• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce NXS NP-1 vs. FC-2 ?

mrpink

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2009
DC metro & rural VT
I'm thinking about a NF 1-4x24.

The 1-4x24 is intended for my POF shorty SBR. Close range to 300 yd work. I'm a civie, so real life CQB would be SHTF in the house, so I'm pretty sure reticle brightness won't be an issue. I'm atwix the NP-1 or FC-2. I think the NP-1 would be better at precision for 50yds+, but wonder if it will loose much speed against the FC-2 up close.

I'm not a fan of the ACOG - used a chevron, and didn't like the lack of precision at range, so that's why I question the FC-2?

Thanks for your input.

Re: Nightforce NXS NP-1 vs. FC-2 ?

NF really doesn't have a lot of choices on the 1-4. I'd lean towards the mil dot for the longer shots, and still be ok for CQB. To answer your question with those 2 reticle choices, I'd go with the FC2 for CQB.

I have NF 1-4x24 scopes with both reticles for my AR15/AR10 SBR's.
If you have illumination either reticle is fine inside the house.
But the FC-2 is definitely better suited in the house especially if you do not use, or lose illumination. You can pick it up a lot easier in low light conditions.
So if you want your SBR as a home protection option get the FC-2 reticle and keep the scope dialed down at 1x. Great CQB optic and very fast reticle.

I would recommend the FC2 and it will be what I am getting when I replace the cheap Millet 1-4x on my POF. The Millet has a similar reticle and I was out today shooting out to 400 yards on steel easily by just using holdovers. It also works well up close.

I debated the same with my 1-4 and choose the np-1. For me I find target acquisition to be fast. Will be it as fast as an fc-2, no. In a strictly cqb set up, yes I would choose the fc-2 or another red dot. For longer than 100 yard shots, I prefer the np-1 and I'm very happy with my purchase. IMHO

FC2, undoubtedly.

Short barreled? How short? Not gonna get much effective distance with a shortie anyway unless you are using 75gr match ammo and have a real quality barrel, like a Noveske Afghan.

Don't overlook the Leupold 56994, 1.5-5x, w/illum SPR reticle. Very usable, and has the M2 turrets. I have a 2.5-10x NXS FC2 and like it a lot, but the Leupold has the more versatile reticle, has -0- stop turrets and tons of elevation and windage.

Not like you need "the better glass" to use your short barrel AR effectively at its effective range.

Thanks for the replies. Shorty is 11.5". Range ammo is usually 55 or 62 grain - whatever quality I can get my hands on. Home defense load is 62 or 75 grain TAP.

Talking with the guy at NF, he suggested the NP-1. Good for 0-300 3-gun, looses a little speed compared to the FC-2, but beats it at 100.

As he put it, the FC-2 was requested by the Military to "get the lead out fast".

Mr Pink,

We use two. One on a CAR and one on a SIG556. Both have the FC-2. I can bench the SIG and get 1MOA groups at 100yds with the reticle. Both rifles are good on steel to 300yds but both are specifically used to hit quick from 6ft to 50yds.

I ran through the same decision process as you and decided that I can compromise and learn my holdovers at longer distance but can't afford the time to monkey fuck my brain and eyes up close.

Usually time allowed for engagement is proportionate to the distance. You better hit something around the corner of the house in about 1 second. Something at hundreds of yards will usually give you proportionately more time to get steady and hold to hit.

Just something to think about. I have used mine hard for 3 years and have zero regrets. I would buy the same kit if I had to do it again from scratch. For me the FC-2 was the only logical choice.

Best,
Terry

I think I would shoot that shortie at 150/200 yds and see what kind of groups I got, before being enamored by the potential of the NP-1.

Actually, looking at the NightForce reticle spec book, the NP-1 is less versatile, imho. Sure you get a .3" moa wide crosshair in the center, but that remains a very fine line to find under stress. The FC-2 gives you a 2moa dot, plus inner/outer edge of circle, plus other crosshair break aiming points. Additionally you get 5moa outside of circle to heavy stadia, a bit more intuitive to split than the 12x on the NP-1.

Using the dot in a 6 o'clock hold gives you possibly finer aiming point than the 3moa crosshair, if you can hold it.

Still pretty doubtful to me that the fine line reticle will be a factor for you with an 11.5" barrel, especially if that is your OAL with flash hider or suppressor. I think the FC2 with fast reaction dot, and 4 compass points on the circle for 5moa holds plus 5, 10, & 15 moa holdovers for vertical gives you more to work with for distance shooting as well.

Your barrel may group like a Krieger Service Rifle at 200yds, but the FC still gives you fastest reaction, a dot that is harder to lose even when using BAC methods, and 9 different aiming points for immediate "value known" employment. Maybe it won't hold the fine groups from the bench, but that isn't your primary purpose, is it?

The Leupold SPR is even better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swamper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I would shoot that shortie at 150/200 yds and see what kind of groups I got, before being enamored by the potential of the NP-1.....</div></div>

Breaking the upper in, I used a NF 3.5-15 and was getting 0.75" groups at 100 consistently.

I'm leaning towards the NP-1, I figure if I don't like and want to go FC-2, the NP-1 can move over to my 10/22 clone rabbit gun. I really just need a dedicated SHTF house gun using an Aimpoint M4s.