• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NY Hunting

TheHebrewHammer

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
May 1, 2021
The South
I will be located about an hour north of NYC near the Hudson for the next two years. I am looking for a group of people or organization to get into Deer and Bear hunting while I am here. Also curious on the legality of shipping my hunting rifle up here such as necessary permits or wait times.

Unless you're moving to one of the five boroughs of NYC, there's no paperwork or anything for long guns. No need to ship if you can bring it with you. (That of course is not counting semi autos that may run afoul of the SAFE ACT (unless you're LEO exempt)

Besides that:
No mags over 10 round (unless exempt)
No suppressors, FA, SBR, SBS.

Handguns are a discussion unto themselves. Don't just bring any with you. A NY pistols license is needed to even posses. The laws, rules and requirements for them differ county by county so I can't give any specific advice there.

Reactions: 308pirate
I just want to bring my 300 PRC Ridgeline Ti up for hunting. Just want to see if there are any guys in the area who would have more info to getting started.

I was hoping for bear. Lol, I hope it really isnt that bad because I got my father and I 300 PRC custom builds for deer hunting in TX.

My Dad Bear hunts up around Long Lake every September. It sure is pretty up there. In 2/3rds of the State the Safe Act doesn't even apply because it's only been about 15 years since they legalized hunting with center fire rifles outside of the Adirondacks. The rule has been no magazines in semiautos with a capacity over 5 since that beginning point.

My Dad Bear hunts up around Long Lake every September. It sure is pretty up there. In 2/3rds of the State the Safe Act doesn't even apply because it's only been about 15 years since they legalized hunting with center fire rifles outside of the Adirondacks. The rule has been no magazines in semiautos with a capacity over 5 since that beginning point.
Don’t listen to this guy, everything he is saying is wrong. There’s always been a five round limit for long guns for hunting. The rifle use outside of the Adirondacks is bull, been areas way longer then 15 years. And it goes by county not state. The safe act pertains to all guns but mostly semiautomatic.

Wow. I said there was a 5 round limit, you repeat me, then say I'm wrong. It does go by county, but in general, upstate areas not in the Northern zone have only had center fire rifle hunting rather recently. The Safe Act says you can't have a magazine with a capacity of more than 10 rounds, which, again, doesn't pertain to hunting as there has always been a 5 round limit. What an ass.

Last edited by a moderator:
In some places way less than 15 years...

Catskills have been rifle for ever. Half of Broome and a few other counties too. And you think magazine’s is the only thing on the safe act. Think again.

Catskills have been rifle for ever. Half of Broome and a few other counties too. And you think magazine’s is the only thing on the safe act. Think again.
What are you talking about?! The Safe Act is some garbage legislation, no doubt, but I don't understand why you have to come in here and derail a thread with these antics.

In some places way less than 15 years...

I live in the finger lake region, have my whole life. Except during the time in the military. I’m pretty sure I know the laws and when shit changed. But hey you know more good for you.

Op the southern part of the state is pretty crowded with limited areas to hunt on public land. The 300 prc is a little over kill but is fine. Like others have said read up on the retarded safe act. If the bolt gun is the only thing you are bringing you should be good. There is lots of hunting to be had here. Read up on the hunting rules. During deer season there is a lot of stuff that changes by the area you hunt. Like for say coyote hunting in a area that limits shotgun, pistol or muzzle loader during deer season. You can not use center fire . Just do your research. If you have any questions send me a pm. I will gladly help where I can.

Reactions: TheHebrewHammer
@TheHebrewHammer Bringing a bolt action rifle with you to NYS is no issue. If Big Game Hunting in NYS
with a AUTOLOADING FIREARM it cannot have a magazine with a capacity of more than SIX rounds.

Some counties do not allow centerfire rifles for Big Game hunting.

West Point?

Reactions: TheHebrewHammer
@whatsupdoc yep, and thanks for the info. I know the bear and deer around me aren't scared of machine gun fire. Now that I know there won't be a problem brining up my rifle, I'm mainly looking for a club or group or even a single person to hunt with. I don't mind paying, and I wouldn't mind driving further upstate as I'm sure the hunting is much better. Any recommendations?

@TheHebrewHammer Bringing a bolt action rifle with you to NYS is no issue. If Big Game Hunting in NYS
with a AUTOLOADING FIREARM it cannot have a magazine with a capacity of more than SIX rounds.

Some counties do not allow centerfire rifles for Big Game hunting.

West Point?
It's five rounds in the magazine and one in the chamber for centerfire semi-auto rifles, semi-auto shotguns and semi-auto handguns with a barrel length of 8 inches or longer. https://safeact.ny.gov/resources-hunters One other thing to note is that NYS is not NFA friendly. Full auto, Short barrel and suppressors are a no go.

Last edited:
I wasn't very familiar with the Catskills myself, it being so far downstate; found the following in what is a thoroughly interesting read:

With respect to hunting methods, the use of buckshot was made illegal in 1940. Beyond this, the principal change in recent years has involved the type of firearm that might be used. Prior to 1931 there was no restriction, except that in Dutchess County from 1917 on, as well as in Columbia County (1917-19) and in Rensselaer County (1917-23), only shotguns were permitted. As the territory open to deer hunting began to extend further into agricultural areas, however, it was felt that the use of rifles entailed an unwarranted hazard. For this reason, only shotguns loaded with slugs (20 gauge or larger) and the longbow may now be used outside the Adirondacks and central Catskills. Provision for legal use of the longbow was first included in the Conservation Law in 1929.​

75 years later...

A new law expands the use rifles to hunt deer and bear in 11 upstate counties (Ch. 600 of 2005). In addition to Sullivan and Orange counties, rifles can now be used in Allegany, Cattaraugus, Chenango, Herkimer, Montgomery, Oneida, Oswego, Otsego, Schoharie and Tioga counties, as well as portions of Broome County east of the Susquehanna River.

The use of rifles for big game hunting is allowed in all counties in the Northern Zone. (This new law takes effect immediately).

Rifles were prohibited for big game hunting in the Southern Tier and much of the Catskills since regulated big game hunting started in the 1930s. Rifles were only allowed in the Adirondacks and northern Catskills.​
...​
In New York, for example, 24 long time “shotgun-only” counties have decided to allow centerfire rifles in the last 10-12 years, and more are pending here and in other states.​

Ok. My point was that rifle has been allowed in other spots than just the Adirondack mountains. And yes not all the Catskills where rifle. But some of it has been since the 30’s. The same amount of time as the Adirondack’s. But to be honest I have always tried to avoid down state like the plague.

Last edited:
I live in NY and am happy to discuss. DM me. Also, check out sheepdogwarrior.com for an awesome LR facility.

You need to study more and post less . You have spread enough bullshit .

"In 2/3rds of the State the Safe Act doesn't even apply because it's only been about 15 years since they legalized hunting with center fire rifles outside of the Adirondacks " . Have you ever been to New York State ?

Where did you come up with that Lie ?

You need to study more and post less . You have spread enough bullshit .

"In 2/3rds of the State the Safe Act doesn't even apply because it's only been about 15 years since they legalized hunting with center fire rifles outside of the Adirondacks " . Have you ever been to New York State ?

Where did you come up with that Lie ?
The Safe Act says you can't have magazine capacities in excess of 10 rounds and preexisting hunting laws limit magazine capacities to 5 therefore the Safe Act does not apply to this discussion.