• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New vortex razor lh 30mm tube?

For those who have received these, how is the illumination?
I love the Leupold firedot reticles, is the Vortex dot super daylight bright like the firedot?

I love the Leupold firedot reticles, is the Vortex dot super daylight bright like the firedot?

the illumination is great.. you really have to set it based on the outside light setting because If you take it too bright then you will have a bleed over, but taking it to the right setting for the outside light it is perfect. I was a little skeptical at first with the control for it.. but it is just a simple push button.

Reactions: Sparky1985
Like Mattiejay6 said it has the ability to be very bright. it is very simple to use and works very similar to my vx5hd firedot, i like the vortex reticle better though

Reactions: Mattiejay6
Mounted the 3-15x50 to my fix... haven’t shot it yet, will today! However crystal clear and is the perfect weight!

Interesting! It looks big on a fix.

That's why I want an even smaller 1" tubed FFP on my little carbines, like a 3-15x38. Yeah, I know, doesn't exist - yet.

That's why I want an even smaller 1" tubed FFP on my little carbines, like a 3-15x38. Yeah, I know, doesn't exist - yet.

I can see that.. I guess in my mind the weight ratio outweighs the foot print. The Vudu 5-25 scope I have was more compact but weighed 10 ounces more.

I think this is a better trade off

Reactions: steve123
I’ve put less than 20 rounds through
mine. Put the x42 on a 260 Ti and the x50 on a Razor Ti 7mm-08.
They both tracked accurately during sight in. I’m not crazy about the bdc reticle. I need more time to clock some speeds and figure out drops.
Hopefully the wind will stay down and I can twist some turrets this week at some point.
I don’t find either reticle too thin and I have not played with the illumination yet.
I am not a glass snob by any means but the view through both was rather surprising for the price point and I was able to easily discern billet holes in brown cardboard at 100 yards.

And for once I can see a floating dot in the center of the reticle. I have struggled with this in some of my other scopes.....most notably a Kahles 318i

I’ve put less than 20 rounds through
mine. Put the x42 on a 260 Ti and the x50 on a Razor Ti 7mm-08.
They both tracked accurately during sight in. I’m not crazy about the bdc reticle. I need more time to clock some speeds and figure out drops.
Hopefully the wind will stay down and I can twist some turrets this week at some point.
I don’t find either reticle too thin and I have not played with the illumination yet.
I am not a glass snob by any means but the view through both was rather surprising for the price point and I was able to easily discern billet holes in brown cardboard at 100 yards.
If you have a sec, it’d be great if you’d take a pic of each reticle through the scope. No biggie, but I’d appreciate it.

@steve123

Right there with you, I’d kill for a 2.5-10x32mm, 30mm tube, <12”, <18oz, FFP, MIL/MIL optic. Illumination and parallax would be nice if it makes weight.

Maybe like a baby AMG! I know Vortex could do it!

Again, this does not exist, yet.

The PST Gen 1 2.5-10x32 weights 18.7oz and is 12.8", and meets all other specs.
I've got one and it's a nice little optic, I personally think the additional weight on the Gen2 is worth it with the improved glass, turrets, illumination control and vastly better eyebox and FOV.

I think the Gen 2 PST 2-10 would be improved greatly with a reticle like the HSR-5i or the EBR-9.
The reticle in the 2.5-10 is very fine but still usable on 2.5x but I find the reticle on the 2-10 on 2x is extremely fine, almost too fine to be usable IMO.
A big illuminated dot would be beneficial.

It will look big because it’s the 3-15X50 model and the huge one piece mount looks massive as well.

The 3-15X42 model in some simple rings or lightweight mount will change the look completely.

It will look big because it’s the 3-15X50 model and the huge one piece mount looks massive as well.

The 3-15X42 model in some simple rings or lightweight mount will change the look completely.

its a scalarworks qd mount. pretty light imo...Such a great mount!

Last edited:

Yeah, maybe so...

I had a SWFA 3-15x42 on my little carbine in simple rings and it too looked big on that rifle. I'm kind of wanting the form factor of those little 3-9x32's I used to use when I was a kid, well except for having all the cool modern features, like FFP, etc, and a thicker , simpler tree reticle for hunting with. Don't plan on shooting "long" long range with it, just out to 600Y or so.

I just found out about the USO TS12x this morning. I'm far from a USO fan but this scope is as close to what I want as I've seen so far.
It's 9.6" long and 18.1 oz, with locking turrets, and FFP. Probably something F'ed up about it(compromises, it being so short???) but I'll be watching the reviews to find out.

Reactions: Bart and PBWalsh
Been out hunting snow shoe hares with mine lately and personally I was Glad to have a sfp reficle. Most of the shots were on low power 3x-6x and being able to see the reticle on the low end was perfect.

I would like to see a ffp option but really i’m quite happy with it as it is. Will transition it to my 6.5 saum to get ready for sheep and goats soon.

Reactions: Mattiejay6
Come on folks I need more photos of the 3-14x42 mounted.

I’m in U.K. lockdown and on the cusp of purchasing.

Come on folks I need more photos of the 3-14x42 mounted.

I’m in U.K. lockdown and on the cusp of purchasing.
Here’s all I have of the scope mounted at this point
5E991220-0CD4-43A7-8BA6-2675E27ECF64.jpeg
6537F723-45D8-4D0C-9F27-C8A87B959571.jpeg

Turret vid for those that care

Thanks for this! Turret sounds a little like my Nightforce SHV, firm but muted clicks. I like the spacing between clicks too. I had a Leica that had an awesome elevation turret (12 mil per rotation on a 1.5-10x) but it was like winding a watch.

Thanks for this! Turret sounds a little like my Nightforce SHV, firm but muted clicks. I like the spacing between clicks too. I had a Leica that had an awesome elevation turret (12 mil per rotation on a 1.5-10x) but it was like winding a watch.

yes they are better than I expected, not like cracking glass like a lot of people here want but quite good for a hunting scope. Much better than my Zeiss v4 was. There is some play, but really for a hunting scope more than fine IMO

Liberty Optics might be cheaper depending where you live. I don’t have to pay sales tax when ordering from them. So they could beat that deal for me.

Yep the LHT is on Liberty Optics website. Just add to your cart to see the real price. Definitely better than OP.

WHOA! A LOT cheaper! Payment sent ?

ETA: this is my first order from Liberty Optics and my first Vortex. Neat.

with lots of internet searching, last year I found a decent deal on a refurbished LH in the then discontinued G4 reticle in the 1" tube [I watched the Hidden Instinct guys on YouTube go for 100 coyotes in 30 days and they were using this reticle and I really liked it]. I wished i'd have waited because I prefer the 30mm tube and the added illumination of these new models. Damn you vortex for not telling me of this new product release.
And dang, when I see the price Scott at Liberty Optics is offering, its going to make it hard to spend my Stimulus Check elsewhere.

I think this would pair perfectly with the A3 edge and CF barreled 6 creed. Now to just figure out how to not get murdered by my wife.

Has anyone compared this to the 3-12 LRHS? Considering it for a hunting gun.

Pros:
4oz lighter
Slightly higher mag

Cons:
I prefer FFP
I like LRHS reticle more

So far the pros do not outweigh the cons but if the glass is a lot better, that could win me over.

Has anyone compared this to the 3-12 LRHS? Considering it for a hunting gun.

Pros:
4oz lighter
Slightly higher mag

Cons:
I prefer FFP
I like LRHS reticle more

So far the pros do not outweigh the cons but if the glass is a lot better, that could win me over.
I think the glass is comparable, little brighter in the LHT. Eye box is much more forgiving on the LHT.

LRTS has a proven record of reliability and tracking.

Reactions: lennyo3034
I think the glass is comparable, little brighter in the LHT. Eye box is much more forgiving on the LHT.

LRTS has a proven record of reliability and tracking.
Thanks. My LRHS has served me well and I trust it. Its on a fairly lightweight rifle and dropping 4 ounces would be nice.

I think I will hold off until I get behind one.

UPS Claus came this afternoon. Initial impressions:

- Glass is fantastic for a sub-$1000 scope.
- reticle isn’t thin, definitely designed for hunting. I’m thrilled, because I intend to hunt with it. By comparison, NF MOAR tends to get lost in the trees for me because it’s too thin. Center dot is just the right size.
- Clicks feel very similar to NF SHV. They’re solid and definitely land on the hash without much sponge in between. Clicks are muted instead of crisp like a spark.
- Elevation turret is solid but not built like a rock. It has a little flex. This is a hunting scope, not a combat unit. Definitely better than Leupold’s CDS-ZL2 on their VX-5/6HD.
- Very forgiving eye box.
- Lots of main tube “real estate” for mounting.
- For a 3-15x, it’s a relatively compact unit. Yes, it’s long, but the ocular bell housing is much shorter than other comparable scopes so it doesn’t look out of place on an ultralight rifle.

For reference, mounted on my Barrett Fieldcraft short action with 22” #2 contour barrel. Talley low rings.

C43F6535-69E3-42FB-AA38-A5F871736D87.jpeg
72F32032-762D-4190-874C-C8551D6525DD.jpeg

8529C336-A552-4D6B-A613-FD236125669F.jpeg

Last edited:
Very nice SlimBlunt. Thanks for posting the reticle pic.

I was wondering if the center dot is visible without the illumination turned on. It looks like it is.

Very nice SlimBlunt. Thanks for posting the reticle pic.

I was wondering if the center dot is visible without the illumination turned on. It looks like it is.

I snapped a shitty iPotato pic @ 205 yards. I love the center dot. @200 it floats just inside a 1” white square/diamond with just a sliver of white showing around the perimeter of the dot. It’s just right for me, but I know some guys will prefer a finer center point.

ETA:added another pic from 205yds. Just imagine what this rifle could do with a competent shooter behind the trigger. Hornady 140gr BTHP American Gunner factory loads. Rifle weighs 7lb 12oz with scope and silencer.

2FEFCD6E-16CB-4E62-8114-1FCD743B2DC5.jpeg

CEF90EAB-46A0-4C66-ABE0-E434373FBE8F.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: PR3AK
Perfect. Thanks for posting these pix too. Seeing how the center dot looks past 100 yards was also on my mind.

The small center dot and SFP is why I was drawn to this new Vortex scope. Mine arrives in four days.

Good shooting.

How is the CA? I know the phone shots don’t really work but hopefully there isn’t any real CA.

I didn’t notice any CA, but that doesn’t mean there wasn’t any. I’d pull the rifle out and check now but I don’t think my neighbors would appreciate me pointing a rifle around the hood. “No it’s okay, I’m just checking chromatic aberration!”

@steve123

Right there with you, I’d kill for a 2.5-10x32mm, 30mm tube, <12”, <18oz, FFP, MIL/MIL optic. Illumination and parallax would be nice if it makes weight.

Maybe like a baby AMG! I know Vortex could do it!

Again, this does not exist, yet.

I really wish the weaver 2-10x36 Tactical had adjustable parallax. Probably runs a little heavy, but i like the 50' FOV number, and the reticle is still very useable at 2 and 10.

Definitely going to be picking one of these up for my calling rifle. I've been waiting for someone to make a lightweight sfp scope that has an exposed elevation turret with zero stop, and a capped windage turret.

How is the CA? I know the phone shots don’t really work but hopefully there isn’t any real CA.
There is some but it’s pretty good. In line for a 1k-1500 dollar scope probably. I am very sensitive to CA, it’s no Minox but it’s not bad