• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ocw testing done,now which powder

Smkngstv

Private
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2013
edmonton alberta
here are my 3 targets today.100 yards,colt cooper 308.berger 168 bt target,powders and charge weights are on bottom of each target,i followed the instructions for the cow test of the web site.what do you think is the best powder and charge weight to use.

Attachments

• IMG_0960.jpg
    IMG_0960.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0959.jpg
    IMG_0959.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0958.jpg
    IMG_0958.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
Looks like it likes the 44.7 of varget to me, i done a similar test in my savvy 10fcp-k with 175gr berger lr hpbt target and it printed best on 44.5 gr of varget..........

not getting responses

hope this helps
308 colt cooper
168 gr.berger bt target
varget 44.7 gr.
photo 10

varget 45.6 gr.
photo 13

vititavugri n-150
photo 7
43.3 gr.

vititavugri n-150
photo 10
44.2 gr.

hodgdon cfe 223
photo 14
46.9 gr.

hodgdon cfe223
photo 5
44.2 gr.

Attachments

• IMG_0961.jpg
    IMG_0961.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0962.jpg
    IMG_0962.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0963.jpg
    IMG_0963.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0964.jpg
    IMG_0964.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0965.jpg
    IMG_0965.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
last picture

these were shot at 100 yards 3 shot groups using ocw instructions ,please give your options and thoughts on the best groups and what power is best to use

Attachments

• IMG_0966.jpg
    IMG_0966.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
Target #2 (CFE) target #s 12, 13 14

Looks like it likes the 44.7 of varget to me, i done a similar test in my savvy 10fcp-k with 175gr berger lr hpbt target and it printed best on 44.5 gr of varget..........

The purpose of OCW is not to choose the tightest group, but to choose a range of charges that group in a similar location in respect to the point of aim. You are looking for a resilient range of charge weights that produce a similar pressure to one another. In this case, I see the 3 charges of CFE on targets 12-14 grouping in a similar distance from the point of aim. After you choose this range, usually pick the charge in the middle of the pack and start playing with seating distance to tighten the group.

You can pick one charge that groups well, but that defeats the purpose of OCW.

Don't miss the forrest for the trees. All of those loads shoot well, and I'd bet statistically you wont' be able to tell one from another without burning out your barrel. Pick a speedy one, verify it at long range for vertical and go to town.

thx guys for input
Don't miss the forrest for the trees. All of those loads shoot well, and I'd bet statistically you wont' be able to tell one from another without burning out your barrel. Pick a speedy one, verify it at long range for vertical and go to town.

good info..... from the targets I`ve seen..... I think we are evaluating the shooter...... targets are that good.........

I'd try a few more powder and bullet combos and look for something a little more consistent.

Target 1 = group 13. Target 2 = group 13. Target 3 = group 6

POI is the same on the fore and aft group in each case and the groups are small to boot.

All my joking aside,,, Awesome shooting Smk, I'd just use the powder that you have the most of, or choose the powder that is easiest for you to obtain. I have a rifle that seems to shoot all charges well with minimum POI change, and I've found 10 shot groups are real helpful.

thanks dan,putting time in at range when we can,its been a long cold winter,my son who is 15 said he going to kick my ass next month at a 3 day shooting school by rob furlong ex canadian military sniper,i took it last year and learn so much i am going again this may but this time my son will be taking it also.we are excited he is a good shot ,better eyes than dad lol.so i figured i better get working on load development,need all the help i can get.need to load 300 rounds so have to decide on what i am going to use,have 30 lbs of the powders i tested with.supplies up here in canada have been pretty good.will let you know what i go with soon.
All my joking aside,,, Awesome shooting Smk, I'd just use the powder that you have the most of, or choose the powder that is easiest for you to obtain. I have a rifle that seems to shoot all charges well with minimum POI change, and I've found 10 shot groups are real helpful.

so this is what i have decided to load after testing
varget 44.7
lapua brass
berger 168 gr.bt target
coal 2.850
primer large rifle match magnum
g7 bc 0.231

put the magneto speed chronograph to work yesterday.20 rounds average muzzle velocity is 2775 ft per sec,sd was 26 ft.i am happy with the results.