• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NRL Hunter One

@LV Precision, you’re obviously just trolling at this point. You won’t answer direct questions about shooting NRL Hunter matches which means you likely haven’t. You’ve made your vague, useless point that NRL Hunter gear is too expensive. Great. Now move along and post your crappy memes elsewhere.

As for NRL Hunter being more practical than PRS…it absolutely is. Not necessarily because it’s less of a gear race, but because the rifles and gear being used are more applicable to hunting and tactical/military scenarios.

How are the rifles more practical? Weight. PRS is now a 20# or heavier benchrest gun. Frank and Scott recognized it as becoming a problem in that it’s not practical to have such heavy rifles in most real world scenarios. Just like most guys aren’t EDC’ing their open USPSA race guns.

A sub 16 lb rifle is more similar to a military sniper rifle, a sub 12 lb one is perfect for western hunters. Binos, range finder and tripod are all things most Western big game hunters use for glassing, ranging and engaging real animals to put meat in the freezer. Same for tactical precision Rifleman.

The skills employed in spotting, ranging and shooting targets under pressure in NRL Hunter also translate very well to Hunting/Military scenarios. Also problem solving and building a position is very applicable to both.

I’ll be excited to see where these NRL one matches go. That said; I’m disappointed to see their regular 2 day matches going away as NRL has more stuff in the west near me. Hopefully border wars or similar continues on.

The Hunter series is what I’ll be focusing on and it has already made me better prepared as a hunter. Won’t hurt if Russia and China keep it up either…😁

Never said it was too expensive for me. Might be for you or others though.

Speaking of hunter stuff. These look cool.

Appears to be the j Allen style rubber molded grip. With different grip thickness.

1642584673027.png

It also seems most don’t actually know what’s practical on the mil/le side.

Sub 16lbs isn’t happening much anymore. MRAD is about 14-16lbs before optics depending on barrel. Also not including bipod and such. AXSR is 15lbs before optics.

Tripods are essential. We teach tripod rear support to mil/le way more than we teach to competition shooters.

Interestingly, much of the stuff people claim is “gamer” or impractical is the most practical or realistic.

Was not expecting that out of MDT. Very intrigued.

It also seems most don’t actually know what’s practical on the mil/le side.

Sub 16lbs isn’t happening much anymore. MRAD is about 14-16lbs before optics depending on barrel. Also not including bipod and such. AXSR is 15lbs before optics.

Tripods are essential. We teach tripod rear support to mil/le way more than we teach to competition shooters.

Interestingly, much of the stuff people claim is “gamer” or impractical is the most practical or realistic.

No doubt, military sniper rifles are heavy. I have owned several of the AI pigs. Love them, they shot great and are bulletproof but starting weight for the AIAT/AX is about 14 lbs if memory serves. That’s before scope, bipod, etc. There’s a reason mil guys are in top physical condition.

I know they’re also thinking about carbon fiber and lightening anywhere they can. I’d much rather deploy with a 10-12 lb rifle if I’m having to ruck with it, as long as reliability and accuracy aren’t compromised. I feel like NRL Hunter guns fit that bill.

I like the idea behind the C.o.Fs. Finding, ranging and engaging seems quote unquote more practical. If I fall into a decent set of range finding binos, I may try one of the NRL Hunter One matches since I have a 12lb 6.5 SAUM that would most likely be my go to out west.

I get the premise of the equipment restrictions and do like that you can still shoot if you don't make weight. That being said, the equipment practicality argument to me is a moot point and kind of laughable. What's practical out west is not practical here east of the Mississippi or vice versa. I can drive my truck to within 100yds of any of my deer stands on my lease. Shit, I can park my truck on the side of a US highway. Walk the 100 feet from the center line required to be legal and I'm hunting an 800x200 yard bean field with my 22lb 6BRA sitting in an ACC or Foundation if I really want to.

Different guns, for different applications. Different strokes for different folks.

I like the idea behind the C.o.Fs. Finding, ranging and engaging seems quote unquote more practical. If I fall into a decent set of range finding binos, I may try one of the NRL Hunter One matches since I have a 12lb 6.5 SAUM that would most likely be my go to out west.

I get the premise of the equipment restrictions and do like that you can still shoot if you don't make weight. That being said, the equipment practicality argument to me is a moot point and kind of laughable. What's practical out west is not practical here east of the Mississippi or vice versa. I can drive my truck to within 100yds of any of my deer stands on my lease. Shit, I can park my truck on the side of a US highway. Walk the 100 feet from the center line required to be legal and I'm hunting an 800x200 yard bean field with my 22lb 6BRA sitting in an ACC or Foundation if I really want to.

Different guns, for different applications. Different strokes for different folks.

Yep, different strokes for different folks is right, obviously east coast and midwest hunting is a whole different deal. My understanding is that some tree stands look over fields where shots might get out to 4-500 yards, so precision rifles and associated skills would be useful. But yeah, if you're only walking 100 yards weight's not too much of an issue, more of a slight inconvenience.

Reactions: Mormegil87
We only recently started PRS in Australia. I know a few blokes (that's Aussie for adult with male genitalia) that have flown to the US to shoot PRS comps.... Prior to *cough*.

I know my local club is starting the hunter class which appears to emulate NRL hunter.

My observation of PRS is that the meta has so far been single dimensional - get 6mm Dasher in a weighted chassis. This is a little more amusing in Australia as the brass is difficult to get and practically impossible to import.

I would like to see a competition that encourages different builds and incorporates some level of physical preparation.

Would be good to introduce energy/calibre classes, and courses requiring more mobility to incentivise lighter set ups.

We only recently started PRS in Australia. I know a few blokes (that's Aussie for adult with male genitalia) that have flown to the US to shoot PRS comps.... Prior to *cough*.

I know my local club is starting the hunter class which appears to emulate NRL hunter.

My observation of PRS is that the meta has so far been single dimensional - get 6mm Dasher in a weighted chassis. This is a little more amusing in Australia as the brass is difficult to get and practically impossible to import.

I would like to see a competition that encourages different builds and incorporates some level of physical preparation.

Would be good to introduce energy/calibre classes, and courses requiring more mobility to incentivise lighter set ups.
That is effectively what NRL hunter is. Max weight 16lbs, energy requirement of roughly 130grn going 2900fps. All stages are blind.

Reactions: Huckmeat
there's some video clips of the recent match in CA on FB. was evidently pretty tough in spots. Watched several shooters time out that had a hard time finding both targets and even then, finding it then finding a spot to shoot. Where u could shot one target , didn't work for the other. In fact on one, the fella had to move to a completely different location probably 10-15' away from his first shot and had to shoot off his bipod. That's what makes it a sport and fun

That is effectively what NRL hunter is. Max weight 16lbs, energy requirement of roughly 130grn going 2900fps. All stages are blind.
That's true but I think my choice of words were suboptimal.

I meant rather than impose hard rules to shoehorn people's choices, I would rather see courses adapted based on the outcome and predominant strategies from previous competitions.

Rather than say "max 16lb", if most ranked shooters are opting to push the 16lb ceiling, perhaps increase the distance between shooting stations, add some stairs/ladders... Organic change.

That's true but I think my choice of words were suboptimal.

I meant rather than impose hard rules to shoehorn people's choices, I would rather see courses adapted based on the outcome and predominant strategies from previous competitions.

Rather than say "max 16lb", if most ranked shooters are opting to push the 16lb ceiling, perhaps increase the distance between shooting stations, add some stairs/ladders... Organic change.
go shoot PRS. If the shooters don't want to shoot what this was set up for, fuck'm , go shoot PRS. Alway someone wanting to game the system to fit what "they" want. Fuck the ranked shooters

go shoot PRS. If the shooters don't want to shoot what this was set up for, fuck'm , go shoot PRS. Alway someone wanting to game the system to fit what "they" want. Fuck the ranked shooters
An offhand stage or super wobbly rest stage really torques off the gamers, but makes the real shooters smile with appreciation.

Reactions: forthehunt
I
An offhand stage or super wobbly rest stage really torques off the gamers, but makes the real shooters smile with appreciation.
We have a series here called PSR (it's not PRS. Don't know why they'd choose such a similar name).

Takes a little of PRS and a little NRL Hunter.

Too bad about the name as they'd undoubtedly lose some potential fanbase to search results/correction.

Maybe "Practical Marksmanship Shooting." PMS has a nice ring to it.

I

We have a series here called PSR (it's not PRS. Don't know why they'd choose such a similar name).

Takes a little of PRS and a little NRL Hunter.

Too bad about the name as they'd undoubtedly lose some potential fanbase to search results/correction.

Maybe "Practical Marksmanship Shooting." PMS has a nice ring to it.
PMS is a fact of hetero life. It’s good to have a laugh.

Yea, I’m sure guys like Austin Orgain or Jon Pynch aren’t “real shooters” and don’t know what they’re doing. 😂

Depends what your definition is. If you mean they are capable of learning things, you are correct. If you mean they already possess the skills of more than a “barricade benchrest” then you are incorrect depending on the shooter.

For example, last year at the Brawl, Jacob didn’t allow bags the second day. I was hanging out at the rooftops. The target was generous and not an issue to hit if you know how to run your rifle without a bag.

I watched several top (some bullet winners) get 50% hits at the most, and some down as low as 20 and 30%. They were all trying to rest the rifle on the rooftop just in front of their magwell like you would with a bag.

They didn’t know that all you have to do is get the front of your rifle as far forward as possible (like you want with a bipod), and then it’s just an NPA and breathing issue.

We thought maybe it was harder than we realized, so we shot it. No problem hitting it. Later in the day a 14yr old girl that shoots at RO sometimes(so has experience with Jacob’s style) cleaned the stage.

People make the mistake of thinking just because it’s fairly the same time of rifle system, current PRS type matches are an entirely different discipline than field or “sniper” matches.

Since prs was born from those matches, people still associate it. But we are as different as prs is from F class.

Could a top prs shooter learn how to shoot F class well, most likely. But they wouldn’t be expected to do so immediately. Same with this.

And I will concede that prs is closer to hunter series than prs is to field type matches. So the learning curve will be faster for hunter stuff.

Reactions: Birddog6424
Depends what your definition is. If you mean they are capable of learning things, you are correct. If you mean they already possess the skills of more than a “barricade benchrest” then you are incorrect depending on the shooter.

For example, last year at the Brawl, Jacob didn’t allow bags the second day. I was hanging out at the rooftops. The target was generous and not an issue to hit if you know how to run your rifle without a bag.

I watched several top (some bullet winners) get 50% hits at the most, and some down as low as 20 and 30%. They were all trying to rest the rifle on the rooftop just in front of their magwell like you would with a bag.

They didn’t know that all you have to do is get the front of your rifle as far forward as possible (like you want with a bipod), and then it’s just an NPA and breathing issue.

We thought maybe it was harder than we realized, so we shot it. No problem hitting it. Later in the day a 14yr old girl that shoots at RO sometimes(so has experience with Jacob’s style) cleaned the stage.

People make the mistake of thinking just because it’s fairly the same time of rifle system, current PRS type matches are an entirely different discipline than field or “sniper” matches.

Since prs was born from those matches, people still associate it. But we are as different as prs is from F class.

Could a top prs shooter learn how to shoot F class well, most likely. But they wouldn’t be expected to do so immediately. Same with this.

And I will concede that prs is closer to hunter series than prs is to field type matches. So the learning curve will be faster for hunter stuff.

Are you actually arguing that Austin Orgain isn't much more than a "barricade benchrest" shooter? Because he didn't clean 1 gimmick stage?

Are you actually arguing that Austin Orgain isn't much more than a "barricade benchrest" shooter? Because he didn't clean 1 gimmick stage?
take away the supports and you might be surprised about many shooters and their abilities

take away the supports and you might be surprised about many shooters and their abilities

He finished #2 in the Hornady PRC AG match, which is as much of a field match as it gets. Please post your recent scores at a field match and then we can evaluate whether you have any credibility, or if this is just a boomer opinion.

I think Austin won the match. Shooting 1 stage and drawing a conclusion while everyone shoots 10 bagless stages has its advantages. They have fatigue while you got to witness the best way to game that 1 stage. Quarterbacking 1 stage is a little easier then winning the match.

Steady position/support is one of the fundamentals of marksmanship. Of course it will effect shooting. Water is wet, fire is hot.

Steady position/support is one of the fundamentals of marksmanship. Of course it will effect shooting. Water is wet, fire is hot.
The irony is military/LE and the more traditional field shooting fall behind and follow the competitive shooters and their "games" from the gear to the skills. Has been this was since military snipers in WW2 became a thing and codified around Vietnam.

It would be much easier for a top PRS shooter who already mastered various prone and positional shooting to go to a field match and clean up than a top military/LE guy going to a PRS match. We see this all the time and the results aren't pretty.

Now the ranging and finding targets on the clock/blind is a different skillets, but IMO is a much lessor learning curve than someone mastering positional shooting.

It wouldn't take long for the Top PRS shooters to dominate, and if you look at the RTC and Hunter series, its the same people at the top who are winning PRS.

I think Austin won the match. Shooting 1 stage and drawing a conclusion while everyone shoots 10 bagless stages has its advantages. They have fatigue while you got to witness the best way to game that 1 stage. Quarterbacking 1 stage is a little easier then winning the match.

1: He didn’t win
2: He had a big lead after first day as he didn’t miss a shot on first day (very impressive)
3: I watched several stages that day and used one as an example
4: I didn’t single him out. It was several as I said (should have said bullet winners, golden was typo as there were a few there)

And I didn’t just “witness” how to game a stage. Anyone who has either trained or had to compete in matches before these types of bags knows these techniques.

It doesn’t matter if it’s a rooftop, barricade, or rope. When you don’t have a bag, you as a shooter become part of the support system. There’s almost never a situation where you will balance the rifle the same location without a bag as we do now with a bag.

Your suggestion of best way to game a stage illustrates my point perfectly. Most shooting matches haven’t had to learn the skill (nothing wrong with this) of shooting without a bag. So much so that someone reading and example doesn’t even realize it’s a common skill that used to be a staple.

That would be same as saying someone who’s never used a bag wouldn’t be a good example when they don’t know how to shoot a prs barricade.

A rooftop without a bag is pretty much the non bag example of a prs barricade with a bag. Everyone knows how to shoot it, if they have the knowledge an experience.

Reactions: 308pirate
The irony is military/LE and the more traditional field shooting fall behind and follow the competitive shooters and their "games" from the gear to the skills. Has been this was since military snipers in WW2 became a thing and codified around Vietnam.

It would be much easier for a top PRS shooter who already mastered various prone and positional shooting to go to a field match and clean up than a top military/LE guy going to a PRS match. We see this all the time and the results aren't pretty.

Now the ranging and finding targets on the clock/blind is a different skillets, but IMO is a much lessor learning curve than someone mastering positional shooting.

It wouldn't take long for the Top PRS shooters to dominate, and if you look at the RTC and Hunter series, its the same people at the top who are winning PRS.

I 100% agree with this.

1: He didn’t win
2: He had a big lead after first day as he didn’t miss a shot on first day (very impressive)
3: I watched several stages that day and used one as an example
4: I didn’t single him out. It was several as I said (should have said bullet winners, golden was typo as there were a few there)

And I didn’t just “witness” how to game a stage. Anyone who has either trained or had to compete in matches before these types of bags knows these techniques.

It doesn’t matter if it’s a rooftop, barricade, or rope. When you don’t have a bag, you as a shooter become part of the support system. There’s almost never a situation where you will balance the rifle the same location without a bag as we do now with a bag.

Your suggestion of best way to game a stage illustrates my point perfectly. Most shooting matches haven’t had to learn the skill (nothing wrong with this) of shooting without a bag. So much so that someone reading and example doesn’t even realize it’s a common skill that used to be a staple.

That would be same as saying someone who’s never used a bag wouldn’t be a good example when they don’t know how to shoot a prs barricade.

A rooftop without a bag is pretty much the non bag example of a prs barricade with a bag. Everyone knows how to shoot it, if they have the knowledge an experience.

I don’t think anyone disagrees with this. Mil/le training is about meeting a standard, then going home. How many times have we’ve seen “leaders” turn in a score card and they were never even there. And how many rounds are mil/le allocated to train with… not a lot.

To Felix-there’s tons of competitions that shoot without a bag. But we can agree that being in a scenario before, teaches you how to deal with that scenario next time. #gaming

Gaming, learning, mastering - everyone’s going to look at the best way to shoot something until they experience a better way. I know your talking about becoming the support system, but where did you place in the competition. I’m hoping above bullet winners so that it cements what you state.

The idea that someone needs to beat others who have different ideas to have a useful contribution is logically flawed. It speaks of being prejudiced a certain way. A champion shooter already has sound fundamentals and a well refined practice/learning regime to meet the expected requirements. Unless something really unusual is sprung on them, I expect they will adapt more quickly and effectively than a less capable shooter. Expecting them to be kicking ass the first time they try a different twist can be a bit much, but true champions can adapt quicker than most.

I don’t think anyone disagrees with this. Mil/le training is about meeting a standard, then going home. How many times have we’ve seen “leaders” turn in a score card and they were never even there. And how many rounds are mil/le allocated to train with… not a lot.

To Felix-there’s tons of competitions that shoot without a bag. But we can agree that being in a scenario before, teaches you how to deal with that scenario next time. #gaming

Gaming, learning, mastering - everyone’s going to look at the best way to shoot something until they experience a better way. I know your talking about becoming the support system, but where did you place in the competition. I’m hoping above bullet winners so that it cements what you state.

If one has to place higher then someone to have an opinion, then everyone here should stop posting immediately.

Typical defense when there’s no longer logic to solidify a counter argument.

Do you manufacture scopes or rifles? If not, how can you comment on them? One can keep going down this rabbit hole if non constructive counterpoints with everything.

As for that match, I wasn’t shooting as the ice storm had everyone stuck inside and Jacob asked me to help with the match. Though if you like I can link my last two matches at Tx Precision where I’m above 2 day match winners 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

This is actually a good topic. I think we’ll talk about it on the next podcast.

Reactions: Nosteponsnek
Again, this is not criticizing those top shooters. They are great. The first day performance was very impressive. Not sure how many have cleaned an entire day at Rifles Only before. I’m sure very few if any.

My point is just that comparing modern PRS shooters to a classic match shooting like Rifles Only is at times is in the same area as comparing them to F class shooters.

It’s just evolves into a different game than where it started. And there’s nothing wrong with that.

Reactions: 6.5SH
My only complaint about NRL Hunter is the Power factor. If you don't make PF you are not scored, no prize table. Simple fix is to have minor/major power factor scoring. That's literally the only thing I'd change about it. And I'd probably add a predator class. 223/556 class

My only complaint about NRL Hunter is the Power factor. If you don't make PF you are not scored, no prize table. Simple fix is to have minor/major power factor scoring. That's literally the only thing I'd change about it. And I'd probably add a predator class. 223/556 class
there's that one word in there , "hunter". This league was fashioned for , there's that word again, "hunting" Your not hunting anything past 3-400 yds and killing it cleanly with a 243 or 556. Thus the power factor. Even short barreled 6.5's aren't going to do it. I'm glad they've got it and hope they keep it. By the numbers entering the match's, seems it's being plenty embraced for the way it is. Let the whiners go shoot somewhere else.

Why? Its supposed to simulate hunting in a format that can be fun, challenging and actually possible with 100+ shooters over 2 days.

People keep bitching about PF, like no one who competes thinks its an issue. You can buy a $800 gun and $1000 scope and win with it.

PF is fine where it is, in fact, I would like it higher. I think 6.5PRC should be the minimum. A 150gr bullet going 3K FPS. Would like to see more .270, 300WSM and 7rem Mags instead of purpose build game guns like my 16lb $12K gun shooting a 6.5cm.

At the end of the day you are there to get better and expereince shoots that would take a lifetime of hunting to aquire. You aren't competing against the top PRS shooters who also win Hunter. Worry about you and your game and how it can make you a better hunter.

there's that one word in there , "hunter". This league was fashioned for , there's that word again, "hunting" Your not hunting anything past 3-400 yds and killing it cleanly with a 243 or 556. Thus the power factor. Even short barreled 6.5's aren't going to do it. I'm glad they've got it and hope they keep it. By the numbers entering the match's, seems it's being plenty embraced for the way it is. Let the whiners go shoot somewhere else.
You think USPSA would be where they are at today if they only scored major power factor? I think not sir.

Reactions: godofthunder
I'm all for drawing in more competitors and growing the sport. Not catering to the top 10% . I'm not whining or complaining at all I just see a huge gap in the sport and every time I see a new sport in the precision rifle game I see all the short falls. PRS and NRL cater to the 10% and everyone knows it. And I'll be honest I think having a two day match is ridiculous. And I also think the round count is way to high and entry fees are way to high. These organizations are limiting the sport wayyyy too much. These matches are not economical at all. Not even close. Do I wanna spend close to $500 just to shoot a match and not make PF and not be scored and not have a chance at the prize table. Hell no! You wanna grow the sport? Make it economical. Make it to where the local guy can compete. Having major/ minor power factor scoring would change the sport in a positive way. And if you don't think it would, you are part of the problem not the solution.

Reactions: Fowlmaster
I'm all for drawing in more competitors and growing the sport. Not catering to the top 10% . I'm not whining or complaining at all I just see a huge gap in the sport and every time I see a new sport in the precision rifle game I see all the short falls. PRS and NRL cater to the 10% and everyone knows it. And I'll be honest I think having a two day match is ridiculous. And I also think the round count is way to high and entry fees are way to high. These organizations are limiting the sport wayyyy too much. These matches are not economical at all. Not even close. Do I wanna spend close to $500 just to shoot a match and not make PF and not be scored and not have a chance at the prize table. Hell no! You wanna grow the sport? Make it economical. Make it to where the local guy can compete. Having major/ minor power factor scoring would change the sport in a positive way. And if you don't think it would, you are part of the problem not the solution.
You are litlerly in a NRL hunter One thread, which is going to give you what you are asking for, although we don't know the details yet. This is your economical option.

NRL hunter blends PRS with Hunting to form a different game. It lets PRS shooters do something different and break up the same old and allows hunters to experience shooting scenarios that will only make them better on big game.

Its an expensive sport/hobby/game. PRS looks expensive until you see how much some guys spend to hunt big game. Travel, trophy fees, custom guns, land leases, RV's,ect.

Every state has requirements on equipment to kill game. Some are more restrictive than others. I grew up where you could only kill deer with a Bow or a Shotgun slug. What do you think the Power Factor is of a 1 Oz slug going 1300 FPS?

Can't afford to play? Get a better job, make better choices or pick a new hobby. Power factor is not stopping anyone from shooting.

You are litlerly in a NRL hunter One thread, which is going to give you what you are asking for, although we don't know the details yet. This is your economical option.

NRL hunter blends PRS with Hunting to form a different game. It lets PRS shooters do something different and break up the same old and allows hunters to experience shooting scenarios that will only make them better on big game.

Its an expensive sport/hobby/game. PRS looks expensive until you see how much some guys spend to hunt big game. Travel, trophy fees, custom guns, land leases, RV's,ect.

Every state has requirements on equipment to kill game. Some are more restrictive than others. I grew up where you could only kill deer with a Bow or a Shotgun slug. What do you think the Power Factor is of a 1 Oz slug going 1300 FPS?

Can't afford to play? Get a better job, make better choices or pick a new hobby. Power factor is not stopping anyone from shooting.
Trust me I agree with everything you are saying and I'm not arguing with anyone. Just pitching a very simple idea that allows anyone to be scored.

Of course these games are catering to the top 10-25% of the shooters. Those are the folks at every match and supporting the organization enough to keep it going. The majority of folks are casual participants and play one or two of the games a year.

Hopefully, Hunter One will be better venue for the one-day match and general participant. Personally, I love the two day matches. If I'm going to spend my time and money to travel what's another night's lodging? Round count being high? Really, what's that all about?

Of course these games are catering to the top 10-25% of the shooters. Those are the folks at every match and supporting the organization enough to keep it going. The majority of folks are casual participants and play one or two of the games a year.

Hopefully, Hunter One will be better venue for the one-day match and general participant. Personally, I love the two day matches. If I'm going to spend my time and money to travel what's another night's lodging? Round count being high? Really, what's that all about?
Go to your local gun shop and try to buy 150 rounds of 140 eldm/x right now. I'll hold my breath. Oh also pick me up some 135 classic hunters or 140 hybrids.

Reactions: godofthunder