• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Nosler Vs. Laupua Case life 308

Re: Nosler Vs. Laupua Case life 308

NO.
I bump the shoulder every time, no more than .002", but I bump it every time.
Get good tools to measure headspace. Sizing the shoulder no mor ethan .002" or so will be the single most important item to help make brass last, in my opinion. Not sizing is better for brass life, but makes for hard chambering and possible other minor issues. I like knowing they will all chamber easily.

The only split neck I ever had was from factory loads. I have NEVER split a neck on my Lapua brass.

Use a RCBS universal primer and the 210m primers
pushed in sooo smooth on new Nosler .308 brass.
I hope this isn't a bad sign that the pockets will
quickly loosen up.
If they do I'll try the Wolf primer trick and run the stuff
thru a gas gun...

Bought some Nosler custom brass6.5-284) to try and reduced the load 2 grains(not 2 tenths) to start compared to my Lapua load and was shocked as the primer fell out in the action.Reduced it two more grains before it would hold a primer and by then only had half the brass left.Tooooooooo soft!!!!!!!!!

JLM,

PM sent with spreadsheet and article. It looks the same as what you have found with google.

Good Luck and good shooting!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NO.
I bump the shoulder every time, no more than .002", but I bump it every time.
Get good tools to measure headspace. Sizing the shoulder no mor ethan .002" or so will be the single most important item to help make brass last, in my opinion. Not sizing is better for brass life, but makes for hard chambering and possible other minor issues. I like knowing they will all chamber easily.

The only split neck I ever had was from factory loads. I have NEVER split a neck on my Lapua brass. </div></div>

Redding S-Type full length bushing die with no expander ball perhaps?

laugh.gif

Yup, but sometimes I make use of Redding body dies and neck bushing dies in separate steps. I don't use the expanders.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yup, but sometimes I make use of Redding body dies and neck bushing dies in separate steps. I don't use the expanders. </div></div>

K, I'm a good guesser. I'm curious thou, using the S-Full Length die how do you control the shoulder bump and still get full engagement with the bushing to fully size the neck?

Intuitively it would seem like you would leave a portion of the neck unsized (the amount of the bump, ie .002) going this route?

Forgive me, haven't had enough coffee yet! HEH.

I need to get a concentricity gauge to see how well this Forster Full Length die is doing at maintaining concentricity.

Thanks dude!

There are those who believe that leaving part of the neck unsized can actually help align the cartridge in the chamber.
Still, so long as the shoulder is making contact with the die, the neck will be sized to the same spot every time.

I don't worry about sizing all of the neck, just most of it so I get a good hold.

Thanks Raf! I'll see how the Forster FL die I bought does and then proceed from there. I'm told Forster will hone them out for a specific neck tension but I would imagine that would only work well if you standardize on one brand of brass and its uniform from lot to lot (neck wall thickness).

That's why people go with the bushing dies....matching the bushing to the brass at hand.
Nothing wrong with a standard die, but for the fact that they work the neck more....possibly resulting in earlier neck failure.

You gotta start somewhere though.
laugh.gif

Welp, I'll know soon. One of the reasons I got the Forester is it supposed to tweak the necks less due to the expander ball being positioned higher in the case. Less runout too is what they say, but I don't yet have a gauge to tell (that's on the TO DO list).

As soon as I chuck this lot of Hornady I'm going to switch over to Lapua and see what I can get out of them
laugh.gif

Thanks dude and Merry Christmas!

Raf, one more thing:

In one of the vids I have that shows the Redding dies in use, they
step down, using two different size bushings. The example in the video is: fired case measuring .342 on the neck and they don't go straight to the .335 bushing but use a bushing of intermediate size in order to maintain concentricity,and then down to the final size using the .335 bushing. Do you do that?

I just checked my Lapua 223 brass. fired=.254 and loaded=.249
308 brass. fired=.342 and loaded=.338
I anneal after every 5 reloadings. The 223 brass has reloaded about 45 times. I'm not sure if resizing in two steps would buy me anything. My concentricity is generally under .002, which is better than the Fed. GMM that I have used.
myerfire

Nope.
Fired dimension is .343", I size to between .334" and .336" in one step. Runout has never been an issue for me.....
Out of 50 loaded rounds, most are below .001" runout, and they rarely go above .002".

I have had minor issues with runout when I don't brush out the inside of the necks, but lately I have ceased to brush them and runout seems to stay low....for now.

on 45 firings for my 223 lapua brass(80gr hpbt on 25.5gr ar2208)
on 37 for 308 -no signs of loose primers yet
fairly hottish loads( to get 223 to 1000yrds)
i only necksize with lee collet die- cheap but excellent idea
havent yet annealed- trimmed cases once after about 25 firings
very happy with lapua- here in Oz also cheaper than norma brass

Like RAF, I resize in two steps: body die set to minimally bump the shoulder back; and the Redding competition neck sizing die with the appropriate bushing to size the neck. I also resize the neck in one step without a runout problem. The only thing I have found when you reduce the neck a great deal in one pass is, the necks are reduced about .001" more than the bushing size. My .338" bushing gives me .337" necks, which is perfect for my M118LR brass.

Don

Gentlemen thanks! Learning a lot here, I appreciate your comments!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nope.
Fired dimension is .343", I size to between .334" and .336" in one step. Runout has never been an issue for me.....
Out of 50 loaded rounds, most are below .001" runout, and they rarely go above .002".

I have had minor issues with runout when I don't brush out the inside of the necks, but lately I have ceased to brush them and runout seems to stay low....for now.
</div></div>

I'm back heh. Is that a factory chamber? Looks like my fired necks are coming out somewhere around .344.

Redding recommends on their website that you take two bites IF your fired brass measures .010" more than your loaded rounds and in my case (right now anyway with the Hornady brass, its thin walled around .012) they are more than .010 bigger between fired and loaded.

Things will be better when I switch to the thicker walled Lapua I'm sure but. Just trying to gather this knowledge and put it in my 'storage bin' for future ref.

Thanks guys! This is a great place to be.