• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Noob here with a noob question!

CCRBUM

Private
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2009
hey guys I just ordered a Remington 700 SPS tactical in .223 so that I can start working on more accurate shooting and my ability to shoot well. I really like the remington 700's and the SPS tactical seemed to be a pretty good gun for the price minus the stock. What I'm trying to find out, and forgive me if this is a stupid question, good ammo to shoot through it and it's compatibility with 5.56. I understand the difference between the .223 and the 5.56 but I was reading the other day about the potential compatibility between the .223 rifles and a 5.56 round. I didn't really understand what was being said though... I think it was talking about the neck or something slightly longer on the 5.56 and something about where the bullet slides into the barrel needing to be a certain depth in order for it to fit without causing jamming or other problems. Like I said noob question! but any advice on this would be great. Please educate me
eek.gif

Re: Noob here with a noob question!

Your SPS tactical should digest just about anything you feed it. If you want extreme accuracy, I would suggest hand loading. Otherwise, there are match ammo such as BH which are good to go, but they can be expensive. What is the twist rate on your SPS?

it's a 1:9... that's why i picked it over a SPS V because those have a 1:12.. so can it handle the 5.56 running through it? Thanks for the help!

Don't shoot a 5.56 NATO cartridge in a rifle designed only for .223 Rem. Pressure specifications for 5.56 NATO are higher than that of .223 Rem. If your rifle is designed for 5.56 NATO than it is ok to shoot 5.56 NATO and .223 Rem. The Remington SPS Tactical is designed and chambered for the .223 Rem round NOT the 5.56 NATO.

yeah that's what I had thought but after reading that article it seemed like there were exceptions to that rule unless I was just reading it wrong.