• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes New Weaver tactical 3-15x50

Re: New Weaver tactical 3-15x50

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hawk45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I was out tonight with these same two scopes and have to agree with you on this. 12x on the SS matched about with 15x on the Weaver. I'd like to get a 3 optic to see which is truer to the magnification it should be. Be sweet if the 20x SS was really a 22x. </div></div>

Or.... would suck if the Weaver was really 12x Max.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toade</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hawk45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I was out tonight with these same two scopes and have to agree with you on this. 12x on the SS matched about with 15x on the Weaver. I'd like to get a 3 optic to see which is truer to the magnification it should be. Be sweet if the 20x SS was really a 22x. </div></div>

Or.... would suck if the Weaver was really 12x Max. </div></div>

IIRC, the furthest I shot mine was 1000 yds., but one of my shooting partners has one on his 300WM and he said 1250 is challenging and the furthest he would try with it. he said that he just can't see very well out there. It is conceivable that it may be shortchanged on the upper magnification.

John

Scope was delivered today! Quick preliminary tests look great in daylight. I'll compare this to my Elite 4200 dark and early in the morning at 5X to reduce pupil size effect.
Illumination looks great at lowest setting in twilight. Lots of bleed at highest setting.

CMMG308.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toade</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hawk45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

IIRC, the furthest I shot mine was 1000 yds., but one of my shooting partners has one on his 300WM and he said 1250 is challenging and the furthest he would try with it. he said that he just can't see very well out there. It is conceivable that it may be shortchanged on the upper magnification.

John </div></div>

John,

If this is truly the case, wouldn't that have been apparent when you did your side-by-side resolution comparisons and review among the Weaver versus the two Vipers? I thought the Weaver was already handicapped a bit as the Vipers were set at 16X and the Weaver maxed out at 15X. That is, if the Weaver is maxing out at an actual 12X or, say 13X, that must be some stellar glass to resolve the "4"/"-2" and "2" on the converging lines. Just curious now that I'm seriously considering the Weaver as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: echo_foxtrot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toade</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hawk45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

John </div></div>

John,

If this is truly the case, wouldn't that have been apparent when you did your side-by-side resolution comparisons and review among the Weaver versus the two Vipers? I thought the Weaver was already handicapped a bit as the Vipers were set at 16X and the Weaver maxed out at 15X. That is, if the Weaver is maxing out at an actual 12X or, say 13X, that must be some stellar glass to resolve the "4"/"-2" and "2" on the converging lines. Just curious now that I'm seriously considering the Weaver as well. </div></div>

"Apparent" only if you're looking for "that". We were looking for resolution, not apparent magnification. You're welcome to try this yourself, if you're so inclined. And yes, for the money, I'd say the Weaver has "stellar" glass. Welcome to the Hide.

John

Thsnks for the welcome John.

My post was by no means a criticism of your review as I thought it was one of the better scope comparisons I've read in a while having quantifiable, empiric data.

I was only questioning the ability of the scope (not necessarily the user) to be able to resolve the charts so well at 100y if it's true power lagged the Vipers by 3X or 4X.

In any case, your comments about the glass have firmly convinced me to choose the Weaver over my other option, the 4-16 PST.

Thank you.

Been following this thread for a while and planning on buying this scope in the near future. It would really suck, to say the least, if the top end is "short changed".

Can anyone else verify it with a comparison to another scope?

Can't one just divide the objectice lens diameter by the measured exit pupil? OF course, you do need the scope to do that
smile.gif

Interestingly, Weaver lists the exit pupil for this scope on their site as 10.52mm - 3.34mm which comes out to 4.8X-15X rather than 3X-15X.

e_f...

None taken. Thanks for the explanation. There are so many attributes that define a scope, it's difficult to hit everything in one review. And... to be quite honest, it never occurred to me to test the claimed magnification for accuracy, or that anyone would even care. So now I have something else to check if I ever do another review.

I hope you enjoy your Weaver.

John

Does anyone know if the current Weaver $50 rebate will work on this scope. It is supposed to only work for Super Slam scopes, but technically (at least according to the wordage on weaver's website) this is a Super Slam scope. There is also a rebate for a free backpack, but since both rebates require the UPC, I'm guessing you need to pick one or the other.... unless by some miracle the box has 2 UPCs.

Anyone?

OpticsPlanet is having a 11% off sale. That's $667 for this scope shipped to your door with "WOO11CEL".

Wow, awesome deal. Too bad the gearhog $20/$40 doesn't stack.

I wrote to Weaver and they said it's either the backup or $50 rebate, but weren't sure if the tactical would be eligible. They told me to call the rebate center.

If the rebate is still for any "Super Slam" model like it was when I got mine Weaver said no to me.
Their exact words were "the box has to say super slam on it."

That's correct. Just annoying as their site says the tactical is part of the Super Slam family. Oh well, guess it doesn't hurt to try.

B for I purchased the weaver I compared it to the bushnells 5-20 and the same settings the bush was stronger mag. Still happy with the weaver it had better glass

Midway USA is discounting the 3-15x50 EMD as part of their 8 Daily Deal Special. The scope will be priced at <span style="font-weight: bold">$674.99</span> on Monday 11/28.

MidwayUSA 8 Daily Deal Special

Get 'em while they're HOT!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gglass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Midway USA is discounting the 3-15x50 EMD as part of their 8 Daily Deal Special. The scope will be priced at <span style="font-weight: bold">$674.99</span> on Monday 11/28.

Get 'em while they're HOT! </div></div>

SnipersHide members can also purchase these for $675 shipped through SWFA when purchasing with check or money order.

Optics planet will price match and won't charge extra for credit cards .

Anyone know what size of butler creek caps fit for sure on front and rear? Are sunshades available?

TIA,

Monte

Optics planet will price match, if they have it in stock. They do not have the EMD reticle in stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gglass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Midway USA is discounting the 3-15x50 EMD as part of their 8 Daily Deal Special. The scope will be priced at <span style="font-weight: bold">$674.99</span> on Monday 11/28.

Get 'em while they're HOT! </div></div>

Gonna give the Weaver a try. Sitting in my basket waiting for Monday to roll around.

2011-11-12214601.jpg

Both of my precision rifles I use at work no wear these weavers. I have been nothing but pleased with their performance. These are my first mil/mil scopes, and I really like how they are working out. My only minor complaints are that the low setting on the illumination needs to be a little dimmer, and the overall size of the reticle could be slightly larger. It seems optimized for higher magnification, and I'm more likely to use it on lower power settings. If the outside, thicker portion of the reticle was about twice as thick, and only the center portion of the reticle were illuminated, I would be much happier. But overall, it is useable and the price can't be touched for something with similar features and magnification range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: memilanuk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone know what size of butler creek caps fit for sure on front and rear? Are sunshades available?

TIA,

Monte </div></div>

19eye, 44obj, and yes, the SuperSlam 4 inch sunshade fits.

Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: memilanuk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone know what size of butler creek caps fit for sure on front and rear? Are sunshades available?

TIA,

Monte </div></div>

19eye, 44obj, and yes, the SuperSlam 4 inch sunshade fits.

Scott </div></div>

uh oh. Just bought 18eye based on page one of this thread.

Just bought 3-15 from midway and they sold out of 44obj after I put it in my cart but before I checked out. I am guessing there are a bunch of folks jumping on this sale.

Based on reviews here, I just got in on this Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 deal at Midway as well. I also purchased the 50 mm Grandslam sunshade and Butler Creek scope caps as well. I bought #19 eye and #44 objective. Hope the eye fits as their seems to be some confusion weather it is the #18 or 19 eye.

One Holer

theres a guy on opticstalk that got the $50 rebate. said he sent a note with the paperwork saying he spoke to someone on the phone that gave him the OK. had no issues.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blue109</div><div class="ubbcode-body">theres a guy on opticstalk that got the $50 rebate. said he sent a note with the paperwork saying he spoke to someone on the phone that gave him the OK. had no issues. </div></div>
Care providing a link? Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BAGunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Care providing a link? Thanks.</div></div>

near the bottom..
OT weaver discussion

Thanks. Preparing my rebate form...
smile.gif

I measured the size of the object and eye end of the weaver. The object end is 60mm sharp, the eye end is 43.70mm.

Butler creek's scope cover
object #44 59.9mm is a perfect fit.
eye #18 43.2mm, #19 43.9mm. I think you can go with either one, #18 will have a very tight fit.

Just got mine in last night. When lifting the locking turret cap, the cap hash marks fall out of alignment to the index mark by about 1/2 click. When lowering the cap, it must be wiggled back into place to get it to drop down and lock. When lifting and unlocking the cap to adjust turrets, the cap is springy and spongy and doesn't snap into position. It basically can be bounced up and down leaving some confusion as to which horizontal hash mark is the correct reference point. It's definitely not a positive, well engineered feel and I'll be calling Weaver in the a.m. to find out if this is a anomaly or if replaced, I can expect the same.

Everything else looks very good but can't live with this scope the way it is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike in Boise</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just got mine in last night. When lifting the locking turret cap, the cap hash marks fall out of alignment to the index mark by about 1/2 click. When lowering the cap, it must be wiggled back into place to get it to drop down and lock. When lifting and unlocking the cap to adjust turrets, the cap is springy and spongy and doesn't snap into position. It basically can be bounced up and down leaving some confusion as to which horizontal hash mark is the correct reference point. It's definitely not a positive, well engineered feel and I'll be calling Weaver in the a.m. to find out if this is a anomaly or if replaced, I can expect the same.

Everything else looks very good but can't live with this scope the way it is. </div></div>

Your description of the turret caps fits my scope also. I have a feeling it is "normal" for this design.

I do think however that Weaver can fix the alignment issue. Other folks have complained about this, and Weaver says they can adjust the lower hash-mark ring to align with the cap's alignment point.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike in Boise</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just got mine in last night. When lifting the locking turret cap, the cap hash marks fall out of alignment to the index mark by about 1/2 click. When lowering the cap, it must be wiggled back into place to get it to drop down and lock. When lifting and unlocking the cap to adjust turrets, the cap is springy and spongy and doesn't snap into position. It basically can be bounced up and down leaving some confusion as to which horizontal hash mark is the correct reference point. It's definitely not a positive, well engineered feel and I'll be calling Weaver in the a.m. to find out if this is a anomaly or if replaced, I can expect the same.

Everything else looks very good but can't live with this scope the way it is. </div></div>

Your description of the turret caps fits my scope also. I have a feeling it is "normal" for this design.

I do think however that Weaver can fix the alignment issue. Other folks have complained about this, and Weaver says they can adjust the lower hash-mark ring to align with the cap's alignment point. </div></div>

Hmmmmm... That's seriously messed up. Tick marks that are designed <span style="font-weight: bold">not</span> to line up. Why bother even having them or for that matter, a tactile click? So by adjusting the lower hash mark to match, I'm assuming it will be off center/misaligned in the locked position.

There should be some reasonable standards for a Tactical Scope. Aren't these scopes more or less designed for Law Enforcement and Military whereby accuracy and reliability are the goal? Turrets that line up doesn't seem like a lot to expect and then to pass it off as "normal" should be a huge red flag for anyone thinking about the quality of the product & the integrity of the company.

Customer Service was supposed to be open at 7:00 a.m. No answer so I'll try later to hear it from the horses mouth.

Customer Service Rep says he's only heard of the misalignment problem a couple of times. Something's fishy here. He suggested I send it back. I asked him specifically if this was an issue I will likely see if I get a replacement and he said "probably not". We'll see. It's going back today.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike in Boise</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Customer Service Rep says he's only heard of the misalignment problem a couple of times. Something's fishy here. He suggested I send it back. I asked him specifically if this was an issue I will likely see if I get a replacement and he said "probably not". We'll see. It's going back today. </div></div>
before you send it back
leave knob in down position, loosen and rezero your knobs.
Then see if everything lines up. Always rezero your knobs in the down/locked position.

I think i had the same issue and spoke to some one at Weaver. This fixed my problem. Didn't really mind the marks not lining up but having to wiggle it everytime was pissing me off.

Thanks,

Scopes in UPSville. I followed the Service Reps advice but no change. If the next one is like this one, I'll focus specifically on your recommendation.

mine is similar but not quite so far off. seems to only be off a fraction of a "click" or about the actual width of one of the lines. seems like if you zero your knob right on the center line of the turret its a tooth off and wont lock down. you have to twist it a tiny bit for it to fall into the slot. for me that twist is only about half a mm.

could it be done in purpose so you dont bump the turrets into the locked position?

i can live with it, i just dont like how the dial can go halfway down and still turn with no reference lines. should be all up or all down, no in between.

MINE WORKS FINE AND LINES UP PERFECTLY ,maybe I'm just lucky .
grin.gif

gonif..so the line on the dial is exactly centered on the line on your turret? both up and locked?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blue109</div><div class="ubbcode-body">mine is similar but not quite so far off. seems to only be off a fraction of a "click" or about the actual width of one of the lines. seems like if you zero your knob right on the center line of the turret its a tooth off and wont lock down. you have to twist it a tiny bit for it to fall into the slot. for me that twist is only about half a mm.

could it be done in purpose so you dont bump the turrets into the locked position?

i can live with it, i just dont like how the dial can go halfway down and still turn with no reference lines. should be all up or all down, no in between. </div></div>

Got mine yesterday. Mine lines up perfect but does have that halfway thing you are talking about. Haven't had the chance to really mess with it. So far, I am very happy with it, but wont really know until I get it mounted up and a few hundred down range.

so, i swapped the ele and wind knobs and it lines up now. win is dead center and ele is almost dead on. the white is touching, just slightly off to the side.

it works, but my tasco (ZOS) 10-40x60SF scope that i got for free has really solid knobs and lines up perfectly. figured a $700 scope would be a little better right out of the box.

Just purchased a Weaver 3-15x50 last week. The lines on my turrets line up very nice. I do have to wiggle the turrets a tad to get them to locked down though. I wonder if this will improve at all with some use so they slide into place easier?

I'm sure this is a fine scope and at a very good price and even better with the rebate. It cost me 23+ $ to ship it back to Midway and from what I am hearing, the wiggle and slight misalignment is intrinsic to the design. I don't want to have to return it twice. I think I'll call them and tell them to just keep it and refund my $.

I recently acquired a SWFA 5x20 (@ double the price) that functions exactly as I had anticipated. That's what I'm looking for. I'll save a little longer and just keep looking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One Holer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Based on reviews here, I just got in on this Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 deal at Midway as well. I also purchased the 50 mm Grandslam sunshade and Butler Creek scope caps as well. I bought #19 eye and #44 objective. Hope the eye fits as their seems to be some confusion weather it is the #18 or 19 eye.

One Holer </div></div>

I put the 19 on mine and it is a good fit. If it were any smaller I don't think it would slide on very far without really, really forcing it or heating the plastic to soften it up.

I bought the #19 for mine and it fits ok but is easy to knock off. The solution is one layer of black electrical tape around the bell. It centers up well and stays in place.

The tolerances on the scopes or the Butler Creeks must vary quite a bit. I had to force the 19 to get it on all the way. <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Arctic_Eddie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought the #19 for mine and it fits ok but is easy to knock off. The solution is one layer of black electrical tape around the bell. It centers up well and stays in place.
</div></div>

I use #18 eye piece for mine and went on smooth and tight. No problems. As for the knobs mine line up as they should, sucks that they don't for everyone but that happens even with the likes of S&B as well (just less often).

Flyingbullseye

Yes ,up and locked .<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blue109</div><div class="ubbcode-body">gonif..so the line on the dial is exactly centered on the line on your turret? both up and locked? </div></div>

I got this scope about a week or so ago and i have to say i love it. This is my first FFP illuminated scope. The glass is very clear and crisp. The turrets are pretty well made and my elevation turret has the misalignment issue that others have mentioned and it doesnt bother me at all. The illumination is pretty nice to use when you need it. I like the EMDR reticle overall. One thing i noticed is this scope is heavy. Looking forward to getting lots of use out of it.