• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Not Happy with Savage CS

Jackalope33B

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2010
Sunny Florida
I have a Savage MKII FVSR .22 rifle. I just bought a Boyds laminate stock for it. Well, the screws that hold the factory stock to the action are too short. I called up Boyds and they said the screw can be purchased at Lowes, Home Depot etc. Well, not only did Lowes, Home Depot not have the screw. None of the specialty screw shops around here have them. They all said they have never seen a screw like Im looking for. From what I was told, its a 12/32 screw. All they had were 10/32 then it jumped up to 1/4".
So I call Savage up. After waiting on hold for 22 minutes to speak with a customer service rep, I explained to her what rifle I had, what stock I had and what stock I was putting on. I had asked what the screw size was that they are using to attach the stocks to the receiver. She couldnt tell me. So I ask, well do you sell longer screws than what comes with the rifle. She says that they do have the screws in stock for what I need them for, but would not give me what the length was. My last question was how did she know what length I needed when she didnt know what size she had in stock? She couldnt answer me.
Are screws on a stock a secret that they wont give dimensions out on?

If anyone knows where I can get these screws please let me know. Boyds is out of stock on them.

Thanks!

Re: Not Happy with Savage CS

Thanks VJJ
I tried Fastenal locally.. They had nothing

Just saw they sell the Screws on Boyds website. $5 a set, not bad. But fuck me, $11. to ship them??!!! Wow, makes you wonder why they didnt offer to sell them to me in the first place..
Here they list "the Necessary hardware" I dont see anywhere it says LONGER SCREWS NEEDED..
http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/EVO-SAV-93-E-MKII-SKY-F-p/610-373.htm

lemesee, you're trying to put on an aftermarket stock from a manufacturer that Savage is in no way allied to and you title the thread 'not happy with Savage CS'
Not sure I get your drift.

Savage offers 2 lengths of #12-32. 3/4 inch and 1 inch
I've run into the same problem on a stock I'm working on.
I'm going to have to make a mechanical extension to obtain a fit.

savage-action-screws.JPG

WOW, you really know your stuff.. Im not sure why you say "Savage is in no way allied to" Little do you know that Savage does use Boyd stocks!
Lookie here, Savage rifle, boyd stock, savage website.
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIBTV
Oh my, heres another.. Im sure you get the point.
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIBSEV

I can do this all day.. Please know what you are talking about before you comment.. Because Savage does have their hand in Boyds cookie jar.. I hope you get my drift now
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CZbob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">lemesee, you're trying to put on an aftermarket stock from a manufacturer that Savage is in no way allied to and you title the thread 'not happy with Savage CS'
Not sure I get your drift. </div></div>

Did you order those screws from Savage? If not, then from where?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jaia</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Savage offers 2 lengths of #12-32. 3/4 inch and 1 inch
I've run into the same problem on a stock I'm working on.
I'm going to have to make a mechanical extension to obtain a fit.

savage-action-screws.JPG
</div></div>

Called customer support requesting a longer screw for an aftermarket stock.
Savage mailed me the 2 longer screws, no charge.

When I went to a boyds stock on my mark2 they were helpful. I told them what I needed and they sent them. Savage did okay on me. Maybe the custodian answered your call lol.

Sounds like a pain in the ass though for sure. Dont remember off the top of my head, but at some point I had the part numbers for the longer screws...

The folks that answer the phone probably don't know what the eff a 'Boyd Tacticool stock" is.

You gotta speak in stuff they actually will understand: "I need action screws that fit a Mk.II/93R17 TR".

Or, do what most many folks do and order the DIP kit...

Jackalope, I had the same problem when fitting a Tacticool stock to my MKII FV-SR. What I ended up doing was squeezing the action into the stock as hard as I could and that made the threads eventually catch. Once I got them started I applied 20lbs of torque to them and they seem to fit fine after that. Is your stock a differant model ? It does seem that the 1 inch screws that jaia found would seem to be the better option. Please let me know what amount of torque you find is best on those action screws.

go on savage's website, go under "partfinder" and have the serial no for your rifle ready. After you type that in, a schematic with every part will pop up, you can scroll over the requisite part and add it to your cart...kind of a cool feature.
Good luck.

I must have been none of the lucky ones. My rifle is still at the smiths getting fitted and bedded, but the screws that came with my rifle fit into the new stock with no problem. They're into the stock at least a 1/4"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FALex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">go on savage's website, go under "partfinder" and have the serial no for your rifle ready. After you type that in, a schematic with every part will pop up, you can scroll over the requisite part and add it to your cart...kind of a cool feature.
Good luck.</div></div>

No good if you have an FVSR and are going to a wood stock because it won't show you the longer screw part number.

You cannot find 12-32 screws ANYWHERE. I searched high and low for weeks, both locally and online. Ford Flathead guys feel our pain too apparently.

<span style="font-size: 20pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">The 1" long 12-32 screws from Savage are # 704346 and were $10 shipped.</span></span>
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=2&t=368960

I'm guessing you guys know this, but the bosses which hold the 12-32 are 1/4-28 screws, which McMaster sells plenty of. You can remove the bosses and drill out the holes in the stock and bottom metal to fit the larger screws.

huh??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frapiscide</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> but the bosses which hold the 12-32 are 1/4-28 screws, </div></div>

I worded that badly. The bosses, which are those stand offs that hold the 12-32 screws, screw into the action itself and those threads on the action are 1/4-28. 1/4-28 screws are much more common.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you're screwed </div></div>

Well, not yet. He's working at getting there!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frapiscide</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I worded that badly. The bosses, which are those stand offs that hold the 12-32 screws, screw into the action itself and those threads on the action are 1/4-28. 1/4-28 screws are much more common.</div></div>

The only issue with that is the fact that the front boss is notched for the forwardmost barrel pin as seen in this pic.
DSC_1843-vi.jpg

This article is a great one on this topic.
http://rvbprecision.com/shooting/savage-93r17tr-proper-bedding.html

I wish someone would make a one piece mag tunnel and trigger housing, but I guess that's part of why the MKII is so reasonably priced.

guess it was too much work for the factory to move the pin over 1/4"
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerz_Subbie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frapiscide</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I worded that badly. The bosses, which are those stand offs that hold the 12-32 screws, screw into the action itself and those threads on the action are 1/4-28. 1/4-28 screws are much more common.</div></div>

The only issue with that is the fact that the front boss is notched for the forwardmost barrel pin as seen in this pic.
DSC_1843-vi.jpg

This article is a great one on this topic.
http://rvbprecision.com/shooting/savage-93r17tr-proper-bedding.html

I wish someone would make a one piece mag tunnel and trigger housing, but I guess that's part of why the MKII is so reasonably priced. </div></div>