• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Newer paints rfor stainless steel barrel

Snuby642

Two Star General
Minuteman
  • Feb 11, 2017
    I have been researching paints for stainless steel ar barrel for a while have red posts here but not found any recents, if i missed them slape me in the right direction please.

I do not want to pull barrel off or send it out at this time, seperation issues !
    Cant find out if there is any that are high temperature and self etching.
    No vidioes show anyone painting an ss barrel and the manufacturers dance around the subject.

Last season i forgot my barrel was stainless and the deer were spooky, resorted to ripping a leg off camo pants and rubber banding it in place.

It worked got my deer, problem was my ass got cold !!

Snuby642

GunKote has a great air dry if you don't have an oven to use their baked finish. You still need to do all the prep as usual but results are excellent. AlumaHyde from Brownells is also very good and minimal prep, no baking. Buy some extra nozzles though as they tend to plug easy.

Cerakote has both bake and air dry.

Its best if you sandblast the parts you are going to spray first. It'll end up being a better product.

Deano

Dura coated the thing!
    We will see if worth the preparation and expense.
    Followed thier game plan looks good.

Attachments

• photo75863.jpg
      photo75863.jpg
      59.3 KB · Views: 92
    Cheap way to do it is to use ceramic brake paint. I found out it works well against solvents and heat. Doesn't need to be baked. Just put a lot of fine coats on, that works best with no runs and gives a uniform dull finish. Just follow directions. You could rough up the barrel with sandpaper if you like, but make sure it's CLEAN and has no grease or residue. No paint sticks to that.

If you have a lot of stuff you need cerakoted, generally you can break it all down yourself, put in boxes labeled with the desired color and pay a "bulk price" since they'll be doing no assy. or disassy., just painting random parts according to color.

But spray cans are the norm, Bowflage was great when they made it, it was removable (easily removable) but hasn't been made in years. Krylon is the norm now, when it wears enough or needs to be removed and reapplied, it's just stripped and redone or whatever.

I painted my rifles when they needed it, I do paint SS barrels black though unless they come dull gray from sandblasting. I've also had barrels just sandblasted so I didn't have to paint them. If ever the time comes to paint my rifles again, I'll wait and paint them the appropriate color. Until then, they stay black.

I have had a rifle Cerakoted and also ordered one that way. But I don't really see the tactical advantage --there's the price and then it'll have to be camo'd anyway if it's every deployed.

Painting stainless steel is no different than painting any other steel. Where do people get these ideas?