• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Nordic Components NC22 Dedicated Upper Receiver

NOMAD

Owner of the Trailer Park
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 7, 2001
    Hugo
    Just got my Nordic Components NC22 Upper in today. I slapped it together and took some pics. I will be wearing this bad boy out the rest of the week on the range.

It will then make the trip to PA this weekend for the Ruger Rimfire challenge.

I will give a full report next week as well as you will see a product review on the Team Blaster site and also my blog.

Here is Nordics Link http://shop.nordiccomp.com/

NC22-1.jpg

NC22-3.jpg

NC22-4.jpg

NC22-5.jpg

NC22-6.jpg

NC22-7.jpg

NC22-8.jpg

NC22-9.jpg

NC22-10.jpg

Re: Nordic Components NC22 Dedicated Upper Receiver

Tim and the boys did an outstanding job on these.

Nordic has definitely set a new bar for 22 uppers....these things rock.

Tim had 4 prototypes at the Superstition Mountain Mystery 3 Gun this last spring in March. He was loading mags and letting guys shoot them in one of the unused bays....200 shooters punished them for three days....I didn't see nor hear of a single hiccup.

Enjoy
    laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cegorach</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would love to hear about accuracy. </div></div>

+1

I got to play with the very first produced test model of this an I have to say they are AWESOME I want one bad

Is yours a 16" with a rifle length handguard?.....and yours has a full length top rail. I didn't see those options on their web page. Looks great.

Yes mine is a 16 inch gun with a full length tube and a full rail.

The rail and the full length tube are add on's to the system.

As for accuracy I zeroed iron sights at 25 yards with it. I shot at 3 inch grey circles. It was a bit hard to see while zeroing. I was just using a front rest with no rear bag and I was coming below the circle and back up just trying to get the gun to shoot within a 3 inch cirle. I was getting roughly 3 1/2 inch groups with iron sights on average.

I then took the iron sights off to zero the red dot and at 25 yards I was able to keep it under 2 inches per group.

I then put up a 6 inch bullseye and started fring 2 shot pairs standing at 25 yards shooting them as fast as possible. I did this 15 times for 30 total rounds and all 30 rounds were in the 6 inch bullseye.

I then went to 50 yards and shot 6 inch plate racks. I was able to hit 6 inch plates all day ith this rifle setup.

Plain and simple i am not trying to shoot sub 1 inch groups with this rifle. Its simply a Blaster
    smile.gif
    that is going to allow me to run and gun and practice for 3 gun competetion at a fraction of the price of waisting .223.

I have had mine 4 days and I have fired over 2500 rounds thru it and I have had not one malfunction or failure to feed with it. I even fired a 30 round magazine as fast as i could thinking this thing will jam and no luck it just wanted more ammo.

If you are looking for a fun toy that runs this is it. If we get enough interest I am sure I can get a group buy for uppers if you guys want.

Just post the interest here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If we get enough interest I am sure I can get a group buy for uppers if you guys want.
    </div></div>

Hey Tony that would be GREAT. I know I would buy one.

I also have a Nodic Components kit for my 10/22. With this kit you are able to put ar parts on it. I have mine set-up with iron sights.

OK here is the deal I talked with Nordic and they are going to offer to any memeber of SH that wants to roder one of these.

This is on the 16 inch model with mid-length tube with standarded barrel with bird cage.

Price is $450

You need to call Nordic at 877-549-9893 ask for Ken or Ryan and start you would like to take advantage of the special $450 pricing for Snipers Hide Members.

Happy Shooting

Zia Shooter 1 - yes the thread pitch is 1/2 x 28 so you can unscrew it and add a can or different brake!!
    smile.gif

How long for the group buy? Have to let the wife cool down a bit after the $3500 I dropped on guns last month....

They didnt give me a end time.

I know they have a bunch ready to ship so maybe until supplies run out or until they tell me the discount is up.

Thanks Tony...nice deal and good fellas. My kids and I are looking forward to playing with this upper!

Anytime you will love it. The guys at work here are buying them up. 2 uppers came in last night and the guys are on the range right now burning them up.

Mine is 2200+ rounds no malfunctions no cleaning!!

Just placed my order about a half hour ago. Should ship today. Can't wait.

Thanks Nomad for the great review I have to ask do you think this is a better upper than say spikes I am a spikes dealer and get 100 off the best upper .Your looked really nice and my 12 year old is hungry always for more guns I dont get guns any more just him and his little brother 10 year old .I had a nice stash till baby sniper gave me a real shake down ak 47 ammo at half 17hmr gone 45 acp missing in action 38 & 357 a hand full good god man are you sell the ammo kid they he ran off with my new lanber Over & under after getting a beradelli trap in august for his birthday . Hes starting to eye the 308 fodder and starting bumping away with the 50 cal bmg I am about ready to adopt him out to a rich ammo maker some where I guess be proud and looking at his mother with the big piles of ducks and geese he he thinking about a 20 mm canon or lati anti tank rifle see how he like that 10 year old talked me into a 9mm sumi semi wit 71 shot drum guess it time to dust off the 550 dillon and buy some 9mm makins palehorse out

Here is a promo code for 10% off anything from Nordic Components good until the end of the year.

You can use this to purchase directly thru there site.
    SH-NORDIC-2010

Pale Horse I hear you man!!

We had a few different .22 uppers out here at work last week. One was the above mentioned brand and a few others.

The Nordic one ran every type of ammo we thru at it with no issues. The others had issues.

We had 3 guys order these the same day after this testing and they got them in hand monday and we ran theirs yesterday with no problems.

So reliability has been 100%.

I am sure you will be happy with it.

Hope this helps.

Got mine on order Monday so I missed out on the group buy but thats the story of my life. I also got the burris 1-4x midway tac30 scope to put on top. So if all the parts come in I will have it all together to shoot on Sunday. Can't Wait!!!!

Pushed another 800 rounds thru the gun this week with no issues!!

smile.gif
    most fun with a .22 on the planet!!

Got my upper yesterday. Between me and the kids many, many cans have died all around the yard. Love the set up and having a nice trigger from one of my existing lowers. Not one hiccup so far. I put a Vortex SPARC red dot on mine.

If you guys keep bumping this thread you're going to end up convincing me to buy one instead of waiting on my custom upper.

I have owned a few "custom 22lr" uppers and I will tell you from first hand experience the Nordic NC22 upper it better, it runs every type of ammo and it is just as accurate

i know huh? must resist, must stop reading

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have owned a few "custom 22lr" uppers ... and it is just as accurate </div></div>

See now that's the kind of shit I'm talking about
    grin.gif

I'll probably pick one of these up eventually as a carbine trainer. But... not... now...

I was hoping mine would have been here yesterday but it looks like I have to wait until Monday. Have the scope all mounted up in the Larue mount and ready to drop right on.

I'm really (dreading) waiting for an accuracy report from your upper Rob01.

Thanks for the heads up. Gonna have to get one of those.

Dont fight it minds well get the best one going and never look back!! I wish they would have done this long ago it woulkd have saved me money and headaches!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NOMAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dont fight it minds well get the best one going and never look back!! I wish they would have done this long ago it woulkd have saved me money and headaches!!

</div></div>

+1000000000000000

Yes those are black dog mags!! They are running good!!

Damn it I have to quit lookin at these things! How long is NC going to offer the SH discount on the uppers or does the code you mentioned good for that as well?

The code will work for it as well. They are selling alot of them fast.

Right now they have enough built and ready to ship basically same day. Once they get buried they will end up having a waiting list.

Alot of my guys are work are ordering and the things have been ordering and the uppers have been here in about 3-4 days.

Okay, so I've compiled a list of questions to see if I can be convinced to buy one of these instead of going with my current plan.

1. Which style of Black Dog magazines does it use?
    2. It says it uses a proprietary bolt design, does it also use a proprietary barrel design?
    3. It is not a "mil-spec" upper receiver, correct?

I ran the plastic mags. The other guy from Nordic last weekend ran both the plastic and the steel mags no issues.

As for the bolt design here is a pic. It is a squarish bolt design not like normal AR bolts and carriers!!
    IMG_0477.jpg

Yes the receiver is MIL-Spec forging that is machined to take the squared bolt/carrier design

Hope this helps

Clarifications on my questions:

1. I was wondering if it used the same BDM magazines as the Atchisson design or some other pattern.

2. I was wondering about the barrel and does it also use the Atchisson-style barrel extension (judging from the bolt picture I'm going to guess no)

3. I assume this means it would not be able to be converted to a center fire upper receiver in the future (i.e. simple barrel swap)?

The reason I ask is I'm not a big fan of proprietary "stuff" and the Atchisson/Ciener style seems to be the most popular style of .22 setup.

Thank you for answering my questions, NOMAD.

Hey Jon

I have no clue on the Atchisson design of mags and barrel extension. I will call and find out.

Correct it will be a dedicated .22 LR the upper is machined to run that new style bolt that offers the increased reliability.

I am running some plastic Black Dog magazines on my NC-22 that I found on clearance at Cabelas...the description stated:

"designed for Tactical Solutions AR-22 conversion, but works with Attchison/Ciener, CMMB, Spikes Tactical Uppers."

Here is the reply to he questions from Nordics Lead Engineer.

Clarifications on my questions:

1. I was wondering if it used the same BDM magazines as the Atchisson design or some other pattern.

<span style="color: #FF0000"> The NC22 can use any Ceiner/Atchisson style magazine. We recommend the Black Dog Magazines. The CMMG mags will work as well. These are about the 2 most readily availible magazines on the market today. If you are wanting steel lipped mags, the ciener mags are availible and Black Dog machine will be coming out with a steel lipped magazine in the near future.</span>

2. I was wondering about the barrel and does it also use the Atchisson-style barrel extension (judging from the bolt picture I'm going to guess no)
    <span style="color: #FF0000">No, the barrel is machined with the feed ramp on already.</span>

3. I assume this means it would not be able to be converted to a center fire upper receiver in the future (i.e. simple barrel swap)?
    <span style="color: #FF0000"> No, the receiver, while being a mil spec forging is machined specifically for our square bolt design. Uppers are only about $90 anyways.</span>

The reason I ask is I'm not a big fan of proprietary "stuff" and the Atchisson/Ciener style seems to be the most popular style of .22 setup.

<span style="color: #FF0000">Most popular does not always meant he best. There are atleast 4 inherent problems with the current atchisson/ciener design. Remember, that design was made to be an insert in a military weapon and not as a dedicated upper.
    1) Bolts are basically, too light. This narrows your spring/friction window with a blow back design. We were able to make our bolt as heavy as the Ruger 10/22 so that we could open up that spring/friction window. This means that you will be able to have a more reliable functioning weapon with less cleanings and/or maintainence inbetween. It is not uncommon for our uppers to runn thru 2000+ rounds before needing a cleaning or re-lube. Obviously, we'd recommend you clean it before the 2000 round mark.
    2) The bolts have minimal ramping and the the hammer used is very picky, most of the ciener style designs require a rounded hammer....notch hammers will not function in these uppers. Also, because the ramping is so short, the bolt on the forward stroke literally jams the hammer forward.....into the hammer pin, which can elongate your hammer pin holes in your lower.
    3) Extractors used in the ciener set ups have been known not to extract unfired rounds.
    4) Ciener style firing pins are known to break often.

When we designed our upper, we looked at the most reliable 22rf rifle on the market and used those design features within our design. This rifle being the Ruger 10/22. We used the square bolt design to acheive the same weight. Used an actually 10/22 factory extractor (and it can be swapped out for after market extractors). We made our ramp longer so that our bolt would would in the exact same way as an M16/AR15 bolt.....the benifit of this is that you can use literally any hammer, or after market trigger group with our rifle and acheive a reliable functioning weapon. Our firing pin is esentially a shortened AR15 fireing pin....made by the same companies that make the AR15 firing and using the same mat'l and manufacturing process. We've 'heard' of AR15 firing pins breaking.....but have never seen one. To date, none of our firing pins have broken nor needed to be replaced.

TO be fair, there are alot of ciener style uppers out there that work and work well and have never had a problem, however, there are also alot out there that have. With 10million plus ruger 10/22's out on the market, there are also a few problem childs but no where the percentages of the ciener design.

We understand the concept of having common parts if parts are going to fail, however, if a propietary design lends its self to better reliability and longevity; it would be an advantage.

Tim</span>
    Hope this helps answer the questions.

Thanks for the pointer, Tony. A few days ago I ordered the 20" version that Rob posted; hopefully it'll be waiting for me tomorrow. I'm excited about the prospect of a RELIABLE .22 AR setup...

Sweet! I really want a 22 dedicated UPPER for my AR___just can not spring for it right now..trying to finish off a couple of centerfires