• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Next upgrade for accuracy?

Sweetyzfd

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2013
NY - Southern Tier
I'm learning a lot on the site. Wondering my next step for accuracy? I know...... I probably would have went a different route with the stock but its too late now....

SPS Tactical 308
B&C A5 medalist
Viper PST 4-16 FFP
Hand loads...... Getting .5 inch at 100 yards with: Lapua brass, 168 SMKs, CCI 200 primer and 42.1gr 4064

If I get it trued can I use the factory barrel or do I have to buy new?
Bedding?
Trigger?
Any other suggestions

Thanks guys

Buy as much ammo/loading supplies as you can afford, and go shoot the piss outta that factory barrel. Get off the bench (assuming that's where you've done your load development from) and learn to establish a solid NPA from prone. Then begin to explore other positions. Find a more experienced shooter if you can, and work with him on the fundamentals. Warning: not all experienced shooters will bring equal value. Choose wisely. If you do not see incremental improvement, seek out good formal instruction. It will be money well spent.

My guess is if you attend a class, you'll walk away with a better idea of how you might like you switch up your gear. I sure as hell did.

Last edited:
Bedding, if done correctly, usually produces more consistent accuracy from my experience. Unless there's a problem I doubt it will in tease the accuracy that much, since you're already getting .5 out of it. A trigger is a good upgrade, but again if you're already getting .5 then probably not much difference. Shoot it a lot and then rebarrel. I wouldn't true the action without replacing the barrel, but again if you're getting .5 then it's accurate enough. Now if .5 is the best and its not consistently doing that then any of the above additions may make it more consistent. Fundamentals make a huge difference, so maybe training or verification of your fundamentals can be the best investment!