• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NF scopes. What makes them superior??

Re: NF scopes. What makes them superior??

Did not forget them, I never used one, nor peered through one. Don't know anybody that has one. So all my knowledge is third hand.

Had a few Lupy's done by Premier back when they did that work, and they were a fine company then. Don't think they have changed, but like I said I have not touched their new product, so I can't comment.

I also left out Zeiss for the same reason. Last one I owned was over 15 years ago. I sure their product is different now, and better CS than back then.

Bob

Well, your assesment of NF is accurate and the only thing that prevents me from buying one. At that price level, I want all of the bells and whistles... But, I'd still take an F1 over anything Leupold has to offer.

I don't think my NSX is superior to other scopes like S&B, Ziess, or Premier, but I bought it because it represented it extreme value in glass, IMHO the glass is better than Luepold, and USO, it's repeatable, and has done nothing but impress me in it's usefullness.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kombayotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, your assesment of NF is accurate and the only thing that prevents me from buying one. At that price level, I want all of the bells and whistles... But, I'd still take an F1 over anything Leupold has to offer. </div></div>

Me too...

Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think my NSX is superior to other scopes like S&B, Ziess, or Premier, but I bought it because it represented it extreme value in glass, IMHO the glass is better than Luepold, and USO, it's repeatable, and has done nothing but impress me in it's usefullness. </div></div>

Some are, some aren't. I'd say 80% of the people I see at my range have NF scopes. Many are indeed better than my SN3, but some aren't. Wouldn't say they were worse though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think my NSX is superior to other scopes like S&B, Ziess, or Premier, but I bought it because it represented it extreme value in glass, IMHO the glass is better than Luepold, and USO, it's repeatable, and has done nothing but impress me in it's usefullness. </div></div>

And that's why you made the decision to purchase, because it did what you wanted it to do better than the others, not because some internet forum told you it was better.

Wow, I just got back in town and was checking my posts. I didnt mean to stir up a shit storm but thanks to all for their opinions. Now for another question, is it stupid to buy a used NF to try to save a couple hundred bucks, or just bite it and buy a new one that you know someone hasnt used to club baby seals to death. Is the warranty good no matter who owns it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MOOSEKNUCKLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Is the warranty good no matter who owns it? </div></div>

Yes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MOOSEKNUCKLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, I just got back in town and was checking my posts. I didnt mean to stir up a shit storm but thanks to all for their opinions. Now for another question, is it stupid to buy a used NF to try to save a couple hundred bucks, or just bite it and buy a new one that you know someone hasnt used to club baby seals to death. Is the warranty good no matter who owns it? </div></div>

No it is not stupid to by a used NF. I bought my NF from a fellow hide member($1300 - 5.5-22X56). The only thing I get annoyed with is when people dont lap there rings leaving slight ring marks.

I use NF rings/base on my set up, and on NF website, they advise not to lap their rings. About 100 rounds through mine, and did some custom work, so had to re-mount the scope, scope body was near clean, had too look for it to spot where the rings used to be at.

I do not know if mine is just that odd case, but certainly hope they keep that way for everyone else.

Just thought I share my experience.

Thanks,

Dyl..

No it is not stupid to by a used NF. I bought my NF from a fellow hide member($1300 - 5.5-22X56). The only thing I get annoyed with is when people dont lap there rings leaving slight ring marks. [/quote]

OK..to answer question #1. Yes I am stupid
Now for my question.. Does lapping the rings mean making sure that they are torqued down evenly on both sides?

Target, I didn't lap either set of mine for my F1s but I used a bar in them when I torqued down the rings to the base to make sure they were inline. Also there was no binding when I set the scope into the rings but if there was I might have run the bar through them a few strokes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go to Miday's web site and look at lapping bars, you'll understand then.

okie </div></div>

Should have know from lapping valves on bikes.
I was gonna buy a fat wrench for any future mounts after reading a thread about torquing to 12" pounds. Are all ring manufactures specs different and is it that critical to have everything perfect when mounting?

Bases to rifle 20-25 in/lbs with a little blue loctite on screws
Rings to base 65-68 in/lbs
Ring caps 15-20 in/lbs

Remember <span style="font-weight: bold">INCH POUNDS</span> and not foot pounds.

Gotcha...I will put the breaker bar back in the garage.
Thanks again to all of you for your help.

My 2 cents worth. I own a vari x III 4.5-14x50. vari x III 3.5-10x40, and and an "antique" vari x II 3-9x40 (all 1" tubes). i bought the vari x III's off SWFA sample list for a steal. I have never had any issues with them and have shot hog(s) while deer hunting with it (the 50mm) 45 mins. before daylight! Mine must have been built on a "good day", IMO they have "sold out " to the China and sacrificed their quality for the bottom line. I think the vari x III and earlier models and past reputation are what they are living on now, I've heard nothing good about their new models, and heard lots of bad about them. I just received my NF and have yet to shoot it (waiting on rings to get here). The clarity is at least as good and seems much better than leupolds, the quality and the heavy duty build on the the NF seem to be way ahead of leupold, and they haven't sold out to the freakin chinese!! There seem to be way to many people here on the Hide touting NF and dogging leupold, there is a reason for that. Ultimately it's a personal decision, but I know what mine is...Night Force all the way!!