• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NRL22 vs. PRS Rimfire vs ???

Tortuga

To be seen is to be caught
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2009
NH
Does it seem like NRL22 as an organization is on the decline in anyone else's region? From the New England prospective it looks like most of the places hosting the monthly COF stopped and you have to travel 1,000mi+ for most NRL22X matches. The one big NE NRL22X match cancelled due to low interest. I see that rimfire precision is a hot commodity, but is there a format war? Has NRL turned into "it's NRL22X or nothing" or has PRS Rimfire taken the wind out of NRL's sails?

Central NC here. Other than the little shooting-gallery-style monthly match held at Durham Pistol & Rifle Club (two or three racks of 20 steel targets depending on event, 1.5-4 MOA or so in size, 50-100-150 yards), not much happens here either. Frontline Defense runs one or two PRS-style rimfire events each year... last two drew no more than 35 shooters, while actual PRS events are well-attended - this weekend's two-day match has 94 shooters registered. At least one NRL22 event hosted at a new venue down east was canceled for lack of entrants. Another guy put a lot of effort into starting a PRS-style rimfire series... ran 3 or 4 matches.. and that's the last anybody heard of it.

Somebody speculated that the ammo shortage is playing a role. I don't know. Rimfire PRS-style matches (target sets) are relatively easy to set up compared to full-size PRS targets since the ranges are 1/3 the distance of full PRS.

So I don't know. One has to wait months for a new Vudoo repeater - are there that many people who will spend $3-5k on a top-rung rifle/optic and go shoot tin cans with it? 😲 Everyone I know who owns a Vudoo (5-10 that I can think of offhand) shoots centerfire and rimfire PRS / PRS-style competition....

My personal opinion. NRL gets old really quickly. The there are often gimicky stages that just really aren’t fun. Under 100 yards gets old. They membership fees are 3x-4x more than PRS. Me and a couple buddies went and shot NRL and PRS after 2 or 3 NRL matches we were done. Zero interest in it. Maybe if it wasn’t a hour and a half away we would go more but I wouldn’t travel more than 20-30 minutes for a match. Now PRS we routinely travel 4 hours and willing to go farther to check out new matches.

After say all that the NRL still is good for a couple things. First and foremost new shooters. It’s awesome for new shooters being under 100 yards and not as intimidating. Also good because it only requires 100 yards which more people have access to.

NRL22X is trying to do what PRS is but check out how many matches there are a year vs PRS. There is a clear winner.

Shoot PRS.

My personal opinion. Under 100 yards gets old.

After say all that the NRL still is good for a couple things. First and foremost new shooters. It’s awesome for new shooters being under 100 yards and not as intimidating. Also good because it only requires 100 yards which more people have access to.
You are aware NRL22 (not the X matches) offers stages to clubs now with 100 yards and in as well as "option 2" that goes beyond 100 for every stage?

NRL22X is trying to do what PRS is but check out how many matches there are a year vs PRS. There is a clear winner.
You are aware NRL22X came first right?

You aren't wrong on some points...and I'm far from the first guy to say the NRL does no wrong. But you might want to talk to your clubs and see why they aren't mixing in the option 2 format stages. Unless of course if they don't have the room.

Over here in eastern SD. We have a NRL22 match almost every week available to us among like 5 different venues. Our clubs offer trophies, cash payouts, and random draw prizes that definitely help motivate people to come. We also have the awards held at local nearby bars so people can eat, hang out, and mingle after the match.

We have 3 dudes who drive 6hrs one way just for my local match as well as for a few shorter distance ones.

I chuckle when I hear people say these events aren't challenging. We have top guys who practically almost clean 7 stages and winners are commonly determined by the timed tie breaker. So if missing a target or two drops you 5 places doesn't sound like a challenge...I don't know what to tell you.

If anything I'd like to see one or two clubs drop NRL22 and go outlaw or PRS22 just so we have even more variety in stages offered a month.

If clubs are seeing a decline I bet its due to the environment the club is fostering or the lack of return on investment for some shooters. MD's who put effort in to their events doing things like getting sponsors to donate prizes or something as minor as small trophy for each Division winner goes a long way to get people in the door and coming back. As well as having people do practice sessions or train-ups to help people build skills so newcomers don't feel like they are coming there to get freight trained by the top shooters.

Last edited:
You are aware NRL22 (not the X matches) offers stages to clubs now with 100 yards and in as well as "option 2" that goes beyond 100 for every stage?

You are aware NRL22X came first right
Cool they came first but still look at the amount of NRL22X matches vs PRS.

Also that’s awesome that they are now offer to run the stage past 100 yards.

Still for me I have no interest in NRL and prefer PRS. Seems many others that I know are in the same boat unless the NRL match is really close to them.

For me in NRL22 matches I’m tired of shooting off the same stepladder, 5 gallon bucket, plastic saw horse or folding chair and I won’t pay $85 again to be a member.
Do you routinely clean the course of fire? Regarding the $85, is someone just supposed to make this happen out of the goodness of their heart? Aint' nobody gettin rich at NRL HQ.

Do you routinely clean the course of fire? Regarding the $85, is someone just supposed to make this happen out of the goodness of their heart? Aint' nobody gettin rich at NRL HQ.
PRS is $30 a year and you get a nice shirt from nineline apparel.
Doesn’t matter if you clean the course of fire. Boredom is boredom and dumb shit is dumb shit.

And when I say dumb shit. One cof had as basically doing burpies. Shoot, stand up, get down, shoot and repeat.
I will give them one thing. They finally got rid of the standing unsupported stages. Good for them on that one.

Reactions: JKW70 and usafa77
Does it seem like NRL22 as an organization is on the decline in anyone else's region? From the New England prospective it looks like most of the places hosting the monthly COF stopped and you have to travel 1,000mi+ for most NRL22X matches. The one big NE NRL22X match cancelled due to low interest. I see that rimfire precision is a hot commodity, but is there a format war? Has NRL turned into "it's NRL22X or nothing" or has PRS Rimfire taken the wind out of NRL's sails?
Not in my area. There are 2 clubs I can shoot the monthly COF at. Our club still draws 30+ for the monthly matches. The club a couple hours to the north of me has a good turn out as well.

I know more and more people getting into it.

Our club has always had targets out to 200 yards. We shoot the 5 monthly stages then our local MD creates another 3 stages that are always challenging. We also typically opt for the longer range option for the monthly.

I don't get bored with the stages. Every time we go out the weather can be different the wind will be blowing in different directions and at different wind speeds. We shoot in up 90 degree temps and down to freezing, heat and snow. So, it's never the same. While I've cleaned a few stages, I've yet to clean EVERY stage in a match. So I find it a challenge.

When it comes to X matches. I said I'd be willing to drive 8 hours to get to a match. With that drive time there are alot of matches within that radius. At least 7 or 8 within that day drive. With several only 6 hours away. There seems to be more matches this year than last so in my area it still continues to grow.

Do I think NRL is perfect? No. But when I remind myself what and why it was created it keeps my expectations realistic.

How about the drama? It seems that every month some one has some issue with NRL22 COF. When it is up to the MD, and its not one club vs the other who cares how a club shot the stage vs another.
  • Standing / Squatting
  • Target shape
  • Target size "because its windy"
  • Reverse roof top using big bags, chairs, ladders, long bipod, shooting mat
  • Having an unlimited round stage
The "best shooters" get an invite to championship from each club. The MDs know who the best shooters are, who cares how this club shoots vs the other club.
With PRS 22 is there as much drama? The MD makes the COF, shooters come shoot the COF, the MD submits the scores to track the best shooters at the match. Done? To simple?
Thoughts?

lol. I heard about that reverse rooftop. Imagine driving 1.5 hours or more to get to a match that is only 5 stages and then have some dumb shit like a reverse rooftop.

Definitely don’t see the drama with PRS.

Reactions: Delta Echo
the NRL22 COF are boring and sometimes not even possible to shoot for a lot of ranges (all 3 bottom legs of tank trap)

PRS on the East Coast reigns supreme. there isn't NRL anywhere besides the VT guys that run NRL22 and you know what happened with the NRL22X at Scarborough

most everyone shoots PRS centerfire in addition to now PRS Rimfire

NRL22 was nice when you didn't want to write all 10 stages for a match. but at Reading we started throwing out their bad stages and it got to the point they were all not worth using for various reasons. sometimes its the unsupported, sometimes its cause they used too many hangers and targets which limited the ability to run a full 5 other stages without having a massive inventory of targets and hangers

also. look at the density in the New England region. 10-12 centerfire and 18ish rimfire PRS points matches. PRS Fall Brawl, plus we had PRS New England and NRL Hunter both get cancelled and the schedule runs around 2 day matches so there are gaps on each end as best as possible.

thats 30 regional matches and 6-9 weeks of open spots for the National matches. quite the tight schedule when you're limited to March-October in reality at best.

i'd never drive more than 30-45 minutes to shoot an NRL22 5 stage match. ever. and that would be just to get out cause there was a random free weekend. If i really wanted i could setup and run an NRL22 match at reading on a week night with setup, shooting, and tear down for 10-15 guys if we had the interest, but it just isnt there

We have some of the best density of ranges in the entire country. I live in Boston and have 5 centerfire ranges within 3 hours, and 7-9 rimfire ranges in that same 3 hours. but that doesnt mean people are gonna shoot a 40 match schedule if we added NRL knowing the NRL finale also includes NRL22X and will never have a finale within driving range where PRS has the potential every few years to be within an easy drive or short flight

Clean matches no, clean stages yes. Have won several local matches and placed in the top 4 at a NRLX match that had 75 shooters. Didn’t say I hated NRL22 just tired of shooting off Mickey Mouse props. As far as the cost I was a USPSA member for 18 years for a membership fee of $25 a year. NRL22 needs to change their format and the cost of the membership. I understand wanting to rank people but requiring 5 stages a month of basically the same setup over and over is not needed. Take USPSA as an example. Matches only needed to have one stage at the match that was a qualifier.

Reactions: Delta Echo
Still not trying to knock NRL because it has done some amazing things for this sport and we wouldn't be where we are now with out NRL22.
That said I would prefer to shoot off of barricades like these rather than a bucket.
Its cool to see what different MDs can come up with.

Attachments

• Image from iOS.jpg
    Image from iOS.jpg
    700 KB · Views: 249
  • Image from iOS (1).png
    Image from iOS (1).png
    3.1 MB · Views: 268
  • Image from iOS (2).png
    Image from iOS (2).png
    2.9 MB · Views: 264
  • Image from iOS (3).png
    Image from iOS (3).png
    3.4 MB · Views: 257
  • Image from iOS.png
    Image from iOS.png
    3 MB · Views: 302
Reactions: BushyAR15
I'm in the PNW and all our ranges near me are only out to 200y so I'm happy with the NRL22 and option 2. For anything > 200 yards it's 2-4 hour drive. We have a pretty big centerfire population out here, but no one is running rimfire.

NRL22 the standard props and such has felt fun for about 2 years (this is my 2nd year doing this) and I have to agree it's a little boring now for a seasoned shooter. It's a great sport for getting starting shooters out and people I tell them they can buy these props from home depot and practice in their garage and not get overwhelmed. I think the format is great for a small local club kind of feel. ~20-30 shooters, 10 of them are base / new shooters. We then put in 3 stages that are generally more challenging with unique props.

As a local range, regardless, we're only going to have so many props and they eventually get old. I don't have infinite storage space or funds to build dozens of barricades. It's a lot of effort to keep innovating monthly. Even creating the 3 bonus stages sometimes monthly takes a bit of time.

I'm in the PNW and all our ranges near me are only out to 200y so I'm happy with the NRL22 and option 2. For anything > 200 yards it's 2-4 hour drive. We have a pretty big centerfire population out here, but no one is running rimfire.

NRL22 the standard props and such has felt fun for about 2 years (this is my 2nd year doing this) and I have to agree it's a little boring now for a seasoned shooter. It's a great sport for getting starting shooters out and people I tell them they can buy these props from home depot and practice in their garage and not get overwhelmed. I think the format is great for a small local club kind of feel. ~20-30 shooters, 10 of them are base / new shooters. We then put in 3 stages that are generally more challenging with unique props.

As a local range, regardless, we're only going to have so many props and they eventually get old. I don't have infinite storage space or funds to build dozens of barricades. It's a lot of effort to keep innovating monthly. Even creating the 3 bonus stages sometimes monthly takes a bit of time.
There’s 5 clubs within 2.5 hours drive of me. Four of them have got together and formed a series with the finale at the end of the year. 4 of the 5 no longer shoot NRL22 matches, I guess you could call them outlaw matches. With that being said my favorite one is out in the middle of a pasture, 10 stages, furthest distance is 200yds and it’s pretty much the same stages every month but all the props are what I call big boy props. The kind you would see at a centerfire match. I never get tired shooting it, I guess that’s just how I am. Too me the rimfire matches should mirror centerfire with the exception of distance. I’ll continue to shoot the NRL22 club but just because it’s only a 30 minute drive and I’m friends with the MD. I guess they’ll never please everyone but the guys I shoot with at these matches with the exception of a couple don’t like COF the NRL22 puts out every month and I’m not talking about 3-4 people. Just my two cents not trying to step on anyone’s toes.

i might be wrong but form what i know NRL only allows 2 matches (not local play around stuff) per state at one time

that is purposely limiting the amount of matches available

figure a state like texas which is huge or a state like NY or california that has 30-40 million people

i would think they could fill up more than 2 matches on a particular weekend

We have some of the best density of ranges in the entire country. I live in Boston and have 5 centerfire ranges within 3 hours, and 7-9 rimfire ranges in that same 3 hours. but that doesnt mean people are gonna shoot a 40 match schedule if we added NRL knowing the NRL finale also includes NRL22X and will never have a finale within driving range where PRS has the potential every few years to be within an easy drive or short flight
And in one post, my faith in precision shooting in New England is restored. Thank you for that.

Still not trying to knock NRL because it has done some amazing things for this sport and we wouldn't be where we are now with out NRL22.
That said I would prefer to shoot off of barricades like these rather than a bucket.
Its cool to see what different MDs can come up with.
Was that from the August MKM match? That was my first .22 precision match. It has spoiled me for any further matches!

I would have to drive 4.5 hours to get to the closest PRS Rimfire match, meanwhile my local club runs the monthly NRL22 COF along with a bonus stage or two. So clear winner there for me.

As for the stages, I agree that shooting off that sawhorse get's repetitive, but I have no problem shooting off the reverse rooftop – give me more that type of thing (without using a fucking folding chair LOL)

Was that from the August MKM match? That was my first .22 precision match. It has spoiled me for any further matches!
That was the March PRS match. Yeah MKM is definitely where its at for PRS in the NE region. But Richwood and Wyandot are good also.
Are you shooting regionals on the 10th?

Are you shooting regionals on the 10th?
Unfortunately no. My schedule for the rest of the year only leaves room for matches I can drive to/back in one day. MKM involves a 10hr drive each way and hotel stays. I had to outrun a hurricane coming back from the August NRL22X match. The one that tore up NY and CT.

And in one post, my faith in precision shooting in New England is restored. Thank you for that.
Don't let @b6graham scare you away 🤣
He tells it straight.
But Scarborough is evolving, and NRL22 is on every month still.
Only the 5 stages now, maybe some expansion.
I was so disappointed NRL22X was cancelled, same as the NRLH match this year in NH.
All in all, it's looking up for NE shooters, and the PRS series has been great fun with good people.

• Haha
Reactions: b6graham
Too me the rimfire matches should mirror centerfire with the exception of distance.
This 👆👆👆.

The rimfire matches I enjoy most are those utilizing exactly the same props as PRS, on the same ranges - it's just that the target distances are ~1/4 - 1/3 of PRS matches. The last one I shot had targets from 75 yards to 400 yards, shot from the same props used in PRS matches (the sets of barrels, pipes, tires, railroad ties, stair stringers, barricades, etc get rearranged enough to snare the unsuspecting). The 400-yard stage (187/355/400, 4 shots each, near to far, from prone) was a first for that distance as far as I know at that club. There was a bit of the omg I never shot that far my scope won't dial that high what shall I do...

Many of the PRS shooters tell the MD that more rimfire matches would be appreciated... but then the attendance at the last few has been piddling. Still... he says he can set up a 6-8 stage rimfire COF in a day, as opposed to 3 days to set up a centerfire PRS COF... and 30-40 guys paying $50 each to shoot seems like a reasonable ROI even after paying ROs.

I just want more PRS-style rimfire matches within a couple hours' drive... o, and run some when it isn't 100 outside (heat and humidity)... 😭

For me in NRL22 matches I’m tired of shooting off the same stepladder, 5 gallon bucket, plastic saw horse or folding chair and I won’t pay $85 again to be a member.

Exactly.

Same props, paper stages, too much moving around while trying to shoot. I get that it's a game, but let me move between props, not back and forth 5 times in the same 2 positions.

If you have multiple people cleaning the match....it means the match COF is too easy!!!! Just saying 😌
There's only been like 2 people who have EVER cleaned a standard 5 stage NRL22 COF....let alone that plus bonus stages. Plenty have come super close. I personally never anyone say that cleaning or coming close to cleaning a NRL22 COF was easy.

And now they have one or more 12 round stages each month....so there's 2 - 4 more rounds to potentially fuck it up.

There's only been like 2 people who have EVER cleaned a standard 5 stage NRL22 COF. Plenty have come super close.

And now they have one or more 12 round stages each month....so there's 2 - 4 more rounds to potentially fuck it up.
My local NRL22 matches are plenty challenging. I've never seen anyone shoot a perfect match. We get 40 degree temperature changes during the match, huge wind shifts every time, makes it pretty difficult. We usually have 50+ people at the monthly match.

"I chuckle when I hear people say these events aren't challenging. We have top guys who practically almost clean 7 stages and winners are commonly determined by the timed tie breaker. So if missing a target or two drops you 5 places doesn't sound like a challenge...I don't know what to tell you."

I guess I misread the excerpt you wrote above. My apologies 😉
There's only been like 2 people who have EVER cleaned a standard 5 stage NRL22 COF....let alone that plus bonus stages. Plenty have come super close. I personally never anyone say that cleaning or coming close to cleaning a NRL22 COF was easy.

I’ve shot 12 NR22 matches this summer in the Midwest. At most matches there are enough shooters to fill 3 to 5 squads. Nearly all of the matches have 2-3 additional stages that can be really challenging. Last month the farthest stage was 426 yards. Option 2 allows the MD to extend the ranges up to 200yards if the range allows. Above someone mentioned a”paper stage” and an “unsupported stage“ The Paper stage was eliminated over a year ago and the unsupported stage is only used once every four months And oddly it‘s one of my favorite. I’m not a big fan of bowling but I certainly don’t belittle the sport or the players. If you don’t like NRL22, don’t play. I’ll continue to enjoy shooting every weekend and I’m pretty sure the buddies I shot with will do the same.

I run NRL22 matches in northern Illinois.

My turn out is anywhere from 2 to 18 shooters. If even one person signs up, I'll go out and set it up.

For the most part I enjoy running the matches and also shooting the COF.

I also add 2 stages to each months COF. Last match we added pistol stage (Mark IV) where i provided the pistol and ammo.

Keeping things interesting is key. Occasionally, when things line up I'll have award plaques for top shooters.

There is usually a good balance of experienced and new shooters which I like, as it gets people interested in the rimfire and then centerfire style shooting.

I charge $30 for non club members, $20 for club members, $10 discount for MIL/LEO and ladies/young guns always shoot free.

The club is about an hour away from my house, and I want to say about an hour for everyone else who shoots.

Quite few shooters end up bringing their kids to the match, because usually after we shoot the match I let people use the bay for any practice/introduction to safety they want to do with their kids. It's low stress environment without centerfire rifles going off and they have the entire bay. This is great to teach kids how to navigate scope/etc and engage different distance targets.

What seems to be a match, which it is - it ends up being bunch of regulars who just like to hang out, shoot and talk shit while also introducing others to the sport in a great environment.

I can see how it gets repetitive. I'll continue to add and create stages to the NRL22 monthly COF and when the 200 yard bay construction completes, I'll be moving there to use option 2.

Personally, I've traveled and will travel up to 7 hours to attend a PRS Field style rimfire match.

Gadsden Center in MO ran a hybrid stage, where it was same stage, but you get to shoot rimfire or centerfire or BOTH if you want. Same obstacles/barricades just target distances are different. It was great hybrid match... Got people talking..

Last edited:

My turn out is anywhere from 2 to 18 shooters. If even one person signs up, I'll go out and set it up.

I also add 2 stages to each months COF. Last match we added pistol stage (Mark IV) where i provided the pistol and ammo.

Keeping things interesting is key. Occasionally, when things line up I'll have award plaques for top shooters.

There is usually a good balance of experienced and new shooters which I like, as it gets people interested in the rimfire and then centerfire style shooting.

I charge $30 for non club members, $20 for club members, $10 discount for MIL/LEO and ladies/young guns always shoot free.

The club is about an hour away from my house, and I want to say about an hour for everyone else who shoots.

Quite few shooters end up bringing their kids to the match, because usually after we shoot the match I let people use the bay for any practice/introduction to safety they want to do with their kids. It's low stress environment without centerfire rifles going off and they have the entire bay. This is great to teach kids how to navigate scope/etc and engage different distance targets.

What seems to be a match, which it is - it ends up being bunch of regulars who just like to hang out, shoot and talk shit while also introducing others to the sport in a great environment.

I can see how it gets repetitive. I'll continue to add and create stages to the NRL22 monthly COF and when the 200 yard bay construction completes, I'll be moving there to use option 2.

Personally, I've traveled and will travel up to 7 hours to attend a PRS Field style rimfire match.

Gadsden Center in MO ran a hybrid stage, where it was same stage, but you get to shoot rimfire or centerfire or BOTH if you want. Same obstacles/barricades just target distances are different. It was great hybrid match... Got people talking..

And we appreciate you! My drive is 90 minutes and I happily make that every month =)
Can't wait for the 200 yard bay, let's see what happens first… the bay or Vudoo shipping my order LOL

Reactions: Badjujuu
Setting up the COF each month is a big commitment. I’m so thankful for our MD who puts in the effort not only on target setup and obstacles but provides site in targets too. I’m wondering how many of those feeling less than satisfied with NRL22 have shot a perfect round? It’s harder than it appears. Always a challenge every month

You are aware NRL22X came first right?

You aren't wrong on some points...and I'm far from the first guy to say the NRL does no wrong. But you might want to talk to your clubs and see why they aren't mixing in the option 2 format stages. Unless of course if they don't have the room.

Over here in eastern SD. We have a NRL22 match almost every week available to us among like 5 different venues. Our clubs offer trophies, cash payouts, and random draw prizes that definitely help motivate people to come. We also have the awards held at local nearby bars so people can eat, hang out, and mingle after the match.

We have 3 dudes who drive 6hrs one way just for my local match as well as for a few shorter distance ones.

I chuckle when I hear people say these events aren't challenging. We have top guys who practically almost clean 7 stages and winners are commonly determined by the timed tie breaker. So if missing a target or two drops you 5 places doesn't sound like a challenge...I don't know what to tell you.

If anything I'd like to see one or two clubs drop NRL22 and go outlaw or PRS22 just so we have even more variety in stages offered a month.

If clubs are seeing a decline I bet its due to the environment the club is fostering or the lack of return on investment for some shooters. MD's who put effort in to their events doing things like getting sponsors to donate prizes or something as minor as small trophy for each Division winner goes a long way to get people in the door and coming back. As well as having people do practice sessions or train-ups to help people build skills so newcomers don't feel like they are coming there to get freight trained by the top shooters.
Where are you (and those matches) in eastern SD? I live in Dakota Dunes, SD... south of Sioux Falls and next to Sioux City, Iowa...would love to shoot them!

There's a NRL22 match every month in:

Canton,SD @ Souix River Sportman's range

Huron, SD @ Isaac Walton range

Watertown, SD @ city public range

Marshall, MN @ Redwood River Sportsman's range

Pierre, SD @ Willow Creek private range

....and one waaaay out west in Oral, SD.

You can shoot a match pretty much every week of the month for the most part. Most of the matches are held on Sundays. Watertown is always 2nd Sunday of the month. The rest usually announce what weekend works best for them when they can.

Here's what I got so far for dates for October.

I haven't shot this season yet. But you can sign up and shoot any of these. Good people at each.

Screenshot_20210930-000020_Calendar.jpg

You got NRL22 matches all around you....

Screenshot_20210930-001333_Chrome.jpg

I just shot my first NRL22 match with Badjujuu and it was awesome. A nice break from PRS centerfire type matches I will definitely be going to more and try to get more newbies to come out.

I just shot my first NRL22 match with Badjujuu and it was awesome. A nice break from PRS centerfire type matches I will definitely be going to more and try to get more newbies to come out.
It's great to have you - always nice to meet other club members and introduce them to nrl22

I'm hoping to grow the event and eventually use 200yd bays at ASC for these matches, while adding more challenging side stages...

Traveling out of state to shoot rimfire PRS Field matches is always great for the MD as we see how everyone else does it and what creative stages they put up. I always try to bring something back to implement into our own.

For the most part, our schedule is pretty regular with added "practice" days next year as members don't have the flexibility to emplace steel targets at various distances on the west side bays....

Luke

When I started running matches at my range in south/central Illinois, I did the NRL22 standard 5 stage COF. That got boring for people real quick. So, over the last 3 or so years, I basically do my own thing. My range is fortunate enough to have timber. So, I typically have 3-5 stages off of normal barricades, such as rooftop, PRS barricade, tires, etc. The rest of the normal 10 stage COF is off of natural barricades, Trees, stumps, tree stand, etc. I try incorporate a lot of physical movement and make it more "hunter" oriented. Some guys like it, some don't. The past 2 months I have a blind stages like the NRL Hunter series stages. Guys really really liked them. So, I will continue to have 1 NRL Hunter style stage each month. My mover should be up and running for Oct match, so that should be fun. To my knowledge, there is no other range in Illinois that has a mover for rifles matches.

I'm like @Badjujuu in that I'll run the match even if only a couple people show up. But, I am the range owner, which helps, too.

This "season", which started 2 months ago, I started doing a 25% cash pay out to class winners. Then at the season "finale", I will pay out the balance. So, a running balance of 75% of match fees will be paid out. Shooters like money!! Archers like trophies, but gun guys like green backs.

Also, this season I done away with the typical "classes." I have 2 classes: Heavy gun and Light gun. over 10.5lbs = Heavy gun. Under 10.5;bs = Light gun. I do have Young Guns, with the same weight classes. So, I guess you could say I have 4 classes.

Jacob Bynum and @Dthomas3523 was talking earlier this year about starting a Vudoo/Bergara Rimfire Series this fall. I haven't heard anything else about it, though. I shot Jacob a text about it last week, but no reply yet. I'm sure he is busy as hell teaching, so I'm not too worried.

Last edited:
When I started running matches at my range in south/central Illinois, I did the NRL22 standard 5 stage COF. That got boring for people real quick. So, over the last 3 or so years, I basically do my own thing. My range is fortunate enough to have timber. So, I typically have 3-5 stages off of normal barricades, such as rooftop, PRS barricade, tires, etc. The rest of the normal 10 stage COF is off of natural barricades, Trees, stumps, tree stand, etc. I try incorporate a lot of physical movement and make it more "hunter" oriented. Some guys like it, some don't. The past 2 months I have a blind stages like the NRL Hunter series stages. Guys really really liked them. So, I will continue to have 1 NRL Hunter style stage each month. My mover should be up and running for Oct match, so that should be fun. To my knowledge, there is no other range in Illinois that has a mover for rifles matches.

Jacob Bynum and @Dthomas3523 was talking earlier this year about starting a Vudoo/Bergara Rimfire Series this fall. I haven't heard anything else about it, though. I shot Jacob a text about it last week, but no reply yet. I'm sure he is busy as hell teaching, so I'm not too worried.
Getting a mover is my bucket list...

I'll echo what @dscl said. I will happily make the 1 hour drive to make it to the match. It's the first type of competition at ASC where I've been fully committed to coming every month (USPSA is second, but man 9mm is hard to find at affordable prices these days....)

Hopefully the 200 yard range is set up before my Vudoo gets in!

Please get that mover in and make sure it's available for those practice sessions!

I'll echo what @dscl said. I will happily make the 1 hour drive to make it to the match. It's the first type of competition at ASC where I've been fully committed to coming every month (USPSA is second, but man 9mm is hard to find at affordable prices these days....)

Hopefully the 200 yard range is set up before my Vudoo gets in!

Please get that mover in and make sure it's available for those practice sessions!
Thanks - it's great to get feedback from everyone who shoots the matches.

I'm going to Gadsden next weekend so I'll talk to their MD about their mover and see if we can replicate what they have.

I believe, with the folks I know and their skillsets we can put one together and have it running at ASC.

200 would be nice - one thing it's hard to practice at a "flat range" is slopes and shooting from natural obstacles (rocks/tree stumps/branches) and of course trying to find a target in a busy wood line or spotting your impacts without a berm behind the target....

Reactions: Firststrike89
Oh yeah!!!
Is there an ETA on the 200yd bay? After that how about some NRL22X on the 600? ;-)
I'll have to ask Todd about 200....as for 600 we would need different targets, as the clubs centerfire ones would be hard to see impacts on (i think). I've certainly stretched out my 22 to 600 (25 dial up and 11.6 hold over) but never hit the steel, just saw dirt kick up left and right of it.

It's certainly a option, and I'm willing to get something going if enough folks are interested into stretching their 22 out

I'll have to ask Todd about 200....as for 600 we would need different targets, as the clubs centerfire ones would be hard to see impacts on (i think). I've certainly stretched out my 22 to 600 (25 dial up and 11.6 hold over) but never hit the steel, just saw dirt kick up left and right of it.

It's certainly a option, and I'm willing to get something going if enough folks are interested into stretching their 22 out
I didn’t think about the targets, good point. While I’ve gotten hits on steel out to 505yds (88 moa dial, 6 hold over), I’m excited for doing real stages out to 200!

I didn’t think about the targets, good point. While I’ve gotten hits on steel out to 505yds (88 moa dial, 6 hold over), I’m excited for doing real stages out to 200!
200 is very doable with our current targets and it's not so much as seeing impacts, just hearing/seeing it move with thick steel.