• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Nosler Bal.Tip vs. Hornady A-max

MrXtreme

Private
Minuteman
Jun 16, 2010
Sweden
Hi!
Just decided to take my 6.5x47Lapua for the deerhunting this season, before i have always used 150grs BT´s in my 308W. What .264 bullet (120-130grs) should i have? The maximum range will be about 250yds. Humane kills is most important for me!

Thanks
Tommy

Re: Nosler Bal.Tip vs. Hornady A-max

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrXtreme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi!
Just decided to take my 6.5x47Lapua for the deerhunting this season, before i have always used 150grs BT´s in my 308W. What .264 bullet (120-130grs) should i have? The maximum range will be about 250yds. Human kills is most important for me!

Thanks
Tommy </div></div>

What sort of deer, for the larger sorts and at that rather limited range I would suggest the 130 grain AB or TSX for the larger deer and for smallish deer,

just go with the 123 A-max, I am trying them out my self.

Best regard Chris

FWIW:

Any good deer bullet between 12 and 140 grains will be fine with that cartridge and maximum range. So I would use the Ballistic Tip.

I note that you are in Sweden, what deer bullet do they use in the 6.5x55?

BMT

can you get Barnes TTSX? I like the AMAX but I just think a bonded bullet is better for killing deer. I know AMAX will kill deer but I just don't choose to use it for killing deer. You can also look at the Nosler Accubond bullet too.

The Amaxs have worked great on all the deer we have shot with them. All one shot kills, and the most one ran was 25yrds. 300-510 yards. 7mm and 30cal.

I'm using the 129 grain Hornady SST in my 6.5...they have always produced "bang, flop" performance for me..

and just for the record...you meant "humane" right?

Let me tell ya....I'm a big fan of the A-Max for deer - I shoot a 208 A-Max out of my .300WM for deer.

Shot one today, hit it high and in the spine - Hardly damaged any meat, but it sent a golf ball size piece of spine shooting downwards inside of the deer which took out its lung and liver.

Needless to say the deer was DRT - Even had a full bladder after field dressing..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swedish guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrXtreme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi!
Just decided to take my 6.5x47Lapua for the deerhunting this season, before i have always used 150grs BT´s in my 308W. What .264 bullet (120-130grs) should i have? The maximum range will be about 250yds. Human kills is most important for me!

Thanks
Tommy </div></div>

What sort of deer, for the larger sorts and at that rather limited range I would suggest the 130 grain AB or TSX for the larger deer and for smallish deer,

just go with the 123 A-max, I am trying them out my self.

Best regard Chris</div></div>

I´m only shooting roedeer with that, because of the bulletweight!
grin.gif

Tommy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bmt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FWIW:

Any good deer bullet between 12 and 140 grains will be fine with that cartridge and maximum range. So I would use the Ballistic Tip.

BMT </div></div>
In Sweden we can only shoot roedeer with bullets weight less than 139grs.
I think the most of the hunters use 140grs. Partition & 156grs. Oryx loaded by Norma.

Tommy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jayhawker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm using the 129 grain Hornady SST in my 6.5...they have always produced "bang, flop" performance for me..

and just for the record...you meant "humane" right? </div></div>
Sorry, i meant "humane"
I´ll test the 129grs. Interbond, i have a box of them!

Tommy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bmt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FWIW:

BMT </div></div>

Most people/hunters will shoot the same rounds as they do for moose,

that is a min of 140 grains

and the most common ones are 156-160 grains, Lapua Mega, Norma Oryx, Nosler Partition, Norma Alaska,

and then in falling order Barnes TSX, Woodleigh weldcore, Hornady SST/Interbond and so on.

If I were using a 6,5x55 for deer, then due to the normal tvist for the cal I would use a 120 grain Bal tip and go for behind the shoulder shots.

Most swedish hunters will not take shots longer than 120 meters and there are no neck/headshots, ever, never.

I am no longer like most hunters.

/Chris

Either bullet would make a great deer round. I like the 140's in the 6.5 caliber. For deer hunting you can buy the more expensive bullets that some have recommended-if you have money to waste. They are not a dimes bit better for deer hunting. However they are the "cool" bullet too shoot right now. It's your money, so do as you like. But the A-Max, Sierra Game King, or BT will do a perfectly fine job.

Expensive controlled expansion bullets just plain aren't necessary for thin skinned deer. Heck I do most of my deer hunting with bullets that I cast myself. A jacketed bullet is not even necessary for deer. Tom.

+1 on GameKings and A-max's. I use 155 gr on both out of my 300 WSM, and the result is 90% one shot drop...... have had one run 50 yards on, that is the farthest to date. All coyotes have dropped, the deer is what ran. 8 deer, 32 coyotes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take a look at the 130gr Swift Scirocco.</div></div>

Big +1 on that.....

On the limited game ive taken with an A-max it has worked well every time.

Cant comment on the Noslers as I havnt used one yet

i have used the nosler 120g bt in my 6.5 wsm, was a bang flop at 150 yards. it was the only one i have shot with it so far but am confident it will be a repeat on the next one.