda regretting not getting the AB. If these can pick up wind and other data, then it seems like a complete package.

I didn’t really look into the features, I’m also unfamiliar with AB. I use 4dof or Sterlok.

I've seen the same issue, wind holds in the Fury are wrong when paired with the Kestrel and "Kestrel solution displayed in Fury" is set to "off". I spent quite a bit of time on the phone with Vortex yesterday afternoon trying to figure it out. They gave me a few ideas to try and want me to call back next week. I suspect it may be a software/firmware glitch because when the Fury is paired with my Garmin, the Garmin is sending my entered winds and environmental data to the Fury which according to the manual (and Vortex) shouldn't be happening (although it would be cool if it worked right). Also the displayed wind holds are wrong unless I set the wind direction to 9:00 on the Garmin in which case the solutions on the two devices is about the same.

I'm sure they'll get this sorted out, but in the meantime using the Furys unpaired is probably going to be my main use for them anyway. I'm getting rid of my Kilo3000s. In case anyone cares, between the Sig and the Vortex they seem identical in optical quality and ranging ability. I suspect they are made in the same factory to each companies respective specs, but my eyes can't distinguish between the two, they are optically sufficient for what I use them for and the rangefinder/environmentals/AB elite combo is fantastic.
Ok, ive talked to Mike at Vortex a couple times last week to get my elevation sorted out. Come to find out, the fury zero offset is bassackwards to the kestrel. Ive been cussing that my elevation wouldn't line up far too long before I called. He told me that, changed it, and now lines up great.

I asked about the wind issue and he had me do a couple things and said things seem to be working as they should. I go home, capture the wind with kestrel at 252* (wsw wind), laze a target at 123* (se) and 208*(sw) and the fury tells me to hold left for both...turn around and lazed a target at 355* (n.) figuring it would tell me to hold right but nope, hold left, so it was correct then so I don't know how it's figuring things. The fury other screen displayed 252* so it is getting the wind dir from the kestrel, it must just not know what to do with it lol.

I really like the concept of them but they have been frustrating. Hopefully things will get straightend out.

I sure wish there could be a fix for when the furys turn off and you wake them up and laze before making full connection, you could laze a gain and have it display instead of having to wait for them to turn off and start all over or turn both off and start over.

Edited to remove a thumbs down instead of a north reference

Last edited: