• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Not really the norm- Wood stock rifle???

DP425

I’d rather be sleeping
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2009
MI
I'm looking for a NICE wood stocked hunting rifle, 1MOA or better, high grade walnut stock, deep bluing... and I don't want to have to start having kids and selling them into slavery to pay for it.

Any ideas? I know this isn't the "norm" for this board, but... often times, tactical rifle aficionado's will also be very good with their knowledge on hunting rifles. I've looked at the Thompson Center Icon, and one of them has the nice lines and good looking wood-- but I'm looking for other options before I make a decision. Thanks for the help input guys!

Re: Not really the norm- Wood stock rifle???

Shop the gun shows. Good hunting rifles are usually the first thing to go once someone gets short of cash. Blued rifles with walnut stocks just don't sell as fast as the black on black tactical setups and there are bargins to be found. Most will get fired a few times just before the hunting season and only once or twice during. I've always been fond of the older Remington 700s or the Ruger MkIIs in plain walnut and a deep blue. Since Ruger has forgotten how to blue a rifle you will have to shop for an older model.
Since my hunting rifles were stolen last year I'm in the same boat. I plan to walk a few shows until one just calls out to me as I walk by.

I would haunt the gun shows and find something that appeals to your eye and your budgit. I still see pre 64 70 Winchesters sell for suprisingly low dollars considering their value. Many shoot GREAT. 700 Rem?? I do not think anyone will be able to get more specific than that as you do not state what you are hunting or where or your budget. I am also suprised at how cheap some expect to buy things.

Sorry, should have been a bit more specific... Intend to just shoot under 300m, midwest hunting, .308 most likely. Under $1k

Might even consider a second rifle for out west in .300 WM.

Either way, I like my hunting rifles of the more classic style with deep blueing, high grade wood. Hell, in actuality, I'd even consider getting a rifle that needs some tuning to meet my accuracy requirements- just so long as the potential is there, while keeping with the light, classic style of a true field rifle.

I'm normally not a big gun show fan... I've never found great deals there, but at the same time, I've not really been to gun shows at the right time- didn't really attend any prior to 2000 and haven't been to any since the bottom dropped out of the economy. In those periods, at least around me, it seemed deals were severely lacking at gun shows- almost like if you wanted to get ripped off, you attended a gun show. When I get back home in a few weeks, I might start hitting opening day of all the local shows.

Personally I think you are wasting your time at gun shows. But it is your time. If I wanted to buy a rifle at a gun show I would set up a chair outside and try to buy a rifle from an individual that is bringing his rifle in to sell.

Go to a bunch of small shops, and pawnshops. that is one good way. And they will deal.

Spend alot of time on different forums. You can find some good deals on line.

I have been amazed how the mfrs. have made people think that wood is worthless. However since wood costs them more it is no wonder. I am constantly amazed at the prices people pay for plastic and fiberglass stocks. And the prices keep going up. I can not figure that out. I guess it is a trend. Tom.

Look around for a CZ 550 Varmint in Walnut. They have them in 308 with an MSRP of about 850 (stock number 04160), which means you will find them cheaper. Typically, the CZs have fine stocks and you can find some that have some figure in them that should be found on 2,000 dollar models. I shoot a Sako TRG22 and have had a Remington 700 just so you know I am not biased. CZs are nice rifles.

Josh

In my expirence, many good guns can be purchased at gun shows, at fair prices. For the price range of under 1000 the field is wide open. You can easily find a nice 700 Rem or Pre or post 64 mod 70 Winchester. All will shoot fine with a little tuning. I would not go with a new rifle as you will get more value in a used one as you likely know. There are also some nice Mausers around that can sometimes be had and shoot well. You really need to know what you are looking at though as there is a huge amount of junk Mausers and most people never see a really good one as they are not common. I have a huge amount of hunting type rings and bases so when you find one let me know and I will give you a mount if it will work. Just PM me. I bet I have over 200.
The trolls who sit on the curb and smoke outside gunshows remind me of the beggers on the streets of Calcutta.