• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Not loving the Geissele SSA, maybe I'm the problem...?

I would bet my next paycheck against just about anyone, head to head, shooting a Geisselle SSF in any "duty" graded shooting event. A buddy and I just annihilated the SC Gunslinger and I used a Geisselle SSA. I'm pretty sure he used a LaRue MBT. The SSA-E is my choice for a precision gasser. The only time I stray from them is when shooting PCC or 3-Gun and then it's Hiperfire.

I'm going to try to explain it. There was a steep learning curve. I only put my finger on the trigger when I'm about to fire. The Rise is maybe a 3lb trigger pull, but it is immediate. The best way to describe it is as soon as I started thinking about pulling the trigger, it fired. There is no creep, or slack, or any movement. It resets with an equally minute movement. In some of my moving or running drills, there is absolutely no slack between putting your finger on the trigger and firing. When your heart is pumping the trigger pull is imperceptible. After a week or so I completely fell in love with it. I retired from LE due to a cervical injury and I have tremors in my hands as a result. This trigger takes the fine skill out of a trigger pull that I dont have.
Gotcha. Thanks for the explanation. I tried some double tap attempts this afternoon and it’s not ideal with my current 8-9 lb gritty factory trigger and long reset.

Reactions: thedude824
I don't necessarily disagree. My question was an attempt to learn about more duty trigger options because most of the alternatives mentioned are very light comp or sharp shooter/DMR triggers.
The agency I worked for was a progressive dump. We were finally able to carry carbines after Officers were chased out of dope holes by guys with ARs and AKs 3 times in 2 weeks. We couldn't wear blue or black uniforms b/c they were "too scary". We could buy our own Colt LE6920 and use an Eotech. Thats it. Magnified optics "gave the wrong impression". Suppressors were "too scary". Even on SWAT we could not modify triggers.We could use shorter barrels and a couple other minor things despite training literally 25x as much as Patrol.
Speaking personally, having done the exact same drills and training with a factory Colt trigger versus the Rise trigger, I can say absolutely that I am faster, more accurate, and substantially faster and more accurate on followup. That being said, most of our patrol officers were barely competent with their Glock. There is no way I would feel safe around most of them with anything but a horrendous mil-spec junk trigger. Like most things its based on the lowest common denominator, the absolute worst of the worst.

The agency I worked for was a progressive dump. We were finally able to carry carbines after Officers were chased out of dope holes by guys with ARs and AKs 3 times in 2 weeks. We couldn't wear blue or black uniforms b/c they were "too scary". We could buy our own Colt LE6920 and use an Eotech. Thats it. Magnified optics "gave the wrong impression". Suppressors were "too scary". Even on SWAT we could not modify triggers.We could use shorter barrels and a couple other minor things despite training literally 25x as much as Patrol.
Speaking personally, having done the exact same drills and training with a factory Colt trigger versus the Rise trigger, I can say absolutely that I am faster, more accurate, and substantially faster and more accurate on followup. That being said, most of our patrol officers were barely competent with their Glock. There is no way I would feel safe around most of them with anything but a horrendous mil-spec junk trigger. Like most things its based on the lowest common denominator, the absolute worst of the worst.

This is closer to the reality I'm familiar with.

If I was given the choice of a Giessele in an issued rifle I'd be unbelievably happy with any one of them. But, with my own money, my own choice, not so much, I'd want something better.

Sadly, you make a great point about choices being based off the "lowest common denominator", it's absolutely true.

I'm always eager to learn new things, so who are the U.S. aftermarket trigger makers and which specific models of DUTY rated triggers, meet ALL the following?:

1) Proven by at least a decade of hard duty use by thousands of SoF troops in combat, and LE SWAT teams

2) Aftermarket triggers built and marketed for duty/combat use

3) Not a DMR type trigger model

4) Made in USA

5) Has the production capacity to supply .Mil, LE, and the consumer markets

Again, which makers meet all of the above criteria?
LE Swat...lol stop right there

the rest is most certainly pertinent and valid to view of holistically but 2-5 means nothing to this dicussion.

LE Swat...lol stop right there

the rest is most certainly pertinent and valid to view of holistically but 2-5 means nothing to this dicussion.
Once the discussion meandered off into someone suggesting very light competition and DMR/Sharpshooter triggers, despite the OP clearly stating it was for defensive use and that he thought his Geissele SSA even seemed a bit light for that role- and then the OP giving that comment a "Like"- it opened the discussion up for that entire post to be questioned.

If the G brand duty triggers are so bad as he claims, what are the alternatives that meet all the same criteria I listed? He only listed competition and DMR/Sharpshooter options. As an analogy, it's like he said the most popular engine in Nascar racing is junk, but then only listed Indy and F1 motors as comparisons. :)

Geissele AR triggers suck, all of them. There, I said it.

Whenever someone tells me they don't, what they are really telling me is that they don't know what a really good AR trigger actually feels like, and they probably paid too much money for a not so great one because it said Geissele on the box.

Hiperfire Eclipse/Comp/Reflex or TriggerTech Diamond... Hiperfire has a better reset and will set off any primer known to man but only goes down to ~2lbs, TT goes lighter, like ~1.5lbs - 14ish ounces, feels crispier somehow (which is crazy because the Hiperfire is crisper than about anything else), dead reset though.

Both/either are (arguably) too light for duty though.

Hiperfire has a duty use Sharp Shooter trigger that you should try, best thing I've ever felt that could still probably get approved for a "work gun".
Sounds like you aren't using G triggers for their design intent. When the first feature you mention is pull weight, that explains a lot.

I've been experimenting with dry fire and I may come around on the SSA... We'll see.

Sounds like you aren't using G triggers for their design intent. When the first feature you mention is pull weight, that explains a lot.

Nope.

It’s just when I spend $100-300 for an upgrade… I expect it to feel like an upgrade is all.

A little thread drift... what would be the trigger recommendation for precision / varmint 6ARC type rifle? I have experience on the G-SSA. And while I'm quite used to two-stage, I can do single stage in precision rifles.

Geissele AR triggers suck, all of them. There, I said it.

Whenever someone tells me they don't, what they are really telling me is that they don't know what a really good AR trigger actually feels like, and they probably paid too much money for a not so great one because it said Geissele on the box.

Hiperfire Eclipse/Comp/Reflex or TriggerTech Diamond... Hiperfire has a better reset and will set off any primer known to man but only goes down to ~2lbs, TT goes lighter, like ~1.5lbs - 14ish ounces, feels crispier somehow (which is crazy because the Hiperfire is crisper than about anything else), dead reset though.

Both/either are (arguably) too light for duty though.

Hiperfire has a duty use Sharp Shooter trigger that you should try, best thing I've ever felt that could still probably get approved for a "work gun".
While I don't agree with that all Geissele triggers are suck. I think the ALG's do imo. his point on the TT 1.5-4 once trigger might be the answer for the OP. I have one on my one of AR's and I really like it. But it took a while to get use to the almost inviable 1st stage.

A little thread drift... what would be the trigger recommendation for precision / varmint 6ARC type rifle? I have experience on the G-SSA. And while I'm quite used to two-stage, I can do single stage in precision rifles.
The SSA-E or the SSP.

ETA: If someone recommends a brand of trigger but not the model- press them to be specific.

Last edited:
Reactions: smithjd
Nope.

It’s just when I spend $100-300 for an upgrade… I expect it to feel like an upgrade is all.
and the fact you think pull weight quantifies that upgrade says a lot.

SSA-E or Hi-Speed National Match

Reactions: rpoL98
Triggertech. It's a different 2-stage experience than most as the first stage is very light, but super nice.

Anyone else seen multiple guns with the TT that either don't reset or appear under gassed when that unit is installed?

Got my hands on a BCM PNT yesterday and the trigger feels pretty good. Very short pull, no creep that I could detect. Reset is nice and strong. I wouldn't mind a slightly lighter pull (which, as I understand it, reduces reset strength accordingly).

Anyone else seen multiple guns with the TT that either don't reset or appear under gassed when that unit is installed?

I've only tried 2 different TT AR Diamonds, both set to ~2lbs (guessing here) and they both reset fine as far as function, it's just that the reset feel was pretty underwhelming, not much, if any "pop" to the return if that makes sense...

I've been thinking of putting together a 20-24" gasser mutt for lobbing 75/77gr BTHP's to 600-1000yrds while waiting for my bolt-gun to cool off, and if I ever get around to it, I plan on trying the TT.

Get one of these. Dry fire it 1k times and learn the trigger.

Also, no matter what trigger you end up with, that dry fire system is useful for practice.

• Love
Reactions: Naaman