• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Odd Hunting Experiences

MJBmxz

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2010
Chilton,WI
www.facebook.com
Any of you guys have some entertaining stories from your hunt? Bowhunting, I got excited hearing what sounded like a big deer coming through, it ended up being a neighbors cow. We got it back in, but my heart was pumping by the twigs n branches snapping, along with the heavy breathing before I realized it was a cow. Another time, I was watching a squirrel. It was sitting on a good size limb, next thing I know, it tenses up, and falls about 12 feet to the ground, dead as can be. I've heard lots of neat things, along with some strange shit as well from others out in the wilderness.

Re: Odd Hunting Experiences

I was predator calling on my ranch. We have several different exotics including Fallow Deer. Well they're somewhat tame since we don't hunt them much, so they don't tend to spook easily. tWell one evening I set up my FoxPro on the ground about 10 yards away from where I was lying in the brush and I turned on the cottontail distress call. Well I see this doe and fawn waltz over, look around, and leave. Whatever. 5 minutes later, the doe comes back and stomps my caller! I had my crosshairs on the damn thing's head until it left, contemplating squeezing the trigger.

This is a cull from last year that had a broadhead stuck in his low chest. The ranch I hunt on does not allow bow hunting, so he had to have come from a neighboring ranch which would have been several miles away at a minimum. The broadhead was covered over in very heavy scar tissue, but was still sharp enough to cause this large tissue damage, and apparently some abnormal process in his abdomen.

IMG_2210.jpg

IMG_2209.jpg

Never heard of a deer stomping on a call, but have heard of them doing it to snakes and other small animals lol.

That had to be painful as hell with that broadhead moving around, damn painful!

Towards the end of this year's spring turkey season I was hunting a ranch in hills above the Napa valley and found that the combination of my camo, stillness and favorable wind was too much for a mt lion. I was leaning up against an oak tree in my ghillie suit, so that explains the failure to see me. But the thing (I guessed it to be about 70 lbs, so it wasn't very old) just waltzed in the opening in front of me.

I pulled out my cell phone, which doesn't have a great camera, and took this video. Pretty grainy and hard to tell what's there if you weren't told, but you can see the cat moving atop a downed tree, then I start walking towards it to see how close I can get (not my smartest move, but I was carrying a 12 gauge backed up by a .357, so if there ever was a time to try this stunt, it was then).

I got to within about 40 yards before realizing that I was doing something very stupid, so I let loose with a god-awful bit of noise from my diaphragm call and the cat ran off.

Video