• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NRL22 vs. PRS Rimfire vs ???

The main NRL22 match that I shoot uses these for targets past 200 -

Expensive, but make calling impacts straightforward. We don’t have more than 2 stages in any given match with targets that far out.
I have one and it works great - might have to pick up another one!

I'll have to ask Todd about 200....as for 600 we would need different targets, as the clubs centerfire ones would be hard to see impacts on (i think). I've certainly stretched out my 22 to 600 (25 dial up and 11.6 hold over) but never hit the steel, just saw dirt kick up left and right of it.

It's certainly a option, and I'm willing to get something going if enough folks are interested into stretching their 22 out
we use diamond plate for targets past 175 or so. after a season and a few hundred hits the plate is certainly bent up but it works very well, is cheap/free if you find it as scrap, and makes a nice sound and movement

This "season", which started 2 months ago, I started doing a 25% cash pay out to class winners. Then at the season "finale", I will pay out the balance. So, a running balance of 75% of match fees will be paid out. Shooters like money!! Archers like trophies, but gun guys like green backs.

Also, this season I done away with the typical "classes." I have 2 classes: Heavy gun and Light gun. over 10.5lbs = Heavy gun. Under 10.5;bs = Light gun. I do have Young Guns, with the same weight classes. So, I guess you could say I have 4 classes.
Another option for the more informal matches - especially with cash payout! - is Lewis class scoring because everyone, regardless of skill level, regardless of the rifle, has an equal chance at winning a "class." The only guaranteed winner is top gun. Everybody else has the same chance of winning an equal share of the purse.

It's been my opinion for decades that Lewis scoring makes cash-purse events much more attractive to everyone. Wish we had some of that in my region... for all that I wish we had more rimfire events of any sort....

You are aware NRL22 (not the X matches) offers stages to clubs now with 100 yards and in as well as "option 2" that goes beyond 100 for every stage?

You are aware NRL22X came first right?

You aren't wrong on some points...and I'm far from the first guy to say the NRL does no wrong. But you might want to talk to your clubs and see why they aren't mixing in the option 2 format stages. Unless of course if they don't have the room.

Over here in eastern SD. We have a NRL22 match almost every week available to us among like 5 different venues. Our clubs offer trophies, cash payouts, and random draw prizes that definitely help motivate people to come. We also have the awards held at local nearby bars so people can eat, hang out, and mingle after the match.

We have 3 dudes who drive 6hrs one way just for my local match as well as for a few shorter distance ones.

I chuckle when I hear people say these events aren't challenging. We have top guys who practically almost clean 7 stages and winners are commonly determined by the timed tie breaker. So if missing a target or two drops you 5 places doesn't sound like a challenge...I don't know what to tell you.

If anything I'd like to see one or two clubs drop NRL22 and go outlaw or PRS22 just so we have even more variety in stages offered a month.

If clubs are seeing a decline I bet its due to the environment the club is fostering or the lack of return on investment for some shooters. MD's who put effort in to their events doing things like getting sponsors to donate prizes or something as minor as small trophy for each Division winner goes a long way to get people in the door and coming back. As well as having people do practice sessions or train-ups to help people build skills so newcomers don't feel like they are coming there to get freight trained by the top shooters.
We just had 210 shooters at the NRL National Championships. NRL gives you stages to compete against the entire country. They have 2 options. It is also nice to have the stages given to us so we only have to set up. Which is nice to see where you stood each month. The reason for the drop... AMMO. People want to shoot, but this is the WORST time since the sport was introduced to get into the sport. You can't find ammo like we use too. You use to be able to go into stores, pick up 3 50 rounders, sight into that lot, and shoot the day. Would cost you $24. Now, you can't find the ammo, it's double the price if you find it on a shelf and you are lucky if you find it. Is it expensive to be a member? I do think it is a bit high. $30 seems more reasonable, BUT, members are entered in a drawing and I have a buddy who has one a couple prizes from that. And the national prize table was amazing. What I have heard about PRS, is that they are only about the money. I have met the owner at NRL and they are amazing people. They do a lot for the sport. PRS is big down here in the southern Midwest, but I don't see them doing anything for the sport really. Match directors... Yes, but the actual PRS... No.

Reactions: Rthur and rookie7
Never cared to join the NRL or PRS leagues, just wanted to get out and bring a few buddies to shoot. As the local club match fee's kept climbing my participation and others dwindled. My local NRL club recently switched to PRS Rimfire and now monthly matches are $50. I'm sure the club has to pay the range a higher fee to hold the event but $50 a match doesn't attract new shooters. (Local: NRA Bullseye 2700 match is $20, F-class NRA matches are $40).

I’m really surprised for my area SW Ohio there are not any matches within a hour for either nrl or prs 22. They are all two hours plus which is strange do to all the uspsa matches around here. And the fact that membership ranges are typically 100 yards for the area. I just assumed there would be more for 22 ranges in SW Ohio, Northern KY and Eastern Indiana. I’ve checked the websites for both orgs and I’m not seeing much. I guess I’m not into driving 2+ hours for a match.

Compared to my upbringing where bullseye competition ruled the day, I would say nrl22 is far from boring.
having limited props that can be easily replicated at low cost is attractive to clubs with limited budgets and resources. I look at 22 matches as an entity unto themselves, not as a substitute or understudy for center fire.
the idea of having a 100 yard and in range limitation ( with option for further distances) brings the largest amount of venues into the game. growing up in the northeast where I did there were dozens of shooting clubs- almost every community had one, and almost every one had a rifle range limited to 100 yard.
as far as the comment on dumping standing stages- Why? It is another challenge and has been a common way to shoot for centuries. Back When I shot high power rifle bullseye competition it was the stage that made or broke you.

criticism for all these types of events- cost! Range fees / match fees need to be kept far more reasonable than many I have seen at sanctioned matches. If the original intent of nrl22 was to bring in new shooters the idea of $100+ entry fees is a loser. Same with the nrl22 annual dues. they would be much farther ahead if the annual membership was about half what they charge.
perhaps I don’t understand the business model, but most matches I attend have entry fees of $20 or less, and don’t see where the need to charge $100 or more comes from.

Reactions: vaguru
Humm, I'm just getting into this "precision" 22 stuff. I've gone deep down the rabbit hole. But I'll be damned if I'll ever pay $100 to shoot. There are no nrl matches close to me, that I know of, but I wanted to attend one, but not at anywhere near that price for a local match. A national or regional match, OK.

If the original intent of nrl22 was to bring in new shooters the idea of $100+ entry fees is a loser. Same with the nrl22 annual dues. they would be much farther ahead if the annual membership was about half what they charge.
perhaps I don’t understand the business model, but most matches I attend have entry fees of $20 or less, and don’t see where the need to charge $100 or more comes from.
Matches that cost that much are not the norm. Usually it is a regional level event or multi-day event to cost $100 and are occurring once or twice a year. They have as many as 15-20 or more stages. And payouts/prizes make the entry fee much saner of a proposition. Its not necessarily a "entry level" event although it could be for some.

I have not seen a NRL22X match ask $100.

The $20 entry fee matches are 5-8 stages. They are monthly in nature. Payouts/prizes are little or non existent. Its a low risk....often low reward....but still highly competitive event that still requires much skill and consistency to win regardless of Division. As NRL22 divisions are not skill based....they are equipment based.

The annual NRL22 organization fee is not a requirement to come and compete. Clubs may ask you to....because the NRL incentives it. But they themselves do not require it. Membership is only for those who wish to compete in the points race and/or wish to attend the National Championship. A non-member can come shoot any monthly match they wish.

We just had a two day event here local to me. It was $100 for both days. Or you could come on day 2 for like $25 and something like the 5 monthly NRL stages (if you wanted to compete for less or get your monthly points) and another 5 match specific stages. You were left out of the prizes/cash payouts if you did not pay for both days. But you do get a lot more shooting for same amount of money as the month's prior monthly match.

Reactions: usafa77
OK then, that sounds more like it. I shoot local uspsa, steel challenge, and idpa matches that are $10-20. I do shoot one or two matches that are over $100, but they are big regionals.

We just had 210 shooters at the NRL National Championships. NRL gives you stages to compete against the entire country. They have 2 options. It is also nice to have the stages given to us so we only have to set up. Which is nice to see where you stood each month. The reason for the drop... AMMO. People want to shoot, but this is the WORST time since the sport was introduced to get into the sport. You can't find ammo like we use too. You use to be able to go into stores, pick up 3 50 rounders, sight into that lot, and shoot the day. Would cost you $24. Now, you can't find the ammo, it's double the price if you find it on a shelf and you are lucky if you find it. Is it expensive to be a member? I do think it is a bit high. $30 seems more reasonable, BUT, members are entered in a drawing and I have a buddy who has one a couple prizes from that. And the national prize table was amazing. What I have heard about PRS, is that they are only about the money. I have met the owner at NRL and they are amazing people. They do a lot for the sport. PRS is big down here in the southern Midwest, but I don't see them doing anything for the sport really. Match directors... Yes, but the actual PRS... No.
RO'd at this match, plenty of diversity in stage type and call of fire.
While this is a finale I've shot a couple or better that do a solid job with the monthly call of fire.

R

Never cared to join the NRL or PRS leagues, just wanted to get out and bring a few buddies to shoot. As the local club match fee's kept climbing my participation and others dwindled. My local NRL club recently switched to PRS Rimfire and now monthly matches are $50. I'm sure the club has to pay the range a higher fee to hold the event but $50 a match doesn't attract new shooters. (Local: NRA Bullseye 2700 match is $20, F-class NRA matches are $40).
It all depends on what you are trying to do. Each match cost to register. So Lets do the math on 10 shooters showing up just to make this easy. For me as a match director, I do 8-10 stages depending on the time of year. I have special targets as the ground is too hard to pound stands in. So I am at $1000 just in basic NRL 22 targets. Then a couple hundred in props. So for easy math, lets do $1500 I needed to spend to host matches at my club (ive spent more because I like having fun targets as well). So it cost $20 to register your club, $35 to register a shoot, and it cost me $10 to the club for every shooter that shows up. So if 10 shooters show up, of the fee, I am out $15.50 per shooter just to make the shoot happen. Now I am also giving away a rifle to a youth shooter. This is obviously coming out of my pocket. So if I charge $30 for the shoot, I am losing money to host the shoot each month. Now I don't have to do the give aways or have as nice of targets, but it was important to me to try and grow the sport. I know things are tough, but if MD are not "well off", then they may just be trying to recoop what they had to pay to be able to host the shoots. Just my 2 cents on the topic.

Reactions: Manning5R
It all depends on what you are trying to do. Each match cost to register. So Lets do the math on 10 shooters showing up just to make this easy. For me as a match director, I do 8-10 stages depending on the time of year. I have special targets as the ground is too hard to pound stands in. So I am at $1000 just in basic NRL 22 targets. Then a couple hundred in props. So for easy math, lets do $1500 I needed to spend to host matches at my club (ive spent more because I like having fun targets as well). So it cost $20 to register your club, $35 to register a shoot, and it cost me $10 to the club for every shooter that shows up. So if 10 shooters show up, of the fee, I am out $15.50 per shooter just to make the shoot happen. Now I am also giving away a rifle to a youth shooter. This is obviously coming out of my pocket. So if I charge $30 for the shoot, I am losing money to host the shoot each month. Now I don't have to do the give aways or have as nice of targets, but it was important to me to try and grow the sport. I know things are tough, but if MD are not "well off", then they may just be trying to recoop what they had to pay to be able to host the shoots. Just my 2 cents on the topic.

Sounds like your club isn't interested in helping?

Our club paid for all the targets to start. We're a not-for-profit with a board of directors though, so the only costs the club sees are land taxes and maintenance (replacing targets, spraying weeds, grading roads, etc). This is covered with a once yearly raffle fundraiser where we give away 30 guns, tickets are $50 and they only sell 500. This money keeps the majority of the club funded and was paying the land off. The improvements get spread across the pistol, rifle, airgun, cowboy, skeet, and sporting clays ranges.

We charge $20 a match, and $10 goes into the 22 account, and $10 goes to the end of year prize table. Usually have 15-25 shooters at the monthly match.
The 22 account is used to keep buying more targets, hit indicators, etc without board approval. We can ask the board for extra $ if we see the need.

200 is very doable with our current targets and it's not so much as seeing impacts, just hearing/seeing it move with thick steel.

Shot a match a couple weeks ago out to 385, which was a 15 inch diamond with a flasher on it. It was easy to see with the flasher.

I shoot as many matches as my schedule allows- the $20 a pop type.happy to do so.
for me the shooting and challenging myself and I proving my skills IS the reward
I honestly am not good enough to be a prize contender at national level. So not being a member is fine by me.

Reactions: Sc0- and Rocketboy
Have seen/shot thin steel at 300 in a match that reacted well even in the wind.

R

The targets 300 and in I could see the impacts on the steel. When I was getting my dope dialed in I was able to see impacts on a 12 inch tall 1/2 in ipsc at 300.