• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NF NXS Compact Questions

Jig Stick

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Im pulling the trigger on one of these scopes. The 2.5-10x42mm. Whats the consensus on the MIL-R reticle? It seems a little "odd", but its either that or standard mil dots if I want a mil reticle. I am used to the Leupold TMR reticle….its all I have shot up until this NF. It will be used on a .270 mostly, and sometimes on my 7wsm. Is a zerostop really necessary for shots in the 700-1000yd range? How many mils / revolution of the turret is there?

Mil-R works fine. I'm sending this from my iPhone sitting in a hog blind with a 308 topped with a Mil-R NXS 2.5-10x42. The NF compacts are only 5 mil per turn, so yes I like having the zero stop. I set it for 0.5 mil under my 100 yard zero. Perfect size and weight for a tactical type scope on a hunting rifle. I say go for it.

Have one with MOAR reticle and am very impressed. It is the excellent quality with the feel of the larger NXS, but a nice size for a lighter hunting rifle. Definitely recommend.

I really like the idea of this scope. Damn I wish it was like 2-12 though. I plan on using it on my .270 lightweight hunting rifle and a 7wsm that I have in the work. It is not out of the question that I will take shots over 700yds with either gun. I just hope I can get hits on target with only 10 power. Both guns Im trying to keep under 9-10lbs including scope. So scope options are limited if I want open mil turrets and mil reticles. THe small Viper PST is my really only other option. But it weighs more

It is not out of the question that I will take shots over 700yds with either gun. I just hope I can get hits on target with only 10 power. Both guns Im trying to keep under 9-10lbs including scope. So scope options are limited if I want open mil turrets and mil reticles.
Earlier this year I took an AR-15 with the NSX Compact 2.5-10x32 MOAR to a course at Rifles Only in Texas. After a quick refresh from Jacob and Todd to eliminate a bit of my sheep-dip sloppiness behind the trigger, we went to the tower for long range work.

I was able to spot my own impacts on 2 MOA plates (and a fair number of misses in the dirt berms, too) out to 800 yards with this setup. Actually, I was able to spot impacts on and off target for the other shooters with my 10x scope out to 1,000 yards -- it's just that my AR-15 ran out of gas beyond 800 yards.

My only issue with the NSX is the reticle can be challenging to find against really dark targets. The reticle lines are fairly fine, and of course being a SFP scope, the reticle lines stay the same thickness (visually to the shooter) at all powers. Against lighter colored targets, the reticle is great.

Bottom line -- 700 yards with this scope is not a problem. I do thing the 42mm scope is the way to go, as it has parallax adjustment. My 32mm scope does not have parallax adjustment.

I made the same decision about two months ago and went with the Mil-R. It seemed a bit busy for me when I was making the decision but it is quickly growing on me.
Overall I REALLY like this scope. I took it to northern BC and dragged it through every terrible condition I wish to go through for 10 days hunting mountain goats.
Unfortunately no goat, but I'm very happy with the decision on the optic.

Love my 2.5-10X42, not too large, heavy, very clean glass. Super scope for me.

I'd spring for the ZS if you can.

Good Luck.

I have this scope with the Mil-R reticle. My first NF (NXS 3.5-15x50) has a MLR reticle, I fell in love with it and the 3 NF's I bought since then has a Mil reticle (MLR, Mil-R, or MLR-2). I prefer Mils as it is faster to dial (fewer clicks) than MOA, and with fewer clicks I am less likely to get lost. If there is a downside it's that when shooting small targets (think 1/2" dots at 100+ yards) I sometimes have to use hold offs as the target may be between clicks, where a 1/8 minute target turret would get me closer. This does not matter at all on a hunting rifle. Definitely get the zero stop. It helps you recover if/when you get lost, and it's just one less thing you have to think about. Another advantage of the zero stop is you don't have to come off the target to get a look at numbers on the dial, just watch your target while you count clicks and your fingers do the turning. When switching the scope between rifles just note how many clicks from the bottom gets you back on your zero.

Get that scope with the ZS.

I really like the idea of this scope. Damn I wish it was like 2-12 though. I plan on using it on my .270 lightweight hunting rifle and a 7wsm that I have in the work. It is not out of the question that I will take shots over 700yds with either gun. I just hope I can get hits on target with only 10 power. Both guns Im trying to keep under 9-10lbs including scope. So scope options are limited if I want open mil turrets and mil reticles. THe small Viper PST is my really only other option. But it weighs more

Unless you need illumination and want SFP ( pretty sure in PA illumination is unlawful for hunting anyway) for about $300 more you can get a March 3-24x42 non-illuminated. Also Bushnells 3-12 and I believe a 4-18 LRHS for a few hundred less. If you want more magnification and light wieght.

With the Mil-R reticle, you're essentially exchanging the .8 mil and .2 mil hash marks for .5 mil marks only. In mil dot the diameter of the dot is .8 mil and the space between 2 dots is .2 mil. In Mil-R the long hashes are mils and half hashes are .5 mil.

It also depends on whether you like to zoom in. If you do zoom in, the Mil-R provides a better sight picture because its thinner. On low power the Mil-R hashes are hard to see unless you turn on illumination. Set the illumination intensity at the power you're most likely to use. The intensity of the illumination does vary with magnification.

Overall its a great

10x power is what the USMC used up to 1000 yards (10x Unertl). Think of it this way, 10x power at 1000 yards is like open sights at 100 yards.

Another 2.5-10x42 mil/mil user. Not much more to add that already hasn't been said other than... I really like mine too! The reticle is great and you'll get used to it. If they made this little bad boy in a 3-15 NF wouldn't be able to keep them in stock.

Another 2.5-10x42 mil/mil user. Not much more to add that already hasn't been said other than... I really like mine too! The reticle is great and you'll get used to it. If they made this little bad boy in a 3-15 NF wouldn't be able to keep them in stock.

So true - if they would come out with a 3-15x42 compact they would sell a ton of them.

I have 2 of the 2.5-10x42 both of mine have MOAR and they are great scopes!

Shane

So true - if they would come out with a 3-15x42 compact they would sell a ton of them.

I have 2 of the 2.5-10x42 both of mine have MOAR and they are great scopes!

Shane

I totally agree. A 3-15x42 would pretty much be the ultimate hunting scope. Especially if it was around the weight of the 2.5-10x42.

I've sold a lot of the 2.5-10 compact scopes with the mil-r and I've yet to have any complaints. I like it, if you wanna check it out, we offer a 30 day return policy

Unless you need illumination and want SFP ( pretty sure in PA illumination is unlawful for hunting anyway) for about $300 more you can get a March 3-24x42 non-illuminated. Also Bushnells 3-12 and I believe a 4-18 LRHS for a few hundred less. If you want more magnification and light wieght.

Illegal illumination means you can not use a lighting method to illuminate your prey during the hunt, i.e. spotlighting. Illegal illumination while hunting has nothing to do with illuminated reticles.

Illegal illumination means you can not use a lighting method to illuminate your prey during the hunt, i.e. spotlighting. Illegal illumination while hunting has nothing to do with illuminated reticles.

While your wrong about what I saying, Illuminated reticles are permitted in PA. They added the wording from the last time I read it to say "as long as they don't cast a beam". I guess they got complaints.

Pennsylvania Hunting and Trapping Digest, Page 17, Electronic devices.