Night Vision  NV and thermal kills...

Trailgomer

Private
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2010
Tin Top, Texas
Got one of three at the feeder 11:30pm Thurs. Low hanging pecan tree branches helped the others flee! AA 6.5 Grendel/ FLIR 233

Attachments

• F98C6F66-9294-4281-A4CA-C1E3843535E7.jpeg
    F98C6F66-9294-4281-A4CA-C1E3843535E7.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22

Concrete shooter

Carnivore in Chief
Supporter
Minuteman
May 6, 2012
Moore, ok
Hey folks!

I sold my Halo LR and finally received my new Halo XRF two weeks ago! Here is some video from 7-28-21, this thing is incredible! Conditions were less than ideal ( 92° and 86% humidity), but the image quality was still phenomenal through the eyepiece. The new lower f-stop lense is definitely an upgrade!
Shooting engagement are at: 1) beginning, 2) approximately 8:00, 3) approximately 15:00 and last minute of video.
Shooting a Daniel Defense 6.8 SPC with factory 120 sst.
Note: in engagement #2 I dropped a big sow with my first round, diverted a boar coming straight at me with the second round, my rifle jammed, had to clear it twice, and was able drop him at 190 at a dead run🤪. I finally have a scope that records video to back up some of the tall tales that I'm known to tell😁.

Jgunner

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 29, 2019
    Arizona
    Hey folks!

I sold my Halo LR and finally received my new Halo XRF two weeks ago! Here is some video from 7-28-21, this thing is incredible! Conditions were less than ideal ( 92° and 86% humidity), but the image quality was still phenomenal through the eyepiece. The new lower f-stop lense is definitely an upgrade!
    Shooting engagement are at: 1) beginning, 2) approximately 8:00, 3) approximately 15:00 and last minute of video.
    Shooting a Daniel Defense 6.8 SPC with factory 120 sst.
    Note: in engagement #2 I dropped a big sow with my first round, diverted a boar coming straight at me with the second round, my rifle jammed, had to clear it twice, and was able drop him at 190 at a dead run🤪. I finally have a scope that records video to back up some of the tall tales that I'm known to tell😁.

Weird. My halo lr and nox do not see antlers well. Maybe he is in velvet and still has blood flow? Looked like it could be the case.

Here is my latest, lil pup i caught sleeping. I believe he is from my previous stand where he was coming in so fast and wouldn’t stop, rushed the shot and missed . Think he wanted a nap after his near death experience
    E53228A8-E36B-4390-8630-F4E3327D0F57.jpeg
    6EDFA693-7CA3-4B61-BDCC-56793D4CFD12.jpeg

Concrete shooter

Carnivore in Chief
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    May 6, 2012
    Moore, ok
    Weird. My halo lr and nox do not see antlers well. Maybe he is in velvet and still has blood flow? Looked like it could be the case.

Here is my latest, lil pup i caught sleeping. I believe he is from my previous stand where he was coming in so fast and wouldn’t stop, rushed the shot and missed . Think he wanted a nap after his near death experience View attachment 7678206View attachment 7678205
    Yes, the bucks are still in velvet here so the antlers have blood flow and show up nicely on thermal.

Reactions: Jgunner

Jgunner

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Jul 29, 2019
    Arizona
    Yes, the bucks are still in velvet here so the antlers have blood flow and show up nicely on thermal.
    Up by my property i see these three bucks all the time. 2 mediums and one small guy. I do remember when insaw them a couple weeks ago, their antlers did show up big time. Totally spaced it. Thanks for the info!

diggler1833

World's Okayest Rancher and Hog Hunter
    Minuteman
  • Jul 22, 2007
    Oklahoma
    You sinners should know that once the bucks shed their velvet, you are going to have a hard time identifying them with thermal. :D

384 units need to be within 60 yards to really tell if it is a buck, and you have to be about 40 yards or closer to get an idea of the rack.

640 units are about double that.

Reactions: Concrete shooter

diggler1833

Minuteman
  • Jul 22, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Maybe a thermal drone, that way you wouldn't have to search around for 45 minutes and lose hogs in the grass ?
    Watch the video, it's an amazing piece of gear.
    Thermal Drone

Those are awesome...but this guy here has spent himself poor on several gun projects this year, and will be doing the same in 2022.

If only I weren't a poor.

8pointer

Major Award Winner
    Minuteman
  • Nov 20, 2018
    Maybe a thermal drone, that way you wouldn't have to search around for 45 minutes and lose hogs in the grass ?
    Watch the video, it's an amazing piece of gear.
    Thermal Drone
    I have a buddy who owns one of the largest thermal/NV dealers in the country he's hunted with thermal drones for years. Crazy cool Star Wars stuff it's been a few years since we hunted together that is still on my punch list to go on a thermal drone hunt. He will pull up in a pasture, fly a bit, spot and stalk and let the laughs begin. It's only $10k so everyone should have at least 2 of them lol. What a hoot sure would be great when the grass is all up to chest height.

shoots100

Sergeant
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Jan 11, 2010
    NYS Flatlands
    I have a buddy who owns one of the largest thermal/NV dealers in the country he's hunted with thermal drones for years. Crazy cool Star Wars stuff it's been a few years since we hunted together that is still on my punch list to go on a thermal drone hunt. He will pull up in a pasture, fly a bit, spot and stalk and let the laughs begin. It's only $10k so everyone should have at least 2 of them lol. What a hoot sure would be great when the grass is all up to chest height.

That's the Horta class of drones, the one I linked is under $2k and I think would be a good tool to find your kills, if you had extra money lying around.
    There was one for sale on here for $1,400.
    Since I don't hog hunt and I'm upgrading to a BAE sensor thermal scope this year, I'm already dipping into the 2023 budget !!!

8pointer

Major Award Winner
    Minuteman
  • Nov 20, 2018
    That's the Horta class of drones, the one I linked is under $2k and I think would be a good tool to find your kills, if you had extra money lying around.
    There was one for sale on here for $1,400.
    Since I don't hog hunt and I'm upgrading to a BAE sensor thermal scope this year, I'm already dipping into the 2023 budget !!!
    Ahh gotcha. My buddy in IN uses an entry level drone/cam with an ipad on the family corn dirt......somewhere around 8k acres. Daylight of course, but when the yotes are out he has a hoot with it and will sniff out the winds and get in position. Those devil dogs are not carrying off fawns as often as they used to now with him on drone patrol. Funny he is about as low tech as it comes, but he's had that drone working for him for a good 6-7 years.

Reactions: TACC

deersniper

What would BurtGummer do?
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Feb 22, 2007
    Northeast
    How long do these drones take to set up.

from pulling on to a farm to the drone flying around. How many minutes ?

Reactions: TACC

8pointer

Major Award Winner
    Minuteman
  • Nov 20, 2018
    I can't say as I've not seen it in person, but here is a link to my buddy heading out with it just so you can drool over the reasons why you know you are about to get one, but have not yet:)

jda2631

Private
    Minuteman
    Nov 10, 2009
    Mississippi

I've never used a drone with a thermal camera, but they are all about the same, just the camera is thermal instead of a normal camera. and they take like 5 min, tops, to get up in the air. most of the carrying cases you have to take the propellers off, so you screw them on. put in a battery. turn it on, turn on the device you are using as a screen, open the drones app on the device. turn on remote. take off. It's really fast.

You could do all of that back at the house, then get to the farm and have it in the air in like 20 seconds. just turn everything on and take off. Batteries in most drones will give you 20-30 min of flight time. Most have battery packs that can be swapped in about 20 seconds, then you're back in the air.

Reactions: deersniper

j-huskey

Jafo / Instigator !
    Minuteman
    Jul 27, 2001
    AL
    None
    Normally takes us about 20 minutes to crank up the drone, when running golf cart. Not a lot of free room to let it and the 30x30" carrying case sit on cart. We started looking at making a roof mount for all that junk, just haven't gotten around to it, yet.
    From the time we park truck, run drone, find target, unload cart, stage all gear and secure drone on cart... go for target, 45 minutes...
    For two ppl, the drone, golf cart, and gear, the drone slows us down.
    I now regret spending over 10k on it.

shoots100

Sergeant
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Jan 11, 2010
    NYS Flatlands

The one I linked can be set up in under a minute and is hand deployable.
    Watch this video.
    Drone
    My brother bought the non thermal version a few years ago.
    It has target tracking and hold position, that would be a real asset for a hog hunter.

BamaSE

Chairborne Squad Commander
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Dec 18, 2019
    Dothan, Alabama
    Broke in the new POF Revolution Pistol last night. Running the Reap 35 along with the old school AAC SDN 6 that has been gathering dust. Glad to get it back in circulation again. Temps are down and it is peanut harvest season here so the piggies are starting to crawl out of the swamp thickets and into the fields.
    202A0604-27B4-4B5C-8E02-42630D1394FD.jpeg
    64674910-28F7-4424-8202-9CBC3F60B361.jpeg

shoots100

Sergeant
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Jan 11, 2010
    NYS Flatlands
    First kill with the Savage Impulse and Thermion XG combo.
    This one won't be eating chicken for dinner anymore.
    It was cutting through the cow pen to get to the coop.
    I was waiting in a different area and spotted it moving amongst the cow.
    75 grain Nos BT dropped it.
    Very humid night and it rained almost every day of the previous week, but the XG's image was clear, even though it doesn't look like it in the video.

Aescobar17

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Dec 10, 2018
    Very humid night and it rained almost every day of the previous week, but the XG's image was clear, even though it doesn't look like it in the video.

Ive got an XG on my 22 Creed, and it’s a lot more impressive in humidity than it is clear nights. It’s been the death of a lot of critters so far.

TACC

Major Hide Member
    Minuteman
  • Jan 10, 2019

Can we get a buy 1 get one free deal?

diggler1833

Minuteman
  • Jul 22, 2007
    Oklahoma

Even with my gripes about Pulsar, I have to give credit where it is due. You can adjust a Pulsar to cut through humidity and have more detail during times of thermal crossover after a rain than just about any other unit.

Last edited:
    Reactions: shoots100

diggler1833

Minuteman
  • Jul 22, 2007
    Oklahoma
    One of these days...One of these days I'm going to be on it like doggone it.

But it wasn't yesterday. Sucked a big fat one again. Even forgot to turn my microphone on my Thermion.

Hooray for mediocrity!

Found Five. Photos only of four.

Attachments

• 20211007_232819.jpg
      20211007_232819.jpg
      911.4 KB · Views: 5
    • 20211007_232834.jpg
      20211007_232834.jpg
      825.5 KB · Views: 7
    • 20211007_232911.jpg
      20211007_232911.jpg
      946.8 KB · Views: 7
    • 20211007_232956.jpg
      20211007_232956.jpg
      951.3 KB · Views: 7

Baron23

Check 6
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Mar 19, 2020
    Maryland
    One of these days...One of these days I'm going to be on it like doggone it.

But it wasn't yesterday. Sucked a big fat one again. Even forgot to turn my microphone on my Thermion.

Hooray for mediocrity!

Found Five. Photos only of four.

That is a BUNCH of hogs, mate. Enjoyed your video and voice over. You have an announcer's voice and could do commercials if ranching ever gets old! :cool:

fanninland

Private
    Minuteman
    Feb 9, 2017
    NE Texas
    Enjoyed the video, very informative. Great shooting as well - when all hell breaks loose after that first shot it ain’t easy picking up runners, especially in tall grass, particularly for me!

I’ve been using the 6.8 120sst from a 12.5” barrel for years with great results.
    Now that I picked up an AR10 thinking about what a hammer a .30 cal 150sst would be…..good to know the interlocks are a budget friendly option as well. Thanks.

shoots100

Sergeant
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Jan 11, 2010
    NYS Flatlands
    This time around, I'm not seeing any dead pixels in your videos while your testing the .308 rifle with the Thermion on top.
    Different build specs on this .308 rifle ?

Reactions: diggler1833

diggler1833

Minuteman
  • Jul 22, 2007
    Oklahoma
    This time around, I'm not seeing any dead pixels in your videos while your testing the .308 rifle with the Thermion on top.
    Different build specs on this .308 rifle ?

I have only one new one so far, but this is the same Thermion that blew out dozens of pixels last year...I'm thinking (hoping) that I fixed all the bad ones, and than no more are going to blow out on me.

Main differences between the two .308s are barrels (WC vs. Criterion), BCG (WC vs. Fulton Armory), and brakes (VG6 vs. Surefire). I don't think that there's much difference to explain anything.

Eventually I'll only run a .308, but I still have three more new bullets to run in both the 6.8 and Grendel before I retire those to daytime hunting with the kids. I just really enjoy seeing how efficient bullet designs can be in terminal effects.

fanninland

Private
    Minuteman
    Feb 9, 2017
    NE Texas
    6.8/HaloLR
    BEF4F246-BA7A-4656-A78B-18AE1F37CAAF.jpeg

Spotted around 20 at about 100 yds. Tried stalking closer but they kept moving down the fence line so with fence post as a rest I opened up on them, getting a couple before they reached brush. The whole time this guy is not running away with the sounder but trotting up the fence line right towards me. I’ve got the LR on 2x so fov no bueno but I start throwing SST’s his way. He finally drops on lrbho 3 fence posts from me. I don’t smoke but if I had a cig I woulda lit it up lol.