• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

F T/R Competition NRA MidRange Camp Perry

Please don't take this as taking away from anyone, but Camp Perry this yr is an excellent opportunity for someone that's not usually in the hunt to win a championship. The Mid range is 2 weeks before the Nationals and the Worlds in Raton, and the long range is the week before Raton. I haven't heard anyone that is going to Raton say that they are going to Perry. In order to win one has to show up and shoot. In this case the field may be wide open if you do.

I've also heard a few people that were put off by the requirement that the team score to be able to compete for the National Championship. For me personally that is a huge NO.

From the Camp Perry schedule.

National NRA Mid-Range Rifle Championship Match# 800
"This is an aggregate of each competitors total scores fired in Matches 805, 806, 807, 808, and 815." (my emphasis)

Match 815 is the Team Match so if you don't shoot the team match you forfeit 150 points. Kind hard to win a Championship that way, huh?!

If I was going this would screw me, I'm the only serious F-TR shooter in my area. There are about 2 other people in the state of TN that I'd consider teaming with. Then it comes down to shooting against someone with a better wind coach and that adding to his score. Nope. Bad plan and makes me very glad that the F class Long Range Nationals are not a part of Camp Perry.

Please don't take this as taking away from anyone, but Camp Perry this yr is an excellent opportunity for someone that's not usually in the hunt to win a championship. The Mid range is 2 weeks before the Nationals and the Worlds in Raton, and the long range is the week before Raton. I haven't heard anyone that is going to Raton say that they are going to Perry. In order to win one has to show up and shoot. In this case the field may be wide open if you do.

I've also heard a few people that were put off by the requirement that the team score to be able to compete for the National Championship. For me personally that is a huge NO.

From the Camp Perry schedule.

National NRA Mid-Range Rifle Championship Match# 800
"This is an aggregate of each competitors total scores fired in Matches 805, 806, 807, 808, and 815." (my emphasis)

Match 815 is the Team Match so if you don't shoot the team match you forfeit 150 points. Kind hard to win a Championship that way, huh?!

If I was going this would screw me, I'm the only serious F-TR shooter in my area. There are about 2 other people in the state of TN that I'd consider teaming with. Then it comes down to shooting against someone with a better wind coach and that adding to his score. Nope. Bad plan and makes me very glad that the F class Long Range Nationals are not a part of Camp Perry.

Sounds like TN needs to start getting some shooters. Hard to believe there is only 3 worthy F/TR shooters in TN

So if I understand your post, if I plan on shooting alone there is no reason to show up? Since I will be giving up the potential for the team aggregate?

Sounds like TN needs to start getting some shooters. Hard to believe there is only 3 worthy F/TR shooters in TN

I'm trying, and I don't know the mid range game, there are some mid range shooters over in Memphis; however, the guy that I regularly shoot 1000 with, and have split about 3 or 4 matches in the last yr by X-count, won the TN midrange championship last yr. (the scores say it was pretty tuff conditions)

The good news is that I pretty regularly get to shoot with some really good shooters from surrounding states but like last yr at Camp Perry I didn't get on a team for long distance. Last yr at Raton Laura wasn't shooting on the US-FTR team on Thursday so she got put together a team with one other guy from 'Bama and 2 of us from TN. We've got a fair number of F-Open shooters locally but in F-TR interest lacks.

What is really frustrating to me is that right here in Oak Ridge we have one of the nicest shooting facilities in the US, one of the few competition 1000 yard ranges in the US that is privately owned, we have ~2000 club members and on any given club match weekend I shoot with a dozen sling shooters, one TR guy who comes over from near Nashville (who is very good) and maybe half a dozen F-Open shooters. In June we got a good turnout and had a full dozen F-Class with a 50/50 split. Lately after the Sunday Palma match the sling shooters have been doing team practice for Camp Perry. No F class participation. There is just nobody here.

We have ~950 acres, and half a dozen ranges. We have lots of CMP/Service rifle/XTC types, shotgun shooters (2 skeet and 2 trap I think), action pistol shooters and some other disciplines but most of the membership shoots on either the "Plinking" range or the 200 yard "Benchrest" range just to target practice at 200 yds or less.

ORSA Range Pictures.jpg

Part of the problem here is that unlike some other ranges there is nobody with a financial interest in getting people to shoot. No gunsmiths or stock makers locally cater to the long range shooting crowd so promotion is pretty non-existent. I shoot with a great group of HM and MA sling shooters. I can go to the range and practice any day that there isn't something else scheduled, which pretty much means about 20 days a month; but when it comes to F-TR there just aren't many people playing.

So if I understand your post, if I plan on shooting alone there is no reason to show up? Since I will be giving up the potential for the team aggregate?

You're not going to win the National w/o a team score for the agg. But you could still shoot and have a good time. The other option is to try to pick up a team at Camp Perry. The program says that they are accepting team registrations until the 6th I think. The issue with that is you get what you get for a wind coach, and someone with a good coach may make up some points on you from the individual. Having a good coach who is watching the whole time is pretty handy.

XTR - I know you get a good chuckle out of my rifle setup when I show up to the matches. Hopefully by next year I will have a setup that is built for the F-T/R game. Once I get the right equipment in place I hope to be able to give you a little more competition at our matches.

Wade - As you know, I run the matches at AEDC (in middle TN for those that don't know) and for reference, here is the number of F-Class shooters we have had at some of our matches at AEDC (Tullahoma, 144 miles from Oak Ridge) in the past year or so:

1/15: 21 F-T/R, 7 F-Open
4/07: 20 F-T/R, 15 F-Open
4/29: 20 F-T/R, 10 F-Open
5/27: 23 F-T/R, 8 F-Open
9/02: 21 F-T/R, 13 F-Open
10/06: 11 F-T/R, 7 F-Open
10/07: 12 F-T/R, 6 F-Open

1/20: 14 F-T/R, 10 F-Open
2/16: 10 F-T/R, 5 F-Open
2/17: 16 F-T/R, 1 F-Open
3/30: 8 F-T/R, 11 F-Open

That sure seems like a lot of F-T/R shooters, especially for no-frills local "approved" matches. We have a few Mid-Range matches coming up at AEDC between now and Labor Day weekend's 1,000-yard State Championship and I expect even better attendance given the rainy conditions we had earlier this year. The next match is this Saturday (7/6).

I am not sure what your travel situation is, but I believe we have only seen you at AEDC one time. Perhaps you should consider joining us for some of our matches at AEDC and providing instruction to some of our newer shooters who may benefit from your superior knowledge. Who knows, maybe a few of them may someday be up to snuff and could form a team with you, and/or may be further encouraged to give Oak Ridge a try. Lord knows I tell them about the Oak Ridge matches every chance I get!

Basically, instead of complaining about the F-T/R shooters not coming to you, maybe you just need to come to them! I think it's worth considering, and I promise not to be too mean to you at our matches. I can't promise for Tim Kreier, however. You're on your own there!

Jim Soko

Jim, everyone of the AEDC matches is on my calendar, but I typically shoot all of the matches at Oak Ridge (two to three weekend days a month) that I am in town for. My schedule really doesn't allow many more weekend days to go out of town to shoot.

I'm trying to figure out how to better promote shooting at Oak Ridge. I'm just not sure how to get more guys on the line.

I wish I had time to come shoot at AEDC more often.

XTR - I know you get a good chuckle out of my rifle setup when I show up to the matches. Hopefully by next year I will have a setup that is built for the F-T/R game. Once I get the right equipment in place I hope to be able to give you a little more competition at our matches.

No, I don't chuckle at anyone's rig. I shot all yr three yrs ago with a 24" barrel, and I surely understand the $$ involved with building a dedicated match rig. I'm happy to see anyone get up on the line and give it a try. Anyone local who is interested in shooting has a unique opportunity, there are few other places in the US that offer the access and match schedule we have.

[edit] To the point of my original post. Most championships are decided by one or two points. If, as an individual shooter you have managed to be in the top three or four shooters but you have to include a team match in your aggregate your agg is not yours alone any more, and you can even be coached by a non-shooting coach.

What is a good wind coach worth? In a no wind condition, maybe you clean it w/o one, but if it's a little tricky a few points for certain, and surely enough to decide the championship. I think including the team score in the agg is wrong. It's no longer an individual event, and it shows the mindset of the Camp Perry officials. It weights the competition to practiced teams.

Last edited:
I am going to Perry this year, my first time, and I just got signed up. If you shoot an out of competition team, the scores do not count for the team match, but your individual score counts for the Agg. I am going down from Alaska, and besides the cost, haven't found a partner yet. By the way, I am a HM sling shooter. Would like to be able to shoot the team match, if I can.