• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Next step up in optics

aslrookie

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2017
I have had a wide range of optics since getting into long range shooting. I started with a Bushnell HDMR, Gen 3 K624i, Burris XTRII 4-20, and I currently have a NF 4-14 F1. My NF has been a great optic. My only complaint is that it lacks the magnification on the top end. My K624i was rarely used on 24x. Most of the time I was on 16-18x. Where I used to live, matches were basically sub 700 yards more around 550 on average and thought I had a lot of money tied up in something that wasn't being fully used. I sold the K624i and bought the NF.

Now that I moved out west, distances can get out there. I have used my NF out to 1200 yards on cloudy winter days. For the price, it's one hell of an optic in my opinion. I just wish they made the SHV F1 in a higher mag range.

What optic or budget would I have to step up to for the same quality and or better of my NF but with more mag range? We can rule out the big dogs because I don't travel to every PRS match and compete on the national stage.

The Burris XTRII was a little disappointing. It looked great when it was nice out, but the same day I shot 1200 with the NF...the Burris seemed to lack optical clarity in comparison.

Last edited:
Trijicon 4.5-30x56 ffp. Mil or moa. Very nice glass and reticles. $1,770 from eurooptic. I have burris xtrii 5-25 and Minox zp5 5-25 and the trijicon is a lot closer to minox than burris in glass quality.

Trijicon 4.5-30x56 ffp. Mil or moa. Very nice glass and reticles. $1,770 from eurooptic. I have burris xtrii 5-25 and Minox zp5 5-25 and the trijicon is a lot closer to minox than burris in glass quality.

Yeah, I saw the trijicon but I wasn't sure if that would actually be a step up in quality or not. I wasn't sure where they were made and not much information on them.

Agreed not a lot of info available on Trijicons yet. They are made in Japan by LOW same as Gen 2 Vortex, Nightforce, XRSII etc..

Attachments

• Trij.PNG
    Trij.PNG
    403.5 KB · Views: 52
Reactions: aslrookie
Check Trij. Warranty on their scopes. Just saying

I took a trip to my local Cabela's to look at some optics. Fortunately for me, this Cabelas stocks everything from low end to S&B, Kahles, NF, and etc. They didn't have the Trijicon 4.5-30x in stock, but the Leupold Mark 5 3.6-18 and the 5-24x caught my eye.

They also had a SHV F1 in stock, so I was able to compare them side-by-side. I am really liking the 5-24 Mk5. They had it for $2k. It's a big scope, but it's not heavy either.

I would suggest that in the $2k range if you are willing to hunt around here on the forum, you can find a lot of higher tier used scopes in the 20 to 25 max power range depending on how picky you are about the reticles.

In the $2k range you would be looking at the S&B 5-25x56 or some of the Nightforce ones, or some of the Leupold Mark 8 ones as well as quite a few others.

Reactions: aslrookie
You could take a look at the Tract Toric HD 4-20x50, made at LOW with Schott glass, FFP, MIL-MIL, zero stop, etc.

You could take a look at the Tract Toric HD 4-20x50, made at LOW with Schott glass, FFP, MIL-MIL, zero stop, etc.
I’ll second the comment on the Tract Toric HD. I bought one and was so impressed with it I sold a Burris XTRII 5-20 and bought another one. The glass on the two scopes were not even close and the locking turrets are really nice too. I have a Sig Sauer Tango 6 and I think the glass on the Toric is just as good. As far as durability only time will tell but the scope seems to be built like a tank.

Steiner T5Xi can be a good value if you buy a demo model. I got mine from Cameraland. Liberty Optics has good sales on the Vortex Razor IIs and AMGs.

There are multiple 4.5-27 gen 2 razors under 2k turn key in for sale section and some deals on 5-25 atacr and Schmidt in the low 2’s depending on reticle preference. If that’s in your budget I don’t know why you’d ever roll the dice on a trijicon for a couple hundred difference. They are all 3 very good scopes with track record to back up what you’re spending on them.

I am not really a fan of the Gen 2 vortex. I often hike in the mountains for hunting and those scopes are ridiculously heavy. Ounces = pounds, pounds = pain.

There are several version of the same basic LOW design out there: Athlon Cronus 4.5-29x56, Trijicon 4.5-30x56 and Delta Stryker HD 4.5-30x56. I have not seen the Trijicon live yet, but I assume it is built to the same basic quality. Trijicon warranty department has not earned any high marks from me over the years, but I will also freely admit that bad service rep has never prevented me from buying a scope. Between these three, you can pretty much choose the reticle you prefer. If you decide you like the Delta, I can probably get one for you. Just let me know which reticle you prefer.

ILya

Reactions: deersniper
Around 2k price range, look around in the PX here for a used Schmidt 5-25 or a Minox ZP5.

I am not really a fan of the Gen 2 vortex. I often hike in the mountains for hunting and those scopes are ridiculously heavy. Ounces = pounds, pounds = pain.

For weight, Vortex AMG or Leupold MK5. The Minox isn’t much heavier either, just looks bulky.

There are several version of the same basic LOW design out there: Athlon Cronus 4.5-29x56, Trijicon 4.5-30x56 and Delta Stryker HD 4.5-30x56. I have not seen the Trijicon live yet, but I assume it is built to the same basic quality. Trijicon warranty department has not earned any high marks from me over the years, but I will also freely admit that bad service rep has never prevented me from buying a scope. Between these three, you can pretty much choose the reticle you prefer. If you decide you like the Delta, I can probably get one for you. Just let me know which reticle you prefer.

ILya
How would you rate these compared to Nightforce?

How would you rate these compared to Nightforce?

Which Nightforce? Durability is difficult to determine from looking at just a couple of products, but I ahve talked to a lot of people who sell them and it looks like they are holding up really well.

In terms of optical quality, these are close to the ATACR. Maybe a touch worse, but close. Better than SHV.

My basic problem with Nightforce (similarly to a few other brands) is the lack of non-Horus tree reticles, so I end up looking elsewhere.

ILya