• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Noise cancelling ear protection...

Ok, here is my question since I am in the market as well.

Has anyone doubled up electronic protection. In ear noise canceling with electronic muffs over the top. Example EEP100 with Howard Leight Muffs over the top. Seems like the best of both worlds.....

I run Sordins with EARasers under them when shooting anything with a brake. It is by far the best combo I have found.

Has anyone found a set of ear plugs that work well when shooting under a roof? My range has tin roof over the length of the concrete slab and I've never been able to find an "in-the-ear only" solution that works by itself. I always end up having to put a set of cans over top of the plugs. Has anyone tried the Otto's plugs while shooting under a roof?

Is there any difference between the EEP-100 and TEP-100?

As far as I know the TEP are black, and the EEP are lime green, the charging case is different, the TEP case can recharge with AA batteries, the EEP is can't

Reactions: Adam B
I've only had them on the shooting range so far (fairly new) and haven't used them in the field yet. They do seem to give some sense of direction for ambient sounds. And yes, the Saf-T-Ear appears to be rebranded OTTO Noizebarriers , with OTTO focusing on the "tactical" market and Saf-T-Ear on the industrial/commercial market. That being the case, if you already have the OTTOs you can probably get the custom molded sleeves for them from Ear Inc. You'll want to ask them about the Chameleon sleeves (custom molds) for the Saf-T-Ear. Let me know if you have any additional questions. Maybe I'll post some photos later when I get a chance.
Thanks Mute,
I went ahead and picked up a pair of these from Botach. I've had a chance to use them a few times and I am so impressed I ordered a pair for my wife and for my son.
My first session with them was at the range. They handled pistol fire, ar-15 with brake, and my MPA 6.5 CM with MPA brake. I did buy the comply hear clearly foam tips for these and I highly recommend them.
They do take a little getting used to, they do not cut out the sound completely when the db limit is hit. They just simply cut the sound down (compress is the correct term I think). For the first bit, I was finding myself flinching/wincing with my rifles. NOt because it was too loud, but because I was so use to my Peltors completely cutting the sound. My reaction for the first spit second was, crap, I forgot my ear protection. Once I got use to the difference , the flinch/wince went away.
It's hard to explain, but it did not take long for me to love these.
I shot rifles for hours that day, all with brakes and no ringing, no fatigue, etc.
I have had them out hunting dove 4 times in the last two weeks and they handle a 12ga shotgun with ease.
They are also the best I have ever used for directional awareness. Better than any muffs I've had and I've also had Walkers and Axil in-ears.
AZ early season Dove is always hot, and these are the ticket for ditching the muffs and being able ot hear your hunting buddies and birds.

Justin

Reactions: Mute
I have a pair of Peltors that I use for work and shooting. If you are willing to spend the money this is an awesome piece of gear to have.

thanks. Let me know.
It does work but with some quirks. The EEP-100 amplify any conduction from your movement or the pads on the muffs. It is far from 'natural' sounding. The amplification on the EEP-100 seems lackluster, but may be more of an issue if its frequency response Vs where my hearing loss is. It did allow better hearing of hits and range commands for me over a foam plug.

I have not tried shooting with the EEP-100 as standalone protection. I think most of the 'un natural' sound is newer electronic muffs just plain suck compared to the circuits and components on my ancient Peltor 6-S.