• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Nightforce direct mount

Jason Wells

Private
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2010
Staunton VA
Well, I'm just about settled on a NF 3.5 X 15 X 50 for my Remy model 700, i've got a local dealer who'll cut me a good price on one and I like the scope well. Since I never intend on moving this scope once on the rifle I am leaning heavily toward a unimount style mount such as the Nightforce direct mount. This is an aluminum mount, I would prefer steel but most of the unimounts I have found are aluminum. Thoughts on unimount vs rings and rails? Aluminum vs steel?

Re: Nightforce direct mount

I prefer alloy rings and steel base. The Direct Mounts are nice but I like have the base and rings being on their own.

Mike @ CST

If you're not going to move the scope from rifle to rifle, I can't see any benefit to a seperate rail/rings. Quality aluminum rails and rings will outlast you. Hell, think of how many aluminum M16/M4s are out there getting the shit beat out of them in combat and their rails seem to hold up fine.

Can you elaborate for this newbie? What are some of the advantages of having the rings separate from the bases?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jason Wells</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can you elaborate for this newbie? What are some of the advantages of having the rings separate from the bases?</div></div>

Some advantages would be that you can move the rings around on the rail for different positioning, such as farther forward or back, or closer together or farther apart. It all depends on the shooters preference and needs go for position and comfort.

Another advantage is that there are more choices available for ring height selection and rails with more choices of various degrees of built in MOA cant. O, 15, 20, 30, etc..

NF makes a direct mount and a unimount, which are two different pieces of equipment.

The direct mount is only designed for the Rem 700 action. The units base is specifically designed for the Rem 700 and it's clones only. It is a one piece/ 2 ring integral mount that comes in 2 heights in both long and short action. 20MOA

The unimount is also a one piece/ two ring integral mount designed to be mounted on a picatinny rail. It also comes in two heights, and can be mounted on any weapon that incorporates a picatinny rail. It also is 20MOA

Here are some pics of a NightForce Direct Mount 1.0" Height installed on
a Rem 700 VS in .308 caliber. Varmint bbl contour. Defensive Edge Ring Cap Level/Cosine Indicator Mount also installed. The scope pictured in the mount is a NF NXS 5.5-22x56.

I like the direct mount, as the mount is clean and snag free. It is very solid, and creates an excellent platform for your scope. The solution to mount an ACI/ and COSINE Indicator is found by utilizing the Ring cap mount pictured. The cost factor is basically the same as quality rings and base, so price is a non-issue. I have rifles with the Direct mount and some with base/ rings combo, and I like both equally well.

Using a NF unimount on a Rem 700 would invariably place the scope higher up off the action, since a base is first required before mounting. In my opinion, a unimount would not be a good candidate for use on a Rem 700, because of the final scope height when mounted.
nfdirect3.jpg

nfdirect2.jpg

Note that even using NF's lowest height direct mount(1.0") with their largest scope objective(56MM), there is still plenty of room between the scope and the varmint contour bbl.
nfdirect4.jpg

Reactions: BAKPAKR

No problem Jason, and I should add that the NF Unimount is a fantastic mounnt as well. I have a couple of them on AR15 platform rifles, and they perform excellently..

Best Regards in your build..