• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Newbie Question if you please

mdslammer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Hello,
Glad I found this forum. I'm sure I can learn a great deal here.
Well, my question is: I'd like to get into long distance competitve shooting. Eventually working my way up to 1000 yds.
I've been reading several posts regarding what kind of rifle to
get, what caliber is best an so forth.

I have a friend at work who's looking to sell his rifle package
and wanted to get your thoughts on it.
Here's what he's selling for $1,900.00.
Remington 700 PSS / clip fed
Leupold Vari X iii / 4'6 x 20 x 50 (Mil dot tactical)
Warn Base & Rngs (?)
Harris Bipod

Is this a good price for this package and will the rifle shoot
accurately up to 1000 yds?

Or if you have any other suggestions for which rifle/scope setup to look into, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks in advance.
Mark
Las Vegas, NV

Re: Newbie Question if you please

how does the rifle and optic look? If it a Mk4 6.5-20x50 its a decent scope. If the rifle and optic are in good condition its not a bad deal, but its also "Magazine fed" not clip
wink.gif

Goto the for sale section. There is a Rem 700P with a adjustable cheek for under $800 shipped. That leaves alot of $$ for a nice optics set up. $1900 seems questionable at best for what you have described. Don't blow your wad before you do your research.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how does the rifle and optic look? If it a Mk4 6.5-20x50 its a decent scope. If the rifle and optic are in good condition its not a bad deal, but its also "Magazine fed" not clip
wink.gif
</div></div>

Haven't seen the package yet. Magazine fed. Got it. I posted what he wrote down. I thought it was called a magazine but...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LR-WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-style: italic">Don't blow your wad before you do your research.</span> </div></div>
That's why I'm here now doing my due dilligence.
Thanks.

If its in great shape i dont see anything wrong with paying about 15 or 1600 at the most for the package deal. But not 1900

Your lookin at under 1,000 for "most" of the standard 700 series that REM offers, even the new SPS is right around 800 bone dry, so unless its got a 600 dollar stock i dont see paying 1900 for it.

why not get somethin new that you can take pride into building into a precision rifle learning it inside and out as you go?

I would look for a rifle chambered in something that could reach out and touch 1000 yard consistently. If you are new to shooting, and not a reloader take a look at Winchester's Ballistics Lab http://www.winchester.com/LEARNING-CENTER/Pages/Ballistics-Calculator.aspx You can check out the ballistics of their box ammo, and compare point of aim to point of impact. Then you can then check out the price of that ammo, and compare it with your shooting budget. For 1000yds 300 Winchester Magnum is nice, and ranges from $20 to $75 for a box of 20. Remember, you can easily shoot the same it cost for your package as you can in a life time of ammo.

I wouldn't buy it. If he doesn't know the proper terminology regarding his ammunition source, who knows what he has done to the inside of the barrel. Base could be installed too tight/lose, rings could be the same. Who knows, I'd buy an SPS Tactical, replace the stock, and upgrade from there.

Agree on .300/.338. Compete with a .308 @ 1000y and hit with luck thru aplied skill. Not much of a comp.
Scope I would go as high power as possible could get a 25+
Mk4 is good
r700 is good rifle
I use an old school Savage Mdl 10 tac in .308 if you want a good rifle at a good price.

$1900 will get you a NIB SPS, PSS and a complete SWFA SS Optics System(more better base and rings IM[no H because it ain't]O) with a little change for ammo to break it in right.
If your friend's rifle is unfired that is still close on worth.
If it is shot, how was it broken in? Does it shoot one ragged hole at 100M, a tight group at 200M etc?

Forgot, I would also use a -20* base to give you adjustment at 1000.
Good luck on the rifle hunt!

You know switchblade has a point. If it wasn't broken in correctly you could sling rounds out past 100. Think this way. You could be sighting in @ 300-600y to shoot @ 1000. If you can't group at those dist, your pissing in wind ever shot after. Esp if you don't have a spotter.