• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nikon Prostaff 4-12x40 Mildot Opinions Wanted

LivnoutdoorsSPC

Private
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2012
Union Grove, WI
Just got an Eblast from Midway with the above mentioned scope in it for $179. I'm looking for a scope to use as a crutch until my Viper HS shows up, once I get it, the prostaff (or whatever scope I go with) will go on my 7mm. Whats your guys opinions on this scope? I plan to put it on LR308 and will probably shoot a maximum of 300y with it (longer yardage when I get the Viper). Thanks!

Re: Nikon Prostaff 4-12x40 Mildot Opinions Wanted

Livin, In 2011 Nikon reworked a large part of the PROSTAFF Series Scopes. A major benefit is the finger turned turrets and fully coated optics.

I think you will be pleased and that choice on your LR-308 for the time being.
I even welcome you to give us your opinion about the scope after some range time. I used that same scope ( different reticle) on my DPMS LR-308 last year for deer hunting. 4:4 with the longest shot being just under 400 yards using Spot On and the BDC Reticle.

LikeI said, if you decide to use one, please pass your results along.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LivnoutdoorsSPC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does that mean that the scope would work best for holds, but not for dialing in dope? </div></div>

that means your only option is holding for range. if you try and dial your turret you will unsight the gun

427, I have done box tests with many PROSTAFF Scopes and not had a problem getting back to zero. These Turrets are also zero reset so you can turn to zero after sighting in, then make your adjustments and return to your original zero.
I have read many reviews about guys who have put these scopes through numerous tests and been very happy with what they found.
Is this scope comparable to a Nightforce, No. It's a very good entry level scope that will perform very well. I also think a blanket statement about horrible tracking is unfair and unture. If you have/had one that had a problem, Nikon's Full Lifetime warranty will make things right.

IMHO.

I've used the new prostaff on a 22LR, 223, and 308 and have only good things to say about it. Shooting 8'' plate up to 400 yards(ish) was a walk in the park Nikon is one of the best deals for the buck, and the Prostaff is an excellent scope and great for all around entry level. Like Bart said, its not a Nightforce, but it WILL shoot a box and does have repeatability which is so essential when investing into a scope.

I think you'll be quite happy with the Prostaff. Once you look thru the glass you'll be very happy.

Trevor B.

Thanks for the info! I already own a prostaff 3-9x40, but was just curious if the quality of that line had gone down at all.

if i had had tracking issues with 1 i would not make such a bold statement, but since ive had the exact same issues with 3 i think its a fair statement that they dont track. i was using holdovers on those rifles so tracking didnt matter, plus 2 or the 3 i bought used. to the best of my knowlege nikon only warrentys the original owner.

the worst of the 3 i put on a 22, sighted in at 50, dialed out to 225 (i think defintally over 200) and returned to my original zero and was off by about 6 inches.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barton Hege</div><div class="ubbcode-body">427, I have done box tests with many PROSTAFF Scopes and not had a problem getting back to zero. These Turrets are also zero reset so you can turn to zero after sighting in, then make your adjustments and return to your original zero.
I have read many reviews about guys who have put these scopes through numerous tests and been very happy with what they found.
Is this scope comparable to a Nightforce, No. It's a very good entry level scope that will perform very well. I also think a blanket statement about horrible tracking is unfair and unture. If you have/had one that had a problem, Nikon's Full Lifetime warranty will make things right.

IMHO.

</div></div>

Ive been shooting Nikon scopes for about 15yrs and have yet to have any tracking issues. I shot steel shoots at my range with my 22 out to 200yds using Mils or cranking with no problems at all. On my M4 I use an M223 scope and crank the hell out of it during the match. Last match I shot a 248/250 so I guess it tracks. Sure you can get a bad scope but Nikon will fix it. Overall best bang for the buck and the Spot On software really makes things simple.

427, Nikon's Warranty is for who ever owns the scope. 2nd,3rd, does not matter. If you still have the scopes and there is a problem Nikon WILL stand behind what they make. I would be happy to help you wait any warranty issues. Just let me know how I can help?

Nikon Prostaff 4 X 12 X 40 BDC

Livin, In 2011 Nikon reworked a large part of the PROSTAFF Series Scopes. A major benefit is the finger turned turrets and fully coated optics.

I think you will be pleased and that choice on your LR-308 for the time being.
I even welcome you to give us your opinion about the scope after some range time. I used that same scope ( different reticle) on my DPMS LR-308 last year for deer hunting. 4:4 with the longest shot being just under 400 yards using Spot On and the BDC Reticle.

LikeI said, if you decide to use one, please pass your results along.

I currently own four of these scopes and have enjoyed most of my time with them. I recently dropped my 270 and now it won't hold a zero. I purchased a new one last week from Wal Mart for my girl friends new 243 and after a box of shells determined it won't hold a zero either. I have another new one coming from Dicks Sporting goods and I hope I have better luck. I am curious though. Does Wal Mart get the scopes that don't meet the same specifications as other stores? They were just successfully sued for selling ammo that is defective. I wonder if they are saving money with other products as well. I think they are good scopes if you handle them with tender hands.

I am a big Nikon fan and have this particular model on my Remington 700 LH .308. Using my personal handloaded 168 MK at 2600 fps, it dopes in perfectly according to my ballistics calculator for every range. Very good, durable, inexpensive scope that I intend to stick with. Must be those sub-1" groups I keep shooting at 400 and beyond...

I keep finding the older Buckmaster AO scopes at gun shows for cheap. Just bought a 6-18x40 for $125 w/target turrets two weekends ago at the last show. He was asking $140. Not a scratch on it. Got a couple 4.5x14's also. I think the world of the Nikon lower line of scopes. Best bang for the buck IMHO. I've got two 4-12 Prostaffs. One on a .243 and the other on an AR. No issues at all.

Attachments

• IMG_0511.JPG
    IMG_0511.JPG
    999.8 KB · Views: 38
All of those refuburbished scopes at retailers tell me all I need to know about them.

There are plenty of refurbs out there. I avoid them and the retail tables. Mine have came from private good ole boys tables that have mostly old reloading gear, overpriced brass, .22 ammo that's 30+ yrs. old that they want $40 a brick, and other odd ball items. The guys that do it because they're retired and just love to be a part of the crowd even if they don't make a buck or sell a damn thing. They're the ones I enjoy giving my time to. Every once in a while they'll part with a scope off one of their varmint rifles or something else a guy could use. Maybe even some useful knowledge and a story to boot.

The point I was trying to make is that those refurbished scopes are broken scopes that have been fixed. If there's a high enough number for them that major retailers have pages dedicated to refurbished models for sale it tells me that the failure rate is higher than I care to gamble with.

The point I was trying to make is that those refurbished scopes are broken scopes that have been fixed. If there's a high enough number for them that major retailers have pages dedicated to refurbished models for sale it tells me that the failure rate is higher than I care to gamble with.

I knew what you were getting at. I agree 100% with you. I've seen them. They're only on my small caliber rifles that the kids shoot mostly. I'm a Leupold guy. Just can't afford to have one on every firearm. Plus the fact they're an hour down the road right here in Oregon is helpful.