• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Oehler 35P Thoughts & Review

crossgun

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2008
N.E. Ohio
<span style="font-weight: bold">Chronographs:</span> For some time now I have had issues and found the whole chronograph thing very frustrating. I own two PACT devices which always measure different and every time I shoot across someone else’s I get different readings. At times the readings are a lot different. I do realize that there are many variables that come into play and that from day to day the averages may differ.

Guess the big issue for me has always been the fact that as an end user we never have a way to calibrate our chronograph to actually know if its reading correct and we base everything on the ammo. Unfortunately, to my knowledge or lack thereof there is no magic "proofing" round made at "X" FPS which we can fire through the chronograph to verify. Seeing each and every round fired is different it makes things difficult.

Forever I have been told that the "Holly Grail" of chronos were the Oehlers. Well seeing as a limited run of the 35P has hit the market I ordered one. I wanted to do a little comparison between my chronos using the Oehler as the benchmark by which to compare the others. Taking this even a step further I borrowed another newly acquired 35P from <span style="font-weight: bold">SubMOA</span> just to see how close each 35P would be to one another.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Off to range:</span> Shooting factory .308 Federal 168 GM Match I warmed mine up with 10 rounds and printed a summary. First let me say this thing was easy to set up and get going. It’s truly plug in play and gives you just the info you need. I then placed the second 35P directly behind and in line with the first to see just how much they differed. Guess what? They were <span style="font-weight: bold">EXACT</span>! I was amazed to see that the velocity reading was the same for each and every round fired through them both. Very impressive and obviously well made with high QC standards.

Next I compared my 35P to the PACT Professional XP and the PACT MKIV Timer & Chronograph. I did note that the PACT XP showed a difference of +3 to 5 FPS per each round and that the Pact MXIV varied by -21 to -23 FPS per round when measured against the 35P.

I feel that the Oehler 35P Chronograph is an outstanding product and well made. Easy to use and set up as it comes with all the needed items including its own hard case. No more dragging tripods and all that stuff to the range. While the 35P may cost a little bit more I feel it was worth it.

<span style="font-weight: bold">The Oehler is my go to chronograph!</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">RANGE NOTE</span> To make set up easier as I was always afraid of hitting a screen or not being in the "sweet spot" I started using a green laser bore sighter to indicate where the bullet would actually be. First I bag the rifle in on target and then insert the laser. Then adjust the screens as needed by holding a piece of paper or my hand up to reference the point where the bullet will pass through the screen. Just remember to remove the laser from the bore before you fire or things could get a little interesting.

DSCF0721.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">35P VS 35P</span>
DSCF0709.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">SAME SAME</span>
DSCF0717.jpg

DSCF0718.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Tell of the Tape</span>
DSCF0719.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">35P/PACT XL/PACT MKIV</span>
DSCF0733.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">35P 2711 PACT XL 2715 PACT MKIV 2690</span>
DSCF0727.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Laser Bore Sighter</span>
DSCF0726.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Green Laser Dot Projected at Screen to Reference Bullet Location</span>
DSCF0716.jpg

Re: Oehler 35P Thoughts & Review

Thanks for the review.I bought a real clean used one at a gun show about 2 years ago for $190.00.Its good to see them going back into production.They never stopped service on what they sold and seem to be a stand-up company.Oh yeah,mine works as good as the ones you tested. Pete

How many times do I have to run from the bench to the chrono for my initial set up??? Love that idea of a laser in the bore to be a guide at 35P setup! Less time = less frustration.

Ohhhhhh man i would so love to own an Oehler!

Thanks for the write up and pics!

Again, such a nice and consistent unit.

thank U for taking the time to perform this interesting comparison.Great post and pics

My experience exactly having owned several models of chronog.

great post. thank you

My 35P is going on 16 years now. I finally had to replace one of the shy screens, because one of the wires broke right where you plug it in the chronograph. Never shot a sky screen though

I have my skyscreen on a 4' pice on conduit, it fits in a Plano hard case with the cheap tripod I have, very simple to set up.

I did order one of the new ones back in early June, haven't got it yet.

Tom

Very nice people at Oehler!

Thanks for the review. I bought one of the new ones and have it still laying it the box it came in. Just have not had the time yet to get it out. It is great to have confidence in your chrono.

fwiw & imho,
They are great units... Excellent idea using the laser to center the bore to the sky screens.

Regards, Matt Garrett.
757-581-6270

My shooting buddy and I shot through both of our chronographs at the same time to check them about 3 years ago. We had about a 40 to 50 FPS difference in speed on a 308. His was an old Red unit he had bought to chronograph a bow 30 some years ago. Mine was a pretty new Competition Electronics Pro Chrono Digital. I figured mine was the accurate one. However I could not get my ballistic program accurate with it's readings. One day we borrowed an Oehler from another buddy and shot through all 3 at the same time. The old Red one was dead on. Mine was slow to the tune of between 1.5% to 1.75%. I sent an E-Mail to Competition Electronics and did not even get a response back from them. I figured the sensor could be adjusted a little to correct it. Neadless to say I was not impressed.

The Oehler is a slight pain to transport, and deal with the wires. However they are very accurate, and in my opinion worth the extra trouble to transport and set up.
UPDATE: I just went to the Oehler web site. The 35P comes in a hard carry case. Looks like it has the stand and everything with it in the box. That takes care of the transport problem.
Price was $575 plus $20 shipping.

As they say Garbage In, Garbage Out. If your chronograph is not accurate, then your ballistic program will spit out inaccurate garbage.

My Oehler chrono has never let me down. Wish they would lower
the price I would pick one up for gp.

Do you know what sucks? I just bought a CED M2 and range bag two weeks ago. Never even set it up yet due to weather. I hate that I didn't see this thread till now. Oh well, over to the classifieds it goes or if anyone has any interest, send me a PM.

I like the idea of the proof channel, gotta try it.

Oehler +1
and great service..both mechanical, maintenance, and answering questions by phone...the best...

I bit the bullet and ordered mine in July. Arrived in November. I expect this unit to last my entire life. It is very sensitive and very accurate. I first tried to use it at the C2 range in Va Beach. The 35p did not like the cell phone tower there at all. With no RFI/EMI it must surely be the most accurate and consistent on the market. I'll wager it is the only unit the premier ammo makers use.

I suggest you leave the sensors on the pole, slide them to one end, and bind the three cords together near the recording unit.

I drilled holes in two 4x4 blocks to serve as a support for shooting prone through it. The supplied tripods don't go low enough to support prone shooting.

If you shoot a lot, be prepared to replace the battery and paper often. "Two is one, one is none"

Dialing magnification down to about 6 power lets me see the rails to keep the bullets centered.

Seeing as this thread has been brought back to life thought I would let you guys know I also purchased the optional light kit for mine so that I can use it indoors. Works like a charm!

I am in the final stages of producing a new crossbow for production and shoot a lot of arrows through mine daily.

One of the best items I ever bought!

Was sick and tired of rolling up the cords so I made a Skyscreen
rail out of aluminum and numbered the cords. Then you can roll
them up together saves alot of time. Also getting rid of the conduit
keeps the screens from trying to rotate everytime they become loose.
9b8233b9.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johndoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was sick and tired of rolling up the cords so I made a Skyscreen
9b8233b9.jpg
</div></div>

Very nice, Johndoe.

That's a well thought out upgrade.

I really like my Oehler (I've had this one since the mid-90s), and it's the second one I've had.

But it needs a good tripod and more solid rail system.

With that being said, the only difficulty I've ever had with any Oehler chronograph was several years ago when my son nicked one of the eye blocks with a 44mag handgun.

Called Oehler and they shipped my repair parts overnight, a few minutes and GTG again.

This instrument has been worth every penny it cost, many times over.

I have been using my 35 for years and beaten the shit out of it, left it in the back of my truck in a ice storm (in a case of course) and left it for a week buried under ice and snow. Still works like a champ!!

Also has been extremely accurate, if I take the time to set it up correctly measuring exactly 10ft and making sure that the screens are level and trying to shoot thru the center of the screens I find that I get the most consistent readings.

I've been shooting a 35P for over 12 years (and bought a few extra parts along the way...ooooops)but, mine must work a little differently than the two shown above. My 35P measures the vel between 1 and 2 then from 2 and 3 thus giving you the proof part of the 35P. Once set up, there should be at least 1fps difference between 4 and 5 and 5 and 6. We have set the 35P up at 100 and shot to get real range data many times-this is more of an "eye opener" than 15 foot data. I am curious-how far apart, that is between #3 and #4 do you need to place the two sets, prior to showing any variation? Interesting test, thanks for sharing.

Myself and a buddy split one a few months ago

one of the best shooting purchases we have ever made

so much better than the cheaper chron's out there.

it works out great because it is not something you really use all that much so sharing it is not a problem and only throwing in a few hunderd a piece made it a no brainer decision

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762nato</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How are they in cold weather? </div></div>

I've used mine at below zero temperatures more than once with no problem at all.

Mine's going on twelve years now, I like the channel type horizontal mount, the next time I decide to redo mine, I'll use that.

Chronograph numbers don't sound right? First thing to check is the spacing of your screens.

I believe the CED system operates on a 2' spacing. I believe it also has a mounting bracket that folds. If you are using it on a tripod, the arms can overextend, thereby giving you more than 24" of spacing. If the machine thinks the bullet traveled 24" but it actually traveled 24 1/8", your readings will be low (It happened to me).

You can easily measure it but you must pick the same spot on each screen. I normally use the leading edge of the window.

If that is the issue, just brace it up so that the spacing is as close to correct as possible then shoot away.

We solved the problem with our CED by making an aluminum bracket that held the fixture more precisely. We then checked it against two other chronographs (Oehler 35P and 35BNC). It produced reliable readings after that.

This problem may not be singular to any particular brand of chronograph. Don't assume that prefab fixtures are correct. Measure it yourself.

Good luck.

Oh, by the way, Oehler equipment is not just top of the hobbyist heap, it can be found in most ammunition test facilities and manufacturers. Probably a good reason for that.

I want to thank everyone who gave an opinion here. I just purchase the Oehler 35P. I made the mistake of trying to save some money and got a Chrony Beta POS. What a waste of money and time. I plan to take in to the range and shoot the damn thing. I can't wait until the Oehler 35P shows up.

Jamie

I finally got my Oehler out on Friday for the first time. Very nice to finally get a chrono you can trust. The results being printed out is handy way to keep them. I also got a 4' rail from Johndoe and it works great, sweet combination.

I have been using a CED for a year now and have always wondered how the accuracy and repeatability was? I have had shooting sessions when everything I put through it was 100 FPS faster than a previous session. Does anyone have any thoughts ?

I found the CED to be very sensitive to the positioning of the screens. As a previous post mentions 1/8" makes a difference. If you are off that much from time to time it will vary.

I received my new 35p in October. I absolutely love it! I ran an M33 for 20+ years and a POS CED M2 for about 1 yr. Once I heard about the 35P I bit, HARD, and glad I did. With said I've had two issues with my unit but Oehler's CS has been the best I've ever used. The first unit would keep printing after I plugged in the START plug. Gary sent me a new unit without question and even emailed me a prepaid return UPS label. And just recently, the 2nd unit, after swapping out the battery, had two issues. The first was my fault. I was in a hurry to swap out batteries and keep shooting as I had a deadline. I did not return the battery to it's little "cave" and thus it got yanked around. Subsequently, the batter lead broke. A little soldering at home and the power fix was resolved but it would not turn on. A call to Gary at Oehler and it was determined the printer head was stuck in the "left" position and thus disabled the entire unit. Not to worry. Gary got a new unit sent out to me the same day, again with a prepaid return UPS label for the defunct unit. He also emailed me and asked that I turn off switch # 7 and the unit would continue to work but without the printer. BAM!!! Now that's customer service. I still got to go shooting the next day, as planned, while my new unit was in transit.

I LOVE my 35P!

Alan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtn grizzly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">GSSP

Where did you get the $$$ to buy a 35P? </div></div>

I hadn't paid for the other stuff yet.
crazy.gif

Alan

At Oehler's site it seems they're still making it or am i confused? I just want to get it without the kit. At the moment i cant justify putting down 500 on a chrono.

Necro post time! Sorry guys, but I figured its better than starting a new thread. Im curious how the back to back chronos could return the same value? Even back to back there should have been a difference of at least a couple FPS slower in the second chrono?

I have been researching Chronos and it seems that there is a lot of contradiction. For every 10 "its great" there are 10 "this thing is a POS". WTF? How does a guy make heads or tails out of the people who are just stupid and would mess up a peanut butter and jelly sammich from the guys who know whats up? Surely the Oehler can't be the only one out there good enough to plot ballistic tables from? How big of a difference will 1-2% inaccuracy actually do? My eye ball isn't 1-2% with a Mil dot reticle?!? LOL

For the money saved going with a CED or PACT over the Oehler I could purchase a single stage press and dies! Is it actually as necessary as some say or is it for the connoisseur?

I'd like to see more comparisons with this and the magnetospeed. After I did a comparison of a 10 shot string over a Pact XP I found that the Magnetospeed always read higher (but if you use ballistics calculators to match the data up based on the difference in measurement point) they were pretty much identical. The magnetospeed is WAY easier to setup and I end up using it to get the information I want/need more often rather than bringing it and not setting it up because there are too many people on the line or the grounds don't allow for it (steep hill just in front of firing position) or what have you... I also like that I can shoot at multiple targets with the Magnetospeed and don't have to change or adjust anything.

I'd like to see more comparisons with this and the magnetospeed. After I did a comparison of a 10 shot string over a Pact XP I found that the Magnetospeed always read higher (but if you use ballistics calculators to match the data up based on the difference in measurement point) they were pretty much identical. The magnetospeed is WAY easier to setup and I end up using it to get the information I want/need more often rather than bringing it and not setting it up because there are too many people on the line or the grounds don't allow for it (steep hill just in front of firing position) or what have you... I also like that I can shoot at multiple targets with the Magnetospeed and don't have to change or adjust anything.

Also interested in this comparison. I am really interested in the magnetospeed since it is so much easier to set up and much more compact than the 35P.

I've done a test of only 10 shots quickly and it was good enough that I bought one. I don't have access to a 35p now or I'd do more testing.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

The Magnetospeed is very compact, easy and quick to set up but if your shooting paper targets it will affect your groups because it's hanging off the end of your barrel or suppressor. The Oehler 35P is not compact, takes a little longer to set up, but it's a fantastic machine and has no affect on you target groups. I like them both but they need to be used for the right purpose. I have not shot them both at the same time for a comparasion test, I should do that some day.

The Magnetospeed is very compact, easy and quick to set up but if your shooting paper targets it will affect your groups because it's hanging off the end of your barrel or suppressor. The Oehler 35P is not compact, takes a little longer to set up, but it's a fantastic machine and has no affect on you target groups. I like them both but they need to be used for the right purpose. I have not shot them both at the same time for a comparasion test, I should do that some day.

Magneto does not affect my groups.

I got an Oehler because they are what many ballistics labs use. :)

Was sick and tired of rolling up the cords so I made a Skyscreen
9b8233b9.jpg

Johndoe, do you have pics or plans for that rail?

I thought about the Magnetospeed but I don't have much faith in it on a 50 BMG, even if it would fit over that huge Barrett brake. Anyone of the Vegas guys have one I can try to blow up? HAHA!