• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Normal variance for within box bullet weights?

RldrNewby

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2020
Recently got some 140g Barnes Match Burners shooting really well in my rifle, but on a whim today, I decided to weigh up a few before loading a whole block. The bullet weights seemed to vary a good bit, so I decided to sort the whole box. I don’t know if the amount of weight variance I got would be considered normal or abnormal? Out of a partial opened box of 500, I got bullet weights that ranged from 139.7 all the way up to 140.5g. I realize these projectiles are likely not considered top tier, but they were economical and available, and they are shooting well. I’m tryin to squeak a little more out of them, & was curious if the bullet weight variance I encountered would be considered on par with other brand bullets. I have not done in depth checks on base to ogive measurements yet, but did notice the loaded COL lengths varied more than I liked, although the CBTOs were nice & tight.

1627007469191.jpeg

seems about normal for barnes/hornady/etc.
If berger or lapua (or boutique makers) did that, id be annoyed. Ive never noticed an issue on paper or steel though for my purposes.
Same.
I had some hornadys, via midways dumbass repackaged boxes that you never know what lots actually made up their 500 count jumble box, that I sorted and they were about that.
Couldn't tell the difference between the sorted batches but they didn’t shoot all that amazingly to start with.

Thanks. Sounds like I got what I paid for. They’ve done good at close distances, but I haven’t pushed em long yet. I’ll prolly just run em sorted. Guessin it won’t matter at 500 & in, but will at least give me a warm fuzzy when I try pushin em to 1000.