• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Nightforce NXS questions

Jason Wells

Private
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2010
Staunton VA
Ok guys, I finally got to get out to the range this morning for the first time with my 700 5R and the Nightforce 5.5-22 X 50. This is my first experience with a higher power scope like this and I have few questions. I am legally blind in my left eye and the pupil doesn't function so I am extremely sensitive to light especially when looking through a rifle scope. Does anyone out there use a sun shade and if so can you suggest a few good ones? Also, even in the morning light before the sun got really bright I was having a had time getting both the reticle and the target focused at the same time, I didn't have a lot of time to work with it but I did work with the eyepiece but seemed to get more clarity by adjusting the parallax adjustment.

Just looking for a little insight from you all with more experience on these scopes that I have. Thanks!

Re: Nightforce NXS questions

You may want to get a ARD (anti reflective device) (honeycomb) that will bring the brightness down.

I take it you're lefty. I am as well. My NF came with the sunshade. It shoudlnt be a problem finding one. I also shoot with sunglasses (Oakley SI M-Frames) and that cuts the light down for me and now I shoot with a hat...having contacts is a PITA. PatM had a good suggestion on the ARD
If you havent done so...take the time to focus the ocular lens to your eyeball (this can be done at home). Short and sweet....loosen the ocular ring from the mag. adj and focus it to your eye...what you are looking for is a crisp reticle as soon as you look into the ocular. The manual has a procedure for this.
Once this is accomplished, you should adjust the paralax until the target image is sharp with the reticle(at the range)...this will also change with longer ranges so adjustment will be necessary. Take it easy...

\BM

I have the factory sunshade, what I was referring to is like an eyepiece extension that "seals" the light from your eye, sorry for the lack of detail.

The best way I have found to adjust the ocular lens is by rubber banding a piece paper towel over the objective lens so some light will come through and you will have a white background to focus on. Adjust the reticle so it is crisp, you can also turn on the illumination the reticle should still be nice and crisp. Your mileage may vary on this one but it has worked great for me on a few scopes including my NXS.

I think that the Nightforce sunshades are threaded on both ends so you can screw multiple shades together to cut down on light coming into the scope.

Ah....I understand....like the eyepiece on thermals or NV....not sure of anything that is out there as i havent seen it. I dont think it would be practical as you would have to get fairly close to the glass and ya might end up with some minor scope bite.....Try a hat and some shades....thats all I can offer, unless you want to try using said piece from NV or thermals if they'll fit...just my .002

Holy Shit Pat...that thing is freakin long!!1
laugh.gif

Here...I shortened it up for ya

Rubber Scope Cover

Pat..ur sig line is GREAT....lmao....Origins of the Mall Ninjees

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northern50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The best way I have found to adjust the ocular lens is by rubber banding a piece paper towel over the objective lens so some light will come through and you will have a white background to focus on. Adjust the reticle so it is crisp, you can also turn on the illumination the reticle should still be nice and crisp. Your mileage may vary on this one but it has worked great for me on a few scopes including my NXS.

I think that the Nightforce sunshades are threaded on both ends so you can screw multiple shades together to cut down on light coming into the scope. </div></div>

Cool idea!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jason Wells</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok guys, I finally got to get out to the range this morning for the first time with my 700 5R and the Nightforce 5.5-22 X 50. This is my first experience with a higher power scope like this and I have few questions. I am legally blind in my left eye and the pupil doesn't function so I am extremely sensitive to light especially when looking through a rifle scope. Does anyone out there use a sun shade and if so can you suggest a few good ones? Also, even in the morning light before the sun got really bright I was having a had time getting both the reticle and the target focused at the same time, I didn't have a lot of time to work with it but I did work with the eyepiece but seemed to get more clarity by adjusting the parallax adjustment.

Just looking for a little insight from you all with more experience on these scopes that I have. Thanks! </div></div>

I'm also very light sensative 2/2 an old eye injury and an artificial lens in my shooting eye.

Couple of thoughts: NF has a very long sun shade for the NXS line which I routinely use on a .308 precision rifle and on a tricked out Monolith AR .308. Works great on both applications, is really not too long (I'm also shooting a 5.5.X22X50). I also shoot with ESS Crossbows glasses with the light gray lens. They wrap well to the sides and reduce scope light enough to make my eye more comfortable when I shoot on a bright day or towards the sun.

Hope this helps