• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce nxs vs mk6

MJ2936

Private
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2013
USA
Looking at a 2.5-10x42 nsx vs the mk6 3-18 for a scar 17 in a dmr /spr role.

thoughts?

The Leupold looks good on paper and has a larger power range but the Nightforce will be a better made scope overall.

Agree with what was said above. I'd give the NXS 3.5-15x50 consideration. I have 3 of them on hunting rifles and a AR. The 2.5-10 is a great scope but for nearly same weight and price, i prefer the extra power of the 3-15.

Agree with what was said above. I'd give the NXS 3.5-15x50 consideration. I have 3 of them on hunting rifles and a AR. The 2.5-10 is a great scope but for nearly same weight and price, i prefer the extra power of the 3-15.

I agree with what he the about the 3.15X50 NXS versus 2.5-10 NXS

I assume your trying to keep the weight down. The 3-15 nxs is 30 oz and significantly longer, compared with 19 and 22 of the others. I have the Mk6 on my obr and it fits that rifle well. Another option you might look at is the March 3-24x42, 12" and 22 oz. Just ordered one to go on a Grendel and ordered through optics planet with 10% off so the price is right in line with the others.

You are correct. And I have an atacr 4-16x42 F1 on my bolt gun that is a step above the nsx 3-15 at a shorter length. Im debating between similar sized and weight scopes for the scar 17

A friend of mine uses a Mk.6 on an OBR, and it's a badass little scope. We humped it all over Kentucky last year in below freezing temperatures and it worked just fine. There were quite a few at Mammoth Sniper Challenge because it is so lightweight.

Looking at a 2.5-10x42 nsx vs the mk6 3-18 for a scar 17 in a dmr /spr role.

thoughts?

What kind of distance or "normal" engagement? The 2.5-10x42 is a wonderful scope, has parallax adjustment, its nice and light, but lacks the glass quality, FFP and tube size of the barely larger ATACR 4-16x44. If you want apples to apples on comparison, id say that's a closer game than the MK6 vs NXS. Another option since youre saving a few bucks on the 2.5-10 is mount an off set MRDS for a true 1x ability, since the 10x will get you to 1000m pending round use and skill level. I bounce back and forth on my Scar with a 1-6, 1-8, 2.5-10x, 4-16 etc because even though I "Want" it as a CQB gun, in reality, the reason I like it most is the light weight of the gun, and how simple it is to just toss a bipod on and plink to whatever distance I want, effortlessly. Its getting the new NF ATACR 1-8 now, which will likely be how it stays for a long time, but before that, I was in the same boat you were.

Cant really go wrong with any of them, I just decided even though I probably wont ever use the red dot, my OCD can rest now that I have that capability!

I have not owned the x42 NF but I did have the x24 for a year or more. I think the x42 fixed a lot of the x24 and x32’s shortcomings. I sold it and got a MK6 3-18 TMR M5C2 and could not be happier. Honestly the M5C2 turrets are excellent. I like the capped windage. The TMR reticle is meh, but I think a reticle upgrade is $175, but the TMR is plenty usable, just not my favorite. At 24oz and the profile you will be hard pushed to find something as good. my only complaints are the parallax adjustment which has a lot of rotation but the numbers don’t line up and it is very stiff. Second complaint is the lack of a sunshade.

If you can find a used MK6 I think you will be plenty happy, but as stated previously the 4-16 ATACR is in the next class up, but also heavier and larger.