• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes NF 2.5-10x32 vs Leupold 3.5-10x40 M3 FFP

wslowik

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Looking to get a discussion going on the pros and cons of these two scopes, let's say both with a mildot reticle.

The way I see it-

Nightforce pros:
-Illumination
-Mil knobs w/ zero stop
-Perhaps better build quality/reliability

Leupold pros:
-FFP
-Larger objective

So which scope would you rather have for a lightweight tactical rifle? Does FFP and the 40mm obj. sway you to the Leupold, or does the mil/mil/zs and illumination sway you to the Nightforce?

Re: NF 2.5-10x32 vs Leupold 3.5-10x40 M3 FFP

I'll see your two and raise you one:

IOR 2.5-10 x 42 30mm Tactical First Focal Plane, MP-8 Dot Illuminated Reticle MIL/MIL $1189.00 delivered from Liberty Optics

Whatever you've heard about IOR, this is the best and most relaible scope they make. Anybody who needs a scope that tops out at 10x, should have this scope on the short list.

Bob

unless you're spinning data from 100-800 yards, you really don't need (and I wouldn't want) the M3 knobs.

Among other scopes, I currently own a NF 2.5-10, a Leupold 3.5-10x40mm M3 SFP, and a Leupold 4.5-14x50mm M5 FFP.

The 40mm Leupold is slightly better in low light versus the NF. NF's illuminated reticle is too bright at its lowest setting for my tastes. The FFP of the Leupold is definitely a plus. I suggest M5 turrents to compliment a mil-based reticle. No zero-stop on the M5, but not causing any issues so far for me.

Of the two you mentioned, I suggest the Leupold, but with M5 (mil) turrents.

Don't forget about the 3-9 Super Sniper. I was trying to decide between the scope you are looking at and ended up with the SS. If illumination isn't high on your feature requirements its a tough scope to beat.

Just found out about the Premier Light Tactical scope coming out in the near future. I'm hot on that thing now. Looks like the perfect no compromise scope for my application.

I've got a Leupold 3.5-10 LR M3 and it's limitations are it's elevation clicks are 1 MOA per click and windage is 1/2 MOA per click. I don't like that very much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll see your two and raise you one:

IOR 2.5-10 x 42 30mm Tactical First Focal Plane, MP-8 Dot Illuminated Reticle MIL/MIL $1189.00 delivered from Liberty Optics

Whatever you've heard about IOR, this is the best and most relaible scope they make. Anybody who needs a scope that tops out at 10x, should have this scope on the short list.

Bob
</div></div>

This would be my choice when choosing between these 3 scopes. Especially if it is the newest version with the same reticle as the 3-18 scopes and exposed knobs.

IOR 2.5-10 or NF if you can afford it.

If you're on a budget then the super sniper 3-9, bushnell 3-12 or (when it comes out) vortex pst 2.5-10.

edit: M3 isn't bad but I would only go for it if you could find one for 650 or so used and didn't mind MOA clicks elevation. It's not bad at all but when you consider stacking tolerances the 1moa clicks can get big.

Anyone have pics of the Leupold FFP mildot at 3.5 and 10x? Are the outer lines that run to the edge of the field of view thicker than the TMR?

Found these two of the TMR, just looking for what the mildot looks at these magnifications.

img_527381_32766797_1.jpg

img_527381_32766797_2.jpg

I haven't settled on my 10x yet but between these 2 the NF and Leupy. I like the leupold. I don't like the idea of a 32mm objective. And in contrast to others i think i would enjoy the big MOA clicks for the scope on a SPR. I like the idea of having only one revolution and being able to travel in elevation very quickly. I know mil mil is a plus but if you don't plan on milling i don't see the huge deal. Could you not just make a range chart with 2 sets of measurements, Mil and MOA? So if you want to hold over with the reticle use the mil, if not dial it in with the knobs.

I really like the Leupold M5 but I'm not a big fan of FFP under 10x. Also the M3 is 1moa adjustments were I can get the NF 2.5-10x32mm with 1/10mil so I presently would prefer the Nightforce 2.5-10x32mm.
AR10-NF1032m-2.jpg

Mike @ CST

Leupold 3.5-10 also comes with m5 turrets (.1 mil). If you are linked to any govt agency, you can get quite a deal on said Leupold.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BaileyMoto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Leupold 3.5-10 also comes with m5 turrets (.1 mil). If you are linked to any govt agency, you can get quite a deal on said Leupold. </div></div>Where at? From promotive?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CrazyDonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BaileyMoto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Leupold 3.5-10 also comes with m5 turrets (.1 mil). If you are linked to any govt agency, you can get quite a deal on said Leupold. </div></div>Where at? From promotive? </div></div>

Yep

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BaileyMoto</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CrazyDonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BaileyMoto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Leupold 3.5-10 also comes with m5 turrets (.1 mil). If you are linked to any govt agency, you can get quite a deal on said Leupold. </div></div>Where at? From promotive? </div></div>

Yep </div></div> yeah i checked this morning, some god prices there.

I am kind of in the same dilema with my LTR. I am leaning toward either buying a new Leupold M3 or buying another 2.5-10x32 NF and transfering my current M3 to the LTR.

I have been to a couple classes with guys that ran the M3 turret and it is very fast. Range,set to the number on the dial and shoot. Works great for head and torso steel. No counting of clicks or MOAs and it has a built in zero stop.

My intent for this rifle is to be able get lead on target out to 800 the fastest way possible and I will run the FGGM 168 or equivelent. So far I think this is the fastest way besides using holdovers on a reticle like the IOR MP8 or the NF NPR that has .5 mil hash marks.

I dont think I will go with the FFP, I keep the setting at 10x most of the time any way to shoot, I can also see the target better to mill it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Re25</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am kind of in the same dilema with my LTR. I am leaning toward either buying a new Leupold M3 or buying another 2.5-10x32 NF and transfering my current M3 to the LTR.

<span style="font-weight: bold">I have been to a couple classes with guys that ran the M3 turret and it is very fast.</span> Range,set to the number on the dial and shoot. Works great for head and torso steel. No counting of clicks or MOAs and it has a built in zero stop.

My intent for this rifle is to be able get lead on target out to 800 the fastest way possible and I will run the FGGM 168 or equivelent. So far I think this is the fastest way besides using holdovers on a reticle like the IOR MP8 or the NF NPR that has .5 mil hash marks.

I dont think I will go with the FFP, I keep the setting at 10x most of the time any way to shoot, I can also see the target better to mill it. </div></div>

Thats exactly why i want the M3, plus i like the 40mm objective over the 32mm. Now only if leupold would lower the prices. Pretty ridiculous how much they're asking IMO. But i've found the M3(FFP) for 1350, you have to do some looking though. Hopefully now that luepold has they're new tactical line being fielded and equally contracted to the military, the mark 4 prices will drop.

I love my M3, accurate enough for precision work and the 1 MOA adjustments are lighten quick! I don't see why this hasn't caught on with more scope makers. I agree they are overpriced for what they...