• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce Turrets/Caps and scratches

vman

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2009
Australia
www.google.com
Hi Guys,

Well after only 10 days into owning my first NXS nightforce i have managed to scratch the crap out of the elevation turret. This is heart breaking as this scope has cost me $2400 australian to purchase new and already she looks as beaten up as the worst scope i own.

There is something in the back of mind however that is giving me comfort... and that is, that im guessing nightforce are able to replace these parts should the owner be inclined to do so...? Is this correct?

If so, has anyone out there done this and how much did a replacement turret cap cost?

I shouldnt need to send it in as its a simple matter of removing two hex screws and popping the old turret cap off and putting the new one on.

All of this happens whilst im waiting for my scopecoat to arrive
frown.gif

I have a Winchester aluminum airline grade carry case that is the culprit for such rude scratch marks! I guess its my bad for placing the scope too close to the edge of the case.

Time to buy a Pelican case i think.

Please share with me your scratched nightforce stories so that i can sleep better at night
smile.gif

Re: Nightforce Turrets/Caps and scratches

You're thinking too much into it. Your turrets are gonna get dinged up again once you receive new turrets.

I found a nice nick on my scope tube on my 2 month old NXS if it makes you feel better.

vman,

That sucks. Hard cases can be hard on scopes, an oxymoron for sure. Sleep well and just think how much character your scope has just acquired.
grin.gif

I'm sure if you send an e-mail to Nightforce they will fix you up. The postage to OZ will probably cost more than the new elevation turret.

Still, i wouldnt mind keeping a nice fresh turret in the safe for show and tell purposes
wink.gif

viva la nightforce

I hope you never get a run in your stockings. Seriously kill something take blood from kill and smear over scratches problem solved.

You don't want a rifle that's a safe queen anyway, right?

You could touch it up with a black Sharpie marker then smear the blood on it. No one will know.

Seriously? Shoot her and have fun. I have scratches all over my stuff. Called having character
wink.gif

I am sure NF will sell you a turret cap if you needed it.

Reactions: VegasHKShooter

Absolutely !
Scratches build character and put you on the path to removing your emotional attachment to your inanimate object which effects the way you think & operate.

and yes, you can buy new caps if it really hurts your feelings.

Reactions: Tunnuh

Dood,

you'd hate to see what my most "loved" gun stuff gets put through.

I was on a hog hunting trip, we were checking zeroes on our guns before we went out that night. I'll never forget the look on my buddies' faces when I took my AR out of it's case, threw it as hard I could down the gravel road, walked over picked it up, chambered a round, then stood there put 3rds into a coke bottle at 100yds.
smile.gif

LM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cjgemm</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i got one better for you.... NEW,its from D&L sports, $75.00 USD plus shipping

http://www.dlsports.com/nxs_scope_speed_turrets_with_stops.html </div></div>

Stops are a 250 dollar option from NF.</div></div>

you can't lose with the stuff i use

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cjgemm</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i got one better for you.... NEW,its from D&L sports, $75.00 USD plus shipping

http://www.dlsports.com/nxs_scope_speed_turrets_with_stops.html </div></div>

Stops are a 250 dollar option from NF.</div></div>

you can't lose with the stuff i use </div></div>

Talk'm to makin stops for my Falcon Menace that's on my .22 or some of the other FFP less expensive Optics. They would make a killin.

Boltripper thanks for the link mate, makes an interesting post.

I know the things going to get beaten up over the course of time, but i just wasnt expecting to maul the crap out of it within 10 days!

Its like driving your new Ferrari out of the dealership and mounting a kerb on the first drive !

Anyway, im sure you all know of the frustration of putting nasty marks on your new toys

The first scratch always hurts, after that it will gradually get less painful and once you have accepted that it's going to get beat up anyway in the long run, you can focus on using it as the tool it is supposed to be.

Personally, I think there should be a "get right to work"-package from the manufacturers that consists of a good number of cosmetic dings and scratches. That would help people skip the pampering phase and make them put it to good use right away.
grin.gif

Vman, at the first match with my new 6.5 Creedmoor I was shooting next to a guy with an AR10 and his brass beat the hell out of my rifle stock finish scratching the paint off the stock. I only had the rifle for abou8t 3 weeks so i know what you are going through but my stock looks like it did after that match plus some more scratches so it will happen. As long as the scope still works then press on and shoot it. Spend the $75 on ammo where it will be ebtter served.

If he doesn't already have Zero Stops, I'd say 75 dollars would be well worth it.

vman,
No matter it's cost it's just a tool, do you worry about a hammer, skill saw or drill (or you rifle and other weapons) getting beat up while using them? no. I have an old S&B that you'd thing came through WWII and was handed down to me, it still functions flawlessly and that's what matters. Don't fall into the "love of equipment syndrome".

The only reason to fix it would be for resale value. So, if you do anything, dont worry about buying a replacement if and until you decide to sell. If you arent selling, it doesnt matter.

Vman,

It could be worse, a couple of years back I was getting all of my stuff in my truck to head off to our National Championships. I had my rifle all "perfect", ready to go sitting in a high cleaning vice. I went to check one last thing on the rifle before I set it into the travel case, being 0330 in the AM, I wasn't as quick as I might otherwise be and ended up knocking the 17.5lb rifle over in a perfect swan dive onto a very hard tile floor. It landed squarely on the top turret of my new 12-42x56 NXS. It looked a little dinged, so I adjusted it a minute or so in either direction, seemed to work, so I put it in the travel case and proceeded to drive 2000 miles to Nationals. The practice day went fine, my 300 yard zero was ~ 1 minute out, and it took a tiny bit more pressure to move the elevation up for the next few practice yard lines (500, 600, 800, 1000). It seemed all was well... until I tried to screw the elevation back down. I needed a pair of vice grips to make it move back down. I was *not* impressed! Fortunately, one of the Team guys had a spare, so a quick swap had me back in the game. Fortunately too, Nightforce repaired it no-charge in 48 hrs tops and overnighted the scope back to me. A replacement cap is simplicity itself to install, NF should have no trouble getting you one.

Of course this is nothing compared to the one that Nightforce has in their catalog, it has a 7.62mm hole through the scope tube between the turret and the eyepiece, picked up somewhere in the sandbox I think. That scope too worked for days with no fix other than some electrical tape.

Darrell

Well, spoke to a NF rep over here in Australia and a new turret costs $25 AU RRP. So for you guys in the US probably closer to $20 US.

Il keep a new one in the box just in case I have some financial crisis and need to sell her up... but i doubt that would happen.

And yes i know, OCD, but when you cant even read the direction on the turret of where the reticle is moving up or down... on a 2 week old scope... youd be shitty too

LOL

Tape over the scales and indicators and get some spray paint! You can touch it up whenever you want it to look fresh again.....

sorry to drag up a dead thread, but im a fellow aussie after a nightforce aswell, and was just wondering where you got yours, and how you went about the whole operation....?

im after a 3.5-15x50 nxs with mil turrets and MLR reticle if it makes any difference, but for everything i am researching, i can only seem to find .25 minute turrets, NO BLOODY MIL ones!!!! and im not that keen at the moment to drop an extra grand on the new F1 model............

cheers mate, jimi

You'd have a fucking aneurysm if you saw what my equipment looked like after week 1 of a deployment.

And this is before some asshole in a Blackhawk decided that it wasn't safe to touch down and let us disembark and instead had us hop at night from what we all assumed was 3-4 feet off the ground; only to find out it was more like 12.