• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

noob caliber questions???

lbarton

Private
Minuteman
May 9, 2011
hello all!! i run a 1970's Rem model 788 in .243, basically perfect for michigan deer and anything else smaller. I love the gun alot and the caliber. BUT my dad has been talking about going out west (northern arizona) to go hunting as we can get our licenses for cheap there. I am looking for a good caliber for large game/distance. I really personally dont like 30-06, the main reason being the in-laws all have them and brag so much about there 06's haha. so what caliber should i look at? the ones ive read about in the caliber sticky is 300winmag,300wsm,30-06,7mm-08, maybe .308... 30-06 recoil is tolerable. my dads friend reloads so i have that option, also would like to be able to buy ammo from popular retail stores. any help will be appretiated, thanks - Levi
IMG01315-20110430-1457.jpg

Re: noob caliber questions???

dude.........

complete your profile, sit on your hands, and take a hint here........

run you 788 , practice a lot, get the trigger worked on by a professional, and get some good glass,
trust ME when i tell you that you will be able to bring anything down in arizona you wish at most any distance with that rig ....

I guess i just want a bigger caliber just to shoot and have some fun with, but the 243 is the main hunter for me. I have a bushnell that im gonna throw on it (not that its anything to brag about but better magnification, it has a tasco on it that was purchased in '73 (i think my dad said) that was last sighted in, in '86 and hasn't been adjusted since and is still dead on @ 150 yds. I dont do too much hunting, don't do any competitions just like shooting with my dad and friends... my bad for the noob thread

I would say you should spend some time in the caliber thread - i think its a sticky in this forum section.

I would recommend going with a .308 just because for many it seams to be a great balance and an all around crowd pleaser..

If i was building a rig for out west and had to choose one caliber i would go with 7mm...

Hope that helped.

just remember shot placement is key, i have taken many elk with my .243 plenty of knock down power.

I think you would have alot of fun with 7mm rem mag,excellent choices of store bought ammo. 280 is also excellent but you should reload it to wring the most out of it.

I live and hunt here in Utah and my sister inlaw hunts both Mule Deer and Elk with her 243 and has taken quite a few Mulies. I just bought a 260 for my all around hunting cal. You can't go wrong with any of the calibers that you listed but you already have a jam up rifle! Good luck.

x2 on the 7mm Mag. Thats what we use a lot of out west here
smile.gif
. I also really like the .264 winmag but finding ammo can get a bit tough.

300wm is cool, but I think its a bit big for elk, just my opinion.

Also look at 270, thats my favorite all around cartridge. I have been able to take elk in excess of 400-500 yds with a 130g out of a 270.

+1 for the 270. But the 243 is a sweet cartridge too. Flat trajectory low recoil. Hard to argue with that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lafayette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would say you should spend some time in the caliber thread - i think its a sticky in this forum section.

I would recommend going with a .308 just because for many it seams to be a great balance and an all around crowd pleaser..

If i was building a rig for out west and had to choose one caliber i would go with 7mm...

Hope that helped. </div></div>

+2 for the .308