• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

OAL variance

rc2125

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2007
Granger, Indiana
Have recently aquired a redding T7 turret press. Had an rcbs turret before the T7 and a rockchucker before the rcbs turret. Can't remember much about the chucker, as it was awhile ago and I sold it because at that time ammo was affordable.
The rcbs turret had obvious play in the turret head and would produce overall lengths that varied up to about .008 long or short. All new brass, same lot of bullets, not many variables......seen about .006 difference in bullet oal, but not sure if that adds up to much being that the dies don't really touch the end/tip of the bullet to seat.

The T7 has less noticeable play compared to the rcbs. Am still getting up to .004 variance, longer or shorter oal's. Did change bullets for this batch, and they vary by about .010 measured tip to base (oal).

Do the more supported/solid, single load presses produce less variance/run-out? Wondered how much oal's vary for others? Maybe I need to pick up an ogive thing to measure that way.....or does that vary also? Using an electronic caliper, new......and verified same with my other e-caliper.

Using standard rcbs seating (non crimp) die. .308 loads, laupua brass, 155 scenars & berger 185 mbt's.

Did just measure brass....have one lot of 100 that have 3 loadings, and a newer batch that is once fired. The older batch measures 2.018 to 2.026 case oal , once fired 2.008 to 2.016 case oal.

Re: OAL variance

I haven't found a bullet yet that wouldn't vary by a least .005" when measuring the OAL from the tip of the bullet. Measure from the ogive to the base with a comparator and with good bullets you usually will not see over .002".

David