• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New Weaver tactical 3-15x50

Re: New Weaver tactical 3-15x50

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Justin Cutter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Iron Worker, Did you get the 3-15 or the 4-20?

If you got the 3-15, Liberty Optics had it for a better price. $759 FYI
smile.gif

Good luck with the Coyote Interview!
~Justin </div></div> I ordered the 3x15x50mm Illuminated. I really want to send some coyotes into eternity ?

Scope isn't hear yet ! Found out on snoops.crap there is no Weaver scope company,nor is there such a thing as a tactical scope ,in fact no such thing as a scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iron Worker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scope isn't hear yet ! Found out on snoops.crap there is no Weaver scope company,nor is there such a thing as a tactical scope ,in fact no such thing as a scope. </div></div>

I am not sure I understand what you are saying. Weaver is a legit scope company and has been for a long time. However they are currently owned by ATK.

~Justin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shadowless_sword</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just a heads up, if anyone was looking for the 3-15 with standard mildot reticle (non-illuminated) and 1/4 moa turrets, Midaway has them on clearance currently for $600. </div></div>

I find this interesting as this is still a current production model AFAIK.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shadowless_sword</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just a heads up, if anyone was looking for the 3-15 with standard mildot reticle (non-illuminated) and 1/4 moa turrets, Midaway has them on clearance currently for $600. </div></div>

I find this interesting as this is still a current production model AFAIK. </div></div>

It must have been part of their weekly Tuesday overstock/clearance listings, as when I posted that it was shown as on sale with 1 available at that price, but when I went back to the site it was already back to regular price and listed as out of stock/backorder.

I actually considered editing that post to erase it since like 30 minutes after I posted that originally, it was already back to original price.

Got mine out for the first time a few days ago. Didn't get much time on it (40rds) as I was just testing some loads but all in all it is very nice. I won't comment on glass as it is subjective. It feels very sturdy and has a nice almost rubber feeling coating. The turrets will take a bit getting used to as you have to pull them up to turn them. Once up they stay up, but to push them back down you have to give them a little wiggle to get them to go all the way back down. They seem to get hung about half way down where they can still turn, and that little wiggle must get the locking mechanism splines lined up. The clicks are pretty easy but not a deal breaker. The clicks are more feel than audible, but you can hear them. I usually have double hearing protection on so I can't hear any clicks on any optic, so no biggie for me there. Haven't tried the illumination yet or any box testing or mil testing. I do wish they would have put a hash in between the first mil and center of the reticle though. The open center dot does make white back grounds pop a bit, like they are illuminated. I noticed this as I was shooting at 1" pasters, but it is too small to actually see any detail in the center dot. I would assume the same for the open mildots, but didn't remember to try them. One other feature I forgot I really liked was the tool-less zero feature. Just unscrew the top of the knob with your fingers, lift, rotate, zero, screw top back on finger tight and done. No allen keys or torx wrenches needed. Very nice feature.

So just an inital impression. My main focus is on if this thing tracks and is repeatable.. glass is subjective and not a super high priority on my list.

So I was just at Cabelas and there "blackhawk" scopes which are just re-badged weaver scopes were in stock.
Much to my surprise when I looked into the case I saw a 4-20 power with mil turrets and a mil dot reticule. Very interesting. I counted 18 mils of elevation. So it looks like it has the same elevation as the moa version about 60moa.

I don't understand why ATK would make this a option for the no name Cabelas "blackhawk" line and not weaver.

I think this was a dumb move on ATKs part. I hope the mil/mil version of the weaver scope is better. More elevation is needed.

~Justin

the new made Weavers[many others for name brands ] are from vector optics they use Japanese glass made by Hakko and rest in china ..but not junk ..vector optics makes many parts etc for others too ...sorry cant prove this but anybody in the optic world sound off over this ,please thxs !!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cz777</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the new made Weavers[many others for name brands ] are from vector optics they use Japanese glass made by Hakko and rest in china ..but not junk ..vector optics makes many parts etc for others too ...sorry cant prove this but anybody in the optic world sound off over this ,please thxs !! </div></div>

The new 3-15x50 EMDR Tactical is made by <span style="font-weight: bold">Light Optical Works</span> in Japan... I have not heard that LOW is using anything Chinese in their construction.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cz777</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the new made Weavers[many others for name brands ] are from vector optics they use Japanese glass made by Hakko and rest in china ..but not junk ..vector optics makes many parts etc for others too ...<span style="font-weight: bold">sorry cant prove this</span> but anybody in the optic world sound off over this ,please thxs !! </div></div>

OK. I"m in the optical world. May we please stick to FACTS (solid, substantiated, referenced, data)?

John

Where does it say weaver uses their glass on that site? I don't see anything, that or I'm missing it. Always read that weaver had their glass made by LOW.

Flyingbullseye

That vector whatever looks like a counter sniper.
In a backwards cantilever mount on that windrunner.

Ok just made the leap is it crazy for me to have purchased this scope before the gun? I guess its the age old question what came first chicken or the egg I guess I just had that much faith in it also don't hurt I found a cheap used one. Any who now that I have one I need some help. What is the adjustable eye peace for what is the did between it and the side focus I guess my question is when and how do I use it.
Do I just the eye box every time I'm at a did zoom level or yardage?

It's just for focusing the reticle. Unless some thing is wrong with the scope you shouldn't have to keep adjusting it, just read up on the fundamentals as much as you can and enjoy it along the way.

I just scoured the link and found absolutely nothing connecting Weaver to Vector, other than that Vector sells Weaver style rings. Where's the BEEF?

I just treated into one of the Weaver 3-15 EMDR's and I like it so far. The clicks are good, but as has been mentioned you have to wiggle the turrets a little to lock them back down.

Mounted it in an American Defense Recon mount for my P-308, and although a TINY bit high, it's just the right height to clear Troy BUIS. I like the mount alot, solid. Haven't removed it and put it back on to check RTZ, but it locks up so solid I don't anticipate a problem. I like it better than the Larue setup I had before.

We just got a few more of the 3-15x50mm in stock (in know they are on the website). I would like to T&E one but this time we have to main other on the list. Over all they seam like very nice scope and heavy-duty.

Mike @ CST

Ok I need help... again lol. i just got my dpms lr 308 L and Burris AR-P.E.P.R. 1-Piece rings and weaver 3-15 scope. i took it to this guy to "mount the scope" and i thought he was going to lap the rings didint do that didint put a buble on the scope to make shure it was level he just had me look threw it and said "does that look straight?" i told him hes the pro what do u think then he states "i have bad eyes" after its set up he puts in a laser to bore sight it on the wall about 30 ft away and starts turning my turret. he wastes over half of my freaking elavation on bore sigting it. WTF!?? and states is should hit papper now and charges me 20 bucks did i get shafted or what? i can over look most of that but is that normail to loose half of your MOA bore sighting a scope? if not what should i do? just fustrating spending 2k on a ring and ending up with a crapy finish

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jaycar85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok I need help... again lol. i just got my dpms lr 308 L and Burris AR-P.E.P.R. 1-Piece rings and weaver 3-15 scope. i took it to this guy to "mount the scope" and i thought he was going to lap the rings didint do that didint put a buble on the scope to make shure it was level he just had me look threw it and said "does that look straight?" i told him hes the pro what do u think then he states "i have bad eyes" after its set up he puts in a laser to bore sight it on the wall about 30 ft away and starts turning my turret. he wastes over half of my freaking elavation on bore sigting it. WTF!?? and states is should hit papper now and charges me 20 bucks did i get shafted or what? i can over look most of that but is that normail to loose half of your MOA bore sighting a scope? if not what should i do? just fustrating spending 2k on a ring and ending up with a crapy finish </div></div>

If you can't mount your own optic with all the information online and as easy as it is then long range shooting probably isn't for you. Mounting a optic is pretty idiot proof. Try it yourself and put that $20 towards ammo.

so are you just going to talk trash or actuly ansr my question? should it take that much ajustment to bore site a scope?

A zero is a zero. Regardless of how he mounted it, it won't make a difference. Even lapping would not affect how much travel you have left.

You can hope to gain a few more MOA as you actually zero the rifle. If you find that you don't have enough travel left for long range shooting, you may need to invest in a mount that has cant built in (generally 20MOA).

Good luck.

--Rootshot

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jaycar85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so are you just going to talk trash or actuly ansr my question? should it take that much ajustment to bore site a scope? </div></div>

To answer your question no it shouldn't but the dumbass bore sighted it 30 feet away so you'll probably be way high. Bore sighters aren't worth their price as a paperweight. Remove your bolt and put your rifle on a solid rest even if its just the bipod with a rear bag. Look down the bore and center it on a target then adjust the target to it. Check and double check and you'll atleast be on paper at 50 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rootshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A zero is a zero. Regardless of how he mounted it, it won't make a difference. Even lapping would not affect how much travel you have left.

</div></div>

Not so. If the scope is mounted canted it will not track properly when adjusting for long range shots. The turret housing need to be as level as possible.

I have the same scope with a flat mount if you want to post a picture of your elevation turret unlocked I can see if it is in the same ballpark.

If you need more elevation you will need a 20 MOA mount like an ADM or Larue.

You can do one of two things to test if it is level.

1. Get a set of feeler gauges and use the flat spot on the bottom of the scope to verify it is level. This works best for one piece mounts like yours.

2. Plum bob test, hang a visible string (red yarn, etc.) with a weight on the end from something 50-100 yards away and see if the crosshairs line up verticaly while using a level on the rifle to make sure it is level as well. If the crosshairs are off, then it is canted.

Looks like I'm going to have to get one of those Weavers! I have a new Savage 12F that needs a good scope!

I love mine...

700aacsd22.jpg

Only thing I've noticed is the BC cap was really tight and when I removed it today the lock ring on the objective started to spin.

Other than that.. glass is super clear, tracks well, and is very comfortable on this rifle.

I picked one up when Liberty Optics was having their 10% off sale. It should get here at the end of the week!

Anyone notice any barrel/pincushion distortion throughout the power range?
I had an IOR 4-16X50 that had it pretty bad on the low end.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WyomingShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do the scopes shipping now have zero stop? Thanks, ELN. </div></div>

Mine don't, I have the 3x15 and the 4x20, new in July.

They are not a bad scope for the money, but with the 3x15 I seem to be adjusting the side focus and eyepiece all the time. It just never seems to be in focus.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mohonri</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do these compare to the SS HD FFP line? </div></div>

The SS 5-20 has 10 mil/rev. and 20x on the top. Other than that I would have to say from a driver's standpoint.... no substantive difference. For half the price? Buy the Weaver.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mohonri</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do these compare to the SS HD FFP line? </div></div>

I picked up a 5-20 SS HD FFP and turned right around and resold it because I didn't care for the 5x lower end. I have the Weaver 3-15 now and like that power range MUCH better for my 223 AR. As far as glass goes, its apples to apples IME.

That being said, I prefer my SS 1-4x FFP donut reticle over any AR optic I've ever used......
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scottyman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I had an IOR 4-16X50 that had it pretty bad on the low end. </div></div>

This. Anyone?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scottyman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scottyman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I had an IOR 4-16X50 that had it pretty bad on the low end. </div></div>

This. Anyone? </div></div>

Scotty,

If it was there, it certainly didn't stand out to me. But I'm far more sensitive to CA... that said, I thought that optically speaking the Weaver was far better than the price would indicate. Couple that with the features offered, and you have what amounts to an incredible value. Poor man's F1.

John

I ordered one for my CMMG 308 and the wait begins.
Is this correct for Butler caps?
#18 eyepiece & a #44 objective?

Scotty, yes for the butlers. I believe they are on the second page of the thread.

+1 to the last three posts. Had/have both the weaver EDMR and the SS 5-20. Glass, way way too close to call either way, SS gets the knobs only for the 10 mils per turn, same feel between the two as far as clicks go. Illumination neither are stellar.

I haveimited experience with a Weaver, so I can't tell you honestly which is "better", but I will say that the SS 5-20 has exceeded my expectations, and knowing what I know about how it's constructed, there's no part of me that would pick a Weaver over it.

YMMV

I have one on my CMMG .308 and It was very close to dead on from the bore sighting ,about 1.5 inchs right and 1 inch low .I a'm now getting .59 to .76 MOA at 100 yards with match 168 SMK ammo . Mine has very bright clear glass and it focused well for me .the combination of the Weaver tactical FFP EDMR 3-15x50 scope and the CMMG is a real bargin tack driver.
grin.gif

In reading through the last several pages on this topic, it seems that a few guys believe that the Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 has glass as good as the SS 5-20x50 HD. Anyone have a different view?

I have an SS 5-20x50 HD and in need of another one to put on a remington 5r so I have given a lot of thought about trying one of these just to see myself how they compare.

If you do pick up one of these to compare to the SS, please let me know your thoughts. At less than 1/2 the price it is compelling!
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mm_mag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In reading through the last several pages on this topic, it seems that a few guys believe that the Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 has glass as good as the SS 5-20x50 HD. Anyone have a different view? </div></div>

Owned both at the same time and directly compared them side by side. Couldn't tell the difference whether it was brightness, clarity, detail, contrast, lowlight ect ect. The only odd thing I noticed and it was either me or the way both companies designed their scope was the SS appeared to be at a higher mag when both were set at the same level. I didn't notice it at 5x but when they were both at 10 and 15x the SS appeared to be set at a slightly higher level than the weaver. It wasn't a huge difference, when both were set at 10x the SS looked very close to 11/12x.

Again it could have just been me and the way I perceived the view through each scope or it could be how both companies designed the internals don't really know.

Quick comparision between the two.

Glass: even
Construction: even, both too new to tell
Travel: SS by less than 2 mils
Knobs: toss up, SS has 10 mils per turn, Weaver's lock, similar feel per mine
Illumination: both suck, weaver's suck less
Price: weaver by half
Reticle: subjective most here seem to go SS

In the end you can't go wrong with either.

Flyingbullseye

Weaver $700 retail
SS $1000 on group buy, $1200 new on sale forums, $1500 retail

Most would say the SS is sturdier, beefier, durable, reliable, or whatever you want to call it, but like you said they are both new to the market. Either way the SS is heavier.

What about a comparison to the Viper PST FFP 4-16.

Thanks,
Mohonri

Question:
How is Weavers "Reset-to-zero turrets (no caps to lose)" different than a zero stop?

-T

FlyingBullseye - Thanks for that review. It was comprehensive and after reading it, I think I'll give the Weaver a shot!

Because you can turn them below your zero.

A zero stop will physically stop you from dialing below a set point.
Hence "zero stop"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flyingbullseye</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only odd thing I noticed and it was either me or the way both companies designed their scope was the SS appeared to be at a higher mag when both were set at the same level. I didn't notice it at 5x but when they were both at 10 and 15x the SS appeared to be set at a slightly higher level than the weaver. It wasn't a huge difference, when both were set at 10x the SS looked very close to 11/12x.</div></div>

I was out tonight with these same two scopes and have to agree with you on this. 12x on the SS matched about with 15x on the Weaver. I'd like to get a 3 optic to see which is truer to the magnification it should be. Be sweet if the 20x SS was really a 22x.