• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NRL 22 Matches in Illinois and the Midwest

Mjryan67

Private
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2017
Evening all,

I'm on the Board of Directors for the DeWitt County Sportsmans club outside of Champaign Urbana and our club is less than 3 hours away from Chicago, Indy, and St.Louis so we're kinda centrally located. I've got the rest I f the board talked into hosting NRL 22 matches this year for the season so I wanted to see who on the hide was out there in a reasonable driving distance that would be interested in shooting the matches this season.

I just want to make sure I staff the matches to the righ levels to make it fun and run smooth.

Thanks guys!

Michael

Micheal,
I'd need to know the schedule, I'm right at 3 hrs north so it would be a challenge to get down there.

At what ranges and targets do you intend to be shooting, and from what positions?

IE: please describe your proposed COF (since every club's rules are different).

-Nate

Also, I recommend you go post this on INGO.com

It's a big forum, at least regionally.

At what ranges and targets do you intend to be shooting, and from what positions?

IE: please describe your proposed COF (since every club's rules are different).

-Nate

Nate check out nrl22.org the league publishes the course of fire for each month if you visit the website you can see all of last seasons COF.

The concept behind it is that since the league is publishing the COF it is the same at all the clubs across the country so your scoring is counted towards qualifying for regionals and nationals.

Basically everything is shot at 100 yards or less with steel targets down to 1/4” and up to 6 inches, there are paper stages as well. Several different types of barricades are used throughout the match so your shooting off of and through multiple types of barricades in multiple positions for each stage.

Thanks,

Michael

Micheal,
I'd need to know the schedule, I'm right at 3 hrs north so it would be a challenge to get down there.

It’s an easy all interstate drive, I drive to Chicago several times a month. I will be posting the match schedule in May for the season so everyone can plan well in advance.

The season kicks off in June so it’s still a couple months out to the first match.

Thank you!

Michael

How many rounds are typical, and what level of accuracy is required of a rifle to be competitive?

I would say if your in the neighborhood of 1 Moa your going to be competitive. There are different classes which you can choose to shoot in, there is a youth class, ladies class, base class and open class. The open class is any Rifle/ scope combination you want to shoot, the base class is limited to a rifle with a list price of $350 or less and a scope with an MSRP of $700 or less.

There are 5 stages per match and each stage is 10 rounds so a match is just 50 rounds unless the match has a bonus stage which would add another 10 rounds. So 1 box of ammo per match will get you done. Entry fees are typically in the $10 to $15 dollar range so entry fees plus a $20 box of ammo and your looking at $30 to $35 as a cost to shoot the match.

Thanks,

Michael

Curious if I can use a 22 wsm? Or a 17hmr? Or is it only 22lr? I’m in Omaha Nebraska but might be interested in shooting some events if I can get a set up together in time

I'm also looking into a 22lr program for our club in Southern Wi. Our matches would be more of a NRL22/PRS style. We have 2 rifle ranges, on the main range we can shoot out to 300yds.

Guys, the whole purpose of the NRL22 matches is to make them easy enough for any club that has a 100 yard range able to setup and run these matches. Almost all of the thinking and work has been done for you. You can buy a simple and inexpensive target package and then a trip to Home Depot or even around your garage for everything else you need (ie. 6ft ladder, 5 gallon plastic bucket, 10ft of rope, a few cinder blocks...ect) and you are god to go. Other than ordering the target package from them at $250 you could start from scratch and be shooting in a few hours.

It takes us about 15 minutes to setup a match and each squad spots and scores for themselves. This whole concept was designed so that anyone can just plug in and start their own quality matches with little experience or effort. All you need to do is go to NRL22.org and tae a little time browsing and reading. Sign in sheets, score sheets, paper targets and the monthly match outlines are all there to download for free.

Reactions: JOrisman
Guys, the whole purpose of the NRL22 matches is to make them easy enough for any club that has a 100 yard range able to setup and run these matches. Almost all of the thinking and work has been done for you. You can buy a simple and inexpensive target package and then a trip to Home Depot or even around your garage for everything else you need (ie. 6ft ladder, 5 gallon plastic bucket, 10ft of rope, a few cinder blocks...ect) and you are god to go. Other than ordering the target package from them at $250 you could start from scratch and be shooting in a few hours.

It takes us about 15 minutes to setup a match and each squad spots and scores for themselves. This whole concept was designed so that anyone can just plug in and start their own quality matches with little experience or effort. All you need to do is go to NRL22.org and tae a little time browsing and reading. Sign in sheets, score sheets, paper targets and the monthly match outlines are all there to download for free.

Interesting, I might hit up Travis ishida to see if it could be sponsored by them

They do, just not "NRL22" matches. Eagerly was going to register for one today but its booked. I wish they held NRL monthly ones. Brock's Gap in Hoover has monthly ".22 Sniper" matches, but from what I can read its all prone out to about 200 yards on 2 MOA sized targets. Prone is awesome, but I like positional/practical the best, though I do hope to attend some at Brock's Gap. Will be keeping a better eye out for Alabama Precision as they are only 1.25 hours from me.

I need to propose it to my local range as these matches seem fool proof to set up.

They do, just not "NRL22" matches. Eagerly was going to register for one today but its booked. I wish they held NRL monthly ones. Brock's Gap in Hoover has monthly ".22 Sniper" matches, but from what I can read its all prone out to about 200 yards on 2 MOA sized targets. Prone is awesome, but I like positional/practical the best, though I do hope to attend some at Brock's Gap. Will be keeping a better eye out for Alabama Precision as they are only 1.25 hours from me.

I need to propose it to my local range as these matches seem fool proof to set up.

Yep, right there.

BRRC in St Louis is having NRL22 matches.
Schedule can be found on website.
BTW- they are getting geared up for PRS style shooting as well.

R

Im in peoria. This is good to hear. Illinois doesnt have much in the way of PRS type matches

Stay tuned! I hope to be able to start announcing the schedule for this years NRL 22 matches in the next couple of weeks. I will be scheduling a practice match in May so that people can get out and tune up and try out the NRL 22 format and then the matches will be starting in June. We will have the full seasons worth of monthly matches.

We are less than an hour and a half from Peoria probably closer to an hour and fifteen so it won't be a bad drive if you want to come down and shoot.

Thanks,

Michael

Reactions: stereo.pete
Schedule Update:

Saturday may 5th we are going to host a pre season warm up match registration starts at 7:30 am and the match begins at 9:00 am.

Since this is a practice/ come try it out match there will be no cost, we will have lunch available.

The club is located outside of Champaign/Urbana, the address for the club is available here http://www.dewittcountysc.com/directions.html

The matches for the 2018 season start in June and the full season schedule is:

June 17th
July 15th
August 18th
September 16th
October 14th
November 11th
December 9th

All of the above matches will be sanctioned so your scores will count for monthly prizes and count towards qualifying for regionals and nationals.

If you have any questions please message me!

Thanks,

Michael

Congrats on getting registered with NRL22. You and your shooters are going to have a very fun time shooting these matches. They are designed to be easy going and fun but will still challenge everyone. What's not to like about a precision rifle competition with a 10lb rifle?

I'm in Springfield and very interested in attending. I've never shot PRS style before, but eager to learn. My usual club is in Chillicothe.

I'm in Springfield and very interested in attending. I've never shot PRS style before, but eager to learn. My usual club is in Chillicothe.

Come on over May 5 th and join us to have some fun and try out the match! It’s going to be a good group of people that will help in any way that they can it’s going to be pretty informal everyone is just looking to have a good time and do some fun shooting.

We are maybe a little over an hour away from Springfield and a pretty easy drive so I encourage you to come come check it out just warned you may get addicted to this PRS style of matches they are a blast.

I look forward to seeing you on May 5th!

Michael

Getting closer to the ND area, but still far to far.

Want to start something like this, but don't have the shooters.... or range to use

Getting closer to the ND area, but still far to far.

Want to start something like this, but don't have the shooters.... or range to use

Ahhhh it's never to far to go shoot a fun match ......plus it's warmer down here that's a bonus ...

7 months ago my 22 rifles saw the range once every year or two. Then the NRL22 was formed...

I have 4 new 22 rifles now and they are out on the range every week or two.

These matches will become the #1 type of precision rifle matches over the next few years and the path that the majority of new shooters
follow going into the high power precision rifle matches.

We usually add an addittional 2 or 3 supplemental stages into our NRL22 matches. They usually involve developing skills we use in the high power matches like a spinner or something like a mover. We also add longer distance stages beyond 100 yards, maybe a holdover stage or something else that involves decision making.

We send the NRL22 the results for their 5 stages but still announce at our match the results for NRL as well as the overall results. We also have medals that we give out as recognition. There are a bunch of online trophy shops that engrave and sell these medals for a few bucks each. Medals for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place in each division. Probably $20-$25 total but people fight for them.

Last edited:
We usually add an addittional 2 or 3 supplemental stages into our NRL22 matches. They usually involve developing skills we use in the high power matches like a spinner or something like a mover. We also add longer distance stages beyond 100 yards, maybe a holdover stage or something else that involves decision making.

We send the NRL22 the results for their 5 stages but still announce at our match the results for NRL as well as the overall results. We also have medals that we give out as recognition. There are a bunch of online trophy shops that engrave and sell these medals for a few bucks each. Medals for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place in each division. Probably $20-$25 total but people fight for them.

Excellent ideas ! I'm already working on some additional stages for our matches for June I'm thinking I will bring my tripod and let everyone shoot a dueling tree plate rack stage and see how that works out.

Last edited:
Would enjoy coming down to rhat dfoosking!! Can drop the wife and kids off somewhere and come shoot.

Post something up when you guys do this and I will see if my work schedule will allow me to come down

I'd like to see one of these around northern Indiana. With my work schedule, it would be nearly impossible to go to many (don't get many weekends off), but If one were close I could probably figure out how to make one or two to try it out.

Im in peoria. This is good to hear. Illinois doesnt have much in the way of PRS type matches

That's because I doubt anyone would come if they live in the free states around us. No cans, and they would need a case. Most think that's insane!! Because it is!!

That's because I doubt anyone would come if they live in the free states around us. No cans, and they would need a case. Most think that's insane!! Because it is!!

Yea Illinois laws kinda suck ... the wife and I have 5 years and we can get out of this hell hole and move to a free state and we are counting the days ....

Would enjoy coming down to rhat dfoosking!! Can drop the wife and kids off somewhere and come shoot.

Post something up when you guys do this and I will see if my work schedule will allow me to come down

Come on down we would love to have ya shoot with us. The full schedule for the year is up in post 24 ... May 5th Is a pre season warm up shoot and then points matches start in June.

Monday at 7:12 PM

Schedule Update:

Saturday may 5th we are going to host a pre season warm up match registration starts at 7:30 am and the match begins at 9:00 am.

Since this is a practice/ come try it out match there will be no cost, we will have lunch available.

The club is located outside of Champaign/Urbana, the address for the club is available here http://www.dewittcountysc.com/directions.html

The matches for the 2018 season start in June and the full season schedule is:

June 17th
July 15th
August 18th
September 16th
October 14th
November 11th
December 9th

All of the above matches will be sanctioned so your scores will count for monthly prizes and count towards qualifying for regionals and nationals.

If you have any questions please message me!

That would be fun. I have at least one or two buddies that would possibly come with. And heck leave the wife and kids at home and make it a guys weekend

...or BRING the kid(s) and have a shooting partner for life?!

-Nate

...or BRING the kid(s) and have a shooting partner for life?!

-Nate

Already working on that with my son now. He likes it but gets distracted and bored very quickly. Not wanting to push him into and risk him not wanting anything to do with shooting. We have been shooting with his bb gun now, and he has fun for a while.

I’m in WI and would defiantly be interested if IL would allow cans. Maybe some day. If your ever wanting to come north I’m sure we could find lots of ranges to use.

As far as PRS in it around IL, Aurora does them on their own and with the Border Wars series. Wisconsin does them with the WIPRSC and Border Wars. Basically any state around and including IL is gonna have a Border Wars match.

For all those that have expressed an interest in shooting the match on May 5th I just wanted to do a little update here as to match starting times and course of fire.

Since this is a pre season warm up with the 2018 season matches starting in June, I am gong to use the Feb. COF from last season which you can see here at http://nrl22.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/NRL22_FEB_COF_.pdf .

The schedule for the match will be as follows:

7:30 to 8:00 am - sing in and registration

8:00 to 8:05 - Safety brief

8:05 to 8:35 - check your zero

9:00 am the match starts

Let me know if there are any questions, I look forward to seeing and meeting some fellow hiders ....

Thanks,

Michael

I setup the targets for the match on Saturday so here is a quick video of what the course of fire looks like and yes I know the video sucks but hey it gives you an idea ....

Hey guys, Tyler Frehner here from the NRL22. I don't get on the Hide as much as I should. Just wanted to say thanks very much to Mjryan67 and my friend quickdraw for spreading the word of NRL22. You guys are awesome! We do the majority of our discussions on facebook and I am much more responsive to questions there. Check us out at NRL22 Members on FB, or www.nrl22.org for any other info.

Thanks in advance for joining us in some good fun!

Excellent ideas ! I'm already working on some additional stages for our matches for June I'm thinking I will bring my tripod and let everyone shoot a dueling tree plate rack stage and see how that works out.

I built a horizontal swinger and a multi-level barricade for our last match. We shot a Caldwell shooting arcade off of the barricade using 3 heights. The horizontal swinger was a totally unusual and fun reactive target. Both were enjoyed by the shooters. No matter what supplemental stages you put together they will help build confidence and comfort in the shooters. That goes a long way in developing future skills.

Here is the full season flyer for our 2018 NRL22 Season matches, hope to see some Hiders out at the range ....

NRL22 Flyer.jpg

Where do you shoot down there, my dad lives down there and we are always looking for different spots, hejust got a membership for chillicothe sportsmans club and im pretty sure they have a 300 yd range