• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NFO BEAST - first hand accounts?

Thanks guys... I got a little nervous/surprised because I have heard nothing but excellent things about the Bushnells. Really looking forward to getting my ERS. If I could afford a BEAST or a Kahles I'd be going that route but there are some great deals out there on the Bushies!

You'll be more than happy with the ERS. A lot of good shooters are running Bushies now. George and his competition team at GA Precision all shoot Bushnell though I'm not sure what model??? Their tracking and internals have been proven to be excellent with their higher end stuff and they've been making leaps-n-bounds increasing their glass quality as well. If you want to spend twice the cash later for a 10%-15% increase in glass moving to Kahles, S&B, TT or BEAST there's always that option, but most shooters will never notice the difference. Just my 2 cents.

-VB

who has the MIL-R version of the BEAST in stock

Nobody. All that is trickling out from the factory is pre-ordered and already spoken for. There may be a few pre-order slots available from various retailers where people cancelled due to the long wait, but you would have to call them to find out. I suggest you try sportoptics, milehighshootingsupplies, cs tactical, eurooptics or libertyoptics.

I got my mil-r through Midway, but I placed my order on August 1st last year.

So how much would a S&B with the same features cost... if there is such a S&B

I'll sell you mine....3-20 with msr reticle, mil adjustments. Been on my predatobr for about 15 shots. Sitting in my safe not in use.

So how much would a S&B with the same features cost... if there is such a S&B

New 3800++ at this point I think. Only real honest difference is the amount of elevation in the turrets.

Im a nf lover. I might buy one BEAST after removing that extra lever.01 /25moa..with 3800price? You guys should check the new vortex 4.5-27 its 1400.00 price diff

My experience with the SB 5-25x56 is the moa version so can't speak for the mil but...
My SB can't switch from red to green lit reticle (not a big deal but it is a difference)
My SB doesn't have a locking windage turret
My SB *DOES* have a parallax knob marked with ranges (Beast doesn't)

Im a nf lover. I might buy one BEAST after removing that extra lever.01 /25moa..with 3800price? You guys should check the new vortex 4.5-27 its 1400.00 price diff

I know what you're saying. Bushnell and Vortex are both putting out some really nice stuff and not all of us are good enough to get the price difference out the highest-tier optics. However, the BEAST is the scope I'd been "asking" NF to make for quite some time. My BEAST arrived a month or so ago and I'm looking forward to getting back to the U.S. and seeing it for myself. Will I ever be good enough to "need" optics on this level? probably not. BUT, since when did any of us make rational decisions about our toys?

so for about 10% more than a NF Beast one can purchase a similarly featured S&B

Looks to me like the turret lock on top has been redesigned from the early version.
zyme8u5e.jpg
Compare mine to the version shown on the gun broker add.

How does that windage lock work? Do you have to press in on the red button to turn?

To engage the elevation turret lock, you simply rotate it clockwise 45 degrees and it pops up. To disengage the lock, push it in and rotate 45 degrees counter clockwise.

The pictures posted are from SHOT 2013. Since that release the 360 degree brake knob was made larger and the position of the windage lock button was moved from the face of the knob to the side.

Those are old pictures for sure.

Sorry, I didn't read your post close enough. You said windage. Just press it in and turn the knob. It only locks at the zero position.

Meaning it pops back out and locks when returning to your windage zero. I kind of like that...

who has the MIL-R version of the BEAST in stock

One C448 in stock here.

I made the mistake of simply pulling a few random photos of the BEAST from the internet - and in doing so selected one that was not representative of this scope.

I've updated the photo of the brake. The scope here has the newer format:

IMG_1744.jpg

This past Saturday, I spent a good hour looking through the ATACR MOAR, ATACR MOAR-T, and the new BEAST MIL-R at extended ranges with another big fan of NF scopes, former IPSC world champion Matt McLearn. In addition to being a world class 1911 gunsmith, Matt also build some fine long range hunting rifles. Matt became unusually animated, exclaiming the BEAST was a step up in brightness, clarity, and contrast over even the ATACR.

Now, Matt is not a normal human, as can be imagined, with very strong eyes. But, even a mere mortal such as myself, 65 years of age with trifocals, could see a difference. This is not to say that the ATACR was anything less than excellent - the BEAST was just a bit better.

The BEAST comes with a fine looking set of proprietary flip up lens caps, too, a feature of which I was previously unaware.

This BEAST has had two buyers lined up that backed out. What is interesting is that both ended up buying ATACRs and they did not feel the need to attempt to upgrade further. I can of course understand, as I have three ATACRs, myself.

But, after looking through the BEAST, I felt like I had to have at least one, you know. What kind of NF dealer can I be if I'm not personally immersed in the product line, right? So, i contacted my NF rep about ordering my one-per-year scope for personal use. He advised me I'd have to wait until … 2015. Orders for the BEAST are backed up, apparently.

Last edited:
Yes, the proprietary flip up caps were an unexpected bonus. I especially like the way they are designed such that the front cap screws onto the front of the scope, and the rear cap can be reindexed or recentered when rotated on different magnification. Lot of features on this scope I like.

I've been thinking about getting one of those. Does the locking cam on the lever gouge into the rail at all?

Last edited:
I have taken mine off many times and I have not seen any gouging whatsoever on the rail. Now I don't over stress the levers either. And I'm very happy with it.

The sweet thing about the Tangent Theta is, that it really isn't new.... It is an improved upon Premier...... If you liked the Premier and your only complaint is, reticle binding(because the genius behind the scope over tightened, more than 15lb./in. ) or it's to hard to get on 0.1 mils. because the MTC, than you should love the Theta.... Just wish the price would drop to $3,700 although, at least!!! Everyone knows glass wise the Premier was on par with Schmidt & Bender, well Tangent Theta says they have improved that as well , just a hair I may add. Sounds like a winner if you have the money and it has the warranty to back it. We'll see if that guys prediction on the ShootOut Thread is correct??? Time will tell....

Here is a news flash Super Genius ... not all rings are designed to use 15 Inch Pounds,

Was it the user or the company who only tested their scope with Badger Rings before releasing it to the public ?

The company did recommend and to this day recommends using Badger rings, your correct...

I have taken the BEAST to beyond 2400 yards and was able to spot my hits better than the guy on a Leupold Tactical Spotter. I saw what he didn't, in fact he had to change spotters to a Zeiss to even see, meanwhile was making my own adjustments with it.

That is about as good of a compliment as one can pay to the optical quality of a scope. As a company NF is top shelf as everyone knows and their products do and have always spoken for themselves. Their product line was getting a little dated with the NXS product (although it is still an excellent scope) but IMO they have really stepped up with the BEAST. I am sure it will become what the NXS is, an industry benchmark for reliability. I have been having a hard time not ordering one...

Cool! I just discovered that the digilum reticle has three settings: red, green, and night vision, each with about 4 to 7 different intensities.

Last edited: