• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Observations on Q Thunder Chicken Suppressor

hlee

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jul 14, 2012
    TX
    I took my new Thunder Chicken out to the range today. The purpose of the trip was to determine point of impact shift with and without the suppressor on 2 different rifles. My "test" was to shoot 2 shots without the suppressor, then 2 shots with the suppressor at the same point of aim. I would repeat for a total of 20 shots fired at 5 target spots. The test "evolved" as I went, but here are my observations.

First, here is the target. The top 5 spots were shot with my Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor. The bottom spots (where the test really evolved) were shot with my AR15 with a JP 6.5 grendel barrel.
    Slide1.jpg

Instead of explaining on this target what is what, I've broken it down some in the next picture...
    Slide2.jpg

Observations.
    1. The Cherry bomb suppressor pushed the point of aim (relative to the factory ruger brake) about 0.7 MRAD to the left.
    2. Impacts with the suppressor were consistently low, relative to the cherry bomb only.
    3. The suppressor appears to dramatically reduce the precision of the rifle relative to the cherry bomb only.
    4. The test was called short at 4 target spots as I was concerned the "with suppressor" impacts may be off the target.

After these 16 shots, I said "well, lets just leave the suppressor on the gun and see if I can get something. I shifted to a new target paper...
    IMG_2922.JPG

The first impact was low and right of the point of aim. I (over) adjusted the scope, made sure the suppressor was tight, and fired three shots. Those are low and left.
    Observations...
    1. It appears to take a few shots (and some incremental tightening) to get the the suppressor to group.
    2. More testing is in order before taking this to a match.
    3. If the precision holds up with more testing, this will be a great addition for match shooting.

It was starting to rain and I really wanted to see the suppressor on my Grendel, so I switched rifles. Because of the observations with the Creedmoor, I abandoned the idea of 2 shots off and 2 shots on, and instead shot to confirm zero without the suppressor. Interestingly, I saw the same shift of ~0.7 MRAD left with the cherry bomb, relative to the Little Bastard Brake that was on the rifle prior.

grendel.png

Observations
    1. The cherry bomb brake shifted the point of impact on this rifle similarly as on the creedmoor
    2. The suppressor moves the impacts low on this rifle, similarly to the creedmoor
    3. I did a better job of tightening the suppressor, as there doesn't appear to be a "shoot in" in this test.
    4. Accuracy is meh in this test with the suppressor, but I was fighting with a balky bipod that was failing at the attachment point. Accuracy needs to be re-evaluated.
    5. This is good enough to shoot a deer at 100 yards, so it is good enough for this weekend.
    6. The JP barrel is a hammer, and always has been.

Attachments

• IMG_2922.JPG
      IMG_2922.JPG
      364.7 KB · Views: 120
    I have a Trash Panda, Thunder Chicken, and Half Nelson. Mine have been incredibly accurate. Right now Im running a Brand New Proof 16" 308 barrel on the Q Fix rifle with a Thunder Chicken and the rifle is shooting its first sets of groups at 3/8 MOA with Fed GMM 168 Berger Hybrid Hunter factory loads.

Try direct threading your can next time you shoot. That's frustrating when your rifle doesn't play well with your can.

Side note. Sometimes with the added weight it changes barrel harmonics timing etc so you might need to do a brand new load work up for the rifle and to play well together.

Also:

Next time get a tbacc or dead air can ?

As it turns out, there is a torque spec (10-15 ft lbs) for the Thunder chicken and according to my torque wrench (can is still on Grendel) I wasn't meeting 15 ft lbs with hand tightening. It's at a wrench verified 15 ft lbs now and staying on that rifle until (at least) after deer season. This rifle will go back to the range once I get my bipod back to working order and I'll update the thread then. I hope to be one of the "civilized shooters" at the next local match, shooting a suppressed rifle..

I love my thunder chicken. Husky’s right, the weight could be changing the harmonics enough to make a good load shoot poorly, so that’s something to check if you have issues.

also if you plan on shooting a match, get a mirage cover. The titanium can seems to heat up real quick.

I tested my thunder chicken on and off, on and off a few times. It changed point of impact about 1 moa straight down. It is super consistent, to the point i don't even question it any more. I can't leave the suppressor on because my rifle is too long to transport and store with it on, so i take it off after every range trip. I've never had a problem with shifting zeros. I don't torque wrench it either, just two hand tight.

Just got a half nelson out of jail. I've only shot twice with it, but it appears to be just as consistent. I have a tapered barrel, so same thing, just two hand tight and shoot.

Changing muzzle devices will absolutely change point of impact, i don't care what it is. What's important is that it's repeatable. As long as it's repeatable you have nothing to worry about. If it's not repeatable, i would double check installation of the cherry bomb and the suppressor onto the cherry bomb. If it's still not repeatable after that, i would contact Q.

So I was having a rather meh day at the range. My dad recently inherited a 300 weatherby magnum and he asked me to work up a load for it. I've since decided that the 300 weatherby magnum cartridge is not a pleasant cartridge to shoot in a hunter weight rifle. The previous owner was a big man and had a lot of mass with which to absorb recoil. I am not and do not. But, the box of weatherby brand ammo I bought shoots sub 2 MOA and will be sufficient for my dad to take an elk at any range he will be comfortable shooting one, if he decides to put in for a tag.

I brought along my 6.5 Grendel again to see what it would do since I had torqued the suppressor (Q Thunder Chicken, for those just tuning in) to the manufacturer's suggested value of 15 ft lbs. I had a box of Hornady Black 123 gr ELD-M ammo that I have chrono-ed (without suppressor) at 2550 fps and my handholds using the same brass and bullet at a chrono-ed (without suppressor) velocity of 2530 fps. First up was the factory ammo; it made a group near the point of aim, but not an amazing group. I adjusted the scope and fired again. The group was pretty much the same size, but now more or less centered in the bull's eye. Well, that's good, but not match good. Let's break out the hand loads. The first group was also "just a group" and not amazing. Adjusting the scope put the next group pretty much on top of the spot.

Wait a minute. You put 8 of those little sticky spots on that target paper. You don't shoot groups when it counts. Just put one shot on each spot and see what happens. First shot went into the little sticky spot (Top, 3rd from left). Great, let's do it again. Okay, breathe in, breathe out, stay on target, no pressure, stay on target, you're head isn't square to the optic, stay on target, don't breathe, need to focus harder b/c the edges of the picture are getting blurry, don't move, stay on target, who needs to breathe anyway, PULL THE FRICKIN' TRIGGER (Bottom, left most). Well that didn't work. Maybe if we just get on target, breathe normally and squeeze the trigger like we learned on SH. Cool. Cooler. That'll work. WOW!

So, even though I was unable to print a "wallet group" with the suppressor attached, I am pretty confident in the ability of the rifle/scope/suppressor combination to put the bullets on target when I do what I am supposed to do, and do not force the issue. Maybe shooting groups is more stressful than I thought it is. All of those little holes looking right through the scope, into my soul, mocking me as I try to squeeze the trigger may be just too much pressure...

IMG_2967.JPG

I'm assuming those are 1" circles? If so, those dot drills are nothing to be ashamed of. Gas guns are more demanding of the shooter. They magnify your mistakes. I went through a similar situation recently where i couldn't shoot a decent group but could generally hit what i was aiming at, even small targets. I've started to come out of that slump, but i had to remind myself of the fundamentals and to apply them to every shot.

Did any of you guys happen to weight your Thunder Chicken out of the box? I ask as I'm nearing the end of a lonnnnng cleaning saga whew. Starting to get ultrasonic and flush sessions where I get nothing or maybe every 2nd or 3rd time. I don't want to keep at this forever going after 1/4 oz, but if they all seem to be right on factory published weight I'll keep going til I get there.

Over 15k rounds worth b/f I learned that centerfire cans don't self clean. I read 14.7 as the factory published weight, but sure would be great if any of you guys had the foresight to weigh yours. Thanks if ya did.

Did any of you guys happen to weight your Thunder Chicken out of the box? I ask as I'm nearing the end of a lonnnnng cleaning saga whew. Starting to get ultrasonic and flush sessions where I get nothing or maybe every 2nd or 3rd time. I don't want to keep at this forever going after 1/4 oz, but if they all seem to be right on factory published weight I'll keep going til I get there.

Over 15k rounds worth b/f I learned that centerfire cans don't self clean. I read 14.7 as the factory published weight, but sure would be great if any of you guys had the foresight to weigh yours. Thanks if ya did.
    Not totally fresh out of the box, but with less than 200 rounds through it. 14.75 oz on our kitchen scale. That is what I have written down in my book.

Not totally fresh out of the box, but with less than 200 rounds through it. 14.75 oz on our kitchen scale. That is what I have written down in my book.
    Thank goodness you did what I should have done. Thank you for chiming in. As of this morning I have taken out no less than 9 1/4 ounces. Yeah that bad.

• Wow
    Reactions: E. Bryant