• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x50 - Initial Thoughts

I doubt "too thick" is in the works. I believe it will be the thickness of the SCR in the XTRII. That reticle illuminates well. I never heard anyone call it either too thick or too thin.

Do you know what the actual subtensions of the SCR and SCR2 are in both the XTR3 models?

There are pictures on the Burris website but they are a bit of mess with some referencing the XTR 2 and others the XTR3.

Here's the SCR2 page.

And here's the SCR.

Both in Mil.. . Its an awfully subtle distinction. Most of the main lines are .03" thickness on the SCR2. And .035 on the SCR. And as mentioned, I've never heard anyone complain about the line being too thick or thin on the SCR. I guess that .005 is just enough to make it more versatile.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chasing3
Here's the SCR2 page.

And here's the SCR.

Both in Mil.. . Its an awfully subtle distinction. Most of the main lines are .03" thickness on the SCR2. And .035 on the SCR. And as mentioned, I've never heard anyone complain about the line being too thick or thin on the SCR. I guess that .005 is just enough to make it more versatile.

The SCR page doesn't list either of the XTR3 models. Are they both models the same subtensions as the 4-20/5-25?

It was said in a previous thread that the SCR2 reticle is slightly thicker in the 3.3-18 model but the SCR2 page only shows the one drawing.

The SCR page doesn't list either of the XTR3 models. Are they both models the same subtensions as the 4-20/5-25?

It was said in a previous thread that the SCR2 reticle is slightly thicker in the 3.3-18 model but the SCR2 page only shows the one drawing.

To the best of my knowledge the dimensions of the SCR is the same in both the XTR2 and the XTR3. If I were buying an XTR3 to perform as a crossover or hunting scope, I would buy it in the SCR. I dont need a grid reticle for hunting and it has good visibility. I have the SCR in a couple of XTR2s that I have hunted with, its a very good reticle for it.

And I'm not so sure the 18x is scaled to magnification. I do believe they are the same as far as reticle thickness

I will never buy a Burris for the simple fact you are a shill. I hope lowlight makes you buy a vendor account for the amount of shilling you do for Burris. You dont miss a beat to plug almost every post you make.

Who is shooting their Nightforce NX8's in NRL22? How has the scope been when shooting off of barricades and other positions?

You stopped making sense to everyone around these parts a few posts back...

About as much sense as buying a Burris over much more superior scopes that can be had at the same or less cost.

My uncle bought a eliminator for god who knows what reason other than shits and giggles, sold it and bought a vortex. Biggest piece of shit scope ever he said.

Who is shooting their Nightforce NX8's in NRL22? How has the scope been when shooting off of barricades and other positions?

NX8 4-32x50 Mil-C (its illuminated too) focuses unbelievably close. I've read this thread and have not noticed any of the quibbles others may or may not have had with the NX8 2.5-20 Tank traps, barrels, ladders concrete blocks no problems. Great glass!

Reactions: gamewarden
About as much sense as buying a Burris over much more superior scopes that can be had at the same or less cost.

My uncle bought a eliminator for god who knows what reason other than shits and giggles, sold it and bought a vortex. Biggest piece of shit scope ever he said.

Like I said, stop taking this so personal. You obviously know nothing about Burris optics, regardless of some obscure buddy analogy about one bad scope. You obviously haven't owned one, or seen an XTR3. Let alone compared it to a comparably priced optic. You have zero experience with Burris, you're just getting all bunjed up over nothing.

Last edited:

I probably shouldn’t encourage you based on the nature of your previous posts but I’m curious - With regard to the XTR III - name the scope that is “much more superior” that can be had for “same or less cost”.

Reactions: Birddog6424
I probably shouldn’t encourage you based on the nature of your previous posts but I’m curious - With regard to the XTR III - name the scope that is “much more superior” that can be had for “same or less cost”.

$1685 for my shiny new NX8s or a Vortex G2 can be had for $1700. Both of which have a better resale value aswell.

Dont be mad I shit on a constant burris shill or probably your buddy.

Last edited:
Like I said, stop taking this so personal. You obviously know nothing about Burris optics, regardless of some obscure buddy analogy about one bad scope. You obviously haven't owned one, or seen an XTR3. Let alone compared it to a comparably priced optic. You have zero experience with Burris, you're just getting all bunjed up over nothing.

Maybe you should add to the forum more other than just shill for Burris. That is my issue here. You add nothing to any conversation other than preach Burris considering you are also sponsored by them.

$1685 for my shiny new NX8s or a Vortex G2 can be had for $1700. Both of which have a better resale value aswell.

Dont be mad I shit on a constant burris shill.

Not mad, but if you think and NX8 2.5-20 is close to the XTR III 3.3-18 with regard to optical/mechanical quality well I might say you’re either delusional or extremely biased. XTR III has better turrets (more tactile, but this personal preference) and better glass (edge to edge sharpness). I do like the illumination and Mil-XT reticle on the NF but outside of that the finickyness of the parallax and shallow DOF along with the other issues puts the NF NX8 Into a lower category for me. The Razor G2 is like a Clydesdale compared to a quarterhorse, it’s a 3lb beast that gets the job done and done well but not everyone wants a 3lb beast on their rifle.

Maybe you should add to the forum more other than just shill for Burris. That is my issue here. You add nothing to any conversation other than preach Burris considering you are also sponsored by them.
Birddog has been around this forum for a very long time, yes he’s sponsored by Burris and is often promoting their products but he is very active in helping the community, you apparently haven’t been around long enough to know this and I do understand some of your frustration but there’s a better way to go about getting your point across than name calling.

Not mad, but if you think and NX8 2.5-20 is close to the XTR III 3.3-18 with regard to optical/mechanical quality well I might say you’re either delusional or extremely biased. XTR III has better turrets (more tactile, but this personal preference) and better glass (edge to edge sharpness). I do like the illumination and Mil-XT reticle on the NF but outside of that the finickyness of the parallax and shallow DOF along with the other issues puts the NF NX8 Into a lower category for me. The Razor G2 is like a Clydesdale compared to a quarterhorse, it’s a 3lb beast that gets the job done and done well but not everyone wants a 3lb beast on their rifle.

Maybe you are biased as well.

Lemme know how easy it is to get a NX8, lead times are 2-4 months. You can buy a burris now. Money talks and nobody wants a burris. Not to mention you can get a Leupold Mark 5 as well for the same price sometimes. Your biased completely for burris. In addition to the vendors mentioned, there are many more options besides those. You hold the Burris the best of the best. Ill take a Leupold or NF before a Burris that I will have to send in to get fixed once a year and deal with shit CS from what i have gathered through the years . They are tanks and Burris has been hit or miss on quality and nobody wants to waste their money on scopes or vendors who have not proven their company or scope.

Apparently, you dont get my drift either while still preaching the godsend of burris. You and birdshit are burris salesman more than users.

Last edited:

Thats terribly inaccurate.. I post quite a bit on this forum that has nothing to do with Burris optics. I compete in PRS and 3 Gun, and post in the bolt rifle and semi-auto section all the time. I reload for a bunch of different calibers, and post a lot in the reloaders section.

I'm an MD of a national PRS match sponsored by Burris Optics (had to toss that in there because I'm a schill ;) ) and was the Match Director this year for the Rocky Mountain NW PRS Regional Series championship match, so I also post regularly in the competitive sections. Honestly, I'm all over the place.

I post here about scopes. This is the scope section, and I recommend Burris where I think appropriate. At times, ad nauseum. If i don't think it appropriate, I dont say anything. I dont interject on scopes I have no experience with. Many long time members are used to me, realize by now I'm harmless, and apply appropriate value to my posts knowing im a sponsored shooter.

Its pretty easy to just live and let live around here. For most people. You don't seem to manage it. Quite frankly, you've reached a point where you simply talking out of your ass and have no firsthand experience whatsoever. You've taken it upon yourself to feel insulted that people far more experienced and knowledgeable than yourself dare to malign your beloved brand. Your posts have descended into the idiotic. So you do you..

Last edited:
Thats terribly inaccurate.. I post quite a bit on this forum that has nothing to do with Burris optics. I compete in PRS and 3 Gun, and post in the bolt rifle and semi-auto section all the time. I reload for a bunch of different calibers, and post a lot in the reloaders section.

I'm an MD of a national PRS match sponsored by Burris Optics (had to toss that in there because I'm a schill ;) ) and was the Match Director this year for the Rocky Mountain NW PRS Regional Series championship match, so I also post regularly in the competitive sections. Honestly, I'm all over the place.

I post here about scopes. This is the scope section, and I recommend Burris where I think appropriate. At times, ad nauseum. If i don't think it appropriate, I dont say anything. I dont interject on scopes I have no experience with. Many long time members are used to me, realize by now I'm harmless, and apply appropriate value to my posts knowing im a sponsored shooter.

Its pretty easy to just live and let live around here. For most people. You don't seem to manage it. Quite frankly, you've reached a point where you simply talking out of your ass and have no firsthand experience whatsoever. You've taken it upon yourself to feel insulted that people far more experienced and knowledgeable than yourself dare to malign your beloved brand. Your posts have descended into the idiotic. So you do you..

I dont have a beloved brand, but you sure do. Quite a bad salesman too.

What one is the female in yours relationship. Do you scream Burris at the end?

I bought the NX8 4x32 for my AR platform 6.5CM, looking forward to trying it out. I will only be shooting out to 800-1000yds max so hopefully it will be a good match for my rifle.

I bought the NX8 4x32 for my AR platform 6.5CM, looking forward to trying it out. I will only be shooting out to 800-1000yds max so hopefully it will be a good match for my rifle.
The NX8 4-32 is a longer scope and doesn't appear to suffer from some of the shortcomings of the 2.5-20, I've heard good things about the 4-32 but do not have personal experience. Let us know your thoughts once you get it and have some time to set it up.

I bought a xtr ii 5-25 with the SCR a couple of years ago for the shits and giggles just because i like trying optics out. I was unimpressed with the glass as it was simular to the PST gen 1 line. But i really liked the reticle. I prefer a thicker reticle and tend to run low mag for field of view. My biggest complaint was in cold weather the turrets etc. Would all but seize and it was difficult to dial in cold weather. I typical shoot more in the winter as its off season so i sold it. I should note the vortex are almost as bad on the mag ring and parallax but you can still dial. I mostly use IOR now as it fits what i like best and works well in the cold. I have a Minox on the way we shall see how it fares.
The Burris XTR iii interests me because of the large field of view. has anyone used it in the cold and how are the controls? I realize that all scopes are going to be affected by cold just some more then others.

I just picked up a NX8 4-32x50 and it appears that the 2.5-20x50 is very similar. I was underwhelmed at first like the op but the major caveats are the eye box and turrets imo, but these small trade offs pay off for it in size, minimum focus distance, glass, zero stop design and electronics. It just depends on what you’re looking for and need in a scope. I haven’t tried the ATACR 7-35 and that’s next on my list.

Anyone have other great recommendations for a scope with a minimum parallax of <15 yards or less? This is my main feature requirement at the moment.

The NX8 4-32 is a longer scope and doesn't appear to suffer from some of the shortcomings of the 2.5-20, I've heard good things about the 4-32 but do not have personal experience. Let us know your thoughts once you get it and have some time to set it up.

I have the 4-32 and the eye box, turrets and parallax are not 10/10 but those are my only gripes. Makes sense considering it’s an 8x erector. Love the glass though. My first day with it I thought I was going to sell it but after using it more it’s a keeper.

appreciate the heads up! I’ll check them out.
Sure thing. Also, another came to mind in the under $2k market, I know literally nothing about them as they are newcomers and saw @koshkin had a post on his locals site recently, the company is Element and the scope is the Titan 5-25x56 and the specs say 15y minimum focus. Again, I know nothing about this scope other than it seems to be decent for the price, I'm not sure what budget you're in but that might be an option.

You mention with your NX8 that turrets and parallax are not 10/10, if you're looking for something along the lines of finding 10/10 especially for parallax, I would steer clear of 8x magnification FFP optics. The uber expensive Hensoldt 3.5-26x56 and Schmidt 3-27 (can focus to 10y) scopes are some of the few high magnification scopes that have figured out how to make a forgiving parallax, but that comes at a cost - quite literally as these are some of the most expensive scopes on the market. I think the March are a little more forgiving than the NX8 and I am just wrapping up some preliminary testing on a pre-production March 4.5-28x52 that is definitely more forgiving than previous March 8x models when it comes to parallax. Overall I think the March 4.5-28 will stir the pot a bit and offers an excellent design for dynamic PRS/NRL style events.

If you want one of the best close focusing scopes with regard to turrets, parallax, IQ then take a look at the scope that "started it all" - the Schmidt & Bender 5-25x56, it focusses down to 10 yards, has great turrets, forgiving parallax and outstanding IQ. About the only complaint on this scope is that it tunnels from around 5-7x and the reticle options aren't that great (though getting better with MSR2, GR2ID, and LRR-Mil if you like extremely thin reticles). But because these scopes have been around for a while you can often find some pretty good deals on them.

Reactions: K3RRY
Sure thing. Also, another came to mind in the under $2k market, I know literally nothing about them as they are newcomers and saw @koshkin had a post on his locals site recently, the company is Element and the scope is the Titan 5-25x56 and the specs say 15y minimum focus. Again, I know nothing about this scope other than it seems to be decent for the price, I'm not sure what budget you're in but that might be an option.

You mention with your NX8 that turrets and parallax are not 10/10, if you're looking for something along the lines of finding 10/10 especially for parallax, I would steer clear of 8x magnification FFP optics. The uber expensive Hensoldt 3.5-26x56 and Schmidt 3-27 (can focus to 10y) scopes are some of the few high magnification scopes that have figured out how to make a forgiving parallax, but that comes at a cost - quite literally as these are some of the most expensive scopes on the market. I think the March are a little more forgiving than the NX8 and I am just wrapping up some preliminary testing on a pre-production March 4.5-28x52 that is definitely more forgiving than previous March 8x models when it comes to parallax. Overall I think the March 4.5-28 will stir the pot a bit and offers an excellent design for dynamic PRS/NRL style events.

If you want one of the best close focusing scopes with regard to turrets, parallax, IQ then take a look at the scope that "started it all" - the Schmidt & Bender 5-25x56, it focusses down to 10 yards, has great turrets, forgiving parallax and outstanding IQ. About the only complaint on this scope is that it tunnels from around 5-7x and the reticle options aren't that great (though getting better with MSR2, GR2ID, and LRR-Mil if you like extremely thin reticles). But because these scopes have been around for a while you can often find some pretty good deals on them.

Damn, that’s awesome info. I really appreciate this.

Regarding the Element Titan I went through two of them very recently and both had issues so I’m staying clear of them. However, haven’t tried their Nexus from Japan.

Yes, you’re right about 8x.

I’ll check out your recommendations. Thanks for the suggestions. Thumbs up man!

Reactions: Glassaholic
My pleasure, also good to know about the Element Titan, I really knew nothing about them but sounds like something to watch from the sidelines for now, a lot of these startups are hit and miss. We are always looking for the scopes that punch above their weight class, but in the optics world the rule "you get what you pay for" almost always rules the day. Scope companies who say their $500 scope compares with other manufacturer's $2000 scope are usually marketing hype. This is one of the reasons I enjoy the Hide so much, a lot of good real world experience (sure there's some bad blood but there always is, this is the internet after all ;))

Reactions: K3RRY and Gleedus
I bought a xtr ii 5-25 with the SCR a couple of years ago for the shits and giggles just because i like trying optics out. I was unimpressed with the glass as it was simular to the PST gen 1 line. But i really liked the reticle. I prefer a thicker reticle and tend to run low mag for field of view. My biggest complaint was in cold weather the turrets etc. Would all but seize and it was difficult to dial in cold weather. I typical shoot more in the winter as its off season so i sold it. I should note the vortex are almost as bad on the mag ring and parallax but you can still dial. I mostly use IOR now as it fits what i like best and works well in the cold. I have a Minox on the way we shall see how it fares.
The Burris XTR iii interests me because of the large field of view. has anyone used it in the cold and how are the controls? I realize that all scopes are going to be affected by cold just some more then others.

I shot all winter with a 30x XTR3. As well as hunting through November and December. I didnt have any cold weather issues.

For that matter I never had any issues with multitudes of XTR2s for the last five years or so. Nor saw anyone mention cold weather issues. Must have been something about yours. Different grease, or no grease used during production. Tough to say.

Sorry to hear you had an uncooperative one...

I shot all winter with a 30x XTR3. As well as hunting through November and December. I didnt have any cold weather issues.

For that matter I never had any issues with multitudes of XTR2s for the last five years or so. Nor saw anyone mention cold weather issues. Must have been something about yours. Different grease, or no grease used during production. Tough to say.

Sorry to hear you had an uncooperative one...
It could be that it was the odd one out ive had that with other scopes already that the only reason i noticed something was wrong was because i had owned that model before and it was better.
I didnt notice much around freezing but -10 it started showing up -15 and colder was the problem it still worked but difficult.

Reactions: Birddog6424
It could be that it was the odd one out ive had that with other scopes already that the only reason i noticed something was wrong was because i had owned that model before and it was better.
I didnt notice much around freezing but -10 it started showing up -15 and colder was the problem it still worked but difficult.

I had similar experiences with my PST II. My Razor gen II, no issues at all. Makes a guy wonder if it has to do with the manufacture being a little over zealous with the grease that day. Have a NX8 4-32 on my 223/coyote rifle now. Interested to see how it performs in the cold weather. I do like the scope so far, but I definitely don't have enough time behind it to have full confidence that it's the right choice so far. My buddy has a MK 5 that I'm hoping to be able to compare to this deer season. The Tikka needs something a little nicer and more durable than a PST II.

As others have said, appreciate the work and sharing it with everyone. The NX8 was at the top of my list for a scope on an all-purpose bolt gun, but that finicky eyebox may have sqaushed that. Looking more like ATACR if I'm going to stay NF.

As others have said, appreciate the work and sharing it with everyone. The NX8 was at the top of my list for a scope on an all-purpose bolt gun, but that finicky eyebox may have sqaushed that. Looking more like ATACR if I'm going to stay NF.

Shhhhh.... Just do it...

ZCOpic-2-420x167.jpg

Reactions: Slevin182
Overall the concept is great but the execution was lacking, not because NF couldn’t do it but they had a price point to meet. If this was a $3500 scope I have no doubt it’d be phenomenal but to meet $2k they had to cut too many corners IMHO. one of these days I’d like to check out the NX8 4-32, it is a longer scope with limited FOV so I expect it to do a lot better.

one of these days I’d like to check out the NX8 4-32, it is a longer scope with limited FOV so I expect it to do a lot better.

I fondled one last weekend at a local shop. I was fairly surprised that even while holding it by hand and looking through it at a wall 40ft away, I was able to turn the magnification all the way up and maintain the sight picture. You may be on to something.

Would the NX8 2.5-20x50 with Mil XT be a good choice for a DMR style 6MM ARC build? Primary purpose would be banging steel out to 1200 yards and secondary purpose would be occasional deer and hog hunting. I am attracted to the lower weight and smaller size this scope offers...curious if you guys think it would be a good fit for my application. Thanks!

Reactions: godofthunder
Would the NX8 2.5-20x50 with Mil XT be a good choice for a DMR style 6MM ARC build? Primary purpose would be banging steel out to 1200 yards and secondary purpose would be occasional deer and hog hunting. I am attracted to the lower weight and smaller size this scope offers...curious if you guys think it would be a good fit for my application. Thanks!

The very first post covers the 20x in phenomenal detail. Subsequent posts cover several pages and offer a lot of opinions. Surely there is enough information there for you to form an opinion.

Reactions: Glassaholic
I have an update that is worth talking about and updating my original review of this scope. I have now had the opportunity to review another NX8 2.5-20x50 scope and this "new" version does not exhibit any of the edge distortion that was prevalent in my original copy, in fact, the differences are so great I almost feel like NF changed their optical formula, it felt like two different scopes. This was either a QC issue that my early model had, or this is representative of some pretty significant sample variance. This would also explain why some NX8 2.5-20 users have declared their scopes to be similar to my original copy (significant edge distortion) while others have not had this issue as this latest NX8 displayed rather excellent edge to edge sharpness. Yes, the formula still applies - short scopes with high erectors are going to be more finicky with eyebox, DOF and parallax; however, based on my latest experience with the newer NX8 2.5-20 I have to admit that I am quite pleased.

The new NX8 2.5-20 will be featured in my upcoming review where I compared a S&B 3-27x56, a March 3-24x52 and the NX8 2.5-20, stay tuned...

I have an update that is worth talking about and updating my original review of this scope. I have now had the opportunity to review another NX8 2.5-20x50 scope and this "new" version does not exhibit any of the edge distortion that was prevalent in my original copy, in fact, the differences are so great I almost feel like NF changed their optical formula, it felt like two different scopes. This was either a QC issue that my early model had, or this is representative of some pretty significant sample variance. This would also explain why some NX8 2.5-20 users have declared their scopes to be similar to my original copy (significant edge distortion) while others have not had this issue as this latest NX8 displayed rather excellent edge to edge sharpness. Yes, the formula still applies - short scopes with high erectors are going to be more finicky with eyebox, DOF and parallax; however, based on my latest experience with the newer NX8 2.5-20 I have to admit that I am quite pleased.

The new NX8 2.5-20 will be featured in my upcoming review where I compared a S&B 3-27x56, a March 3-24x52 and the NX8 2.5-20, stay tuned...

That's not the news I wanted to here, now I need to consider the NX8 again rather than going all in on the XTR3i.
If the optical formula has been dramatically imporved in the 2.5-20 how do you think it would compare to the 3.3-18?

That's not the news I wanted to here, now I need to consider the NX8 again rather than going all in on the XTR3i.
If the optical formula has been dramatically imporved in the 2.5-20 how do you think it would compare to the 3.3-18?
That's the thing, I don't know if the optical formula was altered in any way, but what I can say is if I had my original scope and this new scope side by side I would have thought they were two different scopes. Was it QC? Is it sample variance? Was it a fluke? I have no idea, but if this latest NX8 is representative of the more recent NX8 scopes from NF, consider me impressed.

Hard to say as I don't have them side by side, I still think the XTR III is going to have slightly more forgiving eyebox, DOF and parallax simply in lieu of the design parameters, but optically, I'd have to say the NX8 has the edge.

Reactions: beetroot
Thats funny you posted this. Ive got a 2.5-20 and have never really noticed the edge distrotion some complain about, maybe thats why. Parallex is a little finicky and its a little tougher to get behind than some longer optics but far from bad if used on a properly set up rifle. Life is a series of compromises and lower entry price and short design are two of them. For what it is ive always thought it was a very decent scope. Recently acquired a couple XTR3 3-18s for use om rimfire. I really like them except for stiff mag ring and parallex and no illumination. I think the nx8 has an edge in glass quality but the xtr3 is easier to get behind and i love the eyebox/fov and thats why im running them on coyote rifle and rimfire setup.