• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce ATACR. Complete failure!

Well, appropriate or not, I'm going to go ahead and relate an experience I had with CS Tactical;

I bought a Minox ZP-5, MR4 from CST about a year and a half ago. At the time, MR4's were in extremely short supply, as well as changing from the old rep on the east coast to the one in Texas (Blaser, I think). CST/Mike/Richard told me they had "found one in the system" and could have it to me in very short order (2 or 3 days). Of course, I said sure, as I didn't have to pay a premium for it. When the scope arrived, it had minor, yet conclusive indications of having been a salesman's sample (writing on the tube in pencil, faint ring marks, etc).
I called CST and talked to Richard and explained it to him. I told him that if I was buying a heavily discounted scope, that would be one thing, but for a full boat priced Mercedes or Porsche equivalent, I was not warm to the idea of potentially inheriting someone else's problems.

He asked that I be patient and he would talk to Mike and Mike would call me back within the hour. Mike called 25 minutes later. We discussed it briefly and he basically said "check your e-mail, you'll be receiving a prepaid shipping label to return it to us (CST) within an hour". 30 minutes (or so) later, I was printing out the shipping label and boxing up the "old" one (was only able to fondle it for an hour or so) and sent it back.

They (CST) received it, inspected it and said "yep, it's been used, how do you want to proceed ?". I said I still wanted a new one. They didn't have any in stock, but there was a shipment on the way. They didn't bump anyone else to put me at the top of the list (which is completely understandable/acceptable), but said that not all of the shipment was sold, so I would get one out of that shipment (which is what ultimately happened, to my satisfaction).

Edit, 092218; At no point in time did I ever think CST had any idea that the scope that they ultimately sent (routed to me) was used/demo'd. If anything, I think they were trying their very best to provide top notch customer service by finding "a scope in the system" and did not know that someone else had "pulled a fast one on them", and on me. I have nothing but respect and appreciation for CST. Like I said, they get it.

The point is that when someone spends upwards of $3,000.00 for anything, much less a scope, there is a different level of service expected by the consumer. Did CST meet my expectations ? No. They vastly exceeded them. Keep in mind, CST probably had to "eat" some of the profit from an otherwise "clean sale" and had to put it into their demo pool.....by no fault of their own. They took a hit and I took a little in terms of delivery. Fair is fair. CST are obviously in this for the long haul, and they know that. Short term thinking doesn't work here. CST are investing in their products, their business and most importantly, their customers. They get it.

From my perspective, (assuming everything that has been written previously is accurate), if I were the consumer I would have been quite disappointed in Nightforce and their policy. "Policies" are written by humans, they are not spit out of a computer randomly. Someone, somewhere, made the decision to enforce their warranty/non-warranty policy in that fashion. That fashion is not complimentary to the manner/mindset to which I buy high ticket items.

Additionally, I'm puzzled about how a scope that can have such a "stellar reputation" for being "rugged" can "just break", as described (again, assuming the description is accurate). I'm not interested in getting in a pissing match with anyone over this. There are obviously a lot of differing opinions on this subject and that's great. I don't discount anyone else's opinions any more than I think my opinion should take precedent over what anyone else thinks.

Me ? I simply vote with my wallet......Thanks CST for great C/S ;):):cool:

Last edited:
Well, appropriate or not, I'm going to go ahead and relate an experience I had with CS Tactical;

I bought a Minox ZP-5, MR4 from CST about a year and a half ago. At the time, MR4's were in extremely short supply, as well as changing from the old rep on the east coast to the one in Texas (Blaser, I think). CST/Mike/Richard told me they had "found one in the system" and could have it to me in very short order (2 or 3 days). Of course, I said sure, as I didn't have to pay a premium for it. When the scope arrived, it had minor, yet conclusive indications of having been a salesman's sample (writing on the tube in pencil, faint ring marks, etc).
I called CST and talked to Richard and explained it to him. I told him that if I was buying a heavily discounted scope, that would be one thing, but for a full boat priced Mercedes or Porsche equivalent, I was not warm to the idea of potentially inheriting someone else's problems.

He asked that I be patient and he would talk to Mike and Mike would call me back within the hour. Mike called 25 minutes later. We discussed it briefly and he basically said "check your e-mail, you'll be receiving a prepaid shipping label to return it to us (CST) within an hour". 30 minutes (or so) later, I was printing out the shipping label and boxing up the "old" one (was only able to fondle it for an hour or so) and sent it back.

They (CST) received it, inspected it and said "yep, it's been used, how do you want to proceed ?". I said I still wanted a new one. They didn't have any in stock, but there was a shipment on the way. They didn't bump anyone else to put me at the top of the list (which is completely understandable/acceptable), but said that not all of the shipment was sold, so I would get one out of that shipment (which is what ultimately happened, to my satisfaction).

The point is that when someone spends upwards of $3,000.00 for anything, much less a scope, there is a different level of service expected by the consumer. Did CST meet my expectations ? No. They vastly exceeded them. Keep in mind, CST probably had to "eat" some of the profit from an otherwise "clean sale" and had to put it into their demo pool.....by no fault of their own. They took a hit and I took a little in terms of delivery. Fair is fair. CST are obviously in this for the long haul. Short term thinking doesn't work here. CST are investing in their products, their business and most importantly, their customers. They get it.

From my perspective, (assuming everything that has been written previously is accurate), if I were the consumer I would have been quite disappointed in Nightforce and their policy. "Policies" are written by humans, they are not spit out of a computer randomly. Someone, somewhere, made the decision to enforce their warranty/non-warranty policy in that fashion. That fashion is not complimentary to the manner/mindset to which I buy high ticket items.

Additionally, I'm puzzled about how a scope that can have such a "stellar reputation" for being "rugged" can "just break", as described (again, assuming the description is accurate). I'm not interested in getting in a pissing match with anyone over this. There are obviously a lot of differing opinions on this subject and that's great. I don't discount anyone else's opinions any more than I think my opinion should take precedent over what anyone else thinks.

Me ? I simply vote with my wallet......Thanks CST for great C/S ;):):cool:

I appreciate your patience working with us @Threadcutter308 :cool:

I have a 7x35 and I love it, fortunately it runs like a champ.

That being said, I have dealt with NF customer service in the past and I must say they do come off rather.........I guess you could say with a less than warm demeanor. They dont sound very excited to speak with you about problems and are very curt.

That being said, being in a customer service related world myself I know where that comes from. No matter how hard you try, internally you get sick of peoples bullshit. Sometimes it becomes hard to keep a smile on and plug through peoples problems and get them resolved for them. Reading threads like this and its no wonder why.

With that being said, despite the less than enthusiastic personalities I have dealt with they have always resolved the issue. In the end thats really all I can ask for.

Looking at this another way, Nightforce has a customer who has bought thousands of dollars of equipment from them when he could have bought many more lesser priced scopes from other manufacturers for the same money. They should be bending over backward to maintain that customer relationship.

A loaner scope or new replacement shipped over night (if available) would be great customer service, maintain the relationship and wouldn't really cost the company very much.

When a company selling a product that expensive has enough customers that they don't have to worry about maintaining customer relationships, their product better be outstanding or else that customer will spend their money somewhere else next time.

I've looked through a couple of the NXS scopes and while I like the features and the scopes are supposed to be incredibly durable, the glass didn't seem that much better than my Nitrex TR2 (Weaver Super Slam clone) which is also a LOW scope like Nightforce but much less expensive.

I've never wanted the Nightforce durability enough to spend the money. I'm not sure I ever would have but this story makes it less likely.

If I spend $3,000, I want the reach around.

Leupold used to make the VX-7 line of scopes. "Best hunting scopes ever made", they said, and they offered an overnighted replacement, anywhere in the world, in case yours broke on a hunt. Nice idea, but I'll take a backup scope everyday, rather then wait for the mail. Best case, scope breaks in the morning, you call and they ship it out that day. It arrives the next day (unlikely when in Africa), and you get it mounted and zero'd. Best case. Lots of room for delay and error. No thanks.

I still bought a VX-7 though, since at the time it was a really nice option for what I wanted. Still have it, and it still works great.

BTW, that program went away pretty quick. Wonder why, lol?

I am a NF fan, and I have had NF scopes that needed to go back. They owned up to the known problem in two cases, and didn't ridicule me for screwing up the other case (which was totally my fault).

Each time, the scope was back in my hands in less then two weeks. Could have been faster if I paid for expedited shipping, but I wasn't in a particular rush.

BTW, those issues I had are three issues, out of over 15 NF scopes I've had, and many more I've had oversight on but didn't own.

Does it suck for the OP? Sure. Is he unhappy with how NF is handling it? Obviously. Are they doing anything wrong at all? No.

Just like you look at the specs on a scope before buying it, you might want to look at the return policy before buying. If you are not happy with the company policy, don't buy the scope.

All man made items can fail. NF fails less in my experience then other scopes. I'm paying for the odds of it working, just as much as the features. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

Reactions: j-huskey
Amazon has a 30 day return policy and this scope is 9 months old. Your comparison is flawed.

Wasn't trying to make a direct comparison to amazon's return policy. I was just using it as an example of purchasing something far cheaper, and of far less quality than NF, and not having to pay shipping. if you'd like I can compare it to vortex instead. The point of it was to state that for the price you pay for NF, and for the quality that they are known for, you should not have to pay to ship it to them when a defect occurs. Especially if it's not the result of abuse of the product.

Like I said earlier, obviously everyone has different expectations; reasonable or not. Look what Kelly McMillan is going through right now because of one Jackass's expectations of their military discount. Exceptional customer service always stands out, but I'm just tickled when people/companies do what they say they will.

Nightforce certainly could have gone the extra mile for this customer. Then they establish the norm and others expect it too.....because why? Everyone gets on the internet and and runs their suck! I think MuleyCrazy should go join Bryan Smith and boycott McMillan!

Reactions: Cjl2010
Wasn't trying to make a direct comparison to amazon's return policy. I was just using it as an example of purchasing something far cheaper, and of far less quality than NF, and not having to pay shipping. if you'd like I can compare it to vortex instead. The point of it was to state that for the price you pay for NF, and for the quality that they are known for, you should not have to pay to ship it to them when a defect occurs. Especially if it's not the result of abuse of the product.
The problem with that is that so many customers send their "broken" scopes in with nothing wrong with them.
I actually sent a scope back once, I should have called first. I had tightened the scope rings too much and it was binding the erector tube.
Usually, a malfunctioning scope is likely rings or bases.
Why should a company pay to ship a functioning scope?
I understand, in this instance, there was a mechanical failure.
maybe they should amend their policy to reflect a consult with a technician first.

Did they tell you 4 weeks over the phone or by email? I sent one back for a broken zero stop and they had mine back to me good as new the next week. I was very impressed with them. I called them though and they were very professional and polite. The didnt even have to help me as it was a used scope I purchased second hand, but they fixed it regardless for free.

Still shocked to hear 4 weeks after my wonder experience with them.

Did they tell you 4 weeks over the phone or by email? I sent one back for a broken zero stop and they had mine back to me good as new the next week. I was very impressed with them. I called them though and they were very professional and polite. The didnt even have to help me as it was a used scope I purchased second hand, but they fixed it regardless for free.

So far, everyone who’s posted a repair story has been well under the three weeks quoted in their poilcy. Mine was in and out the same day...

Did they tell you .....

Ben, Ben, Ben.....
I'd rather hear exactly how long it took OP to get it back, rather than what "it might have been".... b4 he boxed it up and sent it back....
U know better than to be shocked by what you read on the internet....
?????????

Reactions: SLG
Suppose he was LE or military. Now do you’re opinions change? Do we quit roasting him , and have his back? This scope should not have broke . Plenty of people using these scopes, with job titles requireing them to point it at another person . Should the thing break ? What a joke .

There's this thing called an armory. It's a magical place that has all sorts of guns and optics and even optics attached to guns, in it.

Sounds like under promise and over deliver is their standard. That sounds better than saying it will only take a couple days and not hearing anything for weeks.

Reactions: SLG
There's this thing called an armory. It's a magical place that has all sorts of guns and optics and even optics attached to guns, in it.

I like how he acts like nothing has ever failed for the military or LE. Unfortunately every thing can fail and it's usually not at your convenience.

Stop with your imaginary strawman argument. This scope was not purchased through a government contract or LE procurement order. It was a commmercial sale for sporting purposes. It is being covered within the written return policy which the customer agreed upon when he chose to purchase the item. Stop trying to inject some miss placed emotion by creating an argument point based on a fictitious situation which is not relevant to this incident.
You’re correct , Jesus h Christ could not of spoke it better .

The point is that when someone spends upwards of $3,000.00 for anything, much less a scope, there is a different level of service expected by the consumer. Did CST meet my expectations ? No. They vastly exceeded them. Keep in mind, CST probably had to "eat" some of the profit from an otherwise "clean sale" and had to put it into their demo pool.....by no fault of their own. They took a hit and I took a little in terms of delivery. Fair is fair. CST are obviously in this for the long haul. Short term thinking doesn't work here. CST are investing in their products, their business and most importantly, their customers. They get it.

I majored in "Quality Management" in college. I have to slightly disagree on one point. you said "when someone spends upwards of $3,000.00 for anything, much less a scope, there is a different level of service expected".

Should the guy that can only afford a $500 scope expect "less" customer service than the guy that can afford a $3000 scope? Should the guy the bought a $500 scope be put on hold so they can deal with the guy that bought the $3000 scope?

I think you can see my point. Every customer deserves the same level of customer service as the next guy. When a company treats everyone as equals then you can say "they get it"....and I'm in no way saying CST doesn't do this, I have no doubts they do as I have only read good things about them on this site.

409.gif

OK, but while my wife and I have three vehicles the third is a toy not a necessity.

Some people are in a situation where they absolutely need to get to work on time or they will lose their job, house, and the rest. The world is cruel and nobody cares about your problems. So it’s a good idea to have a backup plan.

My take is, Nightforce has gotten SO popular the last 8 years, they have allot more QC errors thus busier service dept. I used the once an long time ago to get a spec of "something" off the inside of my 7-32 NXS, quick, personal turnaround.

NOW, there allot more scope companies catering to the new PRS crowd and coming up with new techknowogy

I have seen a TON of ATACR's for sale latley.........hummmmmm

Now Benelli's customer service???? a whole nuther horse to beat on.......:eek:

Some people are in a situation where they absolutely need to get to work on time or they will lose their job, house, and the rest. The world is cruel and nobody cares about your problems. So it’s a good idea to have a backup plan.

Main stream late model cars meet this objective.

Bambi loves Nightforce
Main stream late model cars meet this objective.

No they don’t. I drive mainstream fleet vehicles with 0 to 100000 miles on the odometer and they do break down, especially once off warranty. Almost like is scheduled.

I talked to them 5 times yesterday I know they would remember,

5 times, huh? Can't imagine why they don't want to put you to the front of the line. After all your scope is way more important than everyone else's.

Ben, Ben, Ben.....
I'd rather hear exactly how long it took OP to get it back, rather than what "it might have been".... b4 he boxed it up and sent it back....
U know better than to be shocked by what you read on the internet....
?????????

I was genuinely curious because of it is indeed 4 weeks now is it because there are a lot more scopes going back or was it a typical generic corporate email response that does not really dictate what the actual lead time is. I was very impressed with how they treated me, but it was a 2 or so years ago.

.....a typical generic corporate response that does not really dictate what the actual lead time is. ....I

This is the case....
I suppose I am lucky, I have beat a couple pretty bad on the 50 and 375, and the atacr on the 50 now is still working like new....
But, I do treat them real nice when adjusting zero stops and things, no grab and grunt...
So far, the only sick zero stop to cross my grubby paws was because of the former owners ham hand...
Back in 10 days.

NF is not swamped with returns and as usual, there is more to this story than is posted here.

The real question is, did the op send the scope back? when? Lets see when it comes back to him.

OP- I’m guessing you’re the kid who’s dad took your fundraising efforts to his work so you didn’t have to go knocking on doors. Lol.

Kinda sucks when companies follow their own policies you knowingly signed up for. Have fun with that POS vortex.

Nah, paying for shipping is bullshit for warranty work.

I took my rifle (cased) to work one day so I could hit the range on the way home. It sat in my truck in that case all throughout the workday and it unexpectedly hit about 101 or 102 (not common in late March) and when I got the range I had a blurry reticle and struggled to shoot the whole time. I thought I got oil on the eyepiece because the heat also thinned out the oil and it was leaking everywhere when I got it out of the case. Every time I pulled the trigger oil came out of every seam of the gun.

When I got it home I realized it was nothing on the outside of the scope. When I backed out from 20x around 12x or so I could start seeing little black dots around the "oil spots". Whatever it was, it was IN the scope.

I emailed Jerry at S&B and he had me a return label emailed within 15 minutes. My scope was gone for less than a week and I paid nothing even though it was my fault. The extreme temperature also made some kind of internal oil or grease run.

When scope manufacturers say 130 degrees max temps, they mean it. If it is 100 outside it can get up to 160 in a car if it is in direct sunlight (like mine was) and now the only rifles I leave in my vehicles in the summer months sport iron sights. Even simpler optics like Aimpoints that may survive, the batteries won't like it.

I have never in my life gotten a loaner car from a dealer during a repair, so if I have a major failure on my car and can not afford that interruption, YES, i’ll need two cars. Some dealers don’t offer loaners, or they they run out occasionally. I would not expect them to have an infinite pool of loaners, and I would not expect them to go into new stock and throw me the keys just because I make a scene about it. If their policy stated that there was a guarantee of a loaner, then I’d expect a loaner, this is very simple. Cars fail, scopes fail, everything fails.

What matters is that company sticks to the polices and procedures it’s set forth for these matters. You (and the OP) thinking Nightforce’s’ policy should be different is completely irrelevant.

I have owned Honda's and Mazda's and dealers here have always had loaner cars available when car has to be in the shop over a day. I did have run out of loaners and they sent me to Avis to get one I wanted and they would reimburse me. FYI, I have never owned a NF, just a Vortex Razor Gen 2 and Vortex has been great.

Reactions: Holliday
Not everyone can be Vortex I guess..

I just got back a Vortex Razor 5-20x50 from Vortex. It was an older model with the 5 mil turrets. I had inquired about the cost to update it to the current 10 mil turrets and they told me just send it in and they would update it. No charge. They upgraded the turrets to the 10 mil turrets and had it back to me in a little over a week.

I have owned Honda's and Mazda's and dealers here have always had loaner cars available when car has to be in the shop over a day. I did have run out of loaners and they sent me to Avis to get one I wanted and they would reimburse me. FYI, I have never owned a NF, just a Vortex Razor Gen 2 and Vortex has been great.

You’re missing the point. What you should be asking yourself, is whether or not you’d turn to the internet to get a bunch of strangers to lobby on your behalf had you not received the loaner car?

Last edited:
Reactions: djarecke
Some of you guys are pretty stupid. Don't like the guy posting about a problem so the answer is to run him off and then he never comes back to let us know if the issue was resolved and how it was resolved.

It would be nice if they reimbursed shipping costs personally I'm not of the opinion that I should have to pay to ship a possibly defective item. I'm fine with NF quoting him a 4 week turn around however. How is NF supposed to quote an accurate turn around time before they've recieved the scope and diagnosed the problem when they don't even know what's wrong with it yet.

Reactions: lennyo3034
My take is, Nightforce has gotten SO popular the last 8 years, they have allot more QC errors thus busier service dept. I used the once an long time ago to get a spec of "something" off the inside of my 7-32 NXS, quick, personal turnaround.

NOW, there allot more scope companies catering to the new PRS crowd and coming up with new techknowogy

I have seen a TON of ATACR's for sale latley.........hummmmmm

Now Benelli's customer service???? a whole nuther horse to beat on.......:eek:

Hahah, Beretta... What a joke to deal with. They are single handedly why I don't like owning TRG'S lol. It took some serious explaining to about three guys at Beretta service to let me send my Trg trigger in and not the whole rifle. They did send a new one though free of charge. Thankfully Brownelles handles other spare parts for the Sako's and KRG is going to have a replacement trigger in the future so that's cool.

Back to the task at hand..

Certainly not trying to come off as a jerk, Hope your clutch don't fail when you need it, Wouldn't wish that on any friend. I guess I'm guilty of expecting it not to fail.

Damn sorry to hear about this. I hope your hunting trip here in Wyoming is a success, in spite of this fiasco........Best of luck brother.

A friend just sent back two pair of Costa Del Mar sunglasses. Costa's have a limited lifetime warranty to cover defects in workmanship and materials-one that reads much the same as Nightforce's. One of his pair was over 10 years old and the other less than a year. Costa charges a processing fee which covers return S&H back to the customer. They don't issue call tags and state that the buyer is responsible for shipping back to Costa.
I have two pairs of Costa's that need repair; both about a year old. I was happy to pay the fee for return shipping and foot the bill to ship them back after hearing of his experience.
The crux is, that a company's level of customer service is often what sets them apart from their competition and its also very much individual perception.
I thought Costa's process was excellent; very simple and easy. I look forward to getting my repaired glasses back as they were some of my favorites.
When I had to deal with NF on my grease splattered lens issue, their process was painless. Cost me a few dollars to have it sent in but in 2 weeks, scope returned good as new. I LOVE THAT SCOPE! I think NF would set better expectations if they put the shipping expectation in their warranty verbiage as it might alleviate some whining or put some teeth to their policy.
I learned long ago that you can't make everyone happy.....you can only try.
I'd be willing to bet NF thinks the same way and offers fair and consistent treatment to all of their customers. Our problem lies more with society as a whole as folks are being bred with outlandish expectations and when their demands and desires are not met, however petty, their platform to get their most often times embellished message/story out.......is the internet (yes, like this thread). Im sure companies would love to get online sometimes and share the other side of the story, but they are smart enough to know NOT to commit suicide and combat the type of idiocy present on the almighty interwebs.

Some of you guys are pretty stupid. Don't like the guy posting about a problem so the answer is to run him off and then he never comes back to let us know if the issue was resolved and how it was resolved.

It would be nice if they reimbursed shipping costs personally I'm not of the opinion that I should have to pay to ship a possibly defective item. I'm fine with NF quoting him a 4 week turn around however. How is NF supposed to quote an accurate turn around time before they've recieved the scope and diagnosed the problem when they don't even know what's wrong with it yet.

I think the aversion and "run off" effect is more related to frustration with the impulse to post a ranting gripe thread before developing the situation.

I also wonder if there is not more to this. I also returned a faulty NF in the last two months and was issued a paid RMA for return shipping for a process, that, including shipping both ways, did not take two weeks.

I think the aversion and "run off" effect is more related to frustration with the impulse to post a ranting gripe thread before developing the situation.

I also wonder if there is not more to this. I also returned a faulty NF in the last two months and was issued a paid RMA for return shipping for a process, that, including shipping both ways, did not take two weeks.

Well maybe I should apologise for being brash there when he started asking that others call on his behalf to pressure NF into some special treatment how can I blame them but still they do it everytime anyway.

Nah, paying for shipping is bullshit for warranty work.

I took my rifle (cased) to work one day so I could hit the range on the way home. It sat in my truck in that case all throughout the workday and it unexpectedly hit about 101 or 102 (not common in late March) and when I got the range I had a blurry reticle and struggled to shoot the whole time. I thought I got oil on the eyepiece because the heat also thinned out the oil and it was leaking everywhere when I got it out of the case. Every time I pulled the trigger oil came out of every seam of the gun.

When I got it home I realized it was nothing on the outside of the scope. When I backed out from 20x around 12x or so I could start seeing little black dots around the "oil spots". Whatever it was, it was IN the scope.

I emailed Jerry at S&B and he had me a return label emailed within 15 minutes. My scope was gone for less than a week and I paid nothing even though it was my fault. The extreme temperature also made some kind of internal oil or grease run.

When scope manufacturers say 130 degrees max temps, they mean it. If it is 100 outside it can get up to 160 in a car if it is in direct sunlight (like mine was) and now the only rifles I leave in my vehicles in the summer months sport iron sights. Even simpler optics like Aimpoints that may survive, the batteries won't like it.
Hmmm the most reliable scopes really are NF. I have a 2.5-10 that lives in vehicles and never had oil run. Or zero stop issues.
Nightforce is the best scope. By far.
image.jpg