• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Setting up a Rem 700 SA ?'s aka The 1001 FNG ?'s

boatbum101

Private
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2023
Pensacola , FL
Have a 700 BDL SA C series & a take-off 26" Varmit barrel 308W . Am having barrel inspected by a 'smith & if nfg will go the Criterion remage route from NSS . IIRC the Varmit barrels are long throated & factory mag box will only allow 2.860" oal . To keep a 168 SMK in the neck with sufficent pull is roughly 2.885" which will not even kiss in my barrel . I did discuss setting it back some to be able to have a shorter throat . Now would converting to a DBM allow longer OAL than factory magazine box ? If so which one to buy for something that'll last w/o a bunch of problems & be installed with a min of mods to factory bdl wood stock ? Am on a budget but only want to buy once , cry once . To cut initial costs I plan to pillar / devcon bed factory wood stock & down the road upgrade . The chassis systems appear to be the easiest cost effective stable platform but add at least $ 500 to the tab . Next have to figure out which M & R & suitable glass .

I doubt your barrel is bad, but do you have the history of it? Did the previous owner tell you it was bad? Hod did he know?

If you go with a KRG Bravo, you can run AICS mags which have 2.880 of useable COAL.

A Bravo is $369 from KRG.

Reactions: boatbum101
I have an 80's vintage .308 VSSF/HS precision stock, and the bullets jump a long ways to the lands because of maximum magazine length allowed. That being said, even with the long jump, it has shot well with 155's, 168's, and 178's. Maybe try it as is to start out, a KRG bravo chassis is reasonably affordable and would allow you to seat bullets out further..

I would think that modifying a wood stock to accept a DBM system might be half the cost of a Bravo?

If you get a Criterion Barrel you may be able to spec your chamber length based on the bullet you plan to use. Good Luck.

I doubt your barrel is bad, but do you have the history of it? Did the previous owner tell you it was bad? Hod did he know?

If you go with a KRG Bravo, you can run AICS mags which have 2.880 of useable COAL.

A Bravo is $369 from KRG.
I spent 7 hrs scrubbing the copper out of it . No idea of barrel history which is why I took it to a pro to evaluate . No sense installing if it's not good . With the Bravo & most other you have to also buy a buttstock & other stuff if not mistaken . Good to know dbm can run longer oal .

With the Bravo & most other you have to also buy a buttstock & other stuff if not mistaken . Good to know dbm can run longer oal .

No, KRG Bravo comes complete, ready to drop your barreled action in, torque screws, and shoot. No need to purchase receiver extension, butt stock, grip, etc. You will need AICS pattern magazines, Magpul makes an inexpensive version that sells for around $40.

No, KRG Bravo comes complete, ready to drop your barreled action in, torque screws, and shoot. No need to purchase receiver extension, butt stock, grip, etc. You will need AICS pattern magazines, Magpul makes an inexpensive version that sells for around $40.
Thanks . Just pulled the trigger on one . Glad you explained it to me . Looked at MDT stuff & got confused as have to buy all that .

Reactions: ArTeeKay
I have a 700 short action 308 in a krg bravo stock . It's about as easy as it get's . I picked up mag-pul AICS magazines at academy for around 35.00 . I think you will be happy with the chassis . I also used it on a 6.5 creedmoor Remington 700 that use the remage barrel nut no problem at all .
IMG_4728.jpeg

Have a 700 BDL SA C series & a take-off 26" Varmit barrel 308W . Am having barrel inspected by a 'smith & if nfg will go the Criterion remage route from NSS . IIRC the Varmit barrels are long throated & factory mag box will only allow 2.860" oal . To keep a 168 SMK in the neck with sufficent pull is roughly 2.885" which will not even kiss in my barrel . I did discuss setting it back some to be able to have a shorter throat . Now would converting to a DBM allow longer OAL than factory magazine box ? If so which one to buy for something that'll last w/o a bunch of problems & be installed with a min of mods to factory bdl wood stock ? Am on a budget but only want to buy once , cry once . To cut initial costs I plan to pillar / devcon bed factory wood stock & down the road upgrade . The chassis systems appear to be the easiest cost effective stable platform but add at least $ 500 to the tab . Next have to figure out which M & R & suitable glass .
A cheap way... is to inlet the Magpul bottom metal (plastic) for BDL short action, with a mill or dremel hand grinder it's close but needs a little inletting ...$67
Buy a MDT 308, center feed, metal mag, without the center support and it feed 2.980" 308 win cartridges, $75... or a cheaper one with less COAL but may serve your purpose...pillar bed the stock ya have. I used a free, (cause I already had it), HS PRECISION Police Sniper stock in 308. Bought a new Bartlein a 9 twist and chambered it (no... I didn't "spun it up", morons). Shoots everything from 130gr to 230 gr very well. A factory barrel "can be" pretty accurate. But if its a take off, and the action seperate, I true the action and put a 9 twist Rem Varmint on it 22". Light 7.75 lbs and accurate way past 1000yds. With 200 to 230 gr bullets with BCs into .8 G1. But if you use the factory barrel a better bullet than the 168 or old 175 are the new Sierra 169 and 177 gr ...accurate and better BC for Long Range, so give em a try. But if you use a take off it will have to be checked with a go and no go gauge and see if the bolt nose clears the barrel counter bore. Easily done by measuring before assembly with the barrel, recoil lug, and action you are gonna use. I built mine for $600 counting the muzzle brake, bottom metal, magazine, the new Bartlein barrel was $400, and added a tactical bolt knob. And I already owned the chamber reamer. The factory 308 police barrel is accurate for at least 8000 rds. I took that 8,000 rd bolt barrel and turned it into a AR 15 30RAR it was 26" profiled it, cut off the chamber and shortened it, cutting out much of the firecracking. The 30 RAR AR 15 shoots the same 155 Lapua bullet that the 308 liked. A repurposed factory hammer forged barrel with 8000 rds chambered for 30 RAR and shoots 3 shots in .2s and 3s 5 short in .5" to .75" have about $340 in it. So you csn build a cheap rifle that shoots good. But I usually use a quality barrel, Bartlein or Proof for most projects, it ups the chances alot, of getting a good shooter.