• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Nosler Brass WTF!!

ProAudio

ProAudio
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2017
LaGrange, GA
I purchased 400 brass cases from Nosler. 200 in 7mmMag and 200 in 6.5 CM. I am losing a minimum of 10 cases per 100 Everytime I fire them. The loss is because of loose primer pockets. So loose that the primers just fall out during reload. I am not using a primer pocket cleaner since my tumbler is doing an amazing job of getting my brass spotless. Do I have any chance of getting some sort of replacement from Nosler or should I not waste my time and just pick different brass. If I should get different brass please let me know what you recommend for each caliber. Shooting practical benchrest.

I’ve never understood why anyone would pay that kind of money for brass when they could have lapua for the same or cheaper? Yes, I understand they don’t make 7 Rem. For creedmoor though, no brainer.

Reactions: RTH1800
I have no problem changing to Lapua. I was under the impression that Nosler was a premium product and it appears that I was wrong.

I tried some nosler 260 brass once.
It did the same thing, Loose pockets super fast.

Started using Cheaper necked up Winchester brass and got awesome life.

ADG brass brass is a great option.

Reactions: ProAudio
Isn’t Nosler brand made by Norma? I seem to recall that. I’ve found them both to act the same way, very soft.
I agree with 918v, regardless of the brass quality, continuing to reload cases with the same charge despite losing them to enlarged pockets is just ignoring a glaring pressure sign.

Reactions: MarinePMI
Hmm.. I got 500 unprep Nosler brass from shooters pro shop when it went on sale. Use and still using 250 of them for my .223. A little hot, loaded with RL15, 77 gn pills, Rem 7 1/2 primers. On my 9th reload on the brass. No primers falling.. Though I also use Lapua brass too. After primers start to fall off, thats another sign for me to discard. Well besides crack necks..

I purchased 400 brass cases from Nosler. 200 in 7mmMag and 200 in 6.5 CM. I am losing a minimum of 10 cases per 100 Everytime I fire them. The loss is because of loose primer pockets. So loose that the primers just fall out during reload. I am not using a primer pocket cleaner since my tumbler is doing an amazing job of getting my brass spotless. Do I have any chance of getting some sort of replacement from Nosler or should I not waste my time and just pick different brass. If I should get different brass please let me know what you recommend for each caliber. Shooting practical benchrest.
What are your load details?

Im betting Ill say "That much powder WTF!!"

I tried some when Nosler first brought out the 22-250 brass. I found that my standard 22-250 AI fire forming load was blowing primers. Started to weight the cases for comparison against Remington and Winchester, found Nosler brass was the heaviest by a bunch. Reduced case capacity was the cause of the pressure problem, so I trashed the rest of the brass. I’m sure if I took the time to reduce the load weight they would of worked. I had too many of Rem and Win brass to waste my time on a reduced load for the Nosler brass. If I need new brass, Lapua would be my first choice.

I'm pretty sure no company would send you replacement brass because you're blowing out primer pockets with a hot load.

I have used a lot of Norma/Nosler brass, and yes it is on the soft end of the spectrum. I get hard lift, bolt swipes, and ejector marks when working towards the upper end long before the primer pockets crap out.

My loads are as follows:
7mm Mag - RL22 61.5gr , Berger 180gr VLD, Federal gold match primers
6.5CM - H4350 42.4gr , 147gr hornady, federal large rifle primers

I had zero case issues when i was using Hornady brass for my 7Mag and i have only tried the Nosler for 6.5CM. after several conversations, I will be trying the Lapua brass for my 6.5CM. I am really struggling to find good 7Mag brass. The hornady held up really well but there was so much case to case discrepancy that i wanted to kick it up a notch and try something better. I am open to suggestions on 7Mag brass. This exact same load lasted 8+ reloads on the Hornady brass with ZERO case problems.

I am open to suggestions on 7Mag brass.

Not available right now, but use up your Nosler until it is.

Not available right now, but use up your Nosler until it is.

what is your experience with this companies products? i have never heard them mentioned so i am curious about their quality and workmanship.

Last edited:
it appears to be a new product not yet released. what is your experience with this companies products? i have never heard them mentioned so i am curious about their quality and workmanship.

They just came out with brass for my 300 PRC and I've been very happy with it. Extremely consistent. Until they released this, the only brass available for the PRC was Hornady (which I dislike). I was prepping and fire forming 8x68S brass, which got me very good results. Now that ADG is out with theirs, it saves me all the prep and fire forming. RWS is top notch brass, and I'm getting very similar SDs (5.x) with ADG.

My loads are as follows:
7mm Mag - RL22 61.5gr , Berger 180gr VLD, Federal gold match primers

I had zero case issues when i was using Hornady brass for my 7Mag and i have only tried the Nosler for 6.5CM. after several conversations, I will be trying the Lapua brass for my 6.5CM. I am really struggling to find good 7Mag brass. The hornady held up really well but there was so much case to case discrepancy that i wanted to kick it up a notch and try something better. I am open to suggestions on 7Mag brass. This exact same load lasted 8+ reloads on the Hornady brass with ZERO case problems.

How much heavier is your Nosler brass vs Hornady?

@ProAudio on a whim I checked RWS's offerings - here ya go

EDIT: Note that it's expensive, but you earn some of it back with its longevity. It's good stuff.

oh boy.... well, im not usually concerned with what a component cost, however at almost $3 per case its quite a bit more than i would normally spend. i really appreciated the recommendation and i might actually come down to that soon.

oh boy.... well, im not usually concerned with what a component cost, however at almost $3 per case its quite a bit more than i would normally spend. i really appreciated the recommendation and i might actually come down to that soon.

I agree with the cost thing - though I was so frustrated with Hornady that it was worth it :)

i have read the 7Mag reloading depot page and it seems like most are using the remington brass. i know its usually available, but in my experience its highly inconsistent from case-to-case. am i right in thinking that it would ok for hunting but not really for 1000yd+ precision?

i have read the 7Mag reloading depot page and it seems like most are using the remington brass. i know its usually available, but in my experience its highly inconsistent from case-to-case. am i right in thinking that it would ok for hunting but not really for 1000yd+ precision?

Weight inconsistencies are not always indicative of volume inconsistencies.

Nosler is norma, and it's soft. So soft you have to run anemic loads else you busy your pockets.

I found the same thing years ago with Nosler 308 brass. Brass life was short and primer pockets loosened quickly.

Believe it or not, Remington brass lasted the longest in my M1A rifle, and it was all I used for years when I shot NRA Service Rifle.

I like Alpha Munitions brass for my 6.5 Creedmoor and 308 bolt action.

I tried some nosler 260 brass once.
It did the same thing, Loose pockets super fast.

Started using Cheaper necked up Winchester brass and got awesome life.

ADG brass brass is a great option.
I agree. I use Winchester in .308 and it seems great. It was $25/50 rds. Can't argue with the accuracy either.

Nosler is norma, and it's soft. So soft you have to run anemic loads else you busy your pockets.

Nosler bought SSA in 2013 and built a new plant to manufacture all of it's own brass. Nosler hasn't used Norma brass in at least five years. The Norma brass was higher quality.

Reactions: iceng
Youre over max by 1.4 grains according to nosler.
Youre over max .4 grains according to hornady.
Youre over by .5 according to sierra.
Youre over by .6 according to hodgdon.
Youre over by 1.9 according to speer.

Just something to mull over when thinking that its the cases fault.

Youre over max by 1.4 grains according to nosler.
Youre over max .4 grains according to hornady.
Youre over by .5 according to sierra.
Youre over by .6 according to hodgdon.
Youre over by 1.9 according to speer.

Just something to mull over when thinking that its the cases fault.

That means he's under max by 5 grains here on the Hide.

I weighed a lot of 300 WM ADG cases, and the total spread in 100 cases was 3 grains as I recall. Very consistent! My cases have only been loaded a couple times thus far, but have heard others are getting good case life. I believe you would be happy with the 7mm magnum cases.

Guilty of it myself but I also understand when my good cases go prematurely
I have an experiment running with my 260.
how long will my Winchester cases last launching a 140ELDM at 2935 with H4350.

dozens of shots with 147 at 2800 finally killed my last batch of brass.

Guilty of it myself but I also understand when my good cases go prematurely

You're a sucker unless you're burning up barrels in 900 rounds and puking out primers. If your Raptor isn't tuned to max effort and redlined while getting groceries you're probably a pussy too.

This comes up all of the time.

i have listened to your wisdom as a group and i ordered 100 cases of ADG to test. i found it in stock and it will be here friday!! here we go... LEEROY JENKINS!!!!

Reactions: shoot4fun
i have listened to your wisdom as a group and i ordered 100 cases of ADG to test. i found it in stock and it will be here friday!! here we go... LEEROY JENKINS!!!!
I think you will be happy with ADG. I am finding it to be high quality brass.
*******WATCH OUT******
ADG tends to be heavier (means less case volume) so you will want to, as @spife7980 eludes, drop all loads and work back up carefully. You may find you'll be in a good accuracy node and have good velocity with less powder.

I tried some when Nosler first brought out the 22-250 brass. I found that my standard 22-250 AI fire forming load was blowing primers. Started to weight the cases for comparison against Remington and Winchester, found Nosler brass was the heaviest by a bunch. Reduced case capacity was the cause of the pressure problem, so I trashed the rest of the brass. I’m sure if I took the time to reduce the load weight they would of worked. I had too many of Rem and Win brass to waste my time on a reduced load for the Nosler brass. If I need new brass, Lapua would be my first choice.

Stick with Lapua, Peterson and ADG, Problems gone! Worked for me. I have 12 boxes of unused Nosler 6.5 cm and at least 6 packs of Hornaday 6.5 cm for sale for $45 each. Big savings for anyone interested.

I have used a lot of Norma/Nosler brass, and yes it is on the soft end of the spectrum. I get hard lift, bolt swipes, and ejector marks when working towards the upper end long before the primer pockets crap out.
same here but I run the 300 wm there and the brass just keeps coming back for more. Have not lost 1 piece and now on the 4 firing. My brass is probably 5-6 years old. Sad to hear the newer brass is changing.

Nosler bought SSA in 2013 and built a new plant to manufacture all of it's own brass. Nosler hasn't used Norma brass in at least five years. The Norma brass was higher quality.
Thanks for the clarification. I've not used nosler brass in a few years now, so should probably investigate it again. At that time no one made 7wsm brass.

I had a similar issue with Nosler for .280 ai. It is not tolerant of a warmer load. I also picked up in the middle of the brass transition from SSA.

I just checked what I have been hunting with for 2 years.

WW 30-06 brass for 6.5-06
Nos 280AI
WW 7mmRM
Nos 7mmSTW

No trouble with loose primer pockets, and I am no stranger to a work up to loose primer pockets.
I work up until I see an increase in extractor groove anywhere around the groove, then I back off 3% powder charge if it is a temp stable powder like H4350 or IMR 4166.

I will not use Re22, not for the last 10 years anyway. Too temp unstable.

Attachments

• 308DSCF0004.JPG
    308DSCF0004.JPG
    162.7 KB · Views: 65
FWIW. Been using Nosler in my 28Nosler (duh) and have gotten great life out of it, even with loads at 3000fps.