• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Nikon Black FX1000 v NF SHV 4-16x50 F1

davsco

Private
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2014
NoVa
not even sure if the nikon is out yet, but any comparisons from the field or at least comparing specs? ready to pull the trigger on the shv, but the nikon seems pretty close and $500 less. this is just for a hunting rifle that's only going to be used a week or two or three each year (deer and elk) so if i can get pretty much the same thing for less, considering that. of course saving $ ain't worth it fogging or losing zero in the field. i'm looking for a ballistic reticle (moa or mil lines), easy dial for elevation, illuminated is real nice, 30mm tube, 50mm objective. would really prefer a 3-12 just in case some closer shots present themselves. i have some older monarch scopes that work fine and a few nikon cameras and lenses that are great.

I just got a notice from Midway this afternoon that they got the Black FX in stock today first come first served.

Michael

Reactions: bman940
Wish there was more hands on reviews of this scope.

The price and claimed qualities of it really have me wanting to buy it

When in doubt, Japan always beats Philippine.
Having said that, I think Nikon pulled out all the stops on this one.
Mainly because they were losing big time in the market. Most guys want a tactical scope even on hunting rifles.

Nikon's BLACK FX1000 is out and shipping from retailer's now. I look forward to reading review's.
Drop me a note with any question's or concern's.

IMG_0222.jpg

Other then handling it at SHOT Show and hearing what other's thought about the feature's I have not had this scope on a rifle, soon I hope! I have put over a 1000 rounds under Nikon's BLACK X1000 and love it. I have been shooting SFP scope's for 50 years so using a FFP off and on the past 2 years is a change for me and I truly like it ! Less thinking about drops when using it for holdover's is one nice feature. I'm sure we will be seeing a lot of range report's in the coming weeks.

Reactions: Bender
Who all Has these in stock for sale? Any good places to look for less than msrp? Midway was the only place I have seen in stock . I hope to go to my local Cabela's this weekend and handle one for myself, as of last night it didn't look promising

I have been told OP and 1800guns has them and 1800guns gives a Le/Mil discount if you enter friends10 at check out. Right now that is all I have heard.

I have a number of XR turret scopes I use for hunting and I dialed them in on steel to 700 yards to make sure all the numbers worked as expected. Zero problem's. That being said I am not sure if it is being phased out or the line paired down? I do know that for just about any Nikon scope you can go intot he Custom Turret Program and order a turret marked out with your shooting data.
Having used Nikon's BLACK X1000 for almost a year I can tell you it dial's with no issues and repeatability, reliability and clarity are excellent. Nikon's BLACK FX1000 scope is going to work for many shooter's who want the feature's of mre expensive optic's without shelling out $1250+. This new scope gives the shooter what they need to be successful for a fair price. The rest is up to them.

Thank's for your post!

OP planet shows 7-18 days for delivery or something like that, and I can't find anywhere on 1800guns website showing anything about the fx1000. Not familiar with 1800guns , hoping I was on the right website. 1800 guns and ammo? The 6x24 is what I'm looking for.

I suspect nikon isn't selling the XR turret scopes like hotcakes. The problem with promoting them more and offering more of them, is there is a huge segment of the market that will not take a tactical/heavy duty/ dialing scope seriously unless it has big ole knobs sticking out. Heck companies even sell scopes with 34mm tubes and larger. I mean why not just make a 40 mm tube scope. bigger is better right? again its like a giant lifted truck running 22" dubs for wheels. its all show and no go. I have to laugh when I see 34mm tube scopes and they offer no more elevation travel than a competitors 30 mm offering, ITS ALL MARKETING!

so nikon I dunno what to tell you, figure out a way to gain a reputation for reliable mechanical adjustments, So far the path to that is only a couple ways, a ton of money spent on a optics in europe which is going to mean a scope probably over 2k, IMO the market is saturated there. OR a scope made in japan, I don't trust Philippine manufacture yet, maybe at some point I could and I do think they are close.

1) Larger tube with same adjustment means larger lens element / mag tube. More mechanical leverage to smooth out wide zoom ratios. It's an either/or situation (more adjustment or larger lens). Has nothing to do with marketing. Engineers don't randomly design stuff at arbitrary numbers.

2) Filipino glass is really getting right up there. Even their low-end stuff. Country-of-origin means almost nothing these days. Any company can spec out something to their level and take advantage of a global market. Even if Europeans still make the best glass, something like a PMII 5-25 is really getting long in the tooth.

Sharp., You are Spot On with your comment's. You are obviously a person who know's what you are talking about from knowledge and experience. Can't truly understand if you have one without the other. Nikon's BLACK FX1000 has been a long time coming and I do not think it will disappoint anyone.

Latest distribution new's on Nikon's BLACK FX1000 riflescope. They are at retailer's right now in the US. They should also be available right now in Canada as well. Europe, as of right now there is no information that this scope is coming your way but if that changes I will make a post. Very cool how there is literally worlwide interest in this new optic from Nikon. As I have said before, I look forward to reading your impression's and range report's.
I can't wait to get mine, hopefully in April .

If it's not going to Europe I would think it will also not be going to Russia.

So I just bought one off OP. 6-24 MRAD was in stock and I called in to order . I don’t compete but i do beat rigs around in the desert shooting long range so we’ll see how it holds up . I’ve been running SWFAs SS for a number of years with no issues so I’m hoping the same for this , this is what I consider my first Upper end optic so I’m hoping to be impressed. Excited as well .

so nikon I dunno what to tell you, figure out a way to gain a reputation for reliable mechanical adjustments, So far the path to that is only a couple ways, a ton of money spent on a optics in europe which is going to mean a scope probably over 2k, IMO the market is saturated there. OR a scope made in japan, I don't trust Philippine manufacture yet, maybe at some point I could and I do think they are close.

Burris XTRII, rock solid mechanics, built in the Philippines well under 2k.

The Nikon comes in between $650-$800 depending on illumination. So far nothing but praise from all who have had their hand's on one. The BLACK FX1000 is a darn good arguement that you don't have to spend more to get more. Dem., We look forward to your range report.

Reactions: Demolition
Outstanding. I think you will be surprised how many guy's are waiting to read your impression's. I hope you have a good mount as well ?
Thank's !

I have some TPS Rings as well as Some weavers laying around Not sure what I’ll put it in yet . Hopefully ring height being correct .

Ok so I’ve received the FX1000. Here are some of my initial impressions. The glass quality is excellent . Definitely clear thru all mag levels . Light transmission seems excellent as well , even looking thru thick and hazy California smoggy morning I was able to see clearly up at some homes about a 1.5 miles away on a hill. Glass seems to pick up color variations better than my friends Viper Gen II. But it could be my eyes .

Turrets feel excellent. Zero stop design is straight forward and appears solid .

Fast focus eye piece is truly fast haha. Very nice .

Illuminated reticle is ok , at full power can seem cumbersome but i will probably never use illumination anyway but it’s nice that is there.

Some things that I won’t say I completely dislike but might bother some , as we know the reticle can get a little thick for some @ 24 power and also not having the open center reticle can also be a issue for some .Doesn’t bother me but again something consider . Parallax knob on mine seems a little on the stiff side ( probably my biggest gripe if any ) .

Upon laser bore sighting sitting at about 30 yards on a 20 MOA base I used up about 3 Mils . Advertising shows total 17 but like Jeremy pointed out i also got around 20 mil . Weather the reticle is actually moving past 17 is left to be seen on the range . After bore sighting I was left with about 17 + 8 on reticle hold. Well see what the final numbers are .

Sunshade very well made but wished for a cleaner meeting point from scope objective to sunshade . The Objective bell has a slight bevel finished edge on it. When sunshade is on there is a slight gap from the bevel. Again this is purely aesthetics and doesn’t affect the functionality.

I will hopefully be taking it out to the desert and putting rounds down range soon . That will be the true test . Hopefully it tracks well which I have full belief it will . Appears to be very well built from what I can tell . Finish seems good . But time will tell. Over all VERY pleased but I’m no pro or expert . Just my honest feedback. But considering the price and quality/ features this should give Vipers stiff competition and other similar priced optics.

Reactions: Blackedout12v
Ok so I’ve received the FX1000. Here are some of my initial impressions. The glass quality is excellent . Definitely clear thru all mag levels . Light transmission seems excellent as well , even looking thru thick and hazy California smoggy morning I was able to see clearly up at some homes about a 1.5 miles away on a hill. Glass seems to pick up color variations better than my friends Viper Gen II. But it could be my eyes .

Turrets feel excellent. Zero stop design is straight forward and appears solid .

Fast focus eye piece is truly fast haha. Very nice .

Illuminated reticle is ok , at full power can seem cumbersome but i will probably never use illumination anyway but it’s nice that is there.

Some things that I won’t say I completely dislike but might bother some , as we know the reticle can get a little thick for some @ 24 power and also not having the open center reticle can also be a issue for some .Doesn’t bother me but again something consider . Parallax knob on mine seems a little on the stiff side ( probably my biggest gripe if any ) .

Upon laser bore sighting sitting at about 30 yards on a 20 MOA base I used up about 3 Mils . Advertising shows total 17 but like Jeremy pointed out i also got around 20 mil . Weather the reticle is actually moving past 17 is left to be seen on the range . After bore sighting I was left with about 17 + 8 on reticle hold. Well see what the final numbers are .

Sunshade very well made but wished for a cleaner meeting point from scope objective to sunshade . The Objective bell has a slight bevel finished edge on it. When sunshade is on there is a slight gap from the bevel. Again this is purely aesthetics and doesn’t affect the functionality.

I will hopefully be taking it out to the desert and putting rounds down range soon . That will be the true test . Hopefully it tracks well which I have full belief it will . Appears to be very well built from what I can tell . Finish seems good . But time will tell. Over all VERY pleased but I’m no pro or expert . Just my honest feedback. But considering the price and quality/ features this should give Vipers stiff competition and other similar priced optics.

Get some pics for us. Thanks.

It is certainly not bad from the comparison with the Gen 2.

If the turrets track, it's certainly a usable scope.

Reactions: rijndael
How sure are you it’s a strike eagle ?You sure it’s not a PSt gen2 in SFP ?

Can you guys point out how or in what ways the vortex is better in the above photos ?

Attachments

• DC917A64-306E-4064-A920-424EBB833A64.png
    DC917A64-306E-4064-A920-424EBB833A64.png
    413.5 KB · Views: 105
How sure are you it’s a strike eagle ?You sure it’s not a PSt gen2 in SFP ?

Can you guys point out how or in what ways the vortex is better in the above photos ?

Good catch. I deleted my strike eagle comment because, truthfully, I didnt even realize the gen2 PST had a SFP option when I posted... so disregard lol

To my eyes:

1st pic: resolution all-around is better. Slight red hue in Nikon.
2nd pic: most obvious is the bush at 9 o clock with better contrast.
3rd pic: small rocks at bottom half more defined. Nikon looks smeared. Big boulder at 9 o clock is also more detailed.
Branches at 11 o clock distinguishable vs blob.

And yes, just to reinforce the point above, this is the SFP version of the Gen II.

Overall the resolution and the contrast look better in that PST Gen 2. Granted this is a camera taking picture through a scope, but if the images are taken with the same settings, the PST Gen 2 looks to edge out the Nikon.

any chance it's just a not perfect parallax or focus setting on the nikon?