• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce NXS 3.5-15 or 5-22 X 50 ???

canine

Private
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2007
Easton, MD
Hi guys,
I have a nightforce NXS 3.5-15X50 w / NP 2DD reticle that I am taking off of a custom 300WSM and putting on a custom 308 mainly for hunting purposes. I am going to put a NXS w/ NP R2 reticle back on the 300WSM. My question is should I stick with the 3.5 - 15 or would you guys recommend going to the 5-22. I mainly use the rifle for long range target and hunting in open fields.
Thanks for any input

Re: Nightforce NXS 3.5-15 or 5-22 X 50 ???

Both are going to do fine. The 5-22 is going to make it that much easier on you for your long range shooting.

LW

I am solidly of the opinion that more mag is better for longer range use. I like as much mag as I can use considering the conditions. JMO.

Thanks for the help. Where do you guys recomend buying nightforce products?

i would go with the 3.5-15X50, its all you'll ever need. with the 5.5-22 your reticle is only correct for holdovers at 22X, and within 300 yards 22X is too much, and out at a distance on hot days your going to have to read through the mirage, which isnt easy.

and as far as where to buy, stacey blenkenship gets my vote.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redneckbmxer24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">5.5-22 your reticle is only correct for holdovers at 22X</div></div>

If 22X is too hard for your hold overs, then dial down to 11X, and hold half as much.

You mentioned long range target practice and hunting. I guess it depends which one you will be doing more of. For hunting I would think the 3.5-15x might be better.

But I just switched from a 4.5-14x to the 5.5-22x specifically for target shooting. The 14x wasn't quite enough for the f-class shooting I'm mostly doing these days. So if it's a target rifle that you will sometimes hunt with then maybe the higher power. But if you only do informal target shooting and really plan to hunt with it the lower power might be better for the reasons stated above.

Ben

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rijndael</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redneckbmxer24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">5.5-22 your reticle is only correct for holdovers at 22X</div></div>

If 22X is too hard for your hold overs, then dial down to 11X, and hold half as much. </div></div>

i tried that 11X isnt exact.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redneckbmxer24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i tried that 11X isnt exact.</div></div>

They rarely are, you need to figure out where it is, and mark it yourself. Many of use use auto paint, or a silver sharpie.

The mark for 22X on mine isn't exact either. Both required remarking.

It's a 10 minute job, at the most.

I use a 7.2" square box.
@ 100 Yards
22X = 2 Mils
11X = 1 Mil

I went with the 5.5-22 for my primary hunting rifle, I like the extra mag in situations where I really need to be close when field scoring a big whitetail and or making up my mind if he's one to go or one to grow. Good luck!

well i didnt even like the 5.5-22X either, it was too much power to my eyes anything more than about 16X is too much, i rarely find myself going above about 12-14X, unless its on a varmint rifle. at extreme range (1000+) i use more power, but i no longer have access to that kind of distance, so i dont see needing a 5.5-22X scope. plus i also do some shooting at closer range so the 3.5X is nice.

The 3.5-15 works great for long range shooting out to 1000 yards, the 5-22 has a little to much mirage for my liking at 1000 yards.

Is there any truth in what I read post some time back that the 3.5x15x50 is brighter or clearer then the 5.5x22x50? Is there really a good noticeable difference in clarity? Any truth to this? I plan on buying 2 to 4 scopes soon and i'm leaning on 5.5x22x50. I am still debating going to 56mm lens instead though but not sure.

I can say that in the desert out here on a summer day 22x is way too much with the mirage at any significant distance. I can see where the 3.5-15x would be nice that way, even 15x can be too much on a hot day out here.

For these higher power scopes that are second focal plane I would not mind seeing a scope that had accurate mil marks at say 11x for the 5.5-22. That way you still have 2x mil marks at 5.5x and if conditions allow you can use 22x for even more accurate milling. I can see using the highest power to mil on a scope that only goes to 10-15x but after that you are really limited unless you have ideal conditions, esp. after 15x. Bushnell got this right IMO on their 6-24 4200 elite that has accurate mils at 12x.

I suppose that is one big advantage to the SFP scopes, you can range quickly at any power needed for the conditions.

I would choose the 5.5-22 and did 4 times now with the R1 reticle. Very good scope.

i bought the 5.5-22 but kind of wish i'd got the 3.5-15 instead. i spend most of the time using it at 11 power but the tic marks are 1 mil there instead of .5 mil. 1 mil marks are a little coarse.

so if anyone has a 3.5-15 Mil/Mil zero stop and wants to trade, lemme know.

I have 2- 5.5-22x56 scopes. If you go with the 5.5-22, I'd recommend the 56mm objective. It is a little brighter than the 50mm comparing side by side. If you want a little more compact scope, then the 3.5-15x50 is a great size also. I thought about going to the 3.5-15, but opted for the larger one like I already have. I do dial down a lot when close shots are needed, or have fast engaging targets. But when you need the 22 power, you need the 22 power! It's nice to have it when shooting long range, and very rarely do I need to dial down to avoid the mirage. The 8-32, however, is a beast, and will require you to dial down. And, it is a little less clear than the 5.5-22 or 3.5-15.

I hardly ever take mine off 22 power, true the 56 is alittle brighter but then taller rings ect, I have custom cut bases to get max usage out of my scope. On my Edge its 43MOA, but I need it because on one of our ranges we have a gong at 2100yards and depends on the day and pressure I need around 82MOA on the scope!

I sincerely thank you guys for all of the replies. I have decided on the 3.5-15 X 50 with the NP R2 reticle. After doing some serious considering I came to the realization that most of this rifle scope use will be hunting out to about 600 yards or so max. and any target shooting would be inside that range and very very seldom past that range. Thanks again for all of your responses.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWATguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I sincerely thank you guys for all of the replies. I have decided on the 3.5-15 X 50 with the NP R2 reticle. After doing some serious considering I came to the realization that most of this rifle scope use will be hunting out to about 600 yards or so max. and any target shooting would be inside that range and very very seldom past that range. Thanks again for all of your responses. </div></div>

I'm right there with you. It's hard to turn away from the extra magnification when it's not THAT much more expensive. I think I've decided on the 3.5-15 as well...or the Leupy equivalent, haven't decided between the two yet.

Hey man, how has the NF 3.5-15 been working out for you?
I'm so torn between the 3.5 or the 5.5 - primarily because the 3.5x mag range would be so good for night hunting but the 22x would be outstanding for those long range shots..

how do you find the clarity of the 3.5-15 at, say, 600m if you've shot out that far? Is it a strain on your eye?

was going thru the same dilemma but now I think I'm going with the 5.5-22x56 with NP R1 (the R1 looks more useful for ranging)

Either choice you do get used to it and love it. Neither are bad and will make you happy.

I think im going to go with the 5.5-22x56 + zero stop + hi speed adjustment turrets in NP-R1.

It seems a big scope to put on a Rem 700 LTR (.308), but these scopes have had so many positive reviews it's hard to overlook them.

..big purchase in a few weeks time

i think it may also depend on what you're hunting too... for varmint hunting (300 wsm is alot for that
smile.gif
) the 5-22 would be nice... but i'm assuming medium sized game, so the 3-15 x 56 or 50 would be nice, unless you like alot of magnification and you're shooting from a rest/and not shooting too up close... like 25 - 50 yds (i would think that's too close for a 5x maybe unless you had open sights or something). Maybe i'm totally off - on my 5.5 - 25x... 25 yds is pretty close, but then again, it's not a nightforce either. I have the 3-15x50 in a nightforce though... and i really like my npr1 reticle for that.

Nightforce is a pretty heavy scope for hunting if you have plan on stalking hunting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aussie700P</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I think im going to go with the 5.5-22x56 + zero stop + hi speed adjustment turrets in NP-R1.

It seems a big scope to put on a Rem 700 LTR (.308), but these scopes have had so many positive reviews it's hard to overlook them.

..big purchase in a few weeks time </div></div>

Bahh just do it mate.

You in Vic? If so I can show you my 5.5-22 on a 700 Police.

IMG_0501.jpg

And, on a HS stock it looks more like this.
IMG_2565Large.jpg

I tend prefer the 3.5-15x50mm on 308 but I know a few guys that really like having the 5.5-22x on their 308.

5.5-22x you can rote down to 11x and us it for holdover shoots but I recommend getting a bore sight that has a grid pattern in it so you can check to see were it really need to be at on the power setting then mark were that is on the scope. For the most part 11x is close but it tends not to be 100% spot on.

Mike @ CST

For up close hunting shots where you run the risk of jumping an animal from brush I've seen a few guys that put a red-dot like a Docter or mini aimpoint or such at a 45* angle on the body of the primary sight. Then just set it up like you would a rifle for 3 gun and use it.

depends on what type of hunting you are doing bigger scope more weight. I you are stationary no biggie but if you going to stalk it can get heavey

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSTACTICAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tend prefer the 3.5-15x50mm on 308 but I know a few guys that really like having the 5.5-22x on their 308.Mike @ CST </div></div>

Mike, thanks for letting me look through several scopes at your shop. I always agonize between the 3.5-15 and 5.5-22 every time I need glass. The one you sent me, I just mounted tonight, pic below. Thanks again for the assistance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Amacron</div><div class="ubbcode-body">depends on what type of hunting you are doing bigger scope more weight.</div></div>
3.5-15x56 weight = 31 OZ, length 14.8"
5.5-22x56 weight = 32 OZ, length 15.2"

I would say the weight/size between the two is negligible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aussie700P</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
..big purchase in a few weeks time </div></div>

Here's what a 5.5-22x56 MIL/MIL hi speed turrets, looks like on an LTR (full size H&S stock however)... I didnt see a need to go below 5.5x to 3.5x much, and its nice to have the high power when spotting for others, identifying objects, seeing holes in paper, etc
I have owned both and they both have good points...
LTR3.jpg

They are some cracking pictures fellas - looks awesome on the h.s precision stock!

Thanks vman,im in Sydney unfortunately but I'd be at the range in a heartbeat if I was in Vic!

I'll be sure to post some pics of the LTR with the new scope soon enough - I'm so excited.. First rifle too =)

cheers

Bought my rifle today and ordered the NF 5.5-22x56 (+zero stop+hi speed turrets in NPR1 reticle).

I went in looking for the LTR and came out with the XCR for a few hundred $$ more because the shop and wholesalers were out of LTRs.

The Bell and Carlson stock is really growing on me. Better than matt black now I think

smaller024xcr.jpg

smaller015xcr.jpg

smaller029xcr.jpg

smaller012xcr.jpg

smaller044xcr.jpg

smaller002xcr.jpg

Why no FFP option on the 5.5-22 you Nightforce guys? You're killing me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the_fng</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why no FFP option on the 5.5-22 you Nightforce guys? You're killing me. </div></div>
The F1 isn't offered in the 5.5-22 as far as I was aware. It's not on the NF website at least

Even if it was offered in the 5.5 (I would take one in a second) but I really can't justify more money on the 5.5-22. Already released $2300 for it. The 3.5-15x50 F1 are $3000 here in Australia before you even request zero stop or ballistic turrets or something (i.e. another ~$300+). That kind of cash makes my mind lean towards something in the Schmidt and Bender price range.

The F1 would be great, but for me they are really for serious tactical shooters in competitions or field use or something.

The other point being as well (as I understand it) is that the reticle is more fine at 22x in the second focal plane which could be of benifit for certain people.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aussie700P</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the_fng</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why no FFP option on the 5.5-22 you Nightforce guys? You're killing me. </div></div>
The F1 isn't offered in the 5.5-22 as far as I was aware. It's not on the NF website at least

Even if it was offered in the 5.5 (I would take one in a second) but I really can't justify more money on the 5.5-22. Already released $2300 for it. The 3.5-15x50 F1 are $3000 here in Australia before you even request zero stop or ballistic turrets or something (i.e. another ~$300+). That kind of cash makes my mind lean towards something in the Schmidt and Bender price range.

The F1 would be great, but for me they are really for serious tactical shooters in competitions or field use or something.

The other point being as well (as I understand it) is that the reticle is more fine at 22x in the second focal plane which could be of benifit for certain people. </div></div>
Who buys these things locally?
whistle.gif

whistle.gif
[/quote]

Sounds like you haven't tried importing a Nightforce for yourself man.. give it a go one day and you'll see why I bought locally.
grin.gif

Dude with the cash u save buying one in the USA you can pay for your plane ticket and jet on over.

Nightforce + Holiday to Boot !~

But yeh, customs both Australian and US customs are a bunch of douche baggerinos.

I had a mate buy a Bushnell from Bali and customs wouldnt let him bring it across. He then asked them if they were retarded and told them he could just buy it locally so whats the problem, to which they shrugged their shoulders and let him keep it.

I hate buzz kills

I guess it protects the sellers in whatever country they are being shipped to etc etc.. only problem being most dont import them for a small profit, they tend to charge you whatever the hell they like. So, that just means deal hunting.. but hey, in the end, the shop with the best customer service and desire to have your business wins.

That's some serious bs with the Bushnell customs thing - they're great scopes but they aint exactly Rolex's are they! Good he got it through

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aussie700P</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the_fng</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aussie700P</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the_fng</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why no FFP option on the 5.5-22 you Nightforce guys? You're killing me. </div></div>

Even if it was offered in the 5.5 (I would take one in a second) but... </div></div>

whistle.gif
</div></div>

Sounds like you haven't tried importing a Nightforce for yourself man.. give it a go one day and you'll see why I bought locally.
grin.gif

</div></div>
http://www.eurooptic.com/

wink.gif

Pretty sure if Nightforce becomes aware of dodgy exporters they lose the privledge of being supplied their products - that's why it's hard to find one willing. It's not just a stamp duty thing - it's some kind of export agreement between major brands.

Maybe remove that post for that dude's sake

Done...but i cant edit yours...

I was just proving it has and will continue to be easy not be ripped off in Australia, and with our dollar being so high youd be crazy not to take advantrage.

Like I said - I'd rather deal locally for the customer service. At least I know that my money is going to an aussie local business and that they're responsible to provide certain services under the trade act that international sellers are not liable to. Pretty important to me when you're dealing with this kind of money.