• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New Weaver tactical 3-15x50

Re: New Weaver tactical 3-15x50

How useful is the reticle on this scope at low power? Can you see it well enough to shoot quickly or is it too difficult to pick out on a busy backround like in the woods? I would like something I can use quickly at close range as well as out to 1k Thanks!

It is really thin on 3x but the illumination (especially on red) is daylight visible on higher powers and it makes the reticle a lot easier to pick up.

I haven't done any test out in the woods yet though so I I am not really sure if it actually gets lost when no illumination is turned on at low power.

I went ahead and mounted this Weaver on my 300RUM…to appease the twisted panty sorts.
Have not shot with it yet but have played with it extensively.
I will get around to trying to tear it up sooner or later Have some load development to do on this rifle.

What I have found is:

Tracking on a calibrated target board seems to be spot on a 10 mil square.
Glass, overall, is better than similarly priced competitive offerings that I have experience with. (PST and Bushnell)
Turret feel is tactile. The pull-up/push-down took me some gettin' used to.
The illumination is useable in low light with no bleed.
I like the reticle overall.
Eye box is a bit more narrow than I like but not as bad as the Bushy.
Eye relief is 1.6 miles long.
Parallax adjustment is smooth and precise.

So far, this scope seems to be a great value for a feature-loaded FFP optic.

Re: reticle size.

At 3x it is very thin as Bazgab indicated. However, at 4x it is similar to other fine duplex reticles.

The "hollow" stadia lines make it a bit more difficult to pick up than a standard duplex reticle, at least on 3x. On 4x it seems like it would work ok for fast acquisition.

Too bad Weaver didn't make this a 4-16x. I think they could have had an even better scope than using the 5x range.

So has anyone done some range time with the scope yet ? Box test? To see how it tracks............

Yes, I've had some range time with mine... it passed the box test easily & I have shot it out to 500 yards so far. Tracking out to that distance & back has been great, but it is a pretty minor adjustment (2.7 mils IIRC) on my 260. A tornado went right through my buddy's 500 yard spot on Saturday afternoon & tore up a bunch of stuff there, so who knows when we'll be able to get back there to shoot again. Still trying to find somewhere nearby to get out to 1000+ yards to really test the tracking out.

Hope this helps ya out!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: winxp_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So has anyone done some range time with the scope yet ? Box test? To see how it tracks............ </div></div>

Paul Stafford got his mounted on Saturday on his new 300WM (which is *REALLY* sweet BTW... he'll probably chime in here too). Mike Bush at Underground Skunkworks was kind enough to put it in rings (that Scott Berish at Liberty Optics was kind enough to run into town and meet us and hand off to Paul)and assure that it was level with the rifle and eye relief was proper for Paul. The bedding was not set completely yet, so we couldn't play, but we did take his rig to my buddies shop where we do scope evaluation. We mounted it to a bench at 100 yds. and evaluated the turret and reticle measurement accuracy as well as reticle plumb. Over 20 mils total vertical travel, the scope showed a 1% error. Over 10 mils total windage travel, it showed the same 1% error. The reticle measured perfectly and is also plumb in the tube with no discernible cant.

Was it perfect. No. Was it damn close. Yes. Am I impressed with this scope? So far... absolutely.

I think I mentioned in another thread that Paul and I will be getting together at the end of this week to shoot his 300 and we will also have a Vortex Razor, 4-16 PST, 6-24 PST and Paul's Weaver to compare side-by-side. More to come...

John

Thanks JRob - it'll be fun to hear your report comparing the Weaver and the Vortex PST.

John

I just like the "24" part of the PST better than I like the "15" part of the weaver.

or am I nuts if I'm planning on using it for hunting big game.

I just ordered one. I was looking for a compact scope for my new M1a and this is not compact at all, but reading this thread talked me into it. Damn you guys! I will compare it to my Sightron SIII once I get it and let you know how they compare.

I will say I actually like the EMDR better than most hash reticles. The hashes just get too confusing to me and I like to keep things simple. The EMDR reminds me a lot of the Gen 2 XL reticule, which I love.

Can anyone comment on the weight of this scope? SWFA lists it at 14 oz. Midways lists it at double that: 28 oz. They list different lengths as well although not that different.

Thanks ggarrett1911, John, Paul.

I just talked to a buddy of mine out of Missouri and he looked at the BlackHawk scope over at Cabelas and he as impressed with it. From what I know is that its made by weaver but under the BlackHawk name. I told him that if he wanted to get a better one to go get the new Weaver with the EMD reticle. I know that these scopes might not be perfect but how bad is that 1% error to you John? And as always thanks for all the info guys.

Regards Aron-

Lenny, I think the 28 oz weight is correct. It definitely feels & appears well built, like it should be able to take some punishment. My scope measures 13-3/4" from ocular to objective with Butler creek caps on it.

Aron, glad to be any help bro! I think you were correct in telling your buddy to get the Weaver over the Blackhawk, getting the illuminated EMDR over the standard mil dot. Nevermind the cost advantage of the Weaver...I think it's a little silly for a rebadged standard Weaver to cost more than the new & improved version!

^^^ Its exactly what I told him....... Thanks again

Aron-

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David Walter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just like the "24" part of the PST better than I like the "15" part of the weaver.

or am I nuts if I'm planning on using it for hunting big game. </div></div>

How far do you plan on shooting at big game (not judging you here)? I've used 15-16x mag out to over 1300 yards on targets smaller than an elks vital zone. Above 16x and hunting usually involves little varmints like prarie dogs way out there. And above about 20x and mirage can wreak havoc on your visibility.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: winxp_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know that these scopes might not be perfect but how bad is that 1% error to you John? </div></div>

My rifle shoots 6.8 mil to 1000 yds. 1% would mean I would miss by .24". I'm good with that.

Besides, once you've shot and collected your data, you go by field data anyway (which would factor in the error), so it's a non-issue.

I've hit steel at a lot further than 1000 yds. with scopes that had much greater than 1% elevation errors.

John

Ok makes sense now thanks a lot for your time John I really do appreciate your info and input here
smile.gif

Regards Aron-

A bit off topic and FYI…but….if you are signed up with Midway's birthday club deal, the new Weaver is $674.99, special birthday price.

damn!!! that would have been one helluva deal!

cheapest I could find so far was them at 720 with the 30$ discount coupon I found.

if anyone knows where to get it cheaper, let me know!!!

I own one of the old moa/mil scopes and love it (other than the moa/mil part)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TrapperSGD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wait until the 1-5x24 arrives....</div></div>

It is already here:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=168838

168838.jpg
</div></div>

Well there ya go!! I really liked that scope at SHOT. Have at it. The knobs are capped and nothing extraordinary but the glass, reticle, and illumination were nifty. FFP too.

Scott </div></div>

They plan to put these in a mil/mil config?

They came out with MIL/MIL a couple months ago. Don't expect them to go the other way though, there is no plan for MOA/MOA.

guys help me out here. I'm looking at the burris XTR rings for now, but their height dimensions are all jacked. according to them I need the super high rings that's 1". most others have the superlow etc for .8

something isn't adding up.

I have mine in Seekins medium rings. They are .87" from top of rail to centerline of scope tube & I have a touch over 1/4" clearance between the objective & the barrel (GAP target contour, similar to a Remington Varmint contour).

I do wish ring manufacturers would standardize the way they measure their ring heights...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">guys help me out here. I'm looking at the burris XTR rings for now, but their height dimensions are all jacked. according to them I need the super high rings that's 1". most others have the superlow etc for .8

something isn't adding up. </div></div>

Most ring manufacturers measure from the top of the rail (scope base) to the <span style="text-decoration: underline">center</span> of the ring. Burris measures from the top of the rail to the <span style="text-decoration: underline">bottom</span> of the ring.

To make Burris dimensions the same, simply add 0.591" to their dimensions. (for 30mm rings)

I would bet the Burris low-height rings are what you want.

If it helps at all: The Weaver uses a Size 44 Butler Creek cap. You can use that measurement when making ring height calculations.

Just ordered one of these. Gonna give it a thorough run through when it shows up. Fingers crossed it's as good as the recent reviews on here have been.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RegularGuy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just ordered one of these. Gonna give it a thorough run through when it shows up. Fingers crossed it's as good as the recent reviews on here have been. </div></div>

I was just about to get this, but I ended up with the Horus/Bushnell HDMR 3-21x50

Hopefully I made the right choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the PST 6-24 does not meet my expectations, it will probably get replaced with one of these...</div></div>

Yes... I bought one.

Now... Are any of you guys interested in sunshades? Scott @ LO can get them. They'll be $45 shipped and they don't quite match the sheen of the 3-15 Tac's "matte" black... But this is function, not beauty contest. They were mfg'd for the Super Slam, but according to Weaver fit the Tac just fine (NOT the 4-20)

Is there enough interest for Scott to pick some of these up?

John

How much additional length are we talking about for the sunshade? I'm probably in for one though. What size butler creeks do these things take (May have missed it in this thread)?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ggarrett1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Flyingbullseye, the Butler Creeks are a #18 eyepiece & a #44 objective. I saw an old review on the 4-20 Weaver & the dimensions were the same for the 3-15.

</div></div>

RegularGuy, here's the BC cap sizes for ya...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the PST 6-24 does not meet my expectations, it will probably get replaced with one of these...</div></div>
, but according to Weaver fit the Tac just fine (NOT the 4-20)

John </div></div>

Funny they would say the sunshade wouldn't fit the 4-20 cause it was a perfect fit on my 4-20. Just the sheen was off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vlcruz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the PST 6-24 does not meet my expectations, it will probably get replaced with one of these...</div></div>
, but according to Weaver fit the Tac just fine (NOT the 4-20)

John </div></div>

Funny they would say the sunshade wouldn't fit the 4-20 cause it was a perfect fit on my 4-20. Just the sheen was off.

</div></div>

Huh. Just repeating what I got in the email from Weaver:

<span style="font-weight: bold">"keep in mind the sunshade will not fit any of the 4-20x50 models.

Kevin Habhegger
ATK Technical Services "</span>

It wouldn't be the first time the public corrected the tech reps. "correct" data.

John

Got my sunshade from Scott @ Liberty Optics.

IMG_0393.jpg

Very nice fit and finish. The luster is a *little* less flat than the scope body, but for me, it's a tool. It keeps sun off the objective. I don't care if it's hot pink. You "safe queen" boys probably won't be happy with it.

If you want one, call Scott. IIRC they're either $45 or $50 shipped. Best price I've seen.

John

I wish they would release a 4-20x updated version with all they new features as this one.

Exactly what I emailed to Weaver...

A 4-20 with improved elevation (read: 30 mils) and EMDR for under $1000 street price would run head to head with the new SS and probably take the wind out of it's sails. I hope Weaver is listening.

John

Uhhh, I think Bushnell was listening... 3.5-21X50 FFP 34mm tube - Why are you waiting for Weaver?

T

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TAC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Uhhh, I think Bushnell was listening... 3.5-21X50 FFP 34mm tube - Why are you waiting for Weaver?

T </div></div>
Do you have a link to this scope? I was just wondering ok the price and availability.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TAC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Uhhh, I think Bushnell was listening... 3.5-21X50 FFP 34mm tube - Why are you waiting for Weaver?

T </div></div>

The Bushnell is only under $1000 for LEO/Mil and besides... it's a Bushnell...

John

Aftr much research I bought one to replace my old Bushnell 4200 Elite 4-16x.

Mounted it on my Win M70 .308 "Stealth" (heavy SS barrel) with a new 20 MOA EGW mount and LaRue rings.

Only have 100 yards normally available and I was rushed so I only had a chance to sight in (barely)- not a real "test".

My experience echoes most everyones'.

"Very nice".

How clear is the glass on 15x? I have heard recent posts of the reticle being blurry and unable to come into focus at 15x? Also, how easy are the half mil lines to see? Sorry for all the questions just trying to decide if I should grab this scope or bit the bullet and spend the extra for a SS 5-20x but it's a lot more $$$!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ls1mtz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How clear is the glass on 15x? I have heard recent posts of the reticle being blurry and unable to come into focus at 15x? Also, how easy are the half mil lines to see? Sorry for all the questions just trying to decide if I should grab this scope or bit the bullet and spend the extra for a SS 5-20x but it's a lot more $$$! </div></div>

Mine focuses fine and isn't blurry at all at 15x magnification. Half-mil lines are easy to see at the higher magnifications as well.

Likewise, I can get a clear and focused reticule with the rear diopter adjuster. The image focusing is only noticeable at the higher powers. At 15x, I can easily see the target's 1/4" blue grid lines and the 260Rem holes at 100 yds.. With the 5x zoom range, it's a very nice optic.

Have had no focus issues with 2 of these Weavers.

Sounds good, I was just worried because the OP has another post going where he talks about sending his back.

The glass in the one I had was very clear at 15X. The half-mil hashes looked more like dots on either side of the reticle for me though. I ended up getting rid of it because it was too heavy for a hunting rifle. I would have loved it on a bolt gun and would have kept it had I not already had a nice scope on mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ls1mtz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds good, I was just worried because the OP has another post going where he talks about sending his back. </div></div>

Yep, its already in the mail. As stated in the premium glass thread mine had issues with the parallax and eye lens not working together. Either the reticle was fairly clear and the parallax didn't resolve clearly or the other way around. Issues happen to every scope company, even the big boys that cost a arm and a leg. It could probably pound tent stakes into the ground and still hold zero, well made scope with the exception to mine. Since it has to go back and for an extra $250 I could go with the new SS its just a little too hard to pass up. For now the my Vortex Crossfire is going on the rifle.

Flyingbullseye