• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Odin Works vs Proof Stainless 6mm Arc AR build?

gritz55

Private
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2020
Colorado Springs, CO
Hey guys,

Anyone with either in the 6mm arc have any experience with accuracy? I saw one dudes groups with a odin, and they werent shabby, something like .6"

I'm leaning towards a Proof 18" stainless barrel for price and weight reasons. Although I'm seeing the Odin Works 18" bundle ( barrel, gas block, BCG) for about what I'd pay for the proof barrel alone.

This is a new 18" 6mm arc build in a AR platform for long rangeish shooting and competitions.

(I'm running it suppressed so I'm trying to keep the OAL down, and from what I've seen, theres not a large enough jump in velocity until you hit 22", Hence why I'm going with a 18", that and I prefer shorter barrels)

It's been hard to find reviews by guys, mostly videos of dudes singing 6mm arc praises while shooting 2" groups.

Thanks in advance.

Look at Johnny's Reloading Bench on YouTube he has an Odin Works barrel and has had pretty good results I haven't seen much of proof barrels, besides the carbon wrapped ones, and I've heard some concerns with wonky POI shift, I haven't seen confirmation of that. I imagine weight will be similar for each being a full stainless barrel.

Stainless Proof 18" barrel here. A couple of friends have them as well. All shoot pretty damn good. Mine is one of the top 2 or 3 shooting AR barrels I've ever had.

Reactions: gritz55
Don't discount a Compass Lake 6 arc barrel, they have criterion and bartlein, think kreiger too, and those three I've either had great experiences with, seen good groups consistently from, or are used by top level shooters. I have a Criterion Ultralight .223 wylde 18" chrome lined barrel and I've shot a few .6 and more that were at or sub moa 5 shot groups, all with factory ammo, even took it out to 1k, and after getting some dope it was pretty consistent. It shot something like 1.5moa at 600 with imi 77gr from a backpack so I'm more then pleased, especially considering I'm not an extremely capable shooter in that format. The kreiger and bartlien barrels speak for themselves, if they didn't print sub half minute groups from a well assembled upper and handloads I'd be surprised.

Not apples to apples but I had a CLE Criterion .223 Match 18" SPR barrel, and my 18" stainless Proof 6 ARC shoots better. Lots of little knothole 5-shot groups. I haven't ventured into AR's with my 20-shot groups... yet.. :)

I have a 24" CLE Bartlein 6 ARC barrel on order. Very curious to see how it shoots. I think I'm going to try it in PRS gas gun division for 2022.

Reactions: gritz55
Not apples to apples but I had a CLE Criterion .223 Match 18" SPR barrel, and my 18" stainless Proof 6 ARC shoots better. Lots of little knothole 5-shot groups. I haven't ventured into AR's with my 20-shot groups... yet.. :)

I have a 24" CLE Bartlein 6 ARC barrel on order. Very curious to see how it shoots. I think I'm going to try it in PRS gas gun division for 2022.
I would definitely put proof above criterion based on price alone, but I believe that cle sells the bartlein for roughly the same as proof and I'd rather that by a long shot.

I would definitely put proof above criterion based on price alone, but I believe that cle sells the bartlein for roughly the same as proof and I'd rather that by a long shot.
Yeah, was looking at that, the lead time was what was getting me. You think the bartlein will do much better than the proof? Also, I'm shooting factory loads, so I'm trying to get the best barrel I can within reason.

Look at Johnny's Reloading Bench on YouTube he has an Odin Works barrel and has had pretty good results I haven't seen much of proof barrels, besides the carbon wrapped ones, and I've heard some concerns with wonky POI shift, I haven't seen confirmation of that. I imagine weight will be similar for each being a full stainless barrel.
Hes got some great content, just watched his almost 2 hour video. He was getting around MOA groups with the Odin. with factory, which is what I'll be shooting, so I'd def go with the Proof now. Some of these replies are having me double think the bartlein route though.

I thinkif you're shooting factory then it'll be a crapshoot of find a brand it likes and buy as much as you can, which is hard in today's environment, I can't say if the bartlien is that much better then the proof, but I have seen that a good barrel will shoot more ammo consistently smaller. The people in this thread seem to be pleased with the proof barrels, shooting factory ammo, id go with whichever fits your budget better. Maybe go with the bartlein if its not too far out of your budget, you'll probably save the money it cost extra in not having to try different ammo.

Reactions: Btrain
This kinda shows what I'm trying to say. JP makes good barrels and out shoots the Krieger a few times, but the kreiger shoots better overall with a variety of ammo

Reactions: BigBC
In my experience with bolt action barrels-- at least 4 or 5 of each, personally owned-- it's a toss up on accuracy between Proof and Bartlein. I don't really have a strong preference either way. As far as that goes, between Krieger, Bartlein, Proof, Brux, and Rock Creek (cut rifled) goes, I'd not turn my nose to any of them. There are others out there that are probably just as good, I just haven't used them yet.

This kinda shows what I'm trying to say. JP makes good barrels and out shoots the Krieger a few times, but the kreiger shoots better overall with a variety of ammo

Yeah, that krieger was nice, and I know what you're saying, it makes sense. I went back and found a proof ss vs bartlein thread. Basically dudes saying they're both good, get whats available now. So I can pick up a proof ss 18" today for around $400 or pickup the bartlein in 3 months for $570.

I'm gonna go proof and keep my fingers crossed.

Yeah, that krieger was nice. I went back and found a proof ss vs bartlein thread. Basically dudes saying they're both good, get whats available now. So I can pick up a proof ss 18" today for around $400 or pickup the bartlein in 3 months for $570
That sounds likethe proof, I didn't realize there was that big of a difference, I saw proof listing them for 520.

Reactions: MarshallDodge
That sounds likethe proof, I didn't realize there was that big of a difference, I saw proof listing them for 520.
yeah, found em over at evolved ballistics. then a small military discount never hurts. I'll pick up a BCM upper, I like the tight tolerances of those. Even though my best shooting upper is a PSA I bought with a heavy 18" FN barrel. Prints .5-.7" groups all day with 77's. Sometimes you just get lucky.

Reactions: godofthunder
I like the bcm uppers too, and I've heard really good things about the psa FN uppers, I always look at the FN/Geissele combos they list and thing about grabbing one, usually end up just building an upper when I get close to buying one

I like the bcm uppers too, and I've heard really good things about the psa FN uppers, I always look at the FN/Geissele combos they list and thing about grabbing one, usually end up just building an upper when I get close to buying one
haha its always more fun to build your own. But yeah, the FN uppers are decent. People shit on their lower freedom level uppers, which may be shit, but the FNs are not bad.

I gotta' go with Odin because they're local to me and damn near everything they make is pretty fucking good.

Reactions: JS8588
I just received a Criterion 6 ARC from CLE but can't find any brass so not able to give a range report yet
I do have a Criterion on my 6.5x47L R700 that shoots really well

That video is fucking garage!! I hate that it keeps getting regurgitated as actual fact. The krieger barrel was definitely shooting like Krieger should, but I've had several JP Barrels, large and small frame and none of them shot over MOA with all kinds of ammo many of which were used in that video.

I've never used a Odin works barrel, but I've heard good things, but the facts are Proof Research Barrels are quality Single Point Cut Rifled Barrels on par with Krieger and Bartlein, at least their SS Barrels are I've also heard about the carbon fiber barrels having weird POI shifts in semi-autos.

That video is fucking garage!! I hate that it keeps getting regurgitated as actual fact. The krieger barrel was definitely shooting like Krieger should, but I've had several JP Barrels, large and small frame and none of them shot over MOA with all kinds of ammo many of which were used in that video.
Every maker can make a bad barrel, and that is definitely a bad jp barrel, and I'm sure if it wasn't a clearance barrel JP would replace it. I wasn't using it to show that JP is bad, I was comparing a good and a bad barrel. I don't even think that JRB was saying that JP makes bad barrels, he was just comparing the two, and he says, in another video, if it wasn't the discontinued clearance barrel it would proabbly be a better example of their barrels. Thats also why you go for a sample size larger then one, I think Frank has a video on the lrp-07 where he triple taps a plate at 1200? Yards and they're within like 6 inches, so jp can make a great rifle, and all subcomponents in them

I have the Odin and probably should have gone Proof instead. I really wanted an 18" and could only find the 18" Odin in stock. When I got it though the crown was off center... not sure how that happens, Odin took it back but said they weren't going to do another run of 18" ARCs for at least a few months and offered me a 21" instead. The barrel shoots fine, but it's really heavy and so limited to range use, now I have to build a lighter more versatile 18" as well. I also think the +1 gas system that Proof uses on their 18" makes more sense than the +2 Odin uses. Some folks on the big 6mm ARC thread have had trouble getting the 18" Odins to run reliably.

Last edited:
I have a +1 gas 20" stainless Proof in 6arc..shoots well but it was not functioning reliably as was. A .093 pin guage (per Proof's stated dia) would not fit in the gas port so opening it up helped.

Fixing to order up a Bartlein from cle of the 24" variety.

I have the Odin and probably should have gone Proof instead. I really wanted an 18" and could only find the 18" Odin in stock. When I got it though the crown was off center... not sure how that happens, Odin took it back but said they weren't going to do another run of 18" ARCs for at least a few months and offered me a 21" instead. The barrel shoots fine, but it's really heavy and so limited to range use, now I have to build a lighter more versatile 18" as well. I also think the +1 gas system that Proof uses on their 18" makes more sense than the +2 Odin uses. Some folks on the big 6mm ARC thread have had trouble getting the 18" Proofs to run reliably.
I think you meant to say Odins.

For reference, I bought a BA barrel because it was in stock and I'm impatient. The first one got replaced for accuracy issues and damage to my brass. The replacement shoots a smidge under MOA. If I were to do it again, I'd pick up a Proof stainless. They've been popping up in stock fairly frequently these days and I've seen nothing but good stuff about them.

Now I just need to find an entry level match near me to shoot with it.

I think you meant to say Odins.

For reference, I bought a BA barrel because it was in stock and I'm impatient. The first one got replaced for accuracy issues and damage to my brass. The replacement shoots a smidge under MOA. If I were to do it again, I'd pick up a Proof stainless. They've been popping up in stock fairly frequently these days and I've seen nothing but good stuff about them.

Now I just need to find an entry level match near me to shoot with it.
Indeed, fixed, although I'd add that with my saker mounted, my 21" cycles great with the AGB only cracked open 3-4 clicks, and using a rifle buffer to boot.

So I went with the Proof Stainless 18", got a solid deal over at evolved ballistics. My buddy is picking up the 16"

we can't find a damn 14.5 anywhere, besides faxon. And I don't think a 16" makes sense when youre getting close enough speeds out of a 14.5" and you're gonna suppress it anyways.

So I'll run some tests and throw up a review when I get her all built. just gotta get a bolt and a adj gas block now.

Appreciate all the input

So I went with the Proof Stainless 18", got a solid deal over at evolved ballistics. My buddy is picking up the 16"

we can't find a damn 14.5 anywhere, besides faxon. And I don't think a 16" makes sense when youre getting close enough speeds out of a 14.5" and you're gonna suppress it anyways.

So I'll run some tests and throw up a review when I get her all built. just gotta get a bolt and a adj gas block now.

Appreciate all the input

I'm not sure if you're aware or not but proof uses JP bolts to set headspace so if you can try to buy a JP.

I did an Odin Works it will build and 6.5 Grendel. Shoots beautifully sub MOA. They really do have excellent coupons and I personally could not be happier.
That’s an older pic, but threaded for a suppressor now with an IR hunter MK3 on top :)

Attachments

• 3B271139-FA7A-44D2-8486-9F515F8924DD.jpeg
    3B271139-FA7A-44D2-8486-9F515F8924DD.jpeg
    275 KB · Views: 320
My Odin grendel barrel just didn’t shoot well. Changed to a proof stainless in 6 ARC and it shot extremely well with factory hornady

i don’t think you can go wrong with any of the cut rifle barrel manufactures with quality ammo. i’d go with the proof as i know the ones i looked at were cut rifled. as to compass lake, they are great top notch smiths. i’ve had 3 of their rifles and still have a ar10 in a krieger in 260 and wish i had my 223cle chambered bartlien barreled rifle back. if their guns don’t shoot they will make it right where if you instal your own proof or odin your on your own. i don’t mind paying for the insurance or the krieger/bartlien option.

Reactions: bigjake83
I posted this before on the 6ARC cartridge thread. It has a CLE Criterion barrel and the accuracy is decent for a semi-auto. The groups ranged from .375" to .642" center to center and the average for the 5 groups is .467".

Finally took the new 6ARC AR out to shoot some 5 shoot groups at 100 yards with different loads. Was going to take the PPC but it was too windy so took the AR instead. I think it shot OK. Used Leverevolution from 29 to 30.3 grains and 80 grain Bart's with 0.005 jump. No pressure signs so might go higher next time.

UUVlxnlh.jpg

Update to the thread.

I went with the 18” proof stainless barrel. Jp bolt. Topped it with an arken 6-24 (friggen great optic). And she’ll print .4-.5” groups with hornady factory 108s

Pretty dang happy with the setup. Shot a few matches with it. It does it’s part. No problem out to 1000.

Attachments

• 62CD1E30-FAA2-4C5E-A67B-A4D60D73A409.jpeg
    62CD1E30-FAA2-4C5E-A67B-A4D60D73A409.jpeg
    443.6 KB · Views: 291
  • 1164BEA4-34CD-4734-94D6-7A1BD9CE1E94.jpeg
    1164BEA4-34CD-4734-94D6-7A1BD9CE1E94.jpeg
    630.1 KB · Views: 1,318
Update to the thread.

I went with the 18” proof stainless barrel. Jp bolt. Topped it with an arken 6-24 (friggen great optic). And she’ll print .4-.5” groups with hornady factory 108s

Pretty dang happy with the setup. Shot a few matches with it. It does it’s part. No problem out to 1000.
Rifle +1" gas?

My 18” Odin in 6ARC must have been a dud. I tried handloads using 105s and the 112MBs with 3 different powders as well as Hornady match and black factory ammo. Couldn’t do much better than 1-1.5 MOA.
Also, the gun would have constant cycling problems, even toward the upper limits of a load work up when I’d start to see pressure signs. Talked with Odin works customer service and they were nice enough, said they would take the barrel and repair/replace depending on what they thought the problem was after getting it back to the shop. That was over a month ago. I still haven’t gotten a return number. Maybe I slipped through the cracks. I’ll just say that for the amount of money I spent just trying to find a load that would group well, I could have just gone with a more reputable barrel. Lesson learned.

I have the 18" Odin. They are made from match grade hand lapped Bergara blanks. Mine shoots lights out. I also just built a 2nd one with a BSF Carbon fiber. Haven't shot it yet. My Odin was scoped during Assembly for perfect gas block alignment, and it was slick as glass inside.

It must be a 13" MCMR. A 15" HG will just cover a rifle +1 gas GB.
I thought it took a 15” handguard to cover a rifle +2. I have lots to learn. I am wanting to put together a 6 arc or 6.5 grendel pretty damn soon so I have to get this figured out. I’m ready to start buying. I would prefer to use a seekins select gasblock and have the lever exposed either on a rifle or plus one depending on barrel length.

I thought it took a 15” handguard to cover a rifle +2.
Nope, 15" will cover about 1/4" of a 1" GB.
My 6mm with a 15" HG and +2 gas for reference.
20211227_094216.jpg

I've got a +1 5.56 barrel on the way, should tuck perfect into the 15" HG on that build.

Reactions: TACC
With factory ammo? Sub-MOA all day long. Occasional "refrigerator quality" one-hole groups! The 105 and 108 loads outshoot the 103 in this barrel.

Update to the thread.

Glad yours is shooting well. My Proof puts the 108’s 3 touching and slings the other 2 shots 1 1/2-2” away. I haven’t been able to try the 105’s or 103’s yet. I’m hoping it shoots one of the factory loadings under 1 moa.