• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New vortex razor lh 30mm tube?

UPS Claus came this afternoon. Initial impressions:

- Glass is fantastic for a sub-$1000 scope.
- reticle isn’t thin, definitely designed for hunting. I’m thrilled, because I intend to hunt with it. By comparison, NF MOAR tends to get lost in the trees for me because it’s too thin. Center dot is just the right size.
- Clicks feel very similar to NF SHV. They’re solid and definitely land on the hash without much sponge in between. Clicks are muted instead of crisp like a spark.
- Elevation turret is solid but not built like a rock. It has a little flex. This is a hunting scope, not a combat unit. Definitely better than Leupold’s CDS-ZL2 on their VX-5/6HD.
- Very forgiving eye box.
- Lots of main tube “real estate” for mounting.
- For a 3-15x, it’s a relatively compact unit. Yes, it’s long, but the ocular bell housing is much shorter than other comparable scopes so it doesn’t look out of place on an ultralight rifle.

For reference, mounted on my Barrett Fieldcraft short action with 22” #2 contour barrel. Talley low rings.

View attachment 7307662View attachment 7307663
View attachment 7307786

what is your total weight? I’m thinking of putting one on my 6.5 fieldcraft.

Keep in mind, I have one of the limited production models with the 22” threaded #2 contour barrels (black cerakote finish in a black stock). The 18” threaded is #2 and I believe the 21” unthreaded is #0 featherweight, both weighing roughly the same but just a few ounces less than the 22” threaded.
79A24C11-F07B-4880-B736-9C03EC13134A.jpeg

...and I’ll add this:

If you have a fieldcraft, I’m sure you’ve considered a Leupold VX-5/6HD 3-15/18x44. The specs of the Leupold VX5 3-15x44 match the Razor LHT nearly identically. I’ve owned several VX5 and VX6 Leupolds (1-6x, 3-15x, 3-18x, 4-24x) but the quality left me wanting. IF THE VORTEX HOLDS UP AND TRACKS it will deliver where the Leupolds didn’t.

Based on specs alone, the Vortex offers more mounting space on the main tube, a shorter ocular bell making it feel smaller, a locking turret and zero stop (rather than just a locking zero), and a choice between MIL and MOA. Weight, length, and glass quality between the two are nearly identical.

The Leupolds I’ve had felt like cheap shit.
- a new VX6 3-18x44 went back for a severely canted reticle. It was repaired quickly and without hassle. After a single trip to the range, there was a noticeable speck in the lens. Internal debris.
- Multiple VX5 and VX6 scopes with the “gold ring” that didn’t fit the ocular housing. The ID of the ring was too large or the OD of the ring channel in the housing and the ring would protrude on one side and sink in on the opposite. And glue was smeared on the scope body.
- CDS-ZL2 dial is like a bad Chinese airsoft knockoff. Lines never match up, there’s a lot of “sponge” in between clicks, and the push-button for the zero-lock wiggles like a loose tooth.
- the rubber eyepiece likes to come loose every time you adjust the fast focus eyepiece. On every scope.

The advantages in the Leupold specs (more reticle options, fast-focus eyepiece) don’t compensate for the quality issues I’ve experienced. I’m not yet sold on the LHT either but time will tell.

Last edited:
...and I’ll add this:

If you have a fieldcraft, I’m sure you’ve considered a Leupold VX-5/6HD 3-15/18x44. The specs of the Leupold VX5 3-15x44 match the Razor LHT nearly identically. I’ve owned several VX5 and VX6 Leupolds (1-6x, 3-15x, 3-18x, 4-24x) but the quality left me wanting. IF THE VORTEX HOLDS UP AND TRACKS it will deliver where the Leupolds didn’t.

Based on specs alone, the Vortex offers more mounting space on the main tube, a shorter ocular bell making it feel smaller, a locking turret and zero stop (rather than just a locking zero), and a choice between MIL and MOA. Weight, length, and glass quality between the two are nearly identical.

The Leupolds I’ve had felt like cheap shit.
- a new VX6 3-18x44 went back for a severely canted reticle. It was repaired quickly and without hassle. After a single trip to the range, there was a noticeable speck in the lens. Internal debris.
- Multiple VX5 and VX6 scopes with the “gold ring” that didn’t fit the ocular housing. The ID of the ring was too large or the OD of the ring channel in the housing and the ring would protrude on one side and sink in on the opposite. And glue was smeared on the scope body.
- CDS-ZL2 dial is like a bad Chinese airsoft knockoff. Lines never match up, there’s a lot of “sponge” in between clicks, and the push-button for the zero-lock wiggles like a loose tooth.
- the rubber eyepiece likes to come loose every time you adjust the fast focus eyepiece. On every scope.

The advantages in the Leupold specs (more reticle options, fast-focus eyepiece) don’t compensate for the quality issues I’ve experienced. I’m not yet sold on the LHT either but time will tell.

thanks for the detailed response. I’ve got the 2-10 razor LH right now but this scopes checks more boxes which the turret and higher magnification.

Why would one choose the 42mm vs 50mm version besides the reticle? Is one optically superior to the other?
0E96069B-2FAB-445E-8409-4E2E8F7F81BD.jpeg

Note the natural comb slope and height of the stock and the gap between the scope bell and the rifle barrel. Increase the size of the lens and you increase the height of the scope... which requires you to create a prosthetic cheek rest which adds weight to the rifle which defeats the purpose of paying $1500 to $3500 for a featherweight hunting rig.

The lower you can mount the scope on a hunting rifle the better. Europeans haven’t figured this out yet. They build scopes as though everyone is hunting stag and boar in dark mountainous German timber and everyone is taking shots at moving targets inside 100 meters.

...and the LR crowd doesn’t seem to understand that most people don’t hunt with a barreled action mounted inside an erector set. Most hunting rifles don’t have a top picatinny rail and adjustable cheek height. 🙂

Why would one choose the 42mm vs 50mm version besides the reticle? Is one optically superior to the other?

I have both. In terms of overall optical quality, there isn't much difference between them. The 50mm objective gives the larger one a little better performance in low light, while the smaller model can be mounted lower and I think it controls distortion on low power a touch better.

Both are proving to be very good.

ILya

I have both. In terms of overall optical quality, there isn't much difference between them. The 50mm objective gives the larger one a little better performance in low light, while the smaller model can be mounted lower and I think it controls distortion on low power a touch better.

Both are proving to be very good.

ILya

I know in theory the larger objective given better low light performance, will the average hunter actually notice a difference?

I did some testing with my scopes, I had a 32mm, 40mm, 44mm and 50mm at the time.
I found the biggest factor to whether I could've taken a shot or not came down to if I could see the reticle or not.
At extremely low light my Vortex 2.5-10x32 with an illuminated FFP reticle would've been better than my VX5 3-15x44 due to the Leupolds reticle being so damn thin.

All scopes I tested would've sufficed in taking an animal in light you'd realistically take a shot in, provided the magnification was dialed back to around 5 or 6 power.

I think I would have preferred the reticle more like this on the HSR-5i. Don’t need as much for hold over and a thick vertical reference would be nice. I’d put the even numbers on it like they did I like them there.
D9756CA9-6853-45DE-B46A-38F97928BD47.jpeg

Just ordered from Liberty as well - what sort of lead times are people experiencing with Liberty?

2-4 weeks, depending on what is ordered. If you’re the antsy type…consider anti-antsy powder.

I'm not antsy, it's just that I want to order a new hunting backpack too, and it's not good for my health if my wife sees both of those things arrive on our doorstep in the same week.

Reactions: carbonbased
I'm tired of waiting for Leupold to do the right thing and sell a 3-15 VX5HD mil/mil with firedot TMR reticle (or a VX6HD 2-12) ... I'll be buying this LHT 3-15x42 to go on my Defiance anTI with Manners ultra classic stock and I haaaaaate Vortex. Damn you Leupold.

I'm tired of waiting for Leupold to do the right thing and sell a 3-15 VX5HD mil/mil with firedot TMR reticle (or a VX6HD 2-12) ... I'll be buying this LHT 3-15x42 to go on my Defiance anTI with Manners ultra classic stock and I haaaaaate Vortex. Damn you Leupold.

2-12 Firedot TMR would be the dogs bollocks!
Leupold do a mil/mil TMR 3-15 but no illumination.

i have a vx5 and i like the LHT way better in all asspects

Do you notice the narrower FOV on the LHT?
The difference in FOV between my 3-15 PST and VX5 is very noticeably wider.
With the FOV specs being PST 41ft, VX5 38ft, LHT 35ft, I worry I won't like the LHT.

I've become a real FOV whore so look for that spec first and foremost.

Reactions: Sparky1985
What’s the tracking like? Has anybody had any issues? I know it’s still relatively new but I’m sure some guys have put it through the paces. Looking to sell my Razor LH 2-10 and upgrading to the LHT in mils. Going to go on my Barrett fieldcraft 6.5, so it’s a dedicated hunting rig.

I ordered my lh from liberty on 5/2...still no word on shipping. I was expecting two weeks before ship but it’s almost 4 weeks now so I assume vortex is the hold up.

What’s the tracking like? Has anybody had any issues? I know it’s still relatively new but I’m sure some guys have put it through the paces. Looking to sell my Razor LH 2-10 and upgrading to the LHT in mils. Going to go on my Barrett fieldcraft 6.5, so it’s a dedicated hunting rig.

The two I have are tracking very well, but I did not do any tracking tests beyond a single revolution of the turret. These being huntign scopes, I think that is more than most people will ever dial with them.

ILya

Reactions: Gobears16
The two I have are tracking very well, but I did not do any tracking tests beyond a single revolution of the turret. These being huntign scopes, I think that is more than most people will ever dial with them.

ILya
Mine will go on a subsonic R700 300blk and probably on a Tikka T1X as well for 200y+ so hopefully the turrets are going to be true cause I’ll be dialing quite a bit with it. If I can get 14 mrad of elevation out of it I’ll be quite happy - enough to cover 350 yards subsonic 300blk and 300 yards with 22lr without having to hold over.

I've used the windage turret only once: for sighting in. The rest of the time it stays completely unmolested.

ILya

I don’t plan on touching it either. But knowing it’s there on a thousand dollar scope is irritating. I can’t understand why they wouldn’t just make it feel solid. The rest of the scope I really like.

I don’t plan on touching it either. But knowing it’s there on a thousand dollar scope is irritating. I can’t understand why they wouldn’t just make it feel solid. The rest of the scope I really like.

Because it is probably the OEM's standard turret and if they decided to mess with it, the cost of the scope would go up or something else would get compromised. As is, it does not feel great, but tracks fine. Given that I never use it, I much prefer to have their development budget go toward things that actually matter.

ILya

Reactions: bogey
Do you notice the narrower FOV on the LHT?
The difference in FOV between my 3-15 PST and VX5 is very noticeably wider.
With the FOV specs being PST 41ft, VX5 38ft, LHT 35ft, I worry I won't like the LHT.

I've become a real FOV whore so look for that spec first and foremost.
well i couldnt answer your question off hand as i had not had them out side by side. So this morning i pulled them both out. the vx5 has a bit more fov but i feel that is because looking at the same target picture the 15x on the LHT moved the targbet closer than the vx5 if you dial the lht back to where the target was the same szoom it had a wiider FOV than the vx5. 3x on both looked the same but 15x was not

ILya
If it’s good enough Koshkin it’ll be good enough for my needs. I’ll most likely use holdovers more than dial but good to know it’ll hold true if I do.

... and I haaaaaate Vortex. Damn you Leupold.
i have a vx5 and i like the LHT way better in all asspects

Same for me. This is my first Vortex. The LHT is everything I wished the VX5 would be. Better turret, more mounting space on the tube, illuminated reticle, MIL and MOA options. The newest Leupolds just feel cheap.

I'm looking into the LHT as well after being super disappointed in my VX5, that thing was the worst tracking scope I've owned.
I also thought the glass kinda sucked in all but perfect lighting conditions.
If that LHT is tracking I might have to get one

Speaking of tracking....

Here's the tracking on my scope from Liberty Optics.

Some skinny beaded Antifa brat is probably listing my scope on eBay as I type to fund his World of Warcraft account.

1591395069027.png

• Haha
Reactions: 762 ULTRAMAGA
Looks like mine shipped from liberty today. Fortunately that means it will be here tomorrow.

I recently picked up a used model. The locking eye ring seems to be really jammed. Before I really go to town on it, could someone please confirm if you rotate the locking ring clockwise or anti-clockwise to loosen it?

Anyone else else find this to have a “perceived“ narrow field of view due to the large black ring looking through (regardless of eye relief) I can also see some of internal of the scope which I find annoying. Just mine or others have the same issue?

thank you

So I picked up one of these through Liberty Optics back in April and I’m glad I did. (Now I know I can trust Liberty Optics with my business!) I haven’t been hard on the scope but it’s working as advertised. At the price point, I can’t think of a better hunting scope.

I have a local (large) sporting goods store that I like to patronize when I can. They pour a ton of money back into the community but they also charge regular retail for everything, so I don’t make a lot of large purchases. Lo and behold they have the Vortex Razor HD LRT in stock. I mentioned that I can get it online for $200 less. “No problem, we can match it.”

So I’m now much poorer and have a rifle with the smith waiting to come back with a shorter, threaded barrel. In the meantime the 2nd scope is getting to know a 223 bolt gun.

I noticed something different on the newer scope that wasn’t present with the first scope:

7AE1DF3E-B460-4866-8C0C-F758FA09905E.jpeg

Last edited:
So I picked up one of these through Liberty Optics back in April and I’m glad I did. (Now I know I can trust Liberty Optics with my business!) I haven’t been hard on the scope but it’s working as advertised. At the price point, I can’t think of a better hunting scope.

I have a local (large) sporting goods store that I like to patronize when I can. They pour a ton of money back into the community but they also charge regular retail for everything, so I don’t make a lot of large purchases. Lo and behold they have the Vortex Razor HD LRT in stock. I mentioned that I can get it online for $200 less. “No problem, we can match it.”

So I’m now much poorer and have a rifle with the smith waiting to come back with a shorter, threaded barrel. In the meantime the 2nd scope is getting to know a 223 bolt gun.

I noticed something different on the newer scope that wasn’t present with the first scope:

View attachment 7359009

It was in the manual before. I assume Vortex added the extra notice for guys who prefer not to read instructions (with the hope of reducing warranty claims from people ruining scopes by over-torquing rings).

And good on you for shopping local (and on the shop for price matching)! Sounds like the kind of place that earns loyal customers.

I have both 3-15x42 and 3-15x50 here, but all the local ranges are closed. I'll set them on the tripod and take a look, but so far both seem to be really nice.

I really like the elevation turret on these. Honestly, if Vortex can come up with a similar weight FFP scope based on the same basic optical design and same turret arrangement they will make a killing.

Looking at them briefly so far, I think center optical performance on these is just exceptional for the money and the edges are quite good too.

ILya
@koshkin
Did you ever do a review/comparison of these two scopes with pics thru the lenses?
Which reticle do you prefer? I think one of these two scopes would be perfect on my Ruger 10/22 Competition rifle as a range plinker inside 150 yards. I like the SFP so you can actually see the center at closer 25-50 yard ranges at the lowest magnification. I'm leaning towards the 3-15x50 model because the G4i Reticle looks cleaner, sort of like having a red dot with magnification. I can't help thinking the HSR-5i reticle might be a bit too congested, but there aren't many pics anywhere that show the view thru the scopes.

Yes, I know this thread is ancient, but now I'm interested in these scopes, so it's time to bring it back to life so all of you that bought one back in 2020 can tell us if you still like it.

I had one for a little, kept chasing zero, switch to NF and wandering zero issue went away. For the price I thought it looked and felt cheap.

Reactions: Scopeye
I had one for a little, kept chasing zero, switch to NF and wandering zero issue went away. For the price I thought it looked and felt cheap.

Felt the same to me, kinda like I got thwarted even at the $1160 I paid. Attributes are low weight and daylight bright illume but generally dull turrets and fell far short of its MSRP.

Reactions: clark33
Felt the same to me, kinda like I got thwarted even at the $1160 I paid. Attributes are low weight and daylight bright illume but generally dull turrets and fell far short of its MSRP.
You should try the light weight Japan made Tract Tekoa 4-16x44 BDC for $499 (regular price) or if you prefer zero stop and sunshade get the one with kit included for $569 (regular price). German Schott glass that's clearer than your Vector Optics Continental and better turrets too. They have a 30 day money back guarantee. 15% off discount if you are LE/Military active or veteran.

Compare this Tract Tekoa to your Vortex Razor LHT and to all of your Athlons and I'm pretty sure you'll be surprised even if you pay full regular price for the Tekoa. It's one of the very few scopes I think is actually worth paying regular price for.

I know you seem to really like Athlon and I also like Athlon but only certain models and only when they go on sale for significantly cheaper than normal street prices though and don't look forward to buying most of their non HD glass models since I'm pretty particular when it comes to perfect image quality with zero eye fatigue.

If the center crosshairs on the reticle were like they are on the BDC with floating center dot, I’d be all over it. Tract’s website makes it hard to check out all their reticles. I normally shop for a scope by first finding a reticle I like.